Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Pretty much. After the first 5 or 6 cutscenes, the story becomes irrelevant filler to the game until you get to Asteroid Coaster; because that's where the game actually remembered that there was supposed to be a plot other than Sonic and Tails spouting dumb jokes.

Nevermind the fact that shutting down the generations was ALWAYS the main goal/plot of the story and they never lost sight of said goal.

Nevermind the fact that shutting down the generations was ALWAYS the main goal/plot of the story and they never lost sight of said goal.

Alright, fair enough; after Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival, it becomes irrelevant filler until Asteroid Coaster.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is that, when the goal doesn't change, there are no complications, and there's no effect from completing each part...nothing interesting is happening.
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I may sidestep this latest "Let's Meh At Sonic Colors/Generations" digression...

As much as I find the constant reminders of Sonic's meh past quite tiring at this point, I actually dig that they have a positive opinion of both versions of the game so far. I just hope those positive previews later become positive reviews...

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 4

Colors's plot doesn't actually loose it's way much more than Unleashed's does. Unleashed just had more interesting NPCs to make up for it. Sonic and Chip themselves are much less interesting to listen to than Sonic and Tails in Colors. 

What about Sonic and Tails entering the amusement park, Eggman's plans to enslave the wisps and create a mind control device, or the corruption of the wisps?

These plot points don't advance the plot beyond being necessary for a basic narrative backbone and are shunted out of the way the second they aren't needed to obviously give prominence to silly flanderized Sonic shenanigans and Eggman plotting behind the scenes and hardly ever getting off his ass to instigate things personally. What undermines the mind control device plot point is that it fizzles out in no time, is not utilized to the massive potential it had and has no real influence on the story. Sonic and Tails don't exhibit any particular worry about the cannon because they don't even know of it's existence which in itself makes the plot devoid of tension and even makes you question the point of the mini mind control weapon and it's cutscene because it doesn't serve to wizen Sonic and Tails to the real threat and doesn't influence the story.

The Wisps are never developed. We are given no indication that they are characters with vivid personalities and individuality which makes it impossible to particularly care about their plight which again undermines the drama or emotive feeling of the cutscene showing their corruption.

The game is more fixated with unfunny jokes rather than telling a story that feels like it's truly progressing. It's all "Go there do this" rather than exhibiting bumps and curves that make for an interesting attention-holding story.

• Thumbs Up 4

Colors's plot doesn't actually loose it's way much more than Unleashed's does. Unleashed just had more interesting NPCs to make up for it. Sonic and Chip themselves are much less interesting to listen to than Sonic and Tails in Colors. 

That's all subjective, though. Personally, I enjoyed Sonic and Chip's interaction in Unleashed more than Sonic and Tails in Colors. Honestly I found both of them really annoying after a while, and it made me develop a dislike for Tails in general.

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do hope they release a demo soon enough

That reminds me, how easy/hard is it to hack a Wii U? It's still young, so hackers are probably still only trying to find out how to do so. If that's the case, it's way less likely that the demo will get hacked and the game will be spoiled. The 360 and PS3 were like six years old during the spoiling of Generations, so it makes sense that that Retro(?) hacker had a way to dig into the files, IMO.

This point may our may not be out of my thirst for eShop demos of this game

Edited by Auto

Anyway, we're derailing the topic again. My main point is that I don't want Lost World to be as short and bare-bones in terms of both game content and story as Colors and Generations, so it'll actually be worth the price tag; and going by what I've seen so far, I'm honestly not too worried, aside from the Color Powers' controls and the Game pad being mandatory in the Wii U version.

Edited by Tomoki

That reminds me, how easy/hard is it to hack a Wii U? It's still young, so hackers are probably still only trying to find out how to do so. If that's the case, it's way less likely that the demo will get hacked and the game will be spoiled. The 360 and PS3 were like six years old during the spoiling of Generations, so it makes sense that that Retro(?) hacker had a way to dig into the files, IMO.

This point may our may not be out of my thirst for eShop demos of this game

Or they could just not have a load of assets in the demo they don't want getting spoiled

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 2

Or they could just not have a load of assets in the demo they don't want getting spoiler

That might not be possible. I wouldn't know, I don't know how this stuff worlds.

And here we go with the "Unleashed/Colors/Generations sucks, Unleashed/Colors/Generations is better" argument for the nth time. Do you people ever get tired of this?

Because I could have sworn this was the Lost World topic.

• Thumbs Up 4

And here we go with the "Unleashed/Colors/Generations sucks, Unleashed/Colors/Generations is better" argument for the nth time. Do you people ever get tired of this?

Late to the party. We're now talking about how it'd be cool if Lost World had a demo, but concerned that it may cause leaks like Generations' demo did.

I think the problem with Generatios as that instead of making a demo with just the content they want you to see they just took their current build of the game and locked off all the other content, at least from what I can tell. As awesome as it would be to be able to hack the game and get all the content they don't want us seeing, I'd seriously hope SEGA would learn from that mistake after Generations.

[cont.] But I do know that when you're downloading a demo of a game on a 360, you're actually downloading the full version with the majority of it locked behind a few levels and different menus. That might be the case for the Wii U, as well.

What's wrong with using examples from other games to back up points about this game? And we're not talking about the quality of those games, we're discussing the writing.

Edited by Auto

There's also an issue in that all the other assets take up more space as well. Space that could be put to better use than content I can't actually see because it's all locked off.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

Do you mean like you don't want the game to be spoiled or...

I don't want SEGA to be reluctant about releasing demos early because of hackers leaking files from them. No one does.

I don't think anybody's brought up the possibility of the animal friends being used for Chao Gardens. Personally I don't see it happening, but hey, it's a possibility, especially with lots of people wanting them to return.

I don't get why they haven't had an IOS Chao Garden game though - seriously SEGA, fans would throw their money at you. You could rule the world.