Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

SEGA will probably upload it in HD themselves after Boom is out the way I'm sure.

In that case you're playing the wrong franchise dude.

LOL. To be honest though I think that the story in Lost World will not be that bad.

LOL. To be honest though I think that the story in Lost World will not be that bad.

Actually what i meant is the most important thing in the Sonic series is the gameplay, so wanting a good story as 1st priority is wrong.

Actually what i meant is the most important thing in the Sonic series is the gameplay, so wanting a good story as 1st priority is wrong.

I think with any game, wanting a good story over gameplay is wrong. Might as well just read a book or watch a movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think with any game, wanting a good story over gameplay is wrong. Might as well just read a book or watch a movie.

Well what about Phoenix Wright? I'm pretty sure you'll agree those games need a great story to be engaging.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's completely illogical to assume that prioritization of different elements of a medium somehow means you only seek the most prioritized thing and don't want anything else out of it, thus one who prioritizes story over gameplay should go away and read a book or watch a movie because "they only want story." 

Quote me saying that please, I will wait here. It's just as completely illogical to assume that I assumed so when I never said that. Videogaming is first and foremost INTERACTIVE entertainment. A story can immerse you but if the gameplay doesn't offer the core experience, you either become a mere spectator or the gameplay will break that immersion that a great story could give you.

Ladies and gentlemen, contender for Game of the Year 2013 - The Last of Us

tlou-ai-o.gif

Well what about Phoenix Wright? I'm pretty sure you'll agree those games need a great story to be engaging.

I do. I love Phoenix Wright (and the gameplay, although apparently simple, suits the story as it should) as well as other story-driven games like Walking Dead or Heavy Rain, but if the gameplay is not even, well, playable, why should I bother to, well, play? I would rather just YouTube cutscenes of those games instead.

Oh yes, that's right! I did that, for Sonic Free Riders (which the story wasn't all that either but still proves my point, because what if it had been?).

Edit: Another contender for GOTY 2013 that, while it contains one of the greatest stories I have ever seen in gaming, ended up giving gameplay a backseat is Bioshock: Infinite. I love that game and I would play it all over again, but using the same fucking, cheap life ghost boss on 3 separate occasions with no variation whatsoever, and a lack of encouragement for varied weapon and vigor gameplay really hold me back from calling it a masterpiece.

Edited by tenchibr

Quote me saying that please, I will wait here. It's just as completely illogical to assume that I assumed so when I never said that. Videogaming is first and foremost INTERACTIVE entertainment. A story can immerse you but if the gameplay doesn't offer the core experience, you either become a mere spectator or the gameplay will break that immersion that a great story could give you.

Things do not have to be stated forwardly to be true. That is the inherent implication of you saying that those who prioritize story over gameplay should go read a book, because otherwise that wouldn't have made any sense.

No seriously. For the statement "If you want story over gameplay, you are wrong and should go read a book" to make sense, a context has to be established as true that must say that prioritization of different elements in a medium means that a person seeks the most prioritized thing at the expense of everything else about that medium. Hence, people who want gameplay above story play games because that is "the most important thing," and those who want story to be "the most important thing" should instead read a book. 

Clearly this is bollocks. People who want better story in games- or even those who are most concerned about the story in a particular game- do not only want story as part of the experience and thus would not be more satisfied by indulging in a book. They want to indulge in the gameplay too by mere fact of expressing interest in the game in the first place. They just want different things out of it as a whole, which is okay, and does not warrant the shitty sentiment of anyone telling them that they should stop looking forward to a game and do something else instead.

So not only is it illogical to tell someone who prioritizes story over gameplay that they should not indulge in the game, it's a crap thing to do in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

The way I see it, everyone has different standards when it comes to any fictional work, and that's okay. You can't expect everyone to be invested in the same thing you are when it comes to any given series, but just because someone else is more interested in one aspect doesn't mean you have to do the same. Seriously, has anyone who is more interested in/concerned about the story said that the people more interested in gameplay have to do the same ...?

ANYHOW. Looking back on the footage, I hope the Desert Ruins 2D chase level has a really awesome ending. The chaser robot in Unleashed always annoyed me because at no point do you get to destroy it and take revenge on it being a jerk (except in the Wii/PS2 version or, I think in one of the DLC packs [360/PS3]). Something like that would be nice, even if it's as simple as slamming a door in it's face or something.

Hey, if we're throwing around fallacious arguments here, then if you want a pure gameplay experience with no emphasis on story, you might as well go play Tetris or Pong.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think while story is indeed an important aspect of a game, it isn't too much crazy for a game to have a short story or no story at all as long as they make the game so good that you won't need a story, take Rayman Origins for example, up to this day I have my own problems figuring the plot out because it resumes to 3-4 cutscenes at the last levels, but that doesn't stop the fun of the game, why? Because I don't need a comedic cutscene when co-op and even most of the enemies and bosses already set a lot of humour, I mean, there's no way some bosses won't make you laugh, either because they are so creative and amazingly cartoony or the whole setting of the fight will cause something funny to happen, you will be killed by in a incredibly silly way, your co-op partner will kick you into the boss' face, you'll run away from the boss just so you can find out he will jump the same way and now you are going right into his face to die.

The Co-op itself is a lot funny too, because  most of the time you will be beating the everloving hell out of your friend, why? Because its funny and for some reason, very entertaining, but even while funny, it can be pretty awesome without a single line of dialogue or cutscene, take Sonic Generations for example, he never flat out says ''Hey, I defeated Perfect Chaos again, without going super, IM AWESOME'', no, the whole boss fight implies that, and makes you feel how powerful you are now, you don't need a cutscene to show that, same could be said with Shadow's fight, you dont need a cutscene or a line of Sonic saying ''Man, Shadow is though, he's as fast as I am, we have the same speed and powers!'', no, the game makes you notice that yourself, by making Shadow able to boost as fast as you, giving the feel he's really as good as you are.

So yeah, a game doesn't need a story if it's gameplay is good enough to give some funny or awesome, maybe even dramatic, twists, its like how they say, an action is worth a thousand words.

I am already excited simply from hearing the musical score. When trailer was being shown and I couldn't see it, just the music alone and sound effects were making me positively giddy.

I'm wondering if the same trailer will be shown at Boom or not.

Then about 20 minutes later, Sonic Show just randomly put it on after Sonic Shorts with no warning.

Must've missed it. On my end Sonic Show showed about two seconds of it, and in a fashion that seemed like it was a booboo, it immediately ended. Guess that's what I get for taking a quick lunch break!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

After playing LW at SoS though, I CAN see the game being very polarizing especially in the speed department and regarding the very different controls. I personally think that the game has truly tremendous potential and brings something of 'structure' and a real sense of identity to the series (The visuals just work so well). Parkouring up the brown wooden windmill-like thing on a completely different plane to the 'sedentary' level route and then using the ability to deftly step opened up a whole new world for inventive level design. My only real concern other whether that level of creativity is kept-up throughout the rest of the game and is utilized even more creatively and originally. Well that and the story/characterization/Sonic-Eggman partner-up being utilized to it's full potential.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sharing the same insane "OMG" reaction. That was yet another trailer with one notable thing: the jungle level. It looks like fun, I'll give you that. Everything else looks boring and slow. The music is OK, I guess, but it definitely doesn't make me want to "gotta go fast" like the tracks from previous games did. ...it's not like I actually could go fast if I wanted in this game. anyways..

Meh.

Edited by ArtFenix

So yeah, a game doesn't need a story if it's gameplay is good enough to give some funny or awesome, maybe even dramatic, twists, its like how they say, an action is worth a thousand words.

Except, not everyone believes that. They'd rather have a game where both the gameplay and the story work together to deliver a grand experience, not either or.

A good story can only enhance a game with good gameplay, so while it's understandable that gameplay takes the highest priority that doesn't mean a game should forsake a good story altogether when it would be to the game's benefit. Makes it all that more worth the money that person is shelling out for it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trailer thoughts:

: Barren desert with giant worms and motobugs on a giant cylinder, wonder what's in that temple ahead.

: 2D desert temple chase running up walls prince of persia style avoiding the giant worm.

: Very Busy forest stage with old enemies and a new attack from dragonfly plus clucker shooting you in a minecart

: crocodile chomping chaos on the rails.

: Overall a good trailer...

My only real concern other whether that level of creativity is kept-up throughout the rest of the game and is utilized even more creatively and originally.

I too am hoping for this.

Shadow the Hedgehog had a pretty epic start in Westopolis I think, but it quickly lost appeal for me going further into the game. So I'm eagerly hoping this isn't a case of a layer of fudge on top of something less savory.

Fortunately, given the success of Colors and Generations though, I have high faith that even if they don't make use of the full potential (very likely given their record), it'll still be a grand experience.

I am on a train.. this will be short.. will post more later.

Sonic lost world controll is totally alien to anyone who has played a sonic game before. e.g. How do you do the homing attack was a common question I and others had.

Homing attack = Metal Gear rising perfect paray kind of contol/actions.

game lookslovely, art style criticisms have no justification when game is moving.

controls have problems on the sonc06 style warp levels... camera issues. will explain later.

wisppower usage= a tsd tedius... thank you gamepad.

Very hard game to get into, cannot justpick up and play.

will divide opinions on release.

Sounds like the opinion on difficulty was correct then.

Bueno! I disliked how easy Generations and Colors were versus Unleashed Day. Upping the difficulty is something I won't mind as a means to extend gameplay time.

Does the game use lives or did they ditch those? I know SEGA sometimes flipflops on whether they want lives or not (use of lives being another subtle way to extend gameplay time).

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

will divide opinions on release.

I too believe that this will be so as well. I fully expect this game to be very polarizing. From the revamped controls to the speed to the visual style, which has won me over at least. The game is so very unlike previous ones in so many areas that it WILL be a shock to those who play it. It certainly was for me.

Sounds like the opinion on difficulty was correct then.Bueno! I disliked how easy Generations and Colors were versus Unleashed Day. Upping the difficulty is something I won't mind as a means to extend gameplay time.Does the game use lives or did they ditch those? I know SEGA sometimes flipflops on whether they want lives or not (use of lives being another subtle way to extend gameplay time).

There are lives, no I wasn't at the event, but you can see it in the hud and in previous footage from mtv someone got an extra life as well.

footage: 

2:35 for how to get extra lives, also notice 100 rings no longer reward a 1up. This game might actually be tough (on the wii u).

Edited by Sunic Man

Rings are no longer an instant 1 up, huh?

I... actually think this might be a good idea. We will probably be closer to Unleashed levels of difficulty where lives don't come out like candy and you can certainly die easily if you're not careful. The key difference being whereas Unleashed had an issue of going too fast and thus making it near impossible to see obstacles unless you went at a snail's pace, the ability to freely switch between the varying speeds here will theoretically make the "too fast" problem moot; people will be able to play at their skill level.