Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

It already is, I'm afraid.

Then why do the impressions from SoS tells us otherwise? It does not seem polarizing towards the people who have actually had hands-on with the game thus far. Not that things are perfect of course.

Tbh i don't think Sega's out of line to claim that LW could be the best (or one of), since it shows how dedicated they are into making the game enjoyable. And so far i LIKE what i'm seeing with it, but like the user above just said, we'll be the judge of that. :3

Edited by Narukami07

I saw Gamexplain latest analysis video on sonic lost world, at one part he mentions that the reason that Zeena, Zik, and Zor were dark and were at the back. He said something about them being related to the chaos emeralds each of them had the same color as each emerald except for grey. He was guessing that those three were dark because they need a chaos emerald to restore their power.

But I think its obvious the game dont want you to find out who those guys are that are at the back.

My theory stills goes to them being related to the wisp.

Edit: I just realized something in the cut scene

Not sure if someone pointed this out already but it seems their are more badniks behind the deadly six.

Look at my signature and you'll see bullets flying across the screen. but they are pretty far back since we can't see them.

Edited by jordine

Well, looking at it from a storytelling point of view...

Assuming that Desert Ruins is the second world you go to in game, that would mean that you've already fought Zazz (Pink guy), and Zomom (Who appears in the Color Power trailer in the desert area). In other words, they're upfront because you've already fought and beaten them (more or less). Zavok is the ringleader, so of course he's front and center.

But you haven't faced the other three, so the cutscene keeps them (literally) in the dark until you're properly introduced to them later in the game. Pretty simple, I think. Of course, shadows don't quite work like that, and we already know what they look like, but there you go. 

Edited by edvedd

I kinda hope they don't take long to introduce all of them. It seems wind hill gets two introductory Zavok and Zazz and other worlds gets one which I hope that doesn't happen. 

Edit: Some people have mention that Japanese dialog is different to English dialog and although the translation may be right but in sonic's line his dialog seems too long.

When watching this video at the part that sonic talks, I find myself reading too slow before tails start talking.

and also......Poor tails. And Eggman

Edited by jordine

With regards to this shot, I'm convinced you'll be able to parkour up the sides (I'm pretty sure I've said this before)

7NjBB6Y.jpg

There are deliberate gaps in the brown railings here.  The question is though, where could running up these walls lead.  There are 2 or 3 points in the level where it's like this as well.  Aaron Webber in the cam footage of Frozen Factory said there was one of these that would could take you to another pinball section if you climb up a set of poker chips: http://youtu.be/RyXcVKeV9IA?t=2m33s

With regards to this shot, I'm convinced you'll be able to parkour up the sides (I'm pretty sure I've said this before)

7NjBB6Y.jpg

There are deliberate gaps in the brown railings here.  The question is though, where could running up these walls lead.  There are 2 or 3 points in the level where it's like this as well.  Aaron Webber in the cam footage of Frozen Factory said there was one of these that would could take you to another pinball section if you climb up a set of poker chips: http://youtu.be/RyXcVKeV9IA?t=2m33s

Maybe going to different pinball sections will take you to a different route?

It looks like they give you three ways to proceed the straightfoward route is the normal route while the other two are to play around in or discover new parts of the level

Then why do the impressions from SoS tells us otherwise?

Source?

I think it's opinion filter anyway. It happens when a person asks himself "should I visit SoS?" or when they interview actual visitors. Have you ever noticed that there's never anything but fascinated comments at Sega Blog? This is premoderation. Same thing with SoS or any other festival, it should look like a place of neverending fun. So, obviously having like 100 people interviewed they'll cut not only hating opinions if there's any, but also anything different from "it's awesome I love it'. And it's not only "happiness" thing, but also video timelimit or website article limit. They can't drop everything they collected onto our heads.

Edited by crystallize

SoS isn't officially run by Sega though, so noone would be under any sort of agreement to only say good things about it. It was a public demo afterall.

I don't hold biases. I haven't been down with the direction of the series since Colours despite being very entertained and charmed by the games since then and I can say after playing LW at SoS that whilst I find the new controls and game design very intriguing and absolutely chock-filled with potential as well as being incredibly fun, I am left in no doubt at all that the game will be divisive upon release. My view is that the game's visuals won me over after I saw them for myself up close but I still understand the views that they're not everyone's cup of tea despite that.

TSS Summer Of Sonic interview with Iizuka.

Lost World related questions here:

TSS: Was Sonic Lost World built around the Wisps or were they incorporated into the game later on in development?

Takashi Iizuka: Sonic Colours is the game where we first introduced the Wisps into Sonic games and it was a feature that was originally intended to be exclusively to this game. The Wisps and Colour Powers actually gave a great variety to the gameplay style and the user experience. We feel that it’s a great addition to the series and we really like the Wisps! We intend to actually carry on integrating the Colour Powers into Sonic games in the future and to standardise as something that is accepted as one of the things that’s in a Sonic game. As long as it matches the gameplay style, you will see Colour Powers. For Lost World, we intended to implement them from the outset, they weren’t bolted onto the game afterwards.

TSS: Did you bring over any other elements from Sonic Colours or Sonic Generations?

Takashi Iizuka: Over the past two versions of Sonic, we’ve really established the combination of forward-view and side-view platform-action gameplay. That’s really become a staple of Sonic but we wanted to something completely new with Lost World and provide a new experience to the user by giving them a different twist on the level design. We did take the Colour Powers from Colours but what else did we take from Sonic Colours specifically? I can’t really think of any specifics other than the things that are a staple diet of the Sonic series like the Spin Dash and Homing Attack so you will see standard Sonic stuff in there but this time it was more focused on pushing Sonic forward. If I were to talk about what we’ve taken from Classic Sonic? When you defeat a Badnik you’ll see an animal pop out as you did in the Classic games.

TSS: Do you feel that the ‘parkour’ style of gameplay that is being introduced in Lost World is something that will be permanently added to Sonic’s skillset?

Takashi Iizuka: The parkour has been specifically designed for Lost World since it really suits our game as it stands now with its cylindrical stages and so forth. Moving forwards, we’re not really intended on keeping parkour but that’s not set in stone. We’re just not planning on it being in the future games right now. As it was with Colour Powers, this feature was meant to be a one-off for Sonic Colours because it suited that game. As it was so popular and we see great benefits in using them, we carried on using them and we’re now thinking of using them as a staple. For now, no is the answer but that’s only for now. We could re-visit it depending on the feedback we get from it.

TSS: SEGA have put a lot of faith in the Nintendo platform for the next few Sonic games. What was it like developing with the Wii U tablet?

Takashi Iizuka: The biggest unique feature of the Wii U in terms of hardware is its dual-screen capability and the Gamepad. For Lost World, we have 3 main elements of how we’ve made full use of this technology with the first one being the ability to play the game on the Gamepad without the need to have it displayed on the TV. The second one is the option for competitive gameplay without splitting the screen unlike previously where each player would lose half of their screen in order to accommodate the other player but this time you can half one player using the Gamepad screen and the other using the television. The third major use is with the Colour Powers which can be activated by using the touch screen and making use of the gyro. The development team have had great fun working on the Wii U hardware and making full use of its unique features.

TSS: What were some of the team’s biggest challenges when designing levels for Lost World?

Takashi Iizuka: As you may have noticed, we have some cylindrical stages where you can around in 360 degrees. We have no previous experiences in creating levels like this in terms of design. Windy Hill is going to be the first stage in the game and we have created that level, broken it down, recreated it, broken it down again, rinsed and repeated so many times over the past half a year to really perfect that level and its design so that has been a huge challenge.

I really hope the parkour becomes a thing that gets expanded upon in later games (as in the games directly after this, not with a 1 game gap in between) and not just be a thing for this game, because I think it has massive potential, and I'd be livid if Iizuka just threw it out after this game. I think the parkour mechanics have the potential to help 3d Sonic finally fill it's potential so like I said, I'd be livid if they just used it for this game. Guess we have to get vocal and show our support for the parkour huh.............

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just really hope he doesn't assume that when we want parkour, we also want cyllindrical stages forevermore too. :v

Shit, that's most likley what he'll assume.............why do we have to have such a thick man at the head of Sonic?

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Language barrier?

I'm not trying to make an excuse for his poor choices in the past, but it's something that needs to be considered. 

Language barrier?

I'm not trying to make an excuse for his poor choices in the past, but it's something that needs to be considered. 

That's a pretty big deal considering most of the consumers are English speakers; you'd think they would make more of an attempt at bridging that gap, but alas.

Suddenly, I miss Sonic Team USA.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why? Iizuka was head of Sonic Team USA when it was around, so we'd still be in this same position.

Okay, so my plan for October 18th:

At 00:00, purchase Lost World from the 3DS eShop, play it for a bit, then go to sleep. Then in the morning wait for the pre-ordered Wii U version to arrive while playing the 3DS version.

Fucking genius.

But one problem: Only Fnac are taking pre-orders for Lost World at the moment, and they don't offer delivery on release day. Neither Micromania nor Amazon FR have it listed. I'm beginning to worry that they might not be stocking it :/

Okay, so my plan for October 18th:

At 00:00, purchase Lost World from the 3DS eShop, play it for a bit, then go to sleep. Then in the morning wait for the pre-ordered Wii U version to arrive while playing the 3DS version.

Fucking genius.

But one problem: Only Fnac are taking pre-orders for Lost World at the moment, and they don't offer delivery on release day. Neither Micromania nor Amazon FR have it listed. I'm beginning to worry that they might not be stocking it :/

dude, then go to your local game shop and buy it there :D mine has all new releases a week before they actually release. that's quite awesome.

Language barrier?

It really shouldn't be that hard though. They have PR, of course. Why not just have Aaron or someone like him talk to Iizuka themsleves and be done with it? It'd make things so much easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

It might also be because the public and critics at large are not going to complain about tubular level design because a fun game easily breeds complacency. Not many people, and practically none of the critics, are going to say "It would be nice to apply the Parkour to more traditional, grounded level design the next game." That's a bit too nuanced, meaning Sonic Team will have no reason to change it anyway even at the express dissent of some of the fans. Besides, whenever ST happens upon a good idea or a well-received one, they never really apply that idea in newer or more innovative ways. They never really stretch the limits of that idea. They either tweak it a bunch of times and/or throw it out. As I've said with everything, I'd like to be proven wrong on this, but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt on anything.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well this image was up on Sega's american Lost World page and I didn't know if this has been posted yet:

Its a close up on the asteroid wisp along with the 2d Windy hill sunset stage, opening it in a new tab will show a larger image as well

ba8d1df9-ae78-4176-b008-c8a893c25697.jpg

EDIT: Spoilered for size

Edited by LordMetallix
  • Thumbs Up 5