Awoo.

Nintendo to collect ad revenue on LP's of their games from Youtube partners

Chaos Warp

The fact is, Let's Plays literally cannot exist without the footage.  Yes, the commentary is the main attraction, but even when you have them on in the background and you aren't paying attention, you will look over occasionally, and if something big happens you'll immediately rewind it to see what they saw.

The food is the main attraction of a hot dog stand, but that doesn't mean they could survive without the street to open the stall on.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

The fact is, Let's Plays literally cannot exist without the footage.  Yes, the commentary is the main attraction, but even when you have them on in the background and you aren't paying attention, you will look over occasionally, and if something big happens you'll immediately rewind it to see what they saw.

The food is the main attraction of a hot dog stand, but that doesn't mean they could survive without the street to open the stall on.

And I agree with that, my initial disagreement was with what Crash said that they shouldn't be paid because playing games is a hobby....and I'm eating hot dogs today so you're obviously practicing witchcraft.

Well, if they aren't putting ad revenue on videos that don't already have it, I really can't see what the problem is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so my argument is flawed, but I still think it has a point. Video games are hobbies, not jobs!

You don't have a point.

Your argument is self-invalidating.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't have a point.

Your argument is self-invalidating.

You're right. He basically just said "I don't have a point, but my point still stands".

Hilarious, actually.

Edited by Cola

Nintendo needs more sources of money with how they are doing now.

Not really. Even if the WiiU does end up failing, Nintendo is no where close to being in danger of running out of money.

Edited by Vampfox

Wait, 10 minutes exactly, or can it be about 10 seconds more than that? I know about the below part, but I need clarity.

It doesn't even matter if it's not Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, or NSMB U. They're not targeting old games.

You're right. He basically just said "I don't have a point, but my point still stands".

Hilarious, actually.

I'm actually laughing at myself now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if people would feel differently if EA did this? huh.png

If they did then they would definitely suffer for it...there are SO many YouTubers who only post Battlefield content for example and their videos educate players and tell them tips which the game doesn't even address (like a super advanced online manual). If EA does what Nintendo is doing then people will lose interest and a large portion of YouTube will go quiet because of it.

Sure Battlefield isn't as big as CoD, but I'm pretty sure that it has a bigger demographic than Nintendo.

Edited by KrazyBean

If they did then they would definitely suffer for it...there are SO many YouTubers who only post Battlefield content for example and their videos educate players and tell them tips which the game doesn't even address (like a super advanced online manual). If EA does what Nintendo is doing then people will lose interest and a large portion of YouTube will go quiet because of it.

Sure Battlefield isn't as big as CoD, but I'm pretty sure that it has a bigger demographic than Nintendo.

Not really. Mario is far better selling than Battlefield. 

I mean, Ubisoft even showed us.

58b6b93026b9d87f702f4364cca5e56e13686949

So yeah, this will be pretty widespread. Nintendo games are pretty much the most LPed even.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

There's actually a case going down that could potentially improve things. Section 512(f) of the DMCA, which is supposed to enable people to fight back against bogus DMCA claims, is kinda been rendered mostly toothless thus far, but if 512(f) is reinforced by a positive ruling, it could give YouTube and excuse to scrap ContentID, as content owners would have to manually check everything themselves for fair use before they do anything, which would basically be Big Content's worst nightmare (outside of a complete copyright reform that takes away most of their power, of course).

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair I don't think it's wrong at all. Nintendo made the game and put money and effort into it, so why should people get to watch (usually those who haven't bought the game) and enjoy the game without Nintendo getting anything, sure they aren't playing but are still enjoying the music/story/visuals

I still think if EA, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, SEGA did this people here would be raging. But Nintendo oh they need that money.sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I still think if EA, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, SEGA did this people here would be raging. But Nintendo oh they need that money.sleep.png

People actually were Raging, but mainly because they were misinformed and thought this whole thing is a Bigger Issue than it actually is. At least Nintendo isn't doing what Sega did earlier and take down any Video that even as much as mentions 3DLand/NSMBU/MK7.

Really, all LPers need to do is Adjust to this whole thing and everything will be as usual, they're not throwing out C&D letters and Ban Nintendo LP's. All it does is make you unable to get revenue from those three games and ONLY those three Games (for now at least), so it's all not too bad.

also since People are posthing these,

by the Retsupurae Guys

People actually were Raging, but mainly because they were misinformed and thought this whole thing is a Bigger Issue than it actually is. At least Nintendo isn't doing what Sega did earlier and take down any Video that even as much as mentions 3DLand/NSMBU/MK7.

Really, all LPers need to do is Adjust to this whole thing and everything will be as usual, they're not throwing out C&D letters and Ban Nintendo LP's. All it does is make you unable to get revenue from those three games and ONLY those three Games (for now at least), so it's all not too bad.

also since People are posthing these,

by the Retsupurae Guys

Complaining? Yes. But Raging like people have in the Microsoft and EA threads, no. People seem quite happy for Nintendo to leave nothing for the Reviewers (who will be affected as well) and Let's Players, some on them who make their living off this, Jontron, AVGN, Angry Joe etc.

Its a big issue if Nintendo gets all the profit and extends beyond those three games. The article Darth Sidious brought raised some valid points about why this is a bad move. Also how is Nintendo going police this? huh.png

It doesn't look bad now but what if it is extended in the future?

Edited by BW199148

Let's Players shouldn't have presumed that they had any right to make income off of someone else's intellectual property to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 4

Let's Players shouldn't have presumed that they had any right to make income off of someone else's intellectual property to begin with.

Most of the Let's Players I used to watch back in 2007 or so seemed to sort of accept this. The introduction of ad revenue, specifically on Let's Play videos, kind of spoiled it all a bit when people realise they could make money off of what was largely a niche pastime done mostly for fun.