Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Going back a few pages here...

I'd like to see a new vocal artist introduced. Give the game a fresh feel.

Re: Opening cut-scenes

Generations was fine because it invoked the classics and the gameplay itself was the status quo establishment.  The real story begins in the cut-scene after.

Sonic Colours did it badly.because you're thrown in with no idea what is going on, and then they make you do TWO acts for an explaination... I legitimately thought something was wrong with the game and it had skipped the intro once Act 2 loaded up!  And then they just have a flashback immediately as to how they got there, basically proving "we just started with gameplay for the sake of starting with gameplay".

What I would have done, is had that opening CGI cut-scene, it's what, 30 seconds?  Have the level loaded in the background already, then when the elevator arrives at the top, we immediately switch to in-game graphics Sonic busts out of the elevator, "let's check this place out then!", the act title card appears, and we're off.

Whole thing woulda been like 30-40 seconds, not an unreasonable amount of time but still stages the game nicely, making the player go "that was cool" when the gameplay starts as oppose to "Oh, what, okay" when the gameplay starts.

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually I disagree. I like the fact that it throws you into the game as soon as you start. I personally am the kind of person that likes to jump right into a game, and having to wait for a cutscene (or worse a series of cutscenes) before I'm even allowed to do anything is something I personally find a little frustrating. I find a great sense of satisfaction in being able to actually play the game before anything else happens. I also personally like the ambiguity when you're just thrown into a new situation with no clue what's going on.

• Thumbs Up 3

It really depends on the game, and for Colours I think it was done all wrong. The story involved Sonic and Tails going up into space and meeting these alien characters. Colours DS actually started with the space elevator cutscene, and then had an equivalent of the first Wii cutscene after the first act. It really, really bothered me that you were introduced to the Wisps in Colours Wii's gameplay before the story. Tails tells you what they are and what they do before he's even met them. Yes I know it's story-gameplay segregation, but it really did not work. An opening cutscenes it pretty much always the best way to go in my opinion. Generations was fine though.

Lost World really ought to open up with something. What is this Lost World, how did they find out about it and how did they get there? It's got to be either a cutscene, or a narrative bit of gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 3

They could do both you know; Sonic & Tails set foot on the lost world, comment on its surroundings a bit and then cut to the first level of the game. Quick and to the point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I really liked that Colors threw you right into the gameplay. Yeah it was a little weird for Sonic to use white Wisps before the Wisps were even introduced, but what better way to introduce the game than with...the game?

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly I really liked that Colors threw you right into the gameplay. Yeah it was a little weird for Sonic to use white Wisps before the Wisps were even introduced, but what better way to introduce the game than with...the game?

With a cutscene, the same way Cyan Wisps were introduced two levels later. Alternatively they could have taken the DS approach and not have any Wisps available until after the first act.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's not a logo. It's just the placeholder text on the Japanese site.

Yeah, there's no way they would use such a plain logo. ;P

Wait. Colours had an intro?

*googles.........*

Uh do you mean when you finish the first level, you go into a short cutscene where EZIO Sonic cracks a few bad jokes then jumps into the next level?

Apparently they were referring to the cgi intro before the game starts. which in my opinion isnt better than the unleashed intro.

Sonic Colors' intro was fine because it wasn't really trying to be epic, more so it was just basically hitting the major keynotes of the plot  and gameplay while showing them as flashily as possible, that sequence when sSonic uses all the power-ups is still great.

But it still leaves you wanting to know what happens next when it looks like Sonic jumps head first at Eggman and PUNCHES him, although nothing in the story leads you to that conclusion in the story, it's like a huge cock tease.

But it still leaves you wanting to know what happens next when it looks like Sonic jumps head first at Eggman and PUNCHES him, although nothing in the story leads you to that conclusion in the story, it's like a huge cock tease.

Really? It's not even pretending to have any plot relevance. It's an intro for the sake of having one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Colors' intro was fine because it wasn't really trying to be epic

And for a CG intro being epic is wrong because? ( - asks Sonic Unleashed)

Edited by ArtFenix

He never said it was wrong. He just said it wasn't trying to be epic.

Go back and read that sentence again and find the exact words where I said it was wrong. Unleashed had a epic intro while Colors had something different and that was fine.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I imagine that they'll just have sonic and tails on the tornado flying to the lost world
Who thinks this game should introduce a new character?
I say yes

Not sure if you guys want to keep talking about Cgi cutscenes.

Edited by jordine

It doesn't really matter to me either way, but a new character would be interesting,

I think a new character would be nice actually.  As awkward as it may seem.  I'm okay with having characters that show only for 1 game and be gone the next.  I know a lot of you want the original characters to be fleshed out and have a back story and what-not.  But at the end of the day.  It's a story with a blue humanoid hedgehog who can run faster then the speed of sound and a 2 tailed fox who knows a lot about technology.  The main target audience is for kids and I know when I was younger I didn't care whether a character was a one off or not.

Other than the air system, which unforuntatley is what the entire game is built around.

And the dumb story...

And the wonkey controls...

And Super Sonic sucking hard.

NiGHTS was playable.  11/10.

And you guys want ANOTHER fucking one-off?  GOD, people.  Sonic's going to have more useless characters than Pokémon if this keeps up.

Edited by Game & Wario

NiGHTS was playable.  11/10.

And you guys want ANOTHER fucking one-off?  GOD, people.  Sonic's going to have more useless characters than Pokémon if this keeps up.

If its a one off, why do you care?

If its a one off, why do you care?

Because what's the point of bringing in character that we're never going to see again?  ESPECIALLY since it's happened in practically every game since Sonic Adventure.

I'd like a game about characters that we know, and where we learn something new about characters that we already know, and where we know that any development made isn't going to be immediately made null with a "BYE NEVER GOING TO SEE YOU AGAIN" ending.  I mean I love Merlina and Sharha as much as the next guy, but I don't think every single game needs to have a one-off.

• Thumbs Up 3

Go back and read that sentence again and find the exact words where I said it was wrong.

Sonic Colors' intro was fine because it wasn't really trying to be epic

So going by your own logic, if it indeed WAS trying to be epic, then it would not have been fine. If that's not a try to make Sonic Colors simplistic intro somewhat better (than the one in Unleashed) then I must have really missed something in that sentence.

Edited by ArtFenix