Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Which goes back to what I was saying about how I don't get it when people say things like this. It's like saying what's the point of playing any platformer when games like Mario Galaxy exists, it's considered the pinnacle of the platforming genre, so why play anything else right?

Except nobody is saying this :\

You can enjoy games that somewhat inferior to others. The point I was making is that 3D Sonic games haven't been really good since the dimensional leap, so naturally when a game that isn't littered with problems comes out, its going to be looked at more favorably than it is because it is inherently better than its previous iterations. HOWEVER, when you compare Sonic's recent games to the rest of the platforming genre, they start looking less good because the competition is offering more than what those games are providing. 

Everyone here is more than likely an avid Sonic fan, and naturally going to have the biased perspective of a fan(And before anyone gets offended, there's nothing wrong with being biased. everyone is biased to an extent). However, when you are not a diehard Sonic fan, you can look at other games from a neutral perspective and see some are better than others.

Or to make a short version:

To a Sonic fan, after a game like 06; anything is going to look like an amazing game by comparison.

To the average, unbiased fan however; a game like Sonic Colors/Generations is kinda overshadowed by a game like Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

This isn't saying the games are bad, nor is it saying you are not allowed to play "better" games. By all means, if you think Sonic Colors/Generations is an amazing game, then be my guest. Just understand, that not everyone is an avid Sonic fan who's been waiting for each game year by year like you, and that they might have other preferences that don't necessarily align with yours.

Just because Vanilla is considered the "best" flavor by the mass doesn't mean I can't enjoy Chocolate. However, I do acknowledge that Vanilla might have more to offer than Chocolate, even if I don't really agree with those statements.

I played Sonic Colours before I reached the age where I could discern between bad and good (yes i'm quite young stfu) and liked pretty much every sonic game ever

I hate almost all of them now

I still love Colours just as much as I did back then

What lower standards?

Another impression, and yes they do a better job at reminding us of Sonic's rough period. 

http://videogamewriters.com/hands-preview-sonic-lost-world-64080

Well, I must say: this is a pretty okay preview of the game. Even the introduction isn't all that meh; it acknowledges Sonic's recent "comeback" as well as its slump, so eh, I can't be mad even if I wanted to be.

To the average, unbiased fan however; a game like Sonic Colors/Generations is kinda overshadowed by a game like Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The irony of this. You could say Sonic 4 Episode 1 only sucked for the biased fans, since they were expecting a proper sequel to 3&K, whereas the average, unbiased fan didn't care and loved it. Oh wait, that did happen, Sonic 4 Episode 1 got mostly good reviews. Rayman? Donkey Kong? I'm not even a 100% obsessed Sonic fan that only plays Sonic, and to me at least that stupid helicopter whatever the hell he is and Donkey Kong are overrated as fuck. Even Sonic's poorer titles (e.g. Sonic Unleashed, not talking 06 bad) are better than that uninspired garbage. In fact, if it weren't for the Derphog, Unleashed would have been one of the greatest games of the last decade. That game was fucking beautiful with revolutionary art direction and nobody gave a single fuck, then when Nintendo pulls another "new game" out of their ass everyone bends down and worships it. Even though I think Rayman sucks, the games are still original I'll give them that. Sorry for the rant but people really need to stop acting like Sonic is at death's door and Mario and his other dick buddies are the guests of honour at the Plaza Hotel's Celebration Of The Greatest People Ever.

Now, enough of that shit and back to Lost World. The game looks amazing and in my opinion captures the spirit of the classic games in 3D. No there's no downhill rolling physics but who the fuck cares? We still have the Adventure style air and slight running momentum and that's good enough. They got their shit together and made what looks like a cohesive universe that can be built upon instead of Sonic's usual one time excursions. They also realised that things like Flickies and Elemental Shields are awesome as hell, among other classic aesthetics. Unless the dev team slaps in The Werehog or Silver, I don't think this game will fail, and people will finally recognise that Sonic games are GOOD.

While it's clear that DKC Returns, Rayman and Mario have all had better offerings recently, that shouldn't be taken as a slight against Colours/Generations, because they are all quality games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, okay, I know you like Sonic, but there's no need to spout outright BULLSHIT just to make him look better. Rayman Origins and DKCR are probably the farthest from the word "uninspired" than you could POSSIBLY get. Comparing them to Sonic 4 and then calling Sonic 4 more inspired when it copies pretty much every trope from the classic games and does them outright badly is just bullshit.  

I mean, seriously, look at this.

RO_GL.jpg

and look at THIS.

Sonic4newscreenb.jpg

And tell me which one looks more like it had actual drive behind it.

You can't make that comparison. Sonic 4 was trying to look retro, call it a cozy excuse for laziness if you will but it's still an unfair comparison. Compare a Rayman screenshot to Sonic taking a stroll through Windmill Isle and suddenly Rayman doesn't look so hot. 

Except Rayman Origins and Sonic Unleashed are completely different games in every single fucking way, what point are you trying to make?

• Thumbs Up 4

The irony of this. You could say Sonic 4 Episode 1 only sucked for the biased fans, since they were expecting a proper sequel to 3&K, whereas the average, unbiased fan didn't care and loved it.

No you couldn't.

There was quite a lot of reasons as to why Sonic 4 sucked. It not living up to the Sonic 4 name regarding being a terrible Sonic 3 & Knuckles sequel is just one issue amongst many others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except Rayman Origins and Sonic Unleashed are completely different games in every single fucking way, what point are you trying to make?

That comparing games visually is irrelevant. Remove the pretty hand-drawn graphics and Rayman is literally moving down a hill just as Sonic would.

No you couldn't.

There was quite a lot of reasons as to why Sonic 4 sucked. It not living up to the Sonic 4 name regarding being a terrible Sonic 3 & Knuckles sequel is just one issue amongst many others.

What actual issues can you bring up that aren't related to the game being different to the classics? Without the physics or instant air stopping to support you (Megaman does that and nobody cares) you've got nothing. The game had pretty good level design, only downside were the Bubbles Chains which don't exactly ruin the whole experience.
Edited by Speed Drift

That comparing games visually is irrelevant. Remove the pretty hand-drawn graphics and Rayman is literally moving down a hill just as Sonic would.

And if you remove Sonic's speed, then he's no better than any of the games you're deriding. So what point are trying to make aside from mud slinging other games?

You can't make that comparison. Sonic 4 was trying to look retro, call it a cozy excuse for laziness if you will but it's still an unfair comparison. 

If it wanted to look like a classic Sonic game, fine, but it could have at least tried to be good at it.

Compare a Rayman screenshot to Sonic taking a stroll through Windmill Isle and suddenly Rayman doesn't look so hot. 

8069.jpg

Sonic-Lost-World-9.jpg

You could make an argument for either style being better. They're both great. Two completely different approaches. You can't really compare them.

You do know that you're being pretty biased yourself right now.

And if you remove Sonic's speed, then he's no better than any of the games you're deriding. So what point are trying to make aside from mud slinging other games?

I made my point in my first post, people chose to only focus on a small snippet. To re-iterate, Sonic games are not worse than titles like Donkey Kong and Rayman to the average customer. It's just nerdy late teens to adults that bash on Sonic. Sonic is loved by the kids that keep Sega alive just as much as Rayman and Donkey Kong are. @Plasm Wraith: I said Windmill Isle but I don't blame you, we all have Lost World on our minds xD

Edited by Speed Drift

Sonic 4 was trying to look retro,

It failed. It just looks ugly.

call it a cozy excuse for laziness if you will but it's still an unfair comparison. Compare a Rayman screenshot to Sonic taking a stroll through Windmill Isle and suddenly Rayman doesn't look so hot.

No Rayman still looks pretty damn slick.

Without the physics or instant air stopping to support you (Megaman does that and nobody cares)

Megaman is a very different sort of game than Sonic and its physics work with that. Sonic 4 pretends it's classic without understanding how those games worked and thus accomplishes nothing more than a sloppy, amateurish imitation.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Without the physics or instant air stopping to support you (Megaman does that and nobody cares)

Nobody "cares" when Mega Man does it because it's an established thing with that series. Sonic has always generally had some form of momentum with his jumps throughout the years, so its absence in the Sonic 4 games is rather jarring. It made the gameplay janky.

@Plasm Wraith: I said Windmill Isle but I don't blame you, we all have Lost World on our minds xD

My argument still stands.

I'd be willing to argue Rayman Legends looks far better than Unleashed actually. It all comes down to personal opinion. Holding one over the other is pointless. 

Nobody "cares" when Mega Man does it because it's an established thing with that series. Sonic has always generally had some form of momentum with his jumps throughout the years, so its absence in the Sonic 4 games is rather jarring. It made the gameplay janky.

Fair point, but can something like that really bring the game down to a fan's score of 5/10: SEGA FAILED compared to the generally accepted 7/10? Also nobody actually got and responded to the point I was making in my first post.

So now we're saying Colors and Generations are just barely average? Seriously? I think we're underselling them.

The irony of this. You could say Sonic 4 Episode 1 only sucked for the biased fans, since they were expecting a proper sequel to 3&K, whereas the average, unbiased fan didn't care and loved it. Oh wait, that did happen, Sonic 4 Episode 1 got mostly good reviews. Rayman? Donkey Kong? I'm not even a 100% obsessed Sonic fan that only plays Sonic, and to me at least that stupid helicopter whatever the hell he is and Donkey Kong are overrated as fuck. Even Sonic's poorer titles (e.g. Sonic Unleashed, not talking 06 bad) are better than that uninspired garbage. In fact, if it weren't for the Derphog, Unleashed would have been one of the greatest games of the last decade. That game was fucking beautiful with revolutionary art direction and nobody gave a single fuck, then when Nintendo pulls another "new game" out of their ass everyone bends down and worships it. Even though I think Rayman sucks, the games are still original I'll give them that. Sorry for the rant but people really need to stop acting like Sonic is at death's door and Mario and his other dick buddies are the guests of honour at the Plaza Hotel's Celebration Of The Greatest People Ever.

Now, enough of that shit and back to Lost World. The game looks amazing and in my opinion captures the spirit of the classic games in 3D. No there's no downhill rolling physics but who the fuck cares? We still have the Adventure style air and slight running momentum and that's good enough. They got their shit together and made what looks like a cohesive universe that can be built upon instead of Sonic's usual one time excursions. They also realised that things like Flickies and Elemental Shields are awesome as hell, among other classic aesthetics. Unless the dev team slaps in The Werehog or Silver, I don't think this game will fail, and people will finally recognise that Sonic games are GOOD.

"They're not bad games, they're just overshadowed by much better ones."

-Azure Yakuzu

Edited by Speed Drift

Fair point, but can something like that really bring the game down to a fan's score of 5/10: SEGA FAILED compared to the generally accepted 7/10?

Yeah. The controls and mechanics of a game are...kind of really fuckin' important? And if you fuck that up you've probably botched the whole thing. 5/10 is still higher than it deserves, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 2

No you couldn't.

There was quite a lot of reasons as to why Sonic 4 sucked. It not living up to the Sonic 4 name regarding being a terrible Sonic 3 & Knuckles sequel is just one issue amongst many others.

The piss poor physics and questionable level design sure didn't help much. Especially in Episode 2, where i stopped giving Dimps the benefit of the doubt despite reassuring fans that they've gotten their act together with that game.

"They're not bad games, they're just overshadowed by much better ones."

-Azure Yakuzu

I saw that already. He made that post after mine.

What...point are you trying to make here...?

Fair point, but can something like that really bring the game down to a fan's score of 5/10: SEGA FAILED compared to the generally accepted 7/10? Also nobody actually got and responded to the point I was making in my first post.

Well, yes...

The game was trying to replicate the Classic games, and was even try being a sequel to them. So when something important from past games is absent, like proper rolling/jumping physics, it's easy to see why a complaint like that is legitimate.