Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

The reason that the classics work at being short but incredibly replayable games is because of the depth to the gameplay and the exportation factor, how real skill factors into the gameplay and how you can still find things years after you bought the game. This would work with the 3d games too........................if they had the same depth and exploration factor. Some do, but not to the extent of the classics, so not enough for it to work well. 

The reason that the classics work at being short but incredibly replayable games is because of the depth to the gameplay and the exportation factor, how real skill factors into the gameplay and how you can still find things years after you bought the game. This would work with the 3d games too........................if they had the same depth and exploration factor. Some do, but not to the extent of the classics, so not enough for it to work well.

That's missing the point; regardless if the classics have more depth or not, the 3D games generally had longer experiences regardless of their actual quality, and it's a bit daft to pay full retail for a short ass game. It's a personal preference, but not an unreasonable one.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's missing the point; regardless if the classics have more depth or not, the 3D games generally had longer experiences regardless of their actual quality, and it's a bit daft to pay full retail for a short ass game. It's a personal preference, but not an unreasonable one.

People paid full retail price for the classic games back in the day, why could't they pay full price for a short but incredibly replayable game now?

And often times the longer experience in 3d games was due to padding anyway.

People paid full retail price for the classic games back in the day, why could't they pay full price for a short but incredibly replayable game now?

Because games nowadays offer more and unique content than what was even technologically possible back then, thus people are going to value games differently than they actually would in the past?

• Thumbs Up 4

Because games nowadays offer more and unique content then what was even technologically possible back then, thus people are going to value games differently than they actually would in the past?

What do you mean by "value games differently"? Because if that means nowadays we can get more for our money, I believe an arcade-y short but insanely replayable title (which is what the Classic Sonic games are) can still provide great bang-for-the-buck due to how many times one can replay it.

Because games nowadays offer more and unique content than what was even technologically possible back then, thus people are going to value games differently than they actually would in the past?

^^

This so much, also because older games didn't have the ability to save if I'm right? Or a lot of them didn't, so unless you we're leaving it on overnight then you would hate to have to redo all of a 5-6 hour game all over again.

I have literally no money and I would LOVE to get myself a game that lasts ages! Theist two purchases I made were new leaf and skyward sword, both have given me hours of run through and I've actually decided I WANT to try the skyward sword second quest (I never do them). I don see it knhereny wrong to want to have 4-6 hours of game time for a full price retail game, I remember actually getting upset when I got riders SECOND HAND! and I beat it in a night. Also while I enjoyed colours I found it painfully short. I loved the adventures for the actual gameplay length of the main story, that's why I always buy a main series Zelda or mario because I know it'll take me a good few days ( of straight playing) or maybe up to a couple of weeks.

Even games I have played nerumerous times like Ocarina of time, that I can so fairly quickly I like to have some length to them so I can enjoy playing them again, even without all the side quests and whatnot.

Also I don't see why people are arguing "we want longer games" against "we want replayability", why do we HAVE to have a compromise? Why can't we have a Sonic game with 4-6 or even 8 hours of play that is still very replayable? You'd have the length of the main plot to enjoy and then tons of different levels aswell! That would be the ideal for me

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 3

What do you mean by "value games differently"? Because if that means nowadays we can get more for our money, I believe an arcade-y short but insanely replayable title (which is what the Classic Sonic games are) can still provide great bang-for-the-buck due to how many times one can replay it.

I mean: we are in a completely different era of the game industry than the platformer-laden 90s, thus it's nonsensical to even ask the question of why people- especially those who have now grown into adults since then- do not use the same standards of buying games that they may have used to. Games are not mainly short arcade experiences anymore, essentially the most common choice people had back then. We now have full-blown computer-generated extravanganzas where it is possible to compete against the entire world with a simple internet connection. To completely ignore this kind of technological advancement and industry standardization and ask why people aren't as willing to pay full price for a two hour game that may have some theoretical years' long "replay value" anymore is absolutely silly.

Emphasis on that may have: I find replay value is an extremely tenuous variable to be actively slapping down large amounts of money on unless I know for sure what I'm getting into, such as with CoD's multiplayer. Because what if I don't like or care for the secondary content? What if I don't find the game worth replaying, over and over and over, for twenty something years? Even if the game is really, really good? Not everyone is going to get the same replay value out of the same game. I played Colors once and put it down, while others have clocked in over 100 hours, while I know I've clocked longer times for Unleashed yet some people put it down after beating it.

Overall, replay value is something you can only know exists personally for you once you've purchased the game in the first place, so to me it's just icing on the cake. It will rarely be something I base an entire purchase around because I can't even make a general prediction that it'll actually be enticing enough for me to indulge in and thus justify the price of an otherwise really short game. It would be on par with forcing me to slap down an extra $20 for mandatory DLC for a game, and I didn't know what the DLC was. And I refuse to pay $20 for a hat.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll vouch for the wishing for a longer length comment.

Sonic is inherently hit the hardest by the fetish for graphics. SEGA not only has a character that runs fast, they have to put considerable effort into the worlds he runs through. What takes Mario or Niko Bellic an hour to run through he can do in minutes, that boost technique not helping in the slightest. Throw in SEGA's often not being financially stable, and it goes without saying there seems to be a design trap inherent to the games.

So, while there's a mixed reception for the cartoony graphics of Lost World... I'm hoping it takes enough stress off the graphics side of design they can focus on the actual length and gameplay. Every dollar not spent making it gorgeous like Generations can be spent adding an extra few feet of a less-detailed stage.

Besides, if we're aiming for a simpler plot, why not a simpler world design too? When we see the size of the budgets going into some games these days... can't we see maybe there's a bit of a problem in game design?

It's a bit of a shock, yes, but I can get down with the "Sonic as a playable cartoon" feel. The businessperson in me most certainly can as well.

I'm perfectly fine with Sonic turning into a mild Happy Tree Friends/

Well, given that the writer is the same one who writes that...

I believe we know which port this ship is sailing towards!

Before we know it Knuckles will die a fiery, awful death, then respawn and say he had an extra life. (Hey it worked for Sonic the Comic Online)

It would be grand if the machines at Boom and SOS had a cutscene or two so we could maybe get a peek at which character is saying these quotes...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I'm also with the crowd of people who doesn't mind length of the main game as long as I feel like I've made a worthwhile investment and that the padding in the game is positive padding that actually makes the overall experience more enjoyable yet still relevant to the game overall.  As overrated as I think it is amongst the general audience, I think SA2/B triumphed quite well in this regard.  Even if you excluding the different gameplay styles (large thing to exclude but hear me out) and only had Sonic and Shadow levels left you'd still have 10 levels (11 counting Cannon's Core and not including bosses) with 50 different missions (again 55 including Cannon's Core) as well as competitive multiplayer racing and Chao (which extended the life of the game for many by a lot even though I personally lost interest in them).  Not to mention a lot of this additional content was pretty dang challenging, and demanding a variety of different skills from the player.

I'm glad at least Lost World's bringing back actual competitive multiplayer again.  Assuming it will be stuff like racing through stages (judging by the official Sega site description: Race friends in high speed multiplayer races. Take them down across a range of ultra-competitive levels & modes - it’s the ultimate supersonic showdown! ), we haven't had that kind of multiplayer since 06 and it hasn't been done decently since SA2B.  Shame only the 3DS version has online play.  Seriously missed opportunity there.

Now I noticed that Lost World goes by what looks like a cumulative score ala 2D Mario (notice how more remaining time, higher rings and more animals collected mean a higher end score but don't give a rank so it seems reasonable to assume a cumulative score is the case).  Could this mean that as your score goes up you get unlock more?  In addition to red rings and number of animals on their own unlocking stuff (as stated in the initial IGN preview) what could the score have to do with it?  Or could it be like 2D Mario score and be completely useless and pointless (seriously it boggles my mind as to why it's even there)

The multiplayer experience is grand in its ability to turn a game into a social occasion, and one much cheaper than going out to a movie or the bar.

Assuming this game allows online multiplayer or split-screen it would be quite grand... Sonic is too fast for multiplayer to remain on one screen and still be fun.

Plus we all know how humorous it would be to fight over who gets to use the Wii U versus gamepad.

• Thumbs Up 1

So a new trailer was just shown on the SoS live stream...............and it looked AWESOME. They showed some of the jungle level, which was definitely showing some of the best level design from Lost World so far, and the 3d desert level looked cool too. The 2d Desert level was also really cool looking, best 2d level I've seen from the game thus far IMO. And that music, whatever level it was from, was AWESOME. AWESOME TRAILER, HYPE LEVEL THROUGH THE FUCKING ROOF!

Now I'll just wait here and wait for it (my hype) to get taken down by something again, but hopefully that won't happen. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

DID YOU SEE THE DESERT LEVEL!? THERE'S A REASON IT'S SO BIG.

YOU'RE BEING CHASED BY GIANT WORMS WITH ZOMOM MOUTHS

YOU GOT TO KEEP MOVING AND I THINK MY HYPE FOR THIS GAME EXCELLED PAST THE HEAVENS

*passes out*

I'm so sorry for the CAPS!!! but man, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

ASDFGHJKLSDSFGH YES, JUST YES.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 3

You english bastards, see this is why it sucks to be American.

It was on the public live stream for everyone all around the world to see...............

• Thumbs Up 2

OMFG I NEED THIS GAME NOW! I don't even want it, I NEED IT! HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING!

Did someone manage to upload it yet? Or did you manage to catch in the stream? If it was uploaded, LINK NOW!

Saw the trailer, and it was nowhere near as good as you people are making it out to be.

It's pretty fucking good, and that music

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw the trailer, and it was nowhere near as good as you people are making it out to be.

It's pretty fucking good, and that music

HYPE KILLER!! *shakes fist*

*see's blue text*

oh, IT WAS STILL AWESOME

It was on the public live stream for everyone all around the world to see...............

See, I didn't even know about this. Whatever, its gonna be on Youtube soon anyway.

to be fair on those who missed it, it went like this.

It was after Iizuka's Q&A, but it was blocked from the stream for the people there, exclusivley.

Then about 20 minutes later, Sonic Show just randomly put it on after Sonic Shorts with no warning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck I missed this and I could've watched it D:  

When will a link to the video be up?  I really would like to see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what do you guys think? Boss music or final stage music?

Most likely boss music. It wasn't grand enough to be Final-tier music.

Still, it was a very bitching track.