Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Nice to see the Lost Hex has good wifi. Max bars from both sides.

And Tails mass-producing his Miles Electrics and repurposing them as mobile devices is my headcanon now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gyuh, Amy's voice is still ear-bleedingly horrible. Even the 4Kids Amy was better than this one.

That trailer at the end was pretty coo, though. Why didn't the rest of the trailers make use of the main theme like this one does? It's better than Cinema, at least.

There's nothing wrong with Cindy's acting. She's not bad, she's just different. Also, you expected Ortiz level? Lisa Ortiz is a terrible actress just like every 4kids actor thats not Mike Pollock. Cindy at least actually...you know....acts.

Although i still think they should have just cast Laura Bailley as Amy instead of Omochao. She would make a great Amy.

It's not here acting per say, it's her voice... it doesn't fit Amy at all, imo. They really should've got someone who sounds younger and more teenage-like, since Amy is supposed to be 12 years old. She also sounds almost exactly like Minnie Mouse, which is awkward for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpmuVt7cS4

Awesome speedrun of Windy Hill 3DS. The spin dash works like in the Wii U (keeps going after a jump), slightly improved Sonic model, and the speed shoe theme is now the Super Sonic theme from Colors!

EDIT: It's actually a Reach for the Stars instrumental.

That 3DS speed run was much more exciting than the WiiU one.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's nothing wrong with Cindy's acting. She's not bad, she's just different. Also, you expected Ortiz level? Lisa Ortiz is a terrible actress just like every 4kids actor thats not Mike Pollock. Cindy at least actually...you know....acts.

Although i still think they should have just cast Laura Bailley as Amy instead of Omochao. She would make a great Amy.

Really? I think Ortiz played amy perfectly in the games and in sonic x she wasn't half bad either.

• Thumbs Up 7

Cindy Robinson's take on Amy does remind me of the Roger Craig Smith interview where he explained that SEGA wanted him to make Sonic sound and be older. Perhaps SEGA opts to do the same with Amy. Heaven knows it's about time for them to actually take age and time continuum of the characters into account! Come to think of it, considering the acknowledgment Sonic's birthday in-story for Generations, Tails' slight voice change (maybe it's just me but he sounds a bit older;could just be a coincidence) and different character models, they could actually be going for just that!

Ahh, the wonders of time not being fundamentally broken in the Sonic games universe!laugh.png

Edited by Jovahexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

That 3DS speed run was much more exciting than the WiiU one.
Most likely because the 3DS speedrun actually took advantage of the spin dash.

what levels are available on the demo

Looks like no more fancy gamebreaking speedruns :<

I like how speedrunning Windy Hill is essentially going straight down the most barren path possible in the stage. Hopefully this won't be a reoccurring theme 

Cindy Robinson's take on Amy does remind me of the Roger Craig Smith interview where he explained that SEGA wanted him to make Sonic sound and be older. Perhaps SEGA opts to do the same with Amy. Heaven knows it's about time for them to actually take age and time continuum of the characters into account, which could something they've already started, hence acknowledging Sonic's birthday in-story for Generations.

Exactly. If it were any other actress she would still sound like Minnie. If Cindy gets told by the voice director to sound like Minnie what do you want her to do?

I find that Knuckles' voice is a lot better and more natural than in Free Riders and Generations honestly. It's a little difference, but I think he sounds a lot better.

I honestly think Amy is fine. She's not the best (I honestly kinda prefer Lisa Ortiz as Amy), but she's not bad either in my opinion. At least in this game her voice isn't hitting high notes that not even a Dog would be able to hear.

Most of the other characters don't really sound their age (particularly Vector) so I can't really buy the "they're meant to sound like their age" and just think that it's just pretty mediocre voice acting/directing for Amy.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 2

Exactly. If it were any other actress she would still sound like Minnie. If Cindy gets told by the voice director to sound like Minnie what do you want her to do?

And you know what; taking into account the interview with Ken Pontac about Iizuka granting writing freedom for Lost World, I wouldn't be too surprised if like the case with Colors' and Generations' stories, it turns out that  our complaints are meant for the SEGA higher-ups themselves as opposed to the writer/VA at hand.

Heck, such was actually the case with 06's Omega VA!

Eh, Cindy's okay. Her voice may not fit, but I thought the acting was fine. That's more than I can say for other actors in the series. (06!Jason, I'm looking RIGHT at you)

So you're using the voice director to vouch for Ms. Robinson's controversial portrayal, but condemn an ENTIRE stable of VAs because "They're all just terrible actors" without even once bringing up that the direction might've been at fault? That makes sense...

So you're using the voice director to vouch for Ms. Robinson's controversial portrayal, but condemn an ENTIRE stable of VAs because "They're all just terrible actors" without even once bringing up that the direction might've been at fault? That makes sense...

The 4kids VAs always sounded terrible in every anime they did, just look at One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Cindy has already proved herself a capable actress in other stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfHiJdk-40

Eh. RCS and Higgins still give me weird vibes, Willingham sounds almost exactly like Dan Green, and Cindy's Amy is Minnie Mouse. They're alright for what they are I guess, but I'm thinking Eggman, Orbot, Cubot and the Deadly Six will be the main reasons I'll be sticking to the English actors.

Because.. if it weren't for them, I would choose the JP VAs immediately. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

The 4kids VAs always sounded terrible in every anime they did, just look at One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Cindy has already proved herself a capable actress in other stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfHiJdk-40

You realize people have opinions, and what they say and what you say are both not fact, correct? Therefore, you can't really prove anyone 'wrong' because no one is 'right'? Also, this just proves to me that SEGA's voice direction for the series is still not up to snuff for my tastes.

Edited by Dark Tomoki

None of the other characters really sound their age (particularly Vector) so I fail to see the "They're meant to sound like their age" excuse holding any water to what is pretty mediocre voice acting for Amy.

Well see, that's just it. When it comes to the games, the only real reference we've had to most of the character ages was in the Heroes' manual. Now when it comes to age, people probably weren't too concerned about it, but as time went and voice actors were swapped here and there, the inevitable fan speculation about age changes, puberty and whatnot rose and the concept of time and age in the Sonic videogames universe. At this point, I'd say it's at least held in a concern on par with the fanbase's concern for the series continuity as a whole.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but to be fair, if one can discuss stories of a blue hedgehog fighting a deranged alternate reality Theodore Roosevelt being well-constructed, serious, and gritty, then having concerns over how time works in the universe and how the characters age is rather legitimate, especially considering some of the many changes certain characters in a series as long-running as Sonic have gone through.

Now as for the "None of the other characters really sound their age" part, that is heavily up for debate unless we have any other official source pertaining to the plethora of characters' game ages aside from Heroes. Considering how long it's been since Heroes' debut, ages of characters such as Vector, Cream, Charmy, Espio, etc. are prone to change, to give the sense of time moving and them aging. Which would explain the voice changes in Generations. That coupled with SEGA's response to the negativity aimed at 4kids actors, Mike Pollock notwithstanding, highly suggest that SEGA was perceived these characters as having aged (okay maybe not in Rouge's VA's case but considering clumsy her VA history has been since Heroes and how meme-worthyingly infamous her 4Kids VA is. they probably just decided to make her "age" directly from her SA2 (and maybe Heroes) take).

And of course and some probably know, fan pressure on acknowledging the characters' age and development recieved an inevitable increase thanks to Generations' story and the Roger Craig Smith interview, and not to mention that this wouldn't even be the first era let alone game where SEGA has aimed foraging the characters noticeably. Sonic Adventure and Sonic 06 can both account for being cases where the characters' ages, bodies and personalities got tinkered with to show a change in time and age.

Now that said, while the Sonic franchise isn't deemed notable for its continuity, the two latest mainstream games, despite being on different systems did actually maintain story connection and continuity, and if the writers go 3 for 3 with Lost World and manages to tie it in with Generations and Colors, not only would that make a connected trilogy (we haven't had mainstream in-story connections for quite some time in the games), but it could also be the signal that from now on, the rest of the mainstream titles will pay respect to previous titles, finally igniting maintained official continuity in the series. Whoops! Went off on a bit of a tangent there!happy.png

Anyway, in conclusion, aside from the quality of Cindy Robinson's being a matter of opinion to begin with, it should not be disregarded, that she is voicing the character as SEGA instructs her to ala the voice director for whatever plans they have. And hey, who knows, maybe she'll get better by the middle of the game?

Edited by Jovahexeon

I still prefer Amy's previous voices, but I think she sounds okay here. *shrug*

Really, really hoping that the demo shows up outside of Japan tomorrow. I know the game's out in 19 days but I just want to give it a shot ahead of time.

I heard that if there's a chance we'll be getting the demo out of Japan, it'll be on Thursday since that's apparently when the eShop updates. 

I heard that if there's a chance we'll be getting the demo out of Japan, it'll be on Thursday since that's apparently when the eShop updates. 

Yep, the eShop updates on a Thursday in Europe and America. I know it's usually around 2 or 3pm UK time, not sure about the US though.