Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I don't like the skin that much. sad.png

I wish they instead released a 3DS XL that was Sonic themed.

That'd be an interesting bundle with Lost World 3DS.

Or, knowing Sega, they would do this with the 2DS instead.

I'm not personally a big fan of multiple endings. I think a story is better if it has a clear Start-Medium-End. Multiple endings can be interesting, but I think it's better to have a excellently planned out story.

Sonic's not exactly big on story, or particularly great at it either, but I think it would benefit from a linear story.

Having multiple endings doesn't automatically mean they aren't well made.

Of course not!

It's only that, by nature, multiple endings aren't a definitive ending, even when there is a canon ending (and canon endings defeats the purpose of multiple endings really).

I personally feel that a linear story is more focused and definitive because it's got a clear progression.

Edited by Lokust

Having multiple endings doesn't make the overall story of a game any better or any worse. Its just there to show you that this is the effect(or consequence)of how you played the game. If done in a way that is exceptional it'll be nice little thing to experience and give you a reason to get the others if you're interested. How implimenting them goes really depends on the story, and game-play. A game with a fully planned story can still have multiple endings if certain actions made throughout the game effect the one you get. Its something developers may like doing if they feel it doesn't detract from anything. Most times they're really pointless extras anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having multiple endings doesn't make the overall story of a game any better or any worse. Its just there to show you that this is the effect(or consequence)of how you played the game. If done in a way that is exceptional it'll be nice little thing to experience and give you a reason to get the others if you're interested. How implimenting them goes really depends on the story, and game-play. A game with a fully planned story can still have multiple endings if certain actions made throughout the game effect the one you get. Its something developers may like doing if they feel it doesn't detract from anything. Most times they're really pointless extras anyway.

That's a good use of multiple endings. Of course, the narrative has to be expertly woven in order to have such clever turns.

However, most of the time, multiple endings happen rather suddenly and without warning. I'm thinking of a game like Heavy Rain. I really like David Cage, but his games always have the same kind of multiple endings. The story is almost completely linear, with a clear progression, and then that progression is thrown out the window towards the end as the player can gain 5+ endings depending on actions taken purely in the final 5 minutes. I just find that very jarring.

But, like you said, multiple endings can be done well.

I don't like the idea of multiple endings for the sake of it, as if that adds more value to the game.

Edited by Lokust

Multiple endings lose their impact when you can save your game and go back to do more things, though. Even the modern games with the chaos emeralds feel kind of pointless since you can just replay the special stage, without having to worry about failing. It's went from trying to get them before you reach the end to just... collecting them.

And there's really no way to recreate that either without alienating players because they've suddenly found they can't go back to previous levels. At least make the special stages harder so you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you beat them

Hmm. I like the idea of multiple endings, or more specifically multiple level-based pathways, because I feel the exploration gained from that is extremely rewarding. Their impact is tempered however by actual canon since there can only be one ending. Perhaps it'd be interesting if there was one definitive ending, but certain facets about it like dialogue and difficulty changed depending on how you got there in the first place. For example, In Lost World's case, perhaps the more animals you save then naturally the less Badniks to tackle in the final stages, but perhaps a trade-off would be the Deadly Six and/or Eggman would be more prepared with a harder or different boss battle than you'd otherwise find, as they've noticed long beforehand that you've been decimating their forces and fuel.

• Thumbs Up 2

Multiple endings lose their impact when you can save your game and go back to do more things, though. Even the modern games with the chaos emeralds feel kind of pointless since you can just replay the special stage, without having to worry about failing. It's went from trying to get them before you reach the end to just... collecting them.

And there's really no way to recreate that either without alienating players because they've suddenly found they can't go back to previous levels. At least make the special stages harder so you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you beat them

I already have the scars from Sonic Rush Special Stages 6 & 7, Sonic 4 Episode 2 Special Stage 7 and every Special Stage in Sonic Advance. Not to mention Sonic Heroes.

If they were any harder I'd blow a blood vessel.

As for the multiple endings, they're a pretty great idea. Sonic 3 & Knuckles pulled it off pretty well.

Eh, I think I phrased that pretty badly. I was thinking more along the lines of it being more challenging to actually reach them. Having to beat some difficult challenge, as opposed to "collect fifty rings in this stage." I'm thinking something like Rayman Origins or Super Meat Boy, more or less.

I'm opposed to the idea of multiple endings 'just because'. Multiple Endings should be a narrative decision rather than a gameplay decision, otherwise they aren't really multiple endings at all. When games give you multiple endings for how you performed in the game, and rewarding you based on your game abilities, then they are simply not real multiple endings. They become numerous 'bad' (or failure) endings and the one true good ending.

Games like True Crime, where the multiple endings are really narrative pits, are an excellent example of this. Even Heavy Rain is, since the endings are really 'fail' endings if you don't pass the QTEs.

I think this a very poor way to build a narrative, and in fact, is explicitly putting the gameplay as a much higher priority than storyline. And hey, if you don't value storylines in games that's fine, but I think Sonic is better with a well-done (albeit not convoluted) plot.

Multiple endings as a narrative decision can work when it is based on decisions and pathways, but even then, it's very difficult to make each ending equally satisfying and conclusive. Even if there isn't a canon ending, the best ending naturally becomes the canon ending anyway. In Heavy Rain, David Cage claimed that each ending was as definitive as the other, but that simply wasn't true. The 'Very Good' ending has become, in the fandom, the canon ending even if it was never intended to because it was the most satisfying ending.

So for many reasons, I would much prefer it for multiple endings to not be used at all.

There is also the honest reason as well. Sonic Team aren't exactly great story pioneers, are they. I would much rather they take on a more conventional plot approach then go all experimental and fuck up. They simply don't have the ability, or experience, to do it.

Edited by Lokust

I think it'd be a cute throwback if, assuming you don't free the maximum number of animals by the time you beat the final boss, you get a screen telling you to keep saving them, kinda like the "Get more emeralds you lazy butt!!" screen the classic games give you if you didn't get them all. I dunno how the animals would affect the actual ending, though.

Two endings (one being "good" while the other being "perfect") is how the classics handled it. I could maybe see it working nowadays. It wouldn't be necessary, but could give extra incentive for you to fulfill whatever requirement needed to get the "perfect" ending.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it'd be a cute throwback if, assuming you don't free the maximum number of animals by the time you beat the final boss, you get a screen telling you to keep saving them, kinda like the "Get more emeralds you lazy butt!!" screen the classic games give you if you didn't get them all. I dunno how the animals would affect the actual ending, though.

Two endings (one being "good" while the other being "perfect") is how the classics handled it. I could maybe see it working nowadays. It wouldn't be necessary, but could give extra incentive for you to fulfill whatever requirement needed to get the "perfect" ending.

Something like that would definitely suit Lost World, yeah. And I agree with what everyone else has been saying -- multiple endings are good n' all, but something like a canon ending ruins the fun of it. But two things: one, a series like Sonic sort of needs a canon ending to things like that, alike Shadow the Hedgehog, otherwise we'd be barking at each others throats as to what's canon or not. Like Chronicles or Battle, for example. But two, that's where the fans come in. I've seen some amazing AUs with the branching stories used in Shadow the Hedgehog, even if it wasn't the one SEGA went with. The same goes for the other two games that aren't considered canon by many.

Part of me doesn't understand the rage at the fact that there's a canon ending to Shadow the Hedgehog -- sure, the multiple endings are thrown out the window canon-wise, but isn't that sort of needed after the fiasco of where Battle fit with say, Heroes and Shadow after Battle was released between the two? And even without those games in the picture, there's still some vague questions as to what's canon, and what's not. All SEGA's said is 'Don't think about it too much'... which I can't stop myself from doing. My bad!

So, if Lost World has any sort of selective endings or anything like that, they'd probably go with that saving flickies option above where it doesn't exactly hurt the story all that much and it doesn't have so many loose ties to the true canon ending like Shadow the Hedgehog did. Something like Sonic 2 for the Game Gear where it matters on how many things you've collected on weither you get the good ending or semi-bad ending and those being the only two, or it'll take a Colors route, where stuff is different depending on where you go place-wise, and nothing else. 

Honestly, I don't see Lost World having different ending options, even if that'd be a nice little throwback to some (There's already a lot as is, so it's not a total loss) since I don't really think it'd suit the story. From what the writer(s) have said, it looks like it has a moral to it. And keeping the younger audience who this lesson can easily be taught to, it'd be good to have them learn with the character, but it'd be counter-productive to that if they had an ending where the kid messed up no matter what they tried to prevent. Y'know? 

It'd be better, if the story DOES have a moral at least as far as Sonic kicking the shell goes, if they showed what to do and NOT to do through cutscenes. Like show his ego being unable to admit he made a mistake at first, and having to be taught the lesson throughout the story. 

We'll just have to wait and see!

There's nothing really wrong with having multiple endings. In fact, it'd give the player more of an incentive to go back and see what they missed so they can finish the story. Ya know, replay value.

It depends on how its done tho; multiple endings are ultimately pointless because of canon, so just do it similar to Kirby 64; there is an "ending" but something about feels "off" so you go back and collect whatever needs to be collected. Beat the game, and so on to get the "True Ending".

• Thumbs Up 4

It depends on how its done tho; multiple endings are ultimately pointless because of canon, so just do it similar to Kirby 64; there is an "ending" but something about feels "off" so you go back and collect whatever needs to be collected. Beat the game, and so on to get the "True Ending".

Yeeah, this is kind of what I wanted to say but I wasn't sure how to say it. I really don't think that would be difficult for the writers (and Sonic Team in general) to do...

I guess in a way the final stories of various Sonic games leading up to Unleashed were kind of like this...but you mostly just got the true endings for playing everything else in the story, rather than needing to do anything special. IIRC, in SA2, if you beat the Hero story first, there's no indication that the ending was anything other than just that--the ending. That's all there was to it. Granted if you played the first Adventure you would likely suspect otherwise. I myself played SA2 first. But, I digress. However when you play the Dark story and get to the ending, Eggman ends up trying to use the cannon and thus triggers the events of the final story, 

Honestly, I don't see Lost World having different ending options, even if that'd be a nice little throwback to some (There's already a lot as is, so it's not a total loss) since I don't really think it'd suit the story. From what the writer(s) have said, it looks like it has a moral to it. And keeping the younger audience who this lesson can easily be taught to, it'd be good to have them learn with the character, but it'd be counter-productive to that if they had an ending where the kid messed up no matter what they tried to prevent. Y'know?

That's...a good point, actually. I guess in that sense multiple endings wouldn't fit, but it all depends on how they handled it.

It'd be better, if the story DOES have a moral at least as far as Sonic kicking the shell goes, if they showed what to do and NOT to do through cutscenes. Like show his ego being unable to admit he made a mistake at first, and having to be taught the lesson throughout the story.

I think it's more than likely that this is going to be the main theme of the story. Especially with that quote from Ken Pontac.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Why is it that every time new screens come out of this game the argument of Lost World not having a detailed environment becomes more and more of a fallacy?

Edited by Voyant

Edit:

slw-3.jpg

He has returned.

"My fellow penguins, we stand on a great threshold. It's okay to be scared - many of you won't be coming back. Thanks to our dear leader Eggman, the time has come to punish ALL blue hedgehogs! First, second, third AND fourth born - why be biased?! Male and female! Hell, the sexes are equal with their erogenous zones......DIVEBOMBED FROM SKY HIGH!

FORWAAAARRDDD MARCH!

THE VENGEANCE OF THE PENGUINATOR ARMY HAS BEGUN!!"

Edited by Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 6

Penguinator huh? Yeah, fine. This was inevitable anyway.

Can't be excited only just because another classic badnik has made a re-appearance, sorry. Especially since his redesign also doesn't impress me.

Edited by ArtFenix

"My fellow penguins, we stand on a great threshold. It's okay to be scared - many of you won't be coming back. Thanks to our dear leader Eggman, the time has come to punish ALL blue hedgehogs! First, second, third AND fourth born - why be biased?! Male and female! Hell, the sexes are equal with their erogenous zones......DIVEBOMBED FROM SKY HIGH!

FORWAAAARRDDD MARCH!

THE VENGEANCE OF THE PENGUINATOR ARMY HAS BEGUN!!"

Did you just pull a batman returns reference also there seems to be standard sized ball hog and stone versions of them

I'm opposed to the idea of multiple endings 'just because'. Multiple Endings should be a narrative decision rather than a gameplay decision, otherwise they aren't really multiple endings at all. When games give you multiple endings for how you performed in the game, and rewarding you based on your game abilities, then they are simply not real multiple endings. They become numerous 'bad' (or failure) endings and the one true good ending.

Games like True Crime, where the multiple endings are really narrative pits, are an excellent example of this. Even Heavy Rain is, since the endings are really 'fail' endings if you don't pass the QTEs.

I think this a very poor way to build a narrative, and in fact, is explicitly putting the gameplay as a much higher priority than storyline. And hey, if you don't value storylines in games that's fine, but I think Sonic is better with a well-done (albeit not convoluted) plot.

Multiple endings as a narrative decision can work when it is based on decisions and pathways, but even then, it's very difficult to make each ending equally satisfying and conclusive. Even if there isn't a canon ending, the best ending naturally becomes the canon ending anyway. In Heavy Rain, David Cage claimed that each ending was as definitive as the other, but that simply wasn't true. The 'Very Good' ending has become, in the fandom, the canon ending even if it was never intended to because it was the most satisfying ending.

So for many reasons, I would much prefer it for multiple endings to not be used at all.

There is also the honest reason as well. Sonic Team aren't exactly great story pioneers, are they. I would much rather they take on a more conventional plot approach then go all experimental and fuck up. They simply don't have the ability, or experience, to do it.

what.

You're pretty much saying that a game has to be completely linear and have no element of choice whatsoever unless it has a strong narrative. Why can't I choose which level to visit just because the game i'm playing doens't have a deep narrative? What about S3&K, where you need all the emeralds to fight the final boss? What about Wario Land, where the ending you get tells you how good you did? These should be scrapped because the plot isn't the focus? The plot isn't the focus in the first place, why does it suddenly matter now? Why should the gameplay suffer because of the plot? Why do you take issue with multiple endings in an excuse plot, yet have no issue with the excuse plot itself? The endings aren't focused on the plot, they're there for the gameplay. Nothing more. The plot is there to explain the setting not to give an amazing narrative. The endings are there for the sake of being there, the splitting pathways in the levels are the focus.

• Thumbs Up 1