Carbo

Sonic Lost World Announced

I'll just say this. Finding Red Rings in the Silent Forest stage is gonna be a bitch.

Since I love that sort of challenge, I am more than okay with this.

Not really an important detail but, I hope the Red Rings just go transparent once you find them, like in Colours, instead of vanishing like in Generations.

I'll just say this. Finding Red Rings in the Silent Forest stage is gonna be a bitch.

I'm glad. Really, Generations felt a little "RED RING OVER HERE, MAN." Sometimes. I'm glad that Lost World has them hidden. I mean, some are disguised as bells. It's much better.

Since I love that sort of challenge, I am more than okay with this.

Not really an important detail but, I hope the Red Rings just go transparent once you find them, like in Colours, instead of vanishing like in Generations.

This would be good for tutorials on Youtube.

It definitely seems that you can't walk on those darker yellow bits of ground in the 3D desert area. There is a very clearly defined path Sonic is moving on. 

Eh, they're both rather meh as far as I'm concerned.

Say what you will about Sandopolis but at least there was shit to do in it and interesting gimmicks littered throughout.

What's the most interesting aspect of this stage? Eagle?

Edited by Chooch

The 3D portion looked like a really wide road one would be prompted to run down whilst staying on the best path that facilitated normal running speed, and things like the ramps and Eagle were basically there to help you in that goal. In all of the footage present, we didn't see a whole lot of anything else to do. Of course it's possible we haven't seen the whole level, but what we have seen is pretty linear (not that that's a bad thing).

But as I said before, things like this get a lot more fun when they have some context thrown behind them. Sonic appears to be running towards the actual temple where the 2D level is held, and before that who knows how he got to the desert in the first place? I'm more interested in seeing if there's going to be some kind of contextual connectivity between the stages like that, rather than hoping every single stage is just pure gimmick overload like Frozen Factory is.

You're genuinely insulting Sandopolis by comparing it to 3D Desert Ruins.

Your right, 3D Desert Ruins looks far BETTER than Sandopolis. Which was total meh for me overall.

Edited by Narukami07

Sandopolis, boring, slow, bland. Seriously? 

Sandopolis was one the most complex zones conceived back in 1994. With loads of gimmicks, fast speed sections, multiple routes, nice music and really interesting level design. If you don't like it, fine, but don't talk rubbish.

You know what, the Desert Ruins levels - 2d & 3d sections - look pretty fun from what I've seen.

Edited by -Bender-

But as I said before, things like this get a lot more fun when they have some context thrown behind them. Sonic appears to be running towards the actual temple where the 2D level is held, and before that who knows how he got to the desert in the first place? I'm more interested in seeing if there's going to be some kind of contextual connectivity between the stages like that, rather than hoping every single stage is just pure gimmick overload like Frozen Factory is.

Context helps but I can't simply ignore what I find to be incredibly bland and uninteresting level design. Once the main story is over the context of everything is usually thrown completely out of the window. You go back to the levels that you enjoyed playing the most for their level design, aesthetics, music, level specific gimmicks, etc.

A level can't hold up or be considered replayable just off of its context in the story, can it?

Edited by Chooch

I tend to find Desert levels kinda lame (except for pyramid cave have my babies jun senoue that music <3333333333) but this looks okay I guess.

Seems kinda boring, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a bit more.

Context helps but I can't simply ignore what I find to be incredibly bland and uninteresting level design. Once the main story is over the context of everything is usually thrown completely out of the window. A level can't hold up or be considered replayable just off of its context in the story, can it?

Of course not, but then again we haven't seen the entire level, nor would it be impossible for this to be utterly unplayable after the first time depending upon how satisfying it is going through the motions yourself versus watching it on screen. Video games are not a spectator sport, and sometimes simple-looking shit is just fun yo. And besides, if this specific level isn't for you, you've got things like Frozen Factory and Silent Jungle to tide you over in terms of things to do.

Sandopolis, boring, slow, bland. Seriously? 

Sandopolis was one the most complex zones conceived back in 1994. With loads of gimmicks, fast speed sections, multiple routes, nice music and really interesting level design. If you don't like it, fine, but don't talk rubbish.

I did infact find it slow compared to a lot of the other zones, the first act was really bland and boring imo, and the music was nothing special again imo. The gimmicks in the second act were nice, but didn't save it for me. If you like it, fine, but don't act as if our complaints are unreasonable or wrong.

Edited by Xemnas

I did infact find it slow compared to a lot of the other zones, the first act was Really bland and boring imo, and the music was nothing special again imo. The gimmicks in the second act were nice, but didn't save it for me. If you like it fine, but don't act as if our complaints are unreasonable or wrong.

Pretty much my exact sentiment right here.

Of course not, but then again we haven't seen the entire level, nor would it be impossible for this to be utterly unplayable after the first time depending upon how satisfying it is going through the motions yourself versus watching it on screen. Video games are not a spectator sport, and sometimes simple-looking shit is just fun yo. And besides, if this specific level isn't for you, you've got things like Frozen Factory and Silent Jungle to tide you over in terms of things to do.

I obviously understand that video games are generally not considered a spectator sport (Who doesn't?). Granted, speed runs and fighting game exhibitions can be quite entertaining even if you're not personally involved in them. Eh.. not my point anyway.

Everything that I have said so far about this game until release should be taken under the pretense that I am judging things based off of what I have seen. There's nothing actually wrong with that. Especially since the vast majority of people here commenting and responding to my posts are doing the exact same fucking thing. It's a little frustrating that the knee jerk response to early criticism is always "Wait until you see more" and "Wait until you've actually played the game" because while they are incredibly valid points they kind of undermine the entire discussion from the get go.

Frozen Factory looks like butt to me to be honest. Silent Forest is the only 3D stage so far that has impressed me. I had a large amount of aversion to the 2D only stages coming into Lost World, but now that I have a more concrete idea of what to expect from the 3D stages I think the 2D is likely be my favorite part of the entire game.

Edited by Chooch

I'm not getting on your case about preemptively judge the game, especially when I bothered suggesting levels- that we both have seen in the same detail- that would be more to your liking based on what you've posted. Overall, you asked me whether or not a level can have replay value beyond its story-driven context, and my answer is: Yes, although in Desert Ruins' case, we can't be too sure of that yet because frankly we don't know whether or not what we've seen is indicative of the whole level. But in case the entire level is like that, there are probably going to be other levels to your fancy, such as Silent Forest, which you admit is a stage that impressed you. I'm not saying you need to wait to have an opinion on this stage or even the game in general.