Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I'm good with the Wisps being permanent. Not... entirely sure how they cancel out all chance of Tails, Knuckles and Amy (and all those guys I don't give a monkey's about) ever being playable ever again, but I guess them putting their time and resources into the Wisps' playstyles instead of Sonic's excrement-y friends' for now could be a pain for some people, and I'm sorry to hear that.

...it's okay for me though, I liked the Wisps, and it's cool seeing them becoming the Item Monitors of this era of Sonic.

They're just mindlessly pandering to the loudest and most obnoxious demographic that don't take into consideration that this kind of thing might be more damaging in the long run, all the while claiming they're "listening".

So what you're saying is, they shouldn't be listening to the majority? And listening to the majority isn't "listening"?

Edited by Bumblebee

Don't see them bringing Classic Sonic back, and that was met warmly by the majority.:/

I'd point out that the Wisps were the same thing, but then today happened :P.

Brining back a gimmick that was met warmly with the majority? Yeah it's totally their fault they knew what worked for the franchise and what didn't :U

Daytime gameplay was met warmly by the majority. That means it is a perfectly flawless piece of video game programming that must be recycled for every single installment from now on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't see them bringing Classic Sonic back, and that was met warmly by the majority.:/

Sanic 4????

• Thumbs Up 1

This isn't great news, this is a super SPLIT decision by the looks of it, way to go on dividing the fans yet again SEGA.

Exactly how is this dividing fans, whatever that means?

I'm good with the Wisps being permanent. Not... entirely sure how they cancel out all chance of Tails, Knuckles and Amy (and all those guys I don't give a fuck about) ever being playable ever again, but I guess them putting their time and resources into the Wisps' playstyles instead of Sonic's excrement-y friends' for now could be a pain for some people, and I'm sorry to hear that.

...it's okay for me though, I liked the Wisps, and it's cool seeing them becoming the Item Monitors of this era of Sonic.

So what you're saying is, they shouldn't be listening to the majority? And listening to the majority isn't "listening"?

What I am saying is that I frankly think SEGA and Sonic Team just aren't THINKING their decisions over anymore. They're just mindlessly listening to whatever cries are the loudest and assuming that the loudest is the only thing that exists in their little bubble.

This isn't great news, this is a super SPLIT decision by the looks of it, way to go on dividing the fans yet again SEGA.

That would be implying that the fanbase wasn't already split enough as it is, even when Colors/Generations came out. O.o

• Thumbs Up 1

More like never. First the narrative goes bye bye, then characters...SEGA and Sonic Team aren't doing any thinking anymore, they're just mindlessly pandering to the loudest and most obnoxious demographic that don't take into consideration that this kind of thing might be more damaging in the long run, all the while claiming they're "listening".

But this part of the fanbase IS the loudest part of the fanbase :V  Let's face it, as a forum we don't fucking shut up about Sonic and what's happening with said character and his games.

temporary boost mode?

That would just make the boost as prominent as it was in Colors, but with no enemies containing white Wisps and the White Wisps would have to be rare, since the boost isn't a main gameplay mechanic in SLW and most likely won't be in the game.

Edited by @ut0

But this part of the fanbase IS the loudest part of the fanbase :V  Let's face it, as a forum we don't fucking shut up about Sonic and what's happening with said character and his games.

Just because we are loud here doesn't mean we aren't being drowned out everywhere else.

Because not everyone LIKES the Wisps, I certainly don't mind them as an idea and a one off, I fucking hated using them though and will not be pleased to see them become a series staple.

What I am saying is that I frankly think SEGA and Sonic Team just aren't THINKING their decisions over anymore. They're just mindlessly listening to whatever cries are the loudest and assuming that the loudest is the only thing that exists in their little bubble.

Or maybe that they genuinely believe that the Wisps could bring improvement to the series in a non haphazard manner and you just personally don't like them? Id take over some made up shit about them not thinking.

Daytime gameplay was met warmly by the majority. That means it is a perfectly flawless piece of video game programming that must be recycled for every single installment from now on.

Are you trying to sell me the idea that Sonic Team would just LITERALLY copy-paste Wisps over and over again without changing/improving anything? Especially when we've seen the contrary with this very game.

this very game!?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

How so? Is sticking to something that isn't broken/nor needed to be fixed a crime now?

Iizuka never said that they would replace the characters, he even said at SOS they they are a possibility in the future, so people treating the Wisps as the equivalent of new characters makes no sense to me.

A possibility? A possibility? Maybe if this was two thousand and fucking eight, hombre. Nowadays it's nothing but a pipe dream.

Sonic Team has operated under false equivalences for the past fucking decade. They've completely abandoned the idea of taking any sort of risks or pushing the envelope because of nonsense spouted from both the fanbase and the gaming journalists. They've been convinced that things like multiple playable characters are something that the vast majority does not want. We want Sonic only games with shallow narrative and fucking power ups.

I guess I can't blame them if appealing to those who are perfectly content with this horseshit gets them the money. A business is a business after all.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I'm not against permanent Wisps, saying that the fanbase was already split before the announcement does not justify splitting it further.

Not saying I'm the biggest fan of the decision, but the wisps could eventually become less context-sensitive, creative, and all that stuff. We can't see the future. 

I hope so. I love the Wisps as characters and thought they had great potential gameplay wise, but I don't want them to eventually overstay their welcome either.

Are you trying to sell me the idea that Sonic Team would just LITERALLY copy-paste Wisps over and over again without changing/improving anything? Especially when we've seen the contrary with this very game.th this very game!?

Aside from the fact that that's generally Sonic Team's thing with recurring gameplay styles and gimmicks- near copy-and-pasting- the only thing I expect them to do is throw more Wisps on top of the same existing formula concerning how they work, which is- surprise surprise- exactly what they're doing. I'm not seeing any real improvement in the gameplay department anywhere, especially when we've seen and heard that the old Wisps pretty much work almost the exact same way they did in Colors.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

How so? Is sticking to something that isn't broken/nor needed to be fixed a crime now?

The problem isn't with the wisps; I honestly don't even care about their existence anymore. The problem are the implications of this most recent decision. For all we know, in the minds of our SEGA/Sonic Team Overlords, the power-ups will somehow suffice as having other characters due to their shallow similarities to the other characters' abilities, therefore giving SEGA and Sonic Team absolutely ZERO incentive to ever consider the others important or to become playable except maybe for the occasional cameo to pander to the most easily satisfied fans.

Before someone tells me otherwise, look at their damn track record and tell me they don't have a tendency to overreact to everything and assume the worst of everything and handle everything in the most hap-hazardous and half-assed manner possible?

Edited by 743 ED Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

For all we know, in the minds of our SEGA/Sonic Team Overlords, the power-ups will somehow suffice as having other characters due to their shallow similarities to the other characters' abilities, therefore giving SEGA and Sonic Team absolutely ZERO incentive to ever consider the others important or to become playable except maybe for the occasional cameo to pander to the most easily satisfied fans.

That's jumping to one hell of a conclusion. It's like saying because they took the Boost from Sonic Rush and put it in Sonic Unleashed, they considered it a new Spindash and we'd never see that again. (A lot of people thought this was the case, actually tongue.png) It's just as if not even more unlikely they would think Wisps are other playable characters for some reason than they would just put them in because they just thought it was a good idea.

Edited by Bumblebee
  • Thumbs Up 2

May I just ask where this assumption of "cuz Wisps are now permanent multiple characters won't be a thing" came from?  It's been said multiple times that they want to perfect the Sonic gameplay before moving onto other characters and that they still want to look into them in the future.  Heck Iizuka even said that when he was talking to the host at SoS today.  I don't see how the Wisps have anything to do with this.  

• Thumbs Up 8

Wisp replacing the characters....welp, I will probably not be buying a Sonic game for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not seeing any real improvement in the gameplay department anywhere, especially when we've seen and heard that the old Wisps pretty much work almost the exact same way they did in Colors.

Yellow Drill can now go above ground without transforming back into Sonic, presumably able to attack enemies above ground. Is that not an improvement?

Edited by @ut0
  • Thumbs Up 2

No one said this.

This was never said.

Please stop thinking this was ever said or implied. 

Well these past few pages were making it implied like this was an official statement. So I can understand the confusion :u