Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Here's a hint:  not us.

Maybe, but there's no indication from Lost World's ESRB rating that anything too much for kids will be in the game. I highly doubt the mere word "genocide" is going to traumatize any children, let alone a threat to strangle someone.

It's on the same level as Eggman's PA announcements to me. Quite a few of those had some sort-of-but-not-really-subtle references to death or at least injury.

As long as Eggman's the one spouting/receiving these suspiciously-violent lines, I'll have no problem, but if Sonic's the one wanting to strangle people, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  Also, that sweet embrace of death bit is just...so...what the fuck.  Seriously.

I guess I'm glad they're not pulling any punches, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit put-off when I learned of these lines being in the game.  Of course, I've got a very clear idea of what I want from Sonic as a franchise, and anything outside that is always a bit jarring, but...eh, whatever.

This game looks too great otherwise for me to get pissy about a few dubious writing issues.  Not like I play Sonic of all fucking things for the writing.

Oh ffs it's only a WORD! I bet once the game actually comes out It'll be nothing compared to what some here might think.

Besides, we needed a lot less light hearted material in our Sonic games! Isn't that what everyone's been moaning about since Colours?

• Thumbs Up 8

BEHOLD, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

IGNORANCE

Do you realize what Sonic's demographic is?

You gotta love that Ignorance biggrin.png

Edited by Da Victoes

All I know is we should probably dial it back. Seeing a few of these comments here is showing we're getting a little off the handle over a word that we're not even 100% on how it's used or what even (tried going back to find the original quote but hot damn has this been going on for a bit haha).

Anyways, just saying to bring it down a notch before it gets like too crazy. Like...genocide level of crazy.

*small applause* 

• Thumbs Up 4

IGNORANCE

Technically, it is us, just that we're sharing that with a bunch of other groups of fans. I think we should keep in mind that while they're not catering to our hardcore fandom's desires they are catering to Sonic fans in general.
  • Thumbs Up 2

IGNORANCE

I'm pretty sure Iizuka said something like "We wanted to bring back the platform fans, not just old Sonic fans, we want Mario fans and other platform fans to enjoy the game too."

Looking at this, Platform fans, Sonic fans, and Mario fans are what they want too. So, considering we happen to fall under one or more of those categories, Sonic Lost World's demographic is at least us.

And I don't even find the writing that dark or anything. It's normal by today's standards. I think Sonic Lost World is about 12+ in my region. Movies in that same category, I saw one not too long ago, say "Fuck", "Shit",  "Bastard" and so on frequently. Sure, movies and games are rated by different people with different standards, but the age the game/movie gets is the minimum age for the audience. If they are allowed to hear the words listed above, they sure can hear things under the topics of genocide, suicide, death and injury, or whatever else this game is offering. At least, this is what I think. I'm not trying to start anything, just saying I don't have a problem with what this game is saying, and the age rating is suitable for the game, and then probably even tame for the kids that scrape that age rating, seeing that most kids are playing 18+ games nowadays...

• Thumbs Up 1

When you're a kid, a TON of stuff goes over your heads. And even the stuff that freaks you out isn't always explicitly adult content. It can be really random what bothers kids, actually. My brother was creeped out by Mr.Rogers.

• Thumbs Up 3

IGNORANCE

Here's a hint: not us.

Here's a question: How???

At least they are not swearing.

So,how short is this game gonna be? how many levels we talking?

Even though its short,  multiplayer is included so I hope it's fun.

At least they are not swearing.

So,how short is this game gonna be? how many levels we talking?

Even though its short,  multiplayer is included so I hope it's fun.

Too bad its not online...that would've elongated the games lifespan a LOT!

Where did the notion of this game being short come from? Was an overall game time revealed or something? Or is it just another assumption?

• Thumbs Up 1

Where did the notion of this game being short come from? Was an overall game time revealed or something? Or is it just another assumption?

I guess it's an assumption but I think it's based on what we've seen so far.

I thought Colours was going to be short, but the various mini acts drag the overall experience out, I think that'll be the case this time, but with more refined acts focusing on 3D parkour, 2D platforming and High Speed running per level, so I'm expecting it to be as long as my Colours Experience which was literally just over a day for me.

Well I mean w/out collecting all the red rings I finished colors in about 5 hours according to the wii message board and generations in 3 hours, not including every mission and red ring. Since the acts we've seen so far are pretty short (2-3 min.). I'm not surprised anyone thinks it's going to be short, although that timer could elongate things. >=D
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic games are usually short, except when they're stuffed with a ton of padding and fake longevity. Like Sonic Unleashed. That game had so much to do that it stretched out the game, but so much of it was collecting stuff and town missions. Or games like Heroes, which made you beat the game four times with different teams. Sonic games are short without all that, and Sega has deliberately cut a lot of that stuff from the newer titles.

I'm opportunistic about Lost World though, I think it'll take a bit longer than Colors. It's not a big deal though, the classics were six zones. Just give us a lot of stuff to do in the levels, and we'll have replay value.

It really depends on how difficult the game is to complete; Its taken me a few hours to beat Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but Colors/Generations are criminally short clocking in at a little over three hours. This game better have a decent difficulty curve to have some bit of longevity, because I'm sick of these short ass games. A friend of mine who barely plays Sonic beat Generations in two hours and said it was too short.

• Thumbs Up 2

Uhh, it may be because im good at the game or whatever, but it takes me way less time to be Sonic 2 than Colors, easily. Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Mmmm maybe it's longer (though I still kinda doubt it, though it probably is longer than Gens) but definitely not Sonic 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uhh, it may be because im good at the game or whatever, but it takes me way less time to be Sonic 2 than Colors, easily. Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Mmmm maybe it's longer (though I still kinda doubt it, though it probably is longer than Gens) but definitely not Sonic 2.

Well obviously skill has a lot to do with it, but generally speaking its a lot less of a hassle to beat Colors, even on the first run.

I can clock Sonic 2 with all Emeralds in under an hour, that definitely wasn't the case with Colours.

I don't really care how long it is, as long as it's longer than Generations and the story is Engaging.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only a few more days until Summer of Sonic starts. I know I asked this before, but I wonder if we'll get any news of this game by then?

Do you guys forget why you even play Sonic games????

If you think Sonic should be a 20 hour game that you play once and then put it back in the shelf, Sonic is not the franchise for you. Let's put titles that artificially increased replayability: that includes the Adventure games, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, '06, and Night Unleashed.

Let's take what's left: the Genesis titles, and Day Unleashed to today. The levels in those games are for the most part short, because they are intended to be played over and over and over and over again. Each time you find a new path or you play the same path faster, better, not taking as many hits, etc...

Sonic is at his best when it's about perfecting your gameplay. It's not about becoming immersed in the Greatest Story Ever Told in the History of Gaming. It's about being the best you can be through practice, practice, and practice.

Edit: My goal is not to tell people how to play Sonic, but just to keep their expectations in the right places.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 8

There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to be longer, dude. It's not always reasonable from the developer's perspective, but from the fan's side, there's really no argument against having more fun content.

Also if Unleashed Day wanted you to replay it over and over, it shouldn't have been so shallow.

• Thumbs Up 7