Carbo

Sonic Lost World Announced

I don't get the problem here still...

We don't even know the context yet. And Genocide, whilst not explicitly mentioned, has happened, or has at least been attempted.

Holy shit people are looking way too far into this

I don't think we are.

In fact the people who aren't too crazy on it so far have actually put up reasonable complaints about it if you ask me. Not sure how this is looking too deep into it or any of the other put downs that myself and everybody else who dislikes it have had thrown their way in the last 24 hours.

The fact that we're discussing the simply the word "Genocide" as if it's a sudden shock or something goes to show how much of a knee jerk reaction people have to just about anything with dark connotations.

Meanwhile, other cartoons in the past and the present get away with even heavier stuff than that....

Now imagine if Genocide City Zone never had its name changed and was never scrapped from Sonic 2's development.

This is called a Golden Cannon. I guess, it may have a level shortcut or lead to hidden places. So it's like a second pathway to the goal capsule I think.

Ah.. Thank You! Now I recognize it.

Yea, I know that there are Golden Cannons in this game... I was just blind. ph34r.png  

Now imagine if Genocide City Zone never had its name changed and was never scrapped from Sonic 2's development.

Would feel out of place as there isn't any genocide going on there...

Funny thing about that name change is that they didn't know what it meant before scrapping the name as they simply thought it sounded cool at the time from what I've heard.

It all make sense now!

The reason why Sonic's family hasn't appeared is because Eggman killed them all.........but Sonic. So that's why the genocide line is there, Sonic is obviously referring to the murder of his family.......

Now that is looking too far into it.

The fact that we're discussing the simply the word "Genocide" as if it's a sudden shock or something goes to show how much of a knee jerk reaction people have to just about anything with dark connotations.

Meanwhile, other cartoons in the past and the present get away with even heavier stuff than that....

And this is why we can't have nice things. The present is a lot more family friendly than what was available 10 years ago. Can't upset those soccer moms.

Here's a hint:  not us.

Maybe, but there's no indication from Lost World's ESRB rating that anything too much for kids will be in the game. I highly doubt the mere word "genocide" is going to traumatize any children, let alone a threat to strangle someone.

It's on the same level as Eggman's PA announcements to me. Quite a few of those had some sort-of-but-not-really-subtle references to death or at least injury.

As long as Eggman's the one spouting/receiving these suspiciously-violent lines, I'll have no problem, but if Sonic's the one wanting to strangle people, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  Also, that sweet embrace of death bit is just...so...what the fuck.  Seriously.

I guess I'm glad they're not pulling any punches, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit put-off when I learned of these lines being in the game.  Of course, I've got a very clear idea of what I want from Sonic as a franchise, and anything outside that is always a bit jarring, but...eh, whatever.

This game looks too great otherwise for me to get pissy about a few dubious writing issues.  Not like I play Sonic of all fucking things for the writing.

BEHOLD, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

IGNORANCE

Do you realize what Sonic's demographic is?

You gotta love that Ignorance biggrin.png

Edited by Da Victoes

All I know is we should probably dial it back. Seeing a few of these comments here is showing we're getting a little off the handle over a word that we're not even 100% on how it's used or what even (tried going back to find the original quote but hot damn has this been going on for a bit haha).

Anyways, just saying to bring it down a notch before it gets like too crazy. Like...genocide level of crazy.

*small applause* 

IGNORANCE

Technically, it is us, just that we're sharing that with a bunch of other groups of fans. I think we should keep in mind that while they're not catering to our hardcore fandom's desires they are catering to Sonic fans in general.

IGNORANCE

I'm pretty sure Iizuka said something like "We wanted to bring back the platform fans, not just old Sonic fans, we want Mario fans and other platform fans to enjoy the game too."

Looking at this, Platform fans, Sonic fans, and Mario fans are what they want too. So, considering we happen to fall under one or more of those categories, Sonic Lost World's demographic is at least us.

And I don't even find the writing that dark or anything. It's normal by today's standards. I think Sonic Lost World is about 12+ in my region. Movies in that same category, I saw one not too long ago, say "Fuck", "Shit",  "Bastard" and so on frequently. Sure, movies and games are rated by different people with different standards, but the age the game/movie gets is the minimum age for the audience. If they are allowed to hear the words listed above, they sure can hear things under the topics of genocide, suicide, death and injury, or whatever else this game is offering. At least, this is what I think. I'm not trying to start anything, just saying I don't have a problem with what this game is saying, and the age rating is suitable for the game, and then probably even tame for the kids that scrape that age rating, seeing that most kids are playing 18+ games nowadays...