Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Just noticed Miiverse now has a Sonic Lost World community. Looks like it opened about an hour ago, as the first post there is timed '1 hour ago'.

I don't see much reason to release a demo in territories that are gearing up to go out and buy this in relative droves anyway, especially not when a demo comes with potential drawbacks at impacting sales due to middling first impressions, sales that are already probably going to be impacted by the poor sales performance of the console it's on. As much as has been shown and outright leaked, and how much this game has been hyped, I don't know why you would need a demo to solidify your purchasing decision, especially when we're approaching release very rapidly.

Personally I just want to see how the game controls. It's been bugging me ever since E3 and opinions can only assure a person so much about this kinda stuff. I'd like to at least play the game to put those thoughts to ease, and perhaps even play it to waste time until the full game comes out in NA.

Also, demos can also do good to a game. Playing the demo of Rayman Legends was got me hooked on the game, and was what ultimately made my buy it. On the flipside, as much as everyone is saying Pikmin 3 is amazing, I refuse to buy it until I can at least try it for myself once since I've never played that kind of game.

Do we do cutscenes here? Oh well, I'll spoiler it anyway. I don't know if it has been mentioned already though.

In the cutscene before Windy Hill Zone 4, Sonic calls Eggman Baldy McNosehair.

Oh well. Same writers. Can't expect them to not use that.

SLW now avaible in EU for Wii U/3DS

https://twitter.com/TiLMEN/status/390962544002609152/photo/1

I think he's confused. As that pic shows and as looking at the eShop now shows, it's only available to add to your watch list. It's not available to purchase yet.

EDIT:

Never mind. I translated the word 'Gekauft' and it's German for 'Bought'. Guess it's out in Germany, but not here in the UK, since it's another 32 mins until it's midnight here.

To everyone who got the game, have fun! smile.png

I'll just wait here for another two weeks.

Poor America. ):

If it's any consolation America usually gets everything before Europe. xD

• Thumbs Up 3

45% for me. (3DS)

Please tell if supersonic is in that version playable in regular stages that is if you can beat those frustrating special stages.

12 more loooooooong days left,

Edit: Now it's 11 more Loooooooooong days left

but seriously guys have fun playing the game

Edited by jordine
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've been playing Sonic Lost World (Wii U version) for about an hour. I played through the entirety of Windy Hill. I'm letting my gamepad charge up at the moment. I might as well share my thoughts on the game so far.

I'm actually really impressed. I like it a lot more than I expected to. I haven't had this much fun with a Sonic game since Sonic Unleashed HD almost five years ago. It flows really well so far. The parkour works nicely. I found the controls to be easy to get to grips with, although the wisps are poorly implemented. The game feels entirely based around exploration rather than just getting to the goal. Windy Hill Zone 3 has so many paths to take. I spend a good 10-15 minutes exploring that stage. It just all feels really good. All the low scores the game got made me think it was going to be a disaster, but so far I can't understand them. However I am early in the game. It could all go downhill, but so far I'm having a blast.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I'm kinda burned out with the Sega forums right now. It's amazing how people want a game of their favorite franchise to fail just because it draws inspiration from another franchise (that some of them hate I guess), and because it's on a platform they don't like.

Anyways, I'm really disappointed over this. I mean, I'm watching gameplay footage and it seems pretty sweet. I'm reading Jim Sterling's review and it seems rather positive. But other people, unlike Jim, seem to just get rid of the Sonic game they're reviewing ASAP without trying to learn it. Especially the general butthurts, Polygon, GameInformer etc. But I'm quite surprised at IGN now as well.

Still, many of them do have a point - while the gameplay style is radically different than the Boost formula games and even the games before that, Sonic Team do repeat their mistakes quite annoyingly. After a great success like Generations, and especially after such terrible receptions like 06 and Unleashed, They should have known. They should have known better than to put instances where a player has to make split-second reaction using the Parkour, a brand new move. They shouldn't have put so many places where you can be crashed to your death. They shouldn't have worked on so many autorun sequences or 2D stages, and make more free roaming 3D stages instead. They shouldn't have used so many gimmicks all over the game.

Also, watching gameplay footage, the walking speed brake seems completely redundant now. Sonic should've had accelerating speed up to his running speed by default, with the R trigger only enabling his Parkour abilities (which would otherwise be disabled). The walking speed only serves the purpose of jumping on a few tiny block platforms, in which case they shouldn't have changed the movement of Sonic to go about these platforms successfully - they should've just taken them out (again, like Generations).

Um... Any chance of non-sonic fans running a possible meme here?

I know the game isn't even bordering terribleness like 06 is, but going by IGN's review, you'd be surprised how many non-sonic fans might pick up on that meme. [And if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about, don't ask. I don't want to give people ideas]

As for gameplay and reviews, I've read IGN's, CVG's, and ONM's, and started watching the gameplay on Cobanermani456's channel. I'm liking what I'm seeing, and plan on getting the 3DS version as soon as [WiiU at Christmas].

From having played for an hour or so I thought I would add my two cents, having seen the review scores and also playing the game at Summer of Sonic and seeing peoples reactions being very mixed I am not generally surprised. This game is going to divide opinion, people are going to love it or hate it. Personally I like it so far, the levels are colourful and wide and once you get to grips to the controls it pretty easy to get around, I don't like parkour system, but that's me. Not a bad game but I think a lot of people had high expectations and been left disappointed, but it could be worse, it could be like Sonic 06 again!! (Shutters)

I might take a little break from the SEGA forums. Everyone there are just being so dickish.

Pop back in at around two months from now. Most of it should subside by then.

I've gotten a lot of flak over the past few months because I was really apprehensive about the game early on. I guess it's no surprise, but I just want to make a few things clear to the lot of you. I have no issues with Lost World's gameplay at its core. I never did and I never intended to imply anything of the sort.

One thing I do think is that the parkour system would benefit a lot more if it were in a more organic and less purposefully blocky environment. I look at gameplay footage and it seems that Sonic Team went out of their way to make just about every surface in the game unnaturally flat and jagged in order to emphasize the freedom and importance of the parkour mechanic. A "Hey, you can do this everywhere!" sort of thing.

It's rather jarring and if the impressions of those like JezMM and Blue Blood can be trusted (which I'm sure they can), then it doesn't work entirely as intended. Possibly due to a lack of polish. From what I can tell, it's more or less just like Unleashed back in 2008. A flawed, but generally enjoyable experience with a lot of potential.

If things are anything like Unleashed, a few years from now we'll have a really polished experience with this game as its base like Generations. Just.. get rid of the Wisps. It'd be a really good start.

I'm not making any comments on the story because it's generally unimportant to me in comparison to gameplay and it's still not really substantial enough for me to go into detail.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

The blocky envioronments are a big deal for me.  I don't care about exploring with my parkour abilities because what am I going to get for it.  A view of some more blocks, amazing.

I have never appreciated the breathtaking organically designed visuals of the last three games more than I have now.

• Thumbs Up 1

So. I was adamant. I would not buy anything off the eShop until Nintendo make unified accounts.

Guess what?

I just broke that for Lost World on 3DS.

Am I glad I did? Let's see.

Playing through Windy Hill gave me a good sense of the controls. I sort of got the basics of playing and have been enjoying it. I've got through to Desert Ruins and played that. I'm at the boss of Tropical Resort, and have enjoyed playing through all the levels. Now, I'm no completionist, so it's very unlikely I'll ever go after all the Red Star Rings, but of what I have played, it is very enjoyable. A few niggles here and there, mostly with the homing attack not locking on when I need it to, but other than that, it is a good game. Played a bt of the Time Attack mode and ranked 48 and 10 respectively on the first two Windy Hill zones. Played through a Special Stage, which was a nightmare. I don't think my gyroscope is configured properly, but even so. they are not something you want to be playing on the train or bus home.

So yes, I am glad I broke eShop boycott to get it. However, I probably won't be buying anything else from the eShop anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.