Carbo

Sonic Lost World Announced

Thaaat one cutscene also shows him flying. How come he doesn't fly in gameplay too? :v 

Generations did it. And it was awesome. In theory.

Then someone in Sonic Team figured the thing you get for beating the game (and thus can't even help you complete said game in any way) should be nerfed, and made the Ring loss faster. In a game that had noticeably less Rings to collect compared to Unleashed and Colours. Brilliant.

Generations did it. And it was awesome. In theory.

Then someone in Sonic Team figured the thing you get for beating the game (and thus can't even help you complete said game in any way) should be nerfed, and made the Ring loss faster. In a game that had noticeably less Rings to collect compared to Unleashed and Colours. Brilliant.

oh man. I unlocked Super Sonic with a room full of people in college. I pressed X. "OMG IS THIS ***** FLYING??!" Most hyped...5 seconds ever.

God why does Sonic Team make so many dumb decisions like this?

So if the VGChartz figure is anywhere close to accurate, then the game sold somewhere in the ballpark of 45-50k across both platforms, which is...better, I guess.

Also the European chart from them has SLW Wii U rank so low that's it's probably below 5k, saying as the last figure visible without a pro account is leaps ahead at a whopping 6.5k.

Yeah, if any of this is close, it's sad 

So if the VGChartz figure is anywhere close to accurate, then the game sold somewhere in the ballpark of 45-50k across both platforms, which is...better, I guess.

Also the European chart from them has SLW Wii U rank so low that's it's probably below 5k, saying as the last figure visible without a pro account is leaps ahead at a whopping 6.5k.

Yeah, if any of this is close, it's sad

I am definitely glad that VGChartz is unreliable. This game sounds like it sold bad, but I don't think it's quite THAT bad... when we consider Transformed sold 1 million copies, it really looks very sad, as it shows Sonic can still land lots of sales in the modern era (rather than suffering from a perpetual decline from Genesis-era sales).

As Transformed was multiplatform, however, that has me pondering how that could influence their marketing decisions. While it saves money to go with only one or two platforms instead of all of them, does it save enough to make up for the huge cut in customers?

Edited by Ogilvie

Jeez, does the boosting sound effect (more specifically, the very beginning of the boost SFX looped over and over again) play the entire time in the 3DS version's mach speed areas?? That's really annoying.

Also I find it funny how the best way to farm lives in both versions is in a level with that exact music. tongue.png

RE: insta-death obstacles. I didn't really see the point in them, hope it isn't a recurring thing. I do kind of like that they brought back death by being crushed, though.

Edited by ElementofChaos

This game sounds like it sold bad, but I don't think it's quite THAT bad...

You guys are right. It didn't sell that bad... it sold considerably worse.

30,000 units accross both the 3DS and Wii U version. This is for N/A so you have the EU versions to add on top of that. Though considering the estimations on the EU, we're not looking at 40k+ at all.

http://nintendoeverything.com/october-2013-npd-sonic-lost-world-sells-under-30000-copies-on-wii-u3ds-in-first-week/

Information is correct to November 2nd.

It's based on 3 days less than a week of sales.

Sonic Racing sold considerably well. I expect Lost World to get long term sales + a boost during the holiday. A lot of people are waiting to spend their money on Black Friday and Christmas. There's also the poor Wii U sales that will be definitely getting a boost in the future.

A lot of people are thinking Sonic is doomed, but it's way too early to call. I would at least wait for a month or two of data before projecting anything.

Oh, and digital downloads.

"But Generations sold 150k and Colors sold a bunch!"

Well one is the most hyped up Sonic title ever on an install base of 150m+ and the other was a really good exclusive that sold on one of the best selling platforms of all time. Both the Wii U and 3DS versions of Lost World have been smashed by critics so this may have reduced sales.

Edited by Autosaver

Wii U game sells poorly! In other news, Mario saves Princess Peach!

Yeah, poor sales aren't really a shocker. I am surprised to see the 3DS version doing relatively poorly, but the Wii U version should surprise nobody. It was a different and kind of controversial game from the start, so being on failing a failing system on top of that just meant it was a recipe for poor sales. We're also looking at sales figures over a measly 5 days. It doesn't give much of an indication about things.

I agree that we shouldn't worry too much about sales until after Christmas, but I wonder if sales of the 3DS version did after all suffer due to the proximity of the game's release to Pokemon X and Y - which was likely the reason the game was delayed in North America.

Gotta be honest, though - if I was slightly less of a Sonic fan than I am, I don't think I'd have bought it either.