Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Wasn't Sandopolis barren and huge? I hated that level, but this new desert level looks great.

Well let's see. We have like, 3 desert levels in Desert Ruins world. The 3D one, the 2D inside the temple one and the 2D outside the temple one (from the second trailer and screenshots). Plus the candy and honeycomb levels. I think each world will have 6 zones, so that means, MAYBE, every world will have 3 variations of the obvious trope (eg.: snow world = snow level), plus 3 unique -not so related- tropes.

Or maybe each world will have only one or two unique trope D: Dammit Iizuka, don't do false advertising!

Edited by Jango

..It sounded like normal Sonic music to me. Or at least Unleashed. Whats the big deal here?

That's the problem, Azu. I don't know! I mean, it sounds good and well made, per ce, but... It just doesn't give me the charm the past Sonic games (or like I said, fan works and even the new Pac-Man) managed to give without sweat.

The gameplay however looks amazing - The parkour in the 2D desert stage looks really neat, and the forest stage looks pretty! The 3D desert stage looks a bit empty in terms of visuals though, but it could just be me, and the fact that deserts are supposed to be barren...

That's the problem, Azu. I don't know! I mean, it sounds good and well made, per ce, but... It just doesn't give me the charm the past Sonic games (or like I said, fan works and even the new Pac-Man) managed to give without sweat.

The gameplay however looks amazing - The parkour in the 2D desert stage looks really neat, and the forest stage looks pretty! The 3D desert stage looks a bit empty in terms of visuals though, but it could just be me, and the fact that deserts are supposed to be barren...

It sounds like a boss theme to me, which sounds amazing.

Wasn't Sandopolis barren and huge? I hated that level, but this new desert level looks great.

No it wasn't "Barren". It was large, and took a long time to complete.

Desert Ruins in this trailer actually was barren though. Aside from some stuff sticking out of the ground, it didn't really look all that interesting.

The Jungle stage looks a whole lot more.....busy, which is a good thing. It also looks a whole lot better than the other stages, because it appears, at least, to have more detailed textures, rather than flat-ish colours. That and there is a whole lot more going on visually, in the background.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any uploads of the trailer to Youtube yet?

Hot damn those levels look incredible. And dat boss music....

I am having another hype-gasm right now.

Everything about the level design looks phenomenal, and seeing how the Eagle Wisp is used makes it look like it could really work with the Game Pad. I love it. I love everything about this.

Also, say, did it look like they tightened the controls a bit to anyone else?

Woah, just saw the trailer......

OMG why can't this game come out any sooner??? This Silent Forest level looked BEAUTIFUUUUUUUUL! T-T

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll just say this. Finding Red Rings in the Silent Forest stage is gonna be a bitch.

Since I love that sort of challenge, I am more than okay with this.

Not really an important detail but, I hope the Red Rings just go transparent once you find them, like in Colours, instead of vanishing like in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'll just say this. Finding Red Rings in the Silent Forest stage is gonna be a bitch.

I'm glad. Really, Generations felt a little "RED RING OVER HERE, MAN." Sometimes. I'm glad that Lost World has them hidden. I mean, some are disguised as bells. It's much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since I love that sort of challenge, I am more than okay with this.

Not really an important detail but, I hope the Red Rings just go transparent once you find them, like in Colours, instead of vanishing like in Generations.

This would be good for tutorials on Youtube.

You're genuinely insulting Sandopolis by comparing it to 3D Desert Ruins.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh, they're both rather meh as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 5

It definitely seems that you can't walk on those darker yellow bits of ground in the 3D desert area. There is a very clearly defined path Sonic is moving on. 

Eh, they're both rather meh as far as I'm concerned.

Say what you will about Sandopolis but at least there was shit to do in it and interesting gimmicks littered throughout.

What's the most interesting aspect of this stage? Eagle?

Edited by Chooch

And you seem pretty confident that the Desert Ruins won't have any of that at all....

Desert Ruins so far I'm more interested in compared to Sandopolis. Sandopolis was too boring and slow for my taste. At least this one looks faster and more appealing to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

The 3D portion looked like a really wide road one would be prompted to run down whilst staying on the best path that facilitated normal running speed, and things like the ramps and Eagle were basically there to help you in that goal. In all of the footage present, we didn't see a whole lot of anything else to do. Of course it's possible we haven't seen the whole level, but what we have seen is pretty linear (not that that's a bad thing).

But as I said before, things like this get a lot more fun when they have some context thrown behind them. Sonic appears to be running towards the actual temple where the 2D level is held, and before that who knows how he got to the desert in the first place? I'm more interested in seeing if there's going to be some kind of contextual connectivity between the stages like that, rather than hoping every single stage is just pure gimmick overload like Frozen Factory is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your right, 3D Desert Ruins looks far BETTER than Sandopolis. Which was total meh for me overall.

Edited by Narukami07

Sandopolis, boring, slow, bland. Seriously? 

Sandopolis was one the most complex zones conceived back in 1994. With loads of gimmicks, fast speed sections, multiple routes, nice music and really interesting level design. If you don't like it, fine, but don't talk rubbish.

You know what, the Desert Ruins levels - 2d & 3d sections - look pretty fun from what I've seen.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 3

But as I said before, things like this get a lot more fun when they have some context thrown behind them. Sonic appears to be running towards the actual temple where the 2D level is held, and before that who knows how he got to the desert in the first place? I'm more interested in seeing if there's going to be some kind of contextual connectivity between the stages like that, rather than hoping every single stage is just pure gimmick overload like Frozen Factory is.

Context helps but I can't simply ignore what I find to be incredibly bland and uninteresting level design. Once the main story is over the context of everything is usually thrown completely out of the window. You go back to the levels that you enjoyed playing the most for their level design, aesthetics, music, level specific gimmicks, etc.

A level can't hold up or be considered replayable just off of its context in the story, can it?

Edited by Chooch

I tend to find Desert levels kinda lame (except for pyramid cave have my babies jun senoue that music <3333333333) but this looks okay I guess.

Seems kinda boring, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a bit more.