Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

It's about balance. One-offs are fine, but it would be a nice change of pace at this point to either have one stay and/or for old characters to return in a significant way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whether one-off or recurring, who appears is a little less important in the long run to me compared to what they do in the story. I didn't have much of a problem with Colors' old-school casting, because at least the characterization and interaction was interesting enough to retain my attention in the cut scenes. But Generations had no new characters either, and it was a complete washout anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not saying I don't want old characters to return, but I never really minded one offs as much as people do. They're one offs, if they're not going to come back again, there's no reason to get upset over their presence. I only hate them when they suck, and the majority of them have sucked.

I also don't get how people assuming that the old characters coming back is some magic fix button. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If they can bring back Silver, even when he didn't have that much of a following to begin with, and his intro game was shite, and it makes no sense because his "future" should have been fixed so he wouldnt have a reason to pop back into Sonic's time AND he wouldn't have ever met Sonic. Then let's face it, they could bring back anyone >.<

Plus they brought a certain black hedgehog back from the dead for no real reason other than people liked him in Adventure 2...them pretending they need a reason to bring back characters is rather moot after what they pulled with those two don't ya think?

It's just an honest difference in opinion.  I'd rather see our current characters used more, and you'd rather have more variety.

To be fair, the way the games have been lately, I'd say that using the characters we have now would be more variety.

• Thumbs Up 2

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think SEGA saw the flaws of Microsoft's 'new' console and so elected this easy way out?

Since the WiiU is next-gen anyway, I think SEGA decided to do the decent thing.

I also don't get how people assuming that the old characters coming back is some magic fix button.

I don't think its a fix button, but wouldn't it be neat to see a character that oh I dunno hasn't been around for the last 17 years suddenly pop up again. Especially if the reintroduction was well written and implemented?

Not only would it be great fan service wise, but it would in essence be new in a round-a-bout sorta way, having not been used for ages, and it would surprise people. Plus at the same time using characters that they already have sitting around to a better extent, which people have asked for over the introduction of new ones when they don't even use the current ones well enough according to a lot of people.

If done well it could be rather positive right?

• Thumbs Up 1

If they can bring back Silver, even when he didn't have that much of a following to begin with, and his intro game was shite, and it makes no sense because his "future" should have been fixed so he wouldnt have a reason to pop back into Sonic's time AND he wouldn't have ever met Sonic.

To be honest, I always thought Silver being from the future should be retconned to Silver being from Blaze's demension. It makes things a lot less complicated and confusing and plus it would make it easier to work him into a storyline.

Edited by Johnny Boy

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think SEGA saw the flaws of Microsoft's 'new' console and so elected this easy way out?

Since the WiiU is next-gen anyway, I think SEGA decided to do the decent thing.

It's probably just because Nintendo and Sonic go together like peanut butter and waffles, as sales indicate.

As far as characters being one-shot goes, if you're gonna bring them back at some ambiguous moment after a few games, go right on ahead...they'll just not be one-shots anymore.

If you're going to make a character for one game and then never use them again? Yeah, don't do that too often (I'd actually rather they not do that at all at this point unless they're gonna do the above, I've said once before I hate one-shots because people don't often remember them as much as they would if they were more recurring)

I'm a fan of reusing material for new things when you have enough of it, and that includes characters....so yeah. That's my 2 cents. XP

It would be enough for me to have Just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles , Amy (playables) and Eggman featured in the story, only if they are well characterized. I'd like to have some new  decent characters (at least a couple of them having important roles), and having folks like Shadow and Metal Sonic in multiplayer

I'd really like Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (in my dreams) to be playable, with skins available for each to let you play as other, similar characters (you guys could play as Shadow and I wouldn't be able to bitch about it!).

Of course, the chances of that happening are about as likely as this game winning GOTY.

If I did it then I'd have characters joining in a party system, where you can choose to play as whatever character is currently with you in the story to give some choice and variety (as well as re-playability), along with multiple (potentially unlockable) characters for the "trial" and multi-player modes.

Yeah I'm with you guys on that. I would be happy with just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (for the girls that complain about all dude character games) as playable. Eggman and Metal as the baddies. Smaller cast, easier to concentrate on and write for. With the others for party games or multiplayer or challenge modes, time attack or something.

Tho I still would like to see another recurring baddie, Eggman and Metal are great but it would be interesting to see another active villan. And no monsters of the week don't count, was pretty cool with Chaos and he linked to the emeralds and all. Fitted with the Sonic story. But the others were kinda lame personally and it got old fast.

Yeah I'm with you guys on that. I would be happy with just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (for the girls that complain about all dude character games) as playable. Eggman and Metal as the baddies. Smaller cast, easier to concentrate on and write for.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Although Knuckles and Amy may not appear, as with every other game with Eggman in it Metal Sonic has no reason not to.  Of course, given Sonic Team's PREVIOUS Metal-related records, I'm not counting on it, but they seem to have taken a shine to him of late, so we may very well see him alongside his glorious creator for their first 3D appearance together.

Also, I want to see interaction between Orbot, Cubot, and Metal.  There is NOTHING bad that can come of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think its a fix button, but wouldn't it be neat to see a character that oh I dunno hasn't been around for the last 17 years suddenly pop up again. Especially if the reintroduction was well written and implemented?

Not only would it be great fan service wise, but it would in essence be new in a round-a-bout sorta way, having not been used for ages, and it would surprise people. Plus at the same time using characters that they already have sitting around to a better extent, which people have asked for over the introduction of new ones when they don't even use the current ones well enough according to a lot of people.

If done well it could be rather positive right?

But that's not the point I was making. Old characters coming back isn't some magical way to make a well written character. All of the characters came back in Generations and they still sucked balls proving that whether they come back or not is irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Other playable characters would be nice but honestly I wouldn't even care if it's just Sonic again, he's the best character anyway. As long as the gameplay is interesting and we get some nice slopey level designs with no boost, I'll be happy.

Other playable characters would be nice but honestly I wouldn't even care if it's just Sonic again, he's the best character anyway. As long as the gameplay is interesting and we get some nice slopey level designs with no boost, I'll be happy.

That's really what it boils down to. They could scrap everything else and only keep Sonic and it would still be a Sonic game. It's Sonic the Hedgehog. Not Sonic & Friends. Sure fans of the other characters would be upset. But at the end of the day he is the main character. If your playing a Sonic game and saying "screw this I don't wanna play as Sonic" then there is something very wrong. That is what they have been trying to fix. Making Sonic himself enjoyable to play with and ironing out all the problems. Which was a good idea and with the games and scores of said games on the rise I would say it paid off for them.

If by best you mean BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING

It's Sonic the Hedgehog. Not Sonic & Friends.

This is the worst argument ever.

"It's called Mario Party not Mario Luigi Wario Waluigi Peach Daisy DK Toad Bowser Jr. Birdo Party, GOOOOOOD"

• Thumbs Up 5

You know what I mean smarty pants >.<

Sonic is the only character that they can't take away, or else it wouldn't be "Sonic the Hedgehog" anymore now would it?

• Thumbs Up 1

If by best you mean BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING

This is the worst argument ever.

"It's called Mario Party not Mario Luigi Wario Waluigi Peach Daisy DK Toad Bowser Jr. Birdo Party, GOOOOOOD"

I love how you used a game that's built specifically for multiplayer as an example. It's almost like the game is meant for a group of people... at a party. HMMMM! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how you used a game that's built specifically for multiplayer as an example. It's almost like the game is meant for a group of people... at a party. HMMMM! tongue.png

FINE, SISSY SALLY

"This is called SONIC Heroes, not SONIC TAILS KNUCKLES AMY BIG CREAM SHADOW ROUGE OMEGA VECTOR ESPIO CHARMY Heroes!"

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah I'm with you guys on that. I would be happy with just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (for the girls that complain about all dude character games) as playable. Eggman and Metal as the baddies. Smaller cast, easier to concentrate on and write for. With the others for party games or multiplayer or challenge modes, time attack or something.

Tho I still would like to see another recurring baddie, Eggman and Metal are great but it would be interesting to see another active villan. And no monsters of the week don't count, was pretty cool with Chaos and he linked to the emeralds and all. Fitted with the Sonic story. But the others were kinda lame personally and it got old fast.

I would also go with that kind of cast myself, though I would not mind if Knuckles, Amy or Metal Sonic were not in this game (though Metal is my favorite character in the series alongside Sonic). I am not sure if there will be a new bad guy in this game, but I would say that as long as Eggman does not get "overthrown", I am okay. Also, I would like to see Orbot and Cubot return as well. As for the guardians, I do think they will be one-shots, but you never know if they will appear in later games.

FINE, SISSY SALLY

"This is called SONIC Heroes, not SONIC TAILS KNUCKLES AMY BIG CREAM SHADOW ROUGE OMEGA VECTOR ESPIO CHARMY Heroes!"

But Heroes is a bad ga- Touche! I accept defeat. By the way I would love to play as Tails or Knuckles, I just won't be that disappoined if I can't.

Just give Sonic the most varied and flexible gameplay by giving him unique abilities and something like the shields from Sonic3, gimmicks that only he can use, and give Knuckles and Tails specific strong abilities that can make the experience a little less challenging and varied than Sonic, but still something very well worth to try