Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

May I just ask where this assumption of "cuz Wisps are now permanent multiple characters won't be a thing" came from? It's been said multiple times that they want to perfect the Sonic gameplay before moving onto other characters and that they still want to look into them in the future. Heck Iizuka even said that when he was talking to the host at SoS today. I don't see how the Wisps have anything to do with this.

It's been five fucking years, how much longer do they honestly need? What the fuck is even "perfecting" Sonic's gameplay at this point?

No one said this.

This was never said.

Please stop thinking this was ever said or implied.

It was implied tho :I

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't see them bringing Classic Sonic back, and that was met warmly by the majority.:/

Yes it was actually.y with this very game!?

I fail to  see how Classic was brought back in this game. You said yourself, this plays nothing like Classic in Generations. So unless you are assuming 2D levels automatically = Classic gameplay, I don't follow.

May I just ask where this assumption of "cuz Wisps are now permanent multiple characters won't be a thing" came from?  It's been said multiple times that they want to perfect the Sonic gameplay before moving onto other characters and that they still want to look into them in the future.  Heck Iizuka even said that when he was talking to the host at SoS today.  I don't see how the Wisps have anything to do with this.  

I base my assumptions on their track record, which was nearly always the most extreme reaction, haphazardous, and oftentimes damaging in the long term. And frankly, I don't expect anything positive for the people who want something more than what we are getting now until most of the fanbase, current Sonic Team, and SEGA are 6 feet under, and that's assuming the franchise even LASTS that long.

Edited by 743 ED Missile

May I just ask where this assumption of "cuz Wisps are now permanent multiple characters won't be a thing" came from?  It's been said multiple times that they want to perfect the Sonic gameplay before moving onto other characters and that they still want to look into them in the future.  Heck Iizuka even said that when he was talking to the host at SoS today.  I don't see how the Wisps have anything to do with this.  

While the replacement of characters is certainly a premature assumption to make (despite the fact that this is what this decision personally feels like because why waste the effort at the risk of the public bitching, right?), it's kind of hard to perfect Sonic gameplay when 1.) They never really make large leaps in improvement and innovation with it in the first place, 2.) They keep throwing it out every several years, and 3.) "Perfecting" something is a really tenuous, ambiguous, arbitrary, and subsequently impossible goal to the point of being a pipe-dream. It is not realistic at all. I'm almost tempted to say it's just a mere excuse to keep staving off the calls for other characters until that demand too eventually comes to a head and they have no choice but to comply.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys shouldn't take a comment like Iizuka's so seriously.

I take it with a grain of salt because there's no such thing as permanent in the Sonic Universe, except for rings and Emeralds. If it breathes, it's subject to anything.

I actually thought Chao were gonna be permanent, where my homies at? So just relax and wait for Iizuka to come around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um... would you two hate me if I said I actually wouldn't mind that if that's the case?

Because, really, I wouldn't mind it.

Haha, no, I woudn't hate you. ^^

But let me ask you this:

Sonic3andKnuckles.png

Would you prefer if S3&K was Sonic only?

Or do you think it's fine as it is?

With "more playable characters" I'm not saying that I want mech shooting, emerald hunting or fishing to come back.

I just want a couple of extra characters to extend replay value.

If it's really going to be Sonic only then fine, I'm not going to whine over it, but I'm really going to miss flying around the levels as Tails, or climbing up walls to find alternate routes as Knuckles.

It was implied tho :I

It was never implied. All Iuzuka said was that the Wisps was going to be a recurring element in the Sonic series, all this talk about them replacing the characters is just baseless assumptions at this current point.

Edited by Soniman

I fucking called it. Wisps are the new item boxes. I don't really mind if the Wisps remain in the series, they're cool power ups. Just don't make them forced.

May I just ask where this assumption of "cuz Wisps are now permanent multiple characters won't be a thing" came from?  It's been said multiple times that they want to perfect the Sonic gameplay before moving onto other characters and that they still want to look into them in the future.

They've been "perfecting Sonic's gameplay" since 2007.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yellow Drill can now go above ground without transforming back into Sonic, presumably able to attack enemies above ground. Is that not an improvement?

A single improvement? 

Well-p, guess I can stop being disappointed at this news now. They expanded the space in which one Wisp can work, even if the entrance to that space is temporary. All is well.

I really don't care to argue this now, especially on my phone, all it's going to lead to is more ad hominem arguments where people attack each other over opinions.

Just gonna spectate for a few hours.

A single improvement? 

Slow down, we still haven't seen much gameplay of the other returning Wisps.

They've been "perfecting Sonic's gameplay" since 2007.

And it took ti'll Colors for many to feel satisfied with a mainline Sonic title's gameplay.

And it took ti'll Colors for many to feel satisfied with a mainline Sonic title's gameplay.

And then they dumped it to start the process all over again.

A single improvement? 

I wouldnt say so... If you think about it, now you'll have to time the exact moment the Drill will run out to go out of the ground instead of simply going out of the ground to disable the power

And then they dumped it to start the process all over again.

Obviously not considering the subject of debate right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldnt say so... If you think about it, now you'll have to time the exact moment the Drill will run out to go out of the ground instead of simply going out of the ground to disable the power

no, you can cancel the powers manually actually.

Slow down, we still haven't seen much gameplay of the other returning Wisps.

That wasn't the point of my facetiousness. The point was that a single noted improvement doesn't inherently mean anything to me right now, especially considering the ideas I espouse on the way Wisps should be done, and it won't until we see the entire game anyway. Overall though, the burden of proof that Sonic Team will definitely improve the Wisps leaps and bounds beyond their Colors incarnations rests with the people making that assumption, especially when you once again consider the precedent that they don't really go out of their way to innovate a style versus merely tweaking it or throwing it out.

These aren't big, sweeping changes to Sonic we're even discussing. These are power-ups that, in prior experience, have had no largely significant effect on the gameplay.

..I genuinely question how much you've played Colors.

• Thumbs Up 5

What the hell happened in this thread? And how did you lot not hear about this earlier?

Anyway personally I like that the Wisps will return but did Iizuka ever straight out say they'd show up in every game? If yes that would indeed suck, I like the wisps but that doesn't mean I want to see them in every game much like some of the cast. If not I expect them to be treated the same as the Sonic cast, sometimes they'll be present other times they won't.