Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

You can't even tell, they're sillouhettes.

That is obviously the girl's "hair" or equivelant, with her head only taking up space near the top.

Or are you going to assume she only has one arm as well because we can't see two?

Look at the hips and legs. Dude, it's a girl for sure.

Here are the colours of the guardians if anybody needs it.

8chFx1z.jpg

The second right one reminds me of the Gorons from Zelda

Edited by Animatedmusic

You have GOT to be kidding me!

Alright, I will stop now. You may as well do as you please. Continue defending everything SEGA shoves at you under the brand "Sonic the hedgehog" because soon it will have little to do with what it used to be and you will finally get your precious Sonic that looks like your dear saturday morning cartoon.  ...or maybe one day Sonic himself will get a redesign and will be added to the pokedex because there he will finally be where he belongs.

Have a nice day!

You sound just like me back when I was still having a fit over Unleashed and Colors several weeks back. And besides, Sonic has kind of always had a Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe from him even in his more serious story and atmosphere attempts. Also, what's wrong with Saturday Morning Cartoons anyways? D:<

*Sees logo on tornado's tail..* YES. That is a nice logo, right there. I was getting fed up having that Tails logo, it always seemed too pretentious to me...

The only one I'm really sure about is King Bowslim being the volcano guardian due to the mostly red colours. I'd go with Fin-Thighs being the water guardian, but then I remember Sir Sealife on the right there.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I

Why do we always shove this series into a limited box compared to every other series out there?

Its because everybody has their own personal view on what the series should be, and anything that doesn't meet those standards is deemed terrible by default. Its basically people's bias getting the better of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Has this piece of art been posted yet?

Sonic-and-Tailes.png

(source)

Jango has it in his sig, but I think it's the first I've seen of it at such a high res.

Wow this is pretty great. Still have a personal preference for the blue Tornado from SA1 but this is still pretty fine looking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but the fact they're using a prettied up 4:2 design of the Tornado instead of the Unleashed design (that also appeared in the one Generations mission with Tails, just prior to 4:2) is pretty encouraging about how much more of the 'classic' style they're trying to merge with the Modern style!

Totally agree. It's not really any different to how they updated the Badnik designs for Colours and Generations (especially when you consider how badly they were done in both S4 episodes). Comparison shot:

tornadocomparehigres.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know about you guys, but I can kinda see lizard qualities in some of these, the "girl" has a curly tail and a horn for example... Who else has one of those? espio!

Also lizards are fairly wierd anyway so they could potentially exaggerate the features a little.

So we get new characters and people liken it as franchise rip-off. Glad to see that some things stay the same.

• Thumbs Up 7

Here are the colours of the guardians if anybody needs it.

8chFx1z.jpg

The second right one reminds me of the Gorons from Zelda

That picture looks really good.

The second one from the left kind of reminds me of Mushu from the film, Mulan.

__Mulan____Mushu_by_Anais07.jpg

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

Smoochum, Pokémon.  Waluigi, Super Mario Bros.  Armaggon, Ninja Turtles.

fucking next.

Smoochum have a nice balance of sizes of her head and her torso.

Waluigi is not THAT skinny.

Armaggon... He looks intense. "Sharkman" looks like he's sick.

You can't even tell, they're sillouhettes.

That is obviously the girl's "hair" or equivelant, with her head only taking up space near the top.

Or are you going to assume she only has one arm as well because we can't see two?

It's a kids' game, no disabled chars here. smile.png

Ms. Pac-Man, Waluigi, Johnny? I dunno, but they surely exist.

Ms. Pac-Man isn't even a humanoid.

Who's Johnny?

facedesk-o.gif

I'm out.

Call me when this thread gets better.

._. What?... 

We don't really know how much of that is head and how much is hair. Betty Boop had a pretty huge head, tho'. 

Jack Skellington, easy.

If you're talking about Slumpy, he reminds me a bit of Emmitt Nervend.

Betty Boop looks like a valid example. I'm not sure if 1930's untouched designs still count though.

Jack Skellington? He's dead. That's why he is so skinny. "Guardians" look like they're still alive. smile.png

Slumpy? Probably I'd better have him in a game, his head isn't shaped like a squash. Hmm, I assume it all comes down to different entertainment history.

Edited by crystallize

guardianderp.png

Hey there sexy.

That drawn-on face looks like something out of Adventure Time to me. It's the expression.

guardianherp.png

Make the eyes more animé-esque and we're good.

For anyone complaining about the girl having a big head:

This is how I'm reading the sillouhette.

guardianherp.png

And... this is how you apparently are?

guardianderp.png

Hey there sexy.

Wish I had more likes. I mean seriously, *sanic voice* I thought nobody would get that.

tornadocomparehigres.png

I like it. The main reason I preferred Unleashed's Tornado over the original was because the original looked too old and rickety while the new one looked like it was made of actual strong steel and was so slick and modern looking. This new one looks like they dropped the Unleashed and old designs in a blender and now we have the best of both.

I was trying to catch up with what's been said already, but fuck it. My first impression when I saw these was "Oh, they don't look very Sonic themed". The first thing I thought of was Crash Bandicoot. I don't know what it is. Looking at them closely they appear to have tribal stripes on their bodies. I'd say there are two girls (far left, one on staff maybe old womanish) while the rest guys. Even though these are only silhouettes, I do get a Pixar vibe from them which is GREAT. Pixar films look amazing, and when Sonic Team used that style for Unleashed it fit Sonic's world so well.

My only question is how will they tie Eggman in to the plot? If they continue tying the games together like Colours and Generations did, then somehow they need to bring him back from white space. They don't appear to have any robotic modifications to them, and neither does the world. I wonder if he'll be sitting out of this title.

I was trying to catch up with what's been said already, but fuck it. My first impression when I saw these was "Oh, they don't look very Sonic themed". The first thing I thought of was Crash Bandicoot. I don't know what it is. Looking at them closely they appear to have tribal stripes on their bodies. I'd say there are two girls (far left, one on staff maybe old womanish) while the rest guys. Even though these are only silhouettes, I do get a Pixar vibe from them which is GREAT. Pixar films look amazing, and when Sonic Team used that style for Unleashed it fit Sonic's world so well.

My only question is how will they tie Eggman in to the plot? If they continue tying the games together like Colours and Generations did, then somehow they need to bring him back from white space. They don't appear to have any robotic modifications to them, and neither does the world. I wonder if he'll be sitting out of this title.

This is about as likely as us ever getting a Shadow game again, but what if - just what if - This Lost World turns out to be some kind of gateway to an alternate universe, and the Sonic and Tails we see in the photo are not the Sonic and Tails we've been following since the Genesis Era? This Sonic and Tails live in a universe where Eggman never existed (or at least was a small time crook or a teacher or something), and Eggman, upon getting out of the White World, decides that if he can't take over his own original universe, he'll just take over this new one, where he'll have the element of surprise and get the jump on the alternate universe Sonic and Tails?

It's kind of a like a soft reboot that ties the old world to the new, while also acting as a fresh start for the franchise?

It's unlikely I know, but eh, I'm bored enough to throw out a theory or two right now.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Show me another girl with such a big head, another guy this skinny, and another diseased sharkman.

Shrek movies are nice example of fantasy creatures with realistic proportions.

betty_boop_031.gif

Olive-oyl-lilsweetpea1936.jpg

Blue.gif

All examples from old cartoons, since I noticed your signature.

Oh he'll be back. You don't just leave him out of a game like this. I'm guessing that he'll do what he did with Knuckles and say "This hedgehog is EVIL! He's going to destroy your world if you don't stop him!" in a grand scheme to access the powerful Macguffin the guardians are guarding.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally from what I can see I think these new characters fit the colorful, cartoony and abstract feel that the game is trying to create.

People complain that there's too many Sonic characters nowadays, So doing something like this seems a good idea because these new characters will probably be in this game and this game only. Kind of like the Wisps. 

I think if they took some inspiration from Megaman and made each of the characters give you a new ability when you defeat them in battle (Or befriend them if there allies), It'd be really cool. Then as you progress through the game you get stronger and stronger and feel even more ultimate when you reach the final boss.

I will admit the characters don't look very Sonic like, But who am i to judge when all I've seen is silhouettes, maybe when we see the actual 3D renders and see how they've been Shaded and Textured they might look pretty awesome. 

​On a side note, Can't we all just respect each other's opinions? It makes me sad that there's so much arguing and hate when this is supposed to be somewhere we can all come to share our love for the blue blur :/ We've all got different ideas of how the perfect Sonic game should be and SEGA can't please everyone. Instead of just saying "Thats a stupid idea", Can't we try to see peoples opinions from their point of view and respect them?

• Thumbs Up 7

I know I just said before not to jump to conclusions, but..

if this game turned out to be an NFC based Skylanders-alike, would people be annoyed? Or would they be happy so long as the game was good?

You have GOT to be kidding me!

Alright, I will stop now. You may as well do as you please. Continue defending everything SEGA shoves at you under the brand "Sonic the hedgehog" because soon it will have little to do with what it used to be and you will finally get your precious Sonic that looks like your dear saturday morning cartoon.  ...or maybe one day Sonic himself will get a redesign and will be added to the pokedex because there he will finally be where he belongs.

Have a nice day!

Take a friggin' chill pill.

Yes, they look completely different from what we'd expect out of the Sonic franchise. That's what makes it cool. I really don't see what you're getting at calling them "Monster's Inc. ripoffs", but I don't see what's so offensive about the character designs having apparent similarities with that movie either. You say you want something "unique and fresh", and to me, that's exactly what this looks like, at least in the context of the Sonic franchise. After more than twenty years of the series adhering to a single style of character design and three years of the series playing it safe as can be, it's really nice to see something this wacky and outlandish. I love these silhouettes the more I look at them, and I don't know about you, but I'm really excited to see these characters in full.

And another thing. Did anyone complain when Mario had a character that looked like this? Or this, maybe? Sure, you could say that Paper Mario is a spinoff series and Lost World is a main game, but god, why isn't Sonic allowed to try something different with its character deisgn, especially when it has a good reason? The titular "Lost World" is a brand new location to the franchise - would it make the slightest lick of sense if everyone or everything Sonic encountered there was exactly like back on Earth? It's just as was said several posts back: series plays it safe, people complain. Series takes the freaking character design in a different direction for a single group of baddies and people complain.

Seriously, it's not like they're shoving some completely random Unexpected Gameplay Change down our throats again like they did with the Werehog. This is just character design, not something to scream and cry over being different. Then again, this IS the Sonic fanbase...

Whatever the case, I'm pumped. This alone is enough to make me excited to see more. At the very least, it shows that what we're getting will likely point to Lost World having a very different and unique aesthetic for the franchise, and the addition of a new group of villains could lead to a bit more emphasis on story.

I don't know about you guys, but I can kinda see lizard qualities in some of these, the "girl" has a curly tail and a horn for example... Who else has one of those? espio!

Also lizards are fairly wierd anyway so they could potentially exaggerate the features a little.

That's...actually an interesting observation.

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know I just said before not to jump to conclusions, but..

if this game turned out to be an NFC based Skylanders-alike, would people be annoyed? Or would they be happy so long as the game was good?

What does NFC-based mean again...................