Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Super Meat Boy's a different beast than Fancy Pants though.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a hilarious sentence.

• Thumbs Up 6

Unless you've set it so you receive all updates from their page, Facebook will neglect showing you all their updates.
Well I do so there you go.

Just because they can put something in doesn't mean they should.  That's common sense.

I can pretty much guarantee, short of a miracle, that shoehorning Shadow, Rouge, Omega, or other "serious" characters into this game would make it nothing but worse.

Those characters can easily be humorous, as they have been plenty of times.

And, seriously, Rouge?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is so uncalled for!

Ok, listen.

First comes a concept of a game.

Then there is supposed to be some kind of a story

And then they decide who will appear in said story and why.

That's what friggin' writers do! They WRITE. And they can include ANYONE and they can come up with a reason for a character to appear especially if that character is not even playable.

I hope that's clear now.

All you're saying is that they are able to shove anyone into anything. And that's true, but that isn't always good.

The story, if it's any good, doesn't exist separate from the characters. The characters help create the story. You can insert a character later on, and a good writer can usually work them in well, but it's a sloppy practice that on average is going to do more harm than good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well thats all true and whatnot (hence why Colors DS and Generations were just blegh with that), but I feel like the jokier characters are the ones that are easier to implement. Do you know how awesome it would be to run into the Chaotix, Big, Prof Pickle, or Wentos just going around the planet for their own weird reasons? tongue.png

I can agree that one-off humour scenes can be great, though even greater would be if they STILL manage to be plot relevant despite their own silly personal reasons for being around!

Just as long as it isn't something cheap, like the missing arm in Sonic Colours ALONE causing the entire downfall of Eggman's plan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok.  So they will need to make a background and foreground.  I heard that in game dev art design is the quickest thing to do.  But I've been wrong before so don't quote me on that.

Well I was gonna respond to Marcl and Nepenthe's points, but everyone else already did that for me so now I feel like I'd be redundant.

So, I'll just say that I understand that fans aren't required to come up with details for the plot, but that's why its called "speculation" we're coming up with our own details and theories and thinking what the story could possibly be about. If adding characters is apart of said speculation, then I'd like a more articulate reason than "Because I want them" to spark some discussion.

Ok.  So they will need to make a background and foreground.  I heard that in game dev art design is the quickest thing to do.  But I've been wrong before so don't quote me on that.

Yyyyyeah, I would not, in any way, agree with that.

Ok. So they will need to make a background and foreground. I heard that in game dev art design is the quickest thing to do. But I've been wrong before so don't quote me on that.

I wouldn't be quick to assume that in-game art is the fastest thing to do, especially now that graphical capabilities have increased significantly as have standards. Regardless, I wasn't only discussing the art; SMB is such a wholly different game in terms of control, design, and intention that it justifies its price in its own ways. Frankly, I feel the Fancy Pants games are just nice little physical exercises within a fairly aimless game design; tried the first and got bored out of my mind fairly quickly.

I wouldn't be quick to assume that in-game art is the fastest thing to do, especially now that graphical capabilities have increased significantly as have standards. Regardless, I wasn't only discussing the art; SMB is such a wholly different game in terms of control, design, and intention that it justifies its price in its own ways. Frankly, I feel the Fancy Pants games are just nice little physical exercises within a fairly aimless game design; tried the first and got bored out of my mind fairly quickly.

... I guess.  I was just trying to find a game that was similar to what he was talking about.  He said he only wants good gameplay and good level design (if you can call SMB good level design and not £$%^ you the level), and Super Meat Boy was all that came to my head at the time.

Buh, so no news about SLW then. Guess I'll have to wait it out till...Tuesday next week!?

tumblr_m7zpg3dKuT1rn27hxo1_500.gif

Woun said that there will be info in the next famitsu, wich will be available..in 2 days, the 23rd! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I was gonna respond to Marcl and Nepenthe's points, but everyone else already did that for me so now I feel like I'd be redundant.

So, I'll just say that I understand that fans aren't required to come up with details for the plot, but that's why its called "speculation" we're coming up with our own details and theories and thinking what the story could possibly be about. If adding characters is apart of said speculation, then I'd like a more articulate reason than "Because I want them" to spark some discussion.

It's not speculation to say, "I want my favorite character in this game." It's merely stating a desire, which you can certainly prod for underlying reasoning, but you're not owed excessive objective justification for that desire. Why? Because there's nothing to base it on but opinionated preferences towards one's favorite character, and this becomes especially obvious in contexts where specific games are irrelevant, e.g., "I want character to appear in the future." Praytell how does anyone justify a character existing in a story that hasn't been conceived of yet???

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not speculation to say, "I want my favorite character in this game." It's merely stating a desire, which you can certainly prod for underlying reasoning, but you're not owed excessive objective justification for that desire. Why? Because there's nothing to base it on but opinionated preferences towards one's favorite character, and this becomes especially obvious in contexts where specific games are irrelevant, e.g., "I want character to appear in the future." Praytell how does anyone justify a character existing in a story that hasn't been conceived of yet???

The prodding part was basically what I was getting at. I just want people to articulate themselves, not give me and entire plot summary.

@ Azure: Again, story has very little to do with the inherent issue, that being people want to see their favorite characters again because they like them. I've already explained that narrative justification for their inclusion is already inherent in most characters' personification, and speculation on the story is potentially so wide-reaching as to become meaningless. We know nothing about Lost World, so we can conjure up nearly anything to make a case for or against any character, which I'd argue isn't productive.

Just because they can put something in doesn't mean they should.  That's common sense.

I can pretty much guarantee, short of a miracle, that shoehorning Shadow, Rouge, Omega, or other "serious" characters into this game would make it nothing but worse.

Shoehorning ANYTHING would make it worse. That's common sense as well. But puting something with care would only improve the experience.

You do realize that writers are generally just building upon set pieces and a background/story that the developers decide upon, right? Things like cutscenes and making a narrative are the last things usually made for a game well after the entire game itself has been done. If the developers threw in a side character into actual game play, it's the writer's job to make sense of that. If a character's purpose is only to be in a cutscene though, that's something you can pin down a writer for making up. Introducing a character for the latter out of random more often than not results in them becoming nothing but plot devices, and that ultimately makes a character pointless.

In other words, for games like Generations, the writers are given bad material to work with because the entire role the character's serve is to be a cameo.

Different games - differend order of what comes first. And Sonic games can be different as well. If the so-called story was built around the concept or gameplay (which I think is the case) then yeah, writers have little influence, but if writers write a story around the idea of the game, then Sonicteam would start making the game along with cutscenes which would use writers' scripts...Yeah, then it'd be so much better and that way you can include anything you want. Even if something appears later than the finished script, you can always add something or edit until the game is finished.

Woun said that there will be info in the next famitsu, wich will be available..in 2 days, the 23rd! biggrin.png

Earlier! Possibly in about 24 hours, around night time EST. Famitsu typically leaks on Tuesday nights EST.

However, the regular leaker from the last long while retired two weeks ago, instead another site got the issue Wednesday morning EST.

Hopefully someone in Japan here who has a subscription will provide info ASAP.

Different games - differend order of what comes first. And Sonic games can be different as well. If the so-called story was built around the concept or gameplay (which I think is the case) then yeah, writers have little influence, but if writers write a story around the idea of the game, then Sonicteam would start making the game along with cutscenes which would use writers' scripts...Yeah, then it'd be so much better and that way you can include anything you want. Even if something appears later than the finished script, you can always add something or edit until the game is finished.

Do you honestly believe that Sonic Team are going to put narrative above gameplay?

Do you honestly believe that Sonic Team are going to put narrative above gameplay?

Sadly, no. But they sure should give it much more than in latest two games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have only realized something.  John Cheng said that Lost World "Will not be a reiteration, it's going to be all new."  Reiteration is to confirm something.  "It's not a 'confirmation', it's going to be all new."  

THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Woun said that there will be info in the next famitsu, wich will be available..in 2 days, the 23rd! :D
Need gameplay or my interest level will not increase.

I have only realized something.  John Cheng said that Lost World "Will not be a reiteration, it's going to be all new."  Reiteration is to confirm something.  "It's not a 'confirmation', it's going to be all new."  

THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

In context, he's basically saying that it (likely, anyway) won't share the same gameplay format as the previous games.

In context, he's basically saying that it (likely, anyway) won't share the same gameplay format as the previous games.

I certainly hope that's what it means.  Otherwise our lovely John Cheng, bless his name, needs to learn some grammer.