Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I don't really see the logic in this argument of "it's ok if I like it". Fun is subjective. Some might be fine with powering through the game, but could easily be turned off by being forced to collect an arbitrary amount of macguffins just to continue playing.

Not that I disagree with you, but the entire Chao Garden system in SA2 thrived on grinding for Chaos Drives and Animals.

.... oh gosh. What if...

...nah, couldn't be.   ...could it?

I don't really see the logic in this argument of "it's ok if I like it". Fun is subjective. Some might be fine with powering through the game, but could easily be turned off by being forced to collect an arbitrary amount of macguffins just to continue playing.

Well first off I did phrase it in terms of what I like; I wasn't trying to speak for everyone.

But I do think, relatively speaking, grinding for animals would be less of a problem than other kinds of grinding, or things like Unleashed's medals, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind if they asked for 10, maybe 20 animals to be saved per stage, since that's pretty much reasonable and it's not really grinding. Just destroy a few Badniks and that's it.

Yeah, as long as it's not like 'collect every animal in the stage' and there are plenty of badniks around, I wouldn't have a problem.

It'd probably be like the stars/shine sprites in the 3D Mario games to unlock further stages.

If they do that I'm going to be pretty mad. I don't care if it's animals or medals, it's a pretty annoying gimmick when you need to replay a stage simply to progress in the story. I reached the goal, that's the only requirement I should have to fulfill, I think.

I'm hoping any bonuses for collecting animals will be like packages and the like in Grand Theft Auto, with varying rewards as you pick up more, culminating in a really grand reward once you get all of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

What I wonder is what the score is for and whether or not there will be a total cumulative score.  If there isn't, the only reason I can think for its existence is online leaderboards.  If it is, then that could open up more possibilities.  It looks like there's a number of ways to cumulate score here and I just hope it's not redundant like in the 2D Mario games (seriously, score means NOTHING in those games yet there's so many ways to cumulate it it's stupid).

Animals stated to be collected for optional Bonus Unlockables, not mandatory things like level progression.

Animals stated to be collected for optional Bonus Unlockables, not mandatory things like level progression.

Well thank God for that. I am glad Iizuka has learned from Unleashed's downsides and adopted a firm "never again" policy towards them.

Now, I wonder what the unlockables will be... perhaps it could alter the ending...? Unlock some sort of cutscene after the credits?

Now I'm pondering what the surprise for owning both versions will be.

Thinking things, its not always good. Why did the idea of the animals being mandatory for level progression come up anyway? Is there just always thoughts of the negative kind? Or do you just try to think negative to keep your hype down for less impact of possible dissappointment?

Edited by Chrononego
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thinking things, its not always good. Why did the idea of the animals being mandatory for level progression come up anyway? Is there just always thoughts of the negative kind? Or do you just try to think negative to keep your hype down for less impact of dissappointment?

We're so used to Sonic Team throwing in a trollish feature in an otherwise practically perfect game by now I guess this comes naturally. At least, that's my way of thinking... as much as I love Iizuka's direction, I still always wonder "what will this game's drawback be...?" when I enjoy a new title. The length, that looks like a homing shot, the Werehog, etc.

Though your suggestion actually would be a pretty good defense mechanism. The only thing more dangerous than a mediocre game would be an awesome game that doesn't come close to the hype for it.

Arbitrary collectathons have no place in a Sonic game. At all. So no, I'd rather they not force me to collect thirty puppies or whatever else to move on to the next level.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll echo Dio and say I don't care if I have to replay a level if its fun and the requirements aren't stupid(Ffffff Adabat).

So long as it isn't as tedious as Gens requiring you to do incredibly dull missions to unlock arbitrary, gameplay padding keys, or the godawful medal-collecting in Unleashed I probably won;t mind.

So for those of you that wanted realistic graphics:

kb1vra.png

Thank you. My dreams are now forever contaminated. I hope you're all fucking happy. 

----------------------

But back on topic, does anyone think that there's a chance of online leaderboards? I hope there are, plus there could be Miiverse integration too.

EDIT: How do I use spoilers again?

Edited by Wil348
  • Thumbs Up 7

Hrmph. Well I for one am totally fine with collecting items in a Sonic game. The Red Rings are a good addition to theaeries if you ask me, and I wouldn't mind at least one other object to find in a level. That is, as long as the game is fun to play, which seems to be the case so far.

You know now that I think about it.....can anyone honestly come up with a way to make a Sonic game longer gameplay wise without the use of collecting things or alternate gameplay ala SA2? Remember that this has to be done in a 2-3 year time frame that Sonic games are made...and its not like Sonic has a development team nearly as large as other big time developers like Epic Games and Infinity Ward.

All I'm saying is that I'm hearing a lot of complaints about Sonic games being to short, but when the solutions aren't good enough and people find that its unnecessary padding then your basically back at square 1.

There is no way to please everyone and I think the safe bet is having a short and sweet game than to do padding that going to piss the majority of everyone off in the first place. Its us as fans driving ST in a corner like this honestly. I also find it funny on how strict the reigns are around Sonic compared to other platform when its comes to the public eye.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welp just checked the Japanese website again and the 4th trailer is up which appears to be the Gamescom/DLC trailer.

If animals are used to unlock levels it should be optional stages. Nothing more. I don't want to run around collecting fucktons of animals just to progress in the story, how is that fun?

Hrmph. Well I for one am totally fine with collecting items in a Sonic game. The Red Rings are a good addition to theaeries if you ask me, and I wouldn't mind at least one other object to find in a level. That is, as long as the game is fun to play, which seems to be the case so far.

The difference is that the game doesn't force you to collect the red rings to progress

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 1

If animals are used to unlock levels it should be optional stages. Nothing more. I don't want to run around collecting fucktons of animals just to progress in the story, how is that fun?

Some 100% competitionist might? Just like how some people enjoyed the Werehog.

In fact it was a good selling point arguably...Most kids actually liked the Werehog concept, its us "smart adult gamers" that though it was a bad idea. I still think it wasn't the best idea, but you get my point.

Edited by Voyant

If animals are used to unlock levels it should be optional stages. Nothing more. I don't want to run around collecting fucktons of animals just to progress in the story, how is that fun? The difference is that the game doesn't force you to collect the red rings to progress
I never indicated anything to the contrary.

Well decided to check Gamestop to see if the Deadly Six edition was shown and saw this in the Wii U section:

PwKTRs4.png

Well at the very least its doing well there if thats anything to go by.

EDIT: Also saw this in the product page for Lost World on Gamestop:

EZZdqkm.png

Edited by LordMetallix