Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

One random thing: I'm glad that they're reintroducing Flickie prison canisters in this game. I sometimes get the feeling playing some modern Sonic games (and quite a few platforming games, really) that there really isn't much of a point to going through the levels. You might touch a goal ring at the end, but what exactly does that accomplish? You got from point A to a pre-defined point B and...what? What exactly did running though this cityscape achieve?  How does 'getting there' get you closer to beating Eggman?

Well what it normally does is let you know that you're at the end of an area, story-wise anyway, that goes to a cutscene and then you're at the next area. Sonic Adventure did that when not using Animal capsules, Sa2 did that at certain points, and I believe Sonic Heroes tried to do that as well and then forgot that it had classic styled level progression upon going to each level.

Edited by Chrononego

So, as I said in the 3DS thread, both versions are structured differently: The Wii U version has 4 Zones per World, with 2 mid-level bosses in Zones 2 and 4 respectively, while the 3DS version has 3 Zones and a Boss battle per World (If the TGS trailer is to go by, we might have a mini-boss in Zone 3 for every world as well). Also, the Wii U version seems to have 2 full 3D Zones, 1 full 2D Zone, and 1 Zone that's a hybrid of 2D and 3D per World, while the 3DS version has 2 3D Zones and 1 2D Zone per World. So it looks like both versions are roughly 70-75% 3D this time around.

Maybe in the 3DS version mini bosses take places in 2D zones, or in Zone 3?

SLW_3DS_Zazz_Fight.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Well what it normally does is let you know that you're at the end of an area, story-wise anyway, that goes to a cutscene and then you're at the next area. Sonic Adventure did that when not using Animal capsules, Sa2 did that at certain points, and I believe Sonic Heroes tried to do that as well and then forgot that it had classic styled level progression upon going to each level.

I guess it just feels better to have a definite goal level-wise. I know it's just a game and all , but I sometimes wonder why I need to get to point B, especially when point B ends up being the ass-end of nowhere. In Generations' Modern Chemical Plant level for example, you end up on a rooftop somewhere, but why do you need to get there in particular? Especially since the cutscene is set somewhere else? It's a question that some Sonic levels don't really answer.

But how about that Lost World, huh? 

Edited by edvedd

ss_stage_32.jpg

How can anyone claim this shot of the level looks anything but gorgeous? 

Quite easily. And I bet there are a few who will.

It looks pretty, but I wouldn't say I'm blown away by it, but I guess that's not really the point.

Also, the fact that its 1080p and running at 60fps isn't exactly anything special, in fact, I would be disappointed if this, of all games, wasn't running at 60fps. There isn't much on screen, and the textures aren't particularly high-res. Probably on a par with the textures in Unleashed. That and its running on a more powerful system.

• Thumbs Up 2

Quite easily. And I bet there are a few who will.

It looks pretty, but I wouldn't say I'm blown away by it, but I guess that's not really the point.

Also, the fact that its 1080p and running at 60fps isn't exactly anything special, in fact, I would be disappointed if this, of all games, wasn't running at 60fps. There isn't much on screen, and the textures aren't particularly high-res. Probably on a par with the textures in Unleashed. That and its running on a more powerful system.

Agreed. That and most levels shown look like recolored versions of Windy Hill or some other levels what with tubes and same-y recolored sky-box backgrounds.

Sorry, but I prefer quality over quantity.

This game sure is colorful but that's it. Visually it's not impressive whatsoever. It's just extremely colorful. At least I personally don't find anything that I find impressive in modern day and age.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I personally don't mind the artstyle, I can definitely understand why some are. The colors just seem over simplified, hopefully they step it up for next game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does it have to be technically impressive to be good, or aesthetically nice? I mean I get the principle, but you know.

More than anything I want to see the new (actually old?) badniks, new heavy usage of color and geometrical plants be in the next Sonic, if they go back to the old style. I do mostly prefer the way things looked before this, but those tiny things I mentioned being applied to a game of the previous style would blow me away.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

ArtFenix,

Not even a winning lottery ticket worth millions?

(Actually can someone please do a review of one, as though it was a video game?)

And... I'm stuck with the 3DS version for now.

I don't mind the 3DS version - after all, it's pretty much its own game. But I was so intent on getting the WiiU version and now that's on the backburner. Not least of which because I still don't have a WiiU.

But, it should be fun when I get it. And I'll look forward to playing it.

Edited by DarkRula

Why does it have to be impressive to be good, or aesthetically nice? I mean I get the principle, but you know.

The same reason we all want the plot to be well written, it helps the experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually you know what, that particular shot to me doesn't look particularly amazing either.  It's mainly the coloured water/liquid substance.  Much like the water in the Tropical Coast 1, it looks fake and low quality.  Though the rest of the stuff in the picture looks nice though.  Shadows are crisp, colours are bright and eye popping for instance.

Sorry, but I prefer quality over quantity.

Which I find rather ironic because Unleashed and Generations literally follow the philsophy of quanity of qualityLevels are loaded with a large number of objects and large in background scope and as a result compromises model and texture quality all over the place amongst other things.

...I have the strangest feeling of deja vu right now...

• Thumbs Up 8

The same reason we all want the plot to be well written, it helps the experience.

Well thats different in how one is subjective to art style and taste, while the other can only add to the experience (while pressing start helps the non-caring folk ignore it). But I do understand what you mean, sort of.

Why does it have to be impressive to be good, or aesthetically nice? I mean I get the principle, but you know.

Well, generally, stuff that looks impressive, is often extremely good and aesthetically excellent.

I think Lost World looks pretty, but its not something that I'd say is truly exceptional, though of course your mileage may vary. Its halfway there, but I feel like too many unnecessary sacrifices were made. Yeah, 60 fps, but I don't think they needed to make so many visual sacrifices to achieve that.

More than anything I want to see the new (actually old?) badniks, new heavy usage of color and geometrical plants be in the next Sonic, if they go back to the old style. I do mostly prefer the way things looked before this, but those tiny things I mentioned being applied to a game of the previous style would blow me away.

I do kind of agree with this actually. There are elements in this games visuals, I'd like to see return in future games. I just don't want the entire aesthetic to be brought back unimproved. There are things you can take from both the Unleashed-Generations visuals and this game, and combine them to work towards something better.

Sounds like Jim Sterling got his review copy

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/387667934623326208

These were pretty much my expectations for the game anyway, so ehhh...?

Doesn't really surprise me. I was always expecting this game to get a fairly mixed reception based on the new control scheme. But hey, he mentioned that it was at least sometimes solid fun - which hopefully means we won't quite get another "4.5/10 for Sonic Colours trolololol" scenario.

I'll be interesting to see what parts are "horrible messiness" though. Laser Wisp for one, probably...

I bet the Color Powers' controls had something to do with it. Freakin' touch and gyro controls, man.

Certainly wasn't expecting perfection.

I don't agree with reviewers in most cases, though.  I just gotta play a game myself.

Yeeaaah im going to take this with a grain of salt, I don't think I can take anything this guy says seriously after reading that colors review.

I'm pretty sure the "horrible messiness" will be the color powers and the speed control (the concept isn't bad at all but pressing the whole time a button for Sonic to go faster isn't the most comforting thing), but since both of them are optional then I think he's gonna whine about the level design being rather too hard or too open. If it's another whine about the difficulty, the 3DS version will be a hell for him, since it has more challenging design. But if it's about the expansivness of the levels, I would expect him to say they're so open they don't even look like they have design, which would be pretty stupid as well, but oh well, we're talking about Jim Sterling...

Doesn't really surprise me. I was always expecting this game to get a fairly mixed reception based on the new control scheme. But hey, he mentioned that it was at least sometimes solid fun - which hopefully means we won't quite get another "4.5/10 for Sonic Colours trolololol" scenario.

I'll be interesting to see what parts are "horrible messiness" though. Laser Wisp for one, probably...

The man gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5. A game that is critically acclaimed by many, so at least if this gets a 4.5, we can say it's on the same level as AC2.:P

I'm not going to take the same guy who gave Colors a 4.5 seriously, probably not EDGE either after the 5/10 score for Generations.

I'm pretty sure the "horrible messiness" will be the color powers and the speed control (the concept isn't bad at all but pressing the whole time a button for Sonic to go faster isn't the most comforting thing)

Speed control shouldn't be as hard as boosting with a single button. tongue.png

That's one complaint I seriously cannot understand.

People were up in arms about the run button, but add the same speed as Lost World to Gens, Colours or Unleashed, and isn't it exactly the same button?

I don't know. Confused. But apart from the 'destroy everything in my way' ability of the boost, aren't they really the same apart from the speed difference?