Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

And what is so wrong with being silly?

Because if those quotes are any indication, I'm supposed to take it seriously.

Calling it genocide really isn't too far away from the truth, if you take the brutally realistic view of it. I'm sure people here have said about as much regarding his use of animals and wisps. For the series to come right out and say it in those terms is kind of shocking, but I don't think it quite crosses the line.

Thing is though, what sounds more like Sonic? Or as an extension, a Sonic game?

"One second you're contemplating genocide"

Or...

"One second you're contemplating world domination"

Lets assume for the moment that this is Sonic talking to eggman, whilst there is an argument to be made that Eggman has killed... which line of dialogue probably best suits Eggman? That best describes what he does?

Eggman simmer down, It's no use give up, Blowing up prison island seems sinister, Causing humanity to become extinct by locking The ark on a collision course for earth, time becoming destroyed by two entities, chaos destroying a city full of people, dark gaia destroying the world and iblis destroying soleanna too, I could go on with sinister stories in sonic games so it's nothing new...

• Thumbs Up 2

"It might even open up the gates of hell!!!" ~ Sonic

That was used as a context for the place, not used as a swear.

You have Sonic's "Damn, they got away!" line in ShTH for that. :U

Not all of it. You've got overdramatic bad guys, emo angsting, a joke about Eggman's usual plots...it's phrased harsher than most games in the series would do it, but it's not anything super-serious. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 5

Thing is though, what sounds more like Sonic? Or as an extension, a Sonic game?

"One second you're contemplating genocide"

Or...

"One second you're contemplating world domination"

Lets assume for the moment that this is Sonic talking to eggman, whilst there is an argument to be made that Eggman has killed... which line of dialogue probably best suits Eggman? That best describes what he does?

The second one obviously. But in the context of the narrative of the game, we don't have much of a clue.

Most of them seem more like lines a cartoon villain would use. Especially with the stuff on kid's TV these days.

The "black hearts", "genocide" and "strangle" comments all sound like they're coming from Eggman to me. What group other than the Zeti would have dark hearts? The second sounds like Eggman explaining how they betrayed him the next moment, and the last one sounds like the Doctor expressing his anger towards them. Aaron Webber did mention that Eggman had some potentially dark lines.

Out of context they might sound dark, but I doubt the delivery will be anything other than hammy.

"It might even open up the gates of hell!!!" ~ Sonic

Used in a religious context and therefore not an actual curse or something dark and edgy.

I am inclined to believe that these lines are used in a comical context and are not entirely meant to be serious business. The genocide line made me raise an eyebrow though.

Why exactly is it necessary for the game to go full dark and gritty? I'd rather the maturity actually come from a serious character dillema or a touching emotionally deep ending.   Honestly these lines look like they were written by a fanfic writer.
That maturity is also what counts towards it being "darker" in context. Then again, mood whiplash plays with it like a hackey sack.

Wait...really? Sounds more like black comedy to me.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The "black hearts", "genocide" and "strangle" comments all sound like they're coming from Eggman to me. What group other than the Zeti would have dark hearts?

Why would Eggman talk about eating hearts?

If the Six think that Sonic and friends are villains, it makes sense for one of them to talk about their "black hearts".

Why would Eggman talk about eating hearts?

If the Six think that Sonic and friends are villains, it makes sense for one of them to talk about their "black hearts".

Because he's that pissed? Although if the Zeti do view them as villains as you suggest, then that would make sense as well.

My biggest concern is the "fat from your black hearts" comment.

Black heart refers to an evil person... so unless the Deadly Six have some twisted sense of morality, that means it's one of the heroes saying it. ...so who the hell would it be?

If Sonic said the genocide line, Eggman did kinda commit Genocide with the Time Eater.

Edited by PSI Tornado

Because he's that pissed?

When Eggman's pissed, he throws a tantrum. He doesn't start talking about eating hearts.
  • Thumbs Up 8

I dunno, has Eggman ever contemplated genocide? He doesn't really go out of his way to kill people, even if he doesn't care if casualties do happen during his schemes. Even the Wisps weren't being "killed", just corrupted.

Although I guess being used as an organic battery would be sort of like death, in a way ...

Not really, some cutscenes imply that while Eggman fuels his robots with the wisps, his major plot is to turn them all into Nega Wisps, and from that, turn them into liquid Hyper-Go-on for his mind control cannon, and at the end, the Dark hyper-Go-On fueled Black Hole turned back into the wisps, somehow, but they got back to their natural states... So yeah, he literally turned the wisps into fuel by making them evil then turning them into liquid Hyper Go on... Genocide-ish enough?

Eggman seems to say strangle a zeti but I've never seen eggman like that before since Aaron said we get to see a new side of eggman which I like

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if these quotes are gonna be in-game during boss battles or be in actual cutscenes...

The first three lines (“You're going home in a box,” 'I'm going to skin you alive,' and 'I long for death's cold embrace.') are in-game and most likely boss battles. The last three (“I'll get fat from eating your black hearts,” “One second you're contemplating genocide,” and “As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine.”) are in cutscenes

My biggest concern is the "fat from your black hearts" comment.

Black heart refers to an evil person... so unless the Deadly Six have some twisted sense of morality, that means it's one of the heroes saying it. ...so who the hell would it be?

I'd go with the D6 thinking that Sonic and co. are the evil ones.

zomom or sonic seems to say I'll get fat before I'll eat your black hearts before the fight or after the fight seems like a boss cutscene quote...

So long as we're not going into the domain of saying a swear every ten seconds because it's hip or calling an organised army of invaders terrorists... I think we'll be fine with the dialogue.

I'll be questioning the black hearts comment for a while. I can't see the heroes saying it... maybe Eggman? Sounds like the kind of hypocrisy he'd engage in.

Or maybe Shadow's involved after all...? I'm not sure how canon the DS events are to the console timeline, but in Colors it seems he's begun some sort of overseeing role to make sure Sonic's able to perform his duties.

So long as we're not going into the domain of saying a swear every ten seconds because it's hip or calling an organised army of invaders terrorists... I think we'll be fine with the dialogue.I'll be questioning the black hearts comment for a while. I can't see the heroes saying it... maybe Eggman? Sounds like the kind of hypocrisy he'd engage in.Or maybe Shadow's involved after all...? I'm not sure how canon the DS events are to the console timeline, but in Colors it seems he's begun some sort of overseeing role to make sure Sonic's able to perform his duties.
Like others said, the Deadly Six probably view Sonic and Co. as the evil ones, invading their Planet and all.

Oh wait a second. We're all focusing on the mass murder dialogue... we forgot that theres suicide in this game too.

‘I long for death’s cold embrace.’

Death's cold embrace is poetic language for when something dies, their body goes cold, hence 'death's cold embrace.'

Saying 'I long for' it, implies the character in question WANTS to die. They want to kill themselves or have someone kill them.

In addition, the character isn't saying "I want death's cold embrace' they're saying "I long for it" meaning they have felt and wanted this for an extremely long time period.

Now I am guessing, that what is supposed to be happening is that it's a threat to another character... however, it doesn't make any sense. To say 'I long for death's cold embrace' means "I want to die."

So thats... Genocide... Suicide... .. .... ... any other cides?