Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

3DS screen?

Kz5jf6w.png

I've just posted in the 3DS thread thinking about how it's going to look, I wanted to say it was the 3DS Generations version, but it is not.

I'm getting lots of Mario Galaxy vibes from this, moreso than I did Colours.  The vivid colours, the curved, over the top geometry, the variety of surfaces.  Mario Galaxy influence all over this.  HOWEVER, this is NOT a bad thing.  I still stand by the Galaxy games being the best platformers of this generation (Galaxy 2 being one of my favourite all time platformers) and the fact that this game reminds me of that so far is a good thing.  Nonetheless despite this it still screams modern Sonic to me, but done more right than ever.

There's a lot of parkour and tricks in the trailer and I love it, and the fact that there's a lot of interesting geometry this time round makes the game look really exciting and the incredible detail in the level that make it look like it's going to be a lot of room for exploration but more importantly, creative movement.  For example, the fact that Sonic can find a wall and possibly freely run along not only opens up new places and areas to go to, but more creative possibilities in which you can tackle a situation which is what the Modern Sonic games have been lacking as of late and is one of the reasons why the classics are so fun to play even now.

The only real main critique I have is the trope.  Yeah it's boring and "Green Hill" but with how crazy and eccentric the design is I don't even mind.  I'd rather take a well designed level of a simple overused trope than a unique trope with a poorly designed level (though of course preferably I want both).  Also the background is quite pretty and there's a wonderful colour contrast.

Oh other things, I like the return of the classic animals.  Those pigs, chickens and Flicky made me nostalgia a little and give me hopes they're kicking it old skool with the plot.  And I don't even mind the designs of the six guardians.  They're not mind blowing but I don't think they're all that offensive either.  I'm more curious to see how they pan out as characters and the purpose they all serve.  The purple "Waluigi" one in that trailer seemed to essentially be like the leader, despite the silhouette image making it out the seem like the big red one was the leader.

So overall the trailer has me both hyped and curious.  I'm eager to see how this all pans out.

Green Hill Zone

Will you ever, EVER get tired of the same shit over and over again?! It's like...Oh wait, it's like Mario! Not that Sonic hasn't reused stages (Green Hill, Seaside Hill) before but...Sweet Jesus! Green Hill zone AGAIN!!!

Why do you love all this so much?!

It doesn't look like a Sonic game, the gameplay doesn't look like something I'd expect from main console game, more like Sonic dash quick-cash! And the graphics! Compared to Hedgehog engine which is 5 years old, this look like total failure.

As I've said. Remove chekered stuff and badniks and it'll look more like mushroom kingdom than a level from a Sonic game. Not even like Green Hill.

• Thumbs Up 1

How dare I like something you don't like.

How dare I must be stupid to like this.

How dare I give a fuck about anything about this game.

This shit's getting tiresome, man.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 2

Will you ever, EVER get tired of the same shit over and over again?! It's like...Oh wait, it's like Mario! Not that Sonic hasn't reused stages (Green Hill, Seaside Hill) before but...Sweet Jesus! Green Hill zone AGAIN!!!

It doesn't look like a Sonic game, the gameplay doesn't look like something I'd expect from main console game, more like Sonic dash quick-cash! And the graphics! Compared to Hedgehog engine which is 5 years old, this look like total failure.

As I've said. Remove chekered stuff and badniks and it'll look more like mushroom kingdom than a level from a Sonic game. Not even like Green Hill.

Simmer down a little bit would ya?

"Will you EVER get tired of the same shit over and over again?!"

"Why do you love all this so much?!"

You're being confrontational for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Simmer down a little bit would ya?

"Will you EVER get tired of the same shit over and over again?!"

"Why do you love all this so much?!"

You're being confrontational for no reason.

And what's controversial about this?

You get a trailer with almost God-knows-what gameplay style, you got Green Hill yet AGAIN, you got Sonic-only (come freacking on! they won't give you any other playable characters, I'm pretty sure of that), all this looking like either a pixar generic movie or a new Mario Galaxy game.

And you hated overuse of Seaside Hill and Green Hill in previous games, you got bored with Sonic-only and wanted a new SONIC game, not Mario game.

...and you are happy. Sometimes I don't, I CAN'T understand this fandom.

Yes we are and already have been.  Heck I even stated in my post that it was the one gripe I had with the trailer.

Because to me it looks fun and exciting?  I enjoyed watching the trailer and am eager to see more.   If it didn't for you that's fine, but quit being such a bitch about it.

It doesn't look like a Sonic game, the gameplay doesn't look like something I'd expect from main console game, more like Sonic dash quick-cash!

Springs, slopes, dash panels, high speed, badniks, small animals and over the top geometry.  This reminds me more of a 2D classic Sonic game in 3D than any other 3D Sonic game has so far.   

And the graphics! Compared to Hedgehog engine which is 5 years old, this look like total failure.

Total failure is a bit of an exaggeration but I'll agree in the sense that graphically it may not initially seem as impressive as the Hedgehog Engine.  On the other hand, I can appreciate the vivid art style and who knows?  The compromise to the graphics may actually mean the game runs at a solid smooth frame rate.  If it runs at 60 FPS then that alone for me will make it look better than Unleashed/Generations as a whole.

Responses in bold.  You're making a mountain out of a ant hole and quite frankly are coming off as rather obnoxious.  It's early days, yet you seem so conclusive about your accusations.  

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 7

We've only seen one stage.

Besides possibly having only one character, this has got almost everything the fandom (and reviewers) like in a Sonic game. It's your impression I don't really understand.. I mean, fair enough on your opinion, but I don't understand why it's so overwhelmingly negative when there's nothing bad seen here like the Adventure games through 06 had. Or the bad gameplay gimmick of Unleashed either.

We're happy because for once, it actually looks fun right away.

Edited by SuperLink

You get a trailer with almost God-knows-what gameplay style, you got Green Hill yet AGAIN, you got Sonic-only (come freacking on! they won't give you any other playable characters, I'm pretty sure of that), all this looking like either a pixar generic movie or a new Mario Galaxy game.

And you hated overuse of Seaside Hill and Green Hill in previous games, you got bored with Sonic-only and wanted a new SONIC game, not Mario game.

There's always the possibility people who complained about that stuff aren't the same people who like the look of this game.  Either that or they changed their minds, it's a thing that happens, believe it or not.

tumblr_lzin8itHkT1qhya5no1_400.jpg

It having a new gameplay style is a GOOD thing. A lot of people here were tired of the same thing over and over. It's definitely Mario Galaxy-esque, but there's nothing generic about this.

As for it being Green Hill again- yeah, okay, we've seen the stage a lot, but it's not as if this is the only stage, and it looks like a fresh and interesting take on the level trope.

Also "Sonic Dash Quick Cash"? Please. You need to calm down bro. Stop calling people out just because they like what they see.

Edited by Solly

...read my post again. I never said there was anything controversial, I didn't even say you were wrong. I just said that you're being a bit too confrontational in how you're presenting your opinion. And with all due respect, your attitude towards "the fandom" seems rather condescending.

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else now getting the feeling that the whole point of Generations' "End Theme Medley" was to end the era on a high and make people remember all of those themes, to then have this brand new take of the Sonic gameplay, and a refresh of sorts.

After all, what are we seeing? Classic and modern mixed together, both in sounds and style.

As someone else said before this was shown, this could be a whole new reboot of the entire series.

The gameplay looks great, and I don't see how this looks like Mario at all. Its a LOT more colorful than typical Sonic games, and I'm not quite sure I like that. I don't mean a dark and gritty atmosphere, but I think that the past few titles (Unleashed, Colors, Generations) had the right amount of balance. Not too colorful, not too dark. (I still hate the human designs in Unleashed.)

This is way more colorful and cel-shaded in style than those titles. And the classics, please don't say the classics looked this bright. Generations is a closer example of what the classics looked like. In regards to comparing it to Mario, the graphics slightly resemble that of Mario. Otherwise this is all Sonic, and please stop comparing it to Mario Galaxy, its getting old and stale. This is more Sonic X-Treme than Mario Galaxy.

I hate the Deadly Six. I do not like their appearances at all. I hope Sega can make them more interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The graphics are also extremely questionable to me. I loved the scenery in Generations and Unleashed. I'm not seeing that here. The backgrounds look flat and stale.

The gameplay keeps me a little hyped, but the silhouettes of the baddies alone were a good example of what to expect, so I don't really regret saying that I lost hype. I've still lost hype, but I'm really hoping that the change in gameplay allows other Sonic characters to come back. That's what I really want; to be able to play through the game as more than just Sonic.

Yeah, I KNOW its called the Sonic the Hedgehog series, but I LIKE playing as multiple characters. And its not like this hasn't been a staple since the beginning, because it has; ever since Sonic 2. We've had three games in a row now with just Sonic. I'd like to be able to play as someone else for a change to increase replay value, that way I can play through as Sonic and also as other characters, as well. As long as they don't force other characters to be playable then I don't see what's wrong with it.

Anyway, still awaiting new info. The trailer didn't really show much. The only thing keeping me hyped right now is the prospect of this being a revival of Sonic X-Treme, except done right.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's early days, yet you seem so conclusive about your accusations. 

Because aside from new Tornado plane and CGi (that I always loved in any Sonic game) I saw nothing that would catch my interest, nothing that would make me remember why I started to love Sonic both when playing classic games and when I became a real fan of the series after playing Sonic adventure DX in 2003. Did I mention that I'm that type of a fan who loves and wants more stories in Sonic games that aren't barebones or just excuses of stories? I like it when the game takes itself seriously when it needs to because watching happy-go-lucky shit for the entirety of the game is just as boring as watching Shadow saying DAMN for the whole game!

And even boost games looked like kinda natural evolution of the series and were stil definitely SONIC games. This one, however, just SCREAMS: GIMMICKS all over the place and Marevo Galagsy.

It having a new gameplay style is a GOOD thing.

Sure, except it's not really new since it looks like Marevo Galaksy and Sonic Dash love child. Even graphics are the same. That's degrading. After beautiful things in Sonic Unleashed, Generations and, hell, Colors, this looks so much worse!

...read my post again. I never said there was anything controversial, I didn't even say you were wrong. I just said that you're being a bit too confrontational in how you're presenting your opinion. And with all due respect, your attitude towards "the fandom" seems rather condescending.

Sorry. I guess I misread your words.

Edited by ArtFenix

Sorry. I guess I misread your words.

It's cool, no harm done.

Also, it's spelled "Mario Galaxy" :P

It's cool, no harm done.

Also, it's spelled "Mario Galaxy" tongue.png

I did that on purpose:).

Oh I'll purposely misspell this game that I don't like, this is surely clever and original!

• Thumbs Up 3

oh my

Why do you hate all this so much?!

It looks exactly like a new Sonic game, the gameplay looks new and interesting and the graphics look just fine! Compared to the Hedgehog Engine, it may not look quite as good, but it's not at all bad! And even then, it's not like graphics matter all that much!

You get a trailer with almost God-knows-what gameplay style,

Well, we think it looks fun.

you got Green Hill yet AGAIN,

It's just one level.

you got Sonic-only (come freacking on! they won't give you any other playable characters, I'm pretty sure of that),

Who cares.

all this looking like either a pixar generic movie or a new Mario Galaxy game.

Harping on the visual style not looking like SA1/2 again...artfencks y u do dis.

Overusing the Green Hill trope is a bit tiring, yeah, but again, just one level. We don't know if it's Sonic only yet, and if it is, this is a brand new gameplay style anyway, and personally, I'd rather have it just be solidly built to work for one character rather than having several shoehorned in. And this is not a Mario game. Please stop saying it is.

Yes, how DARE we disagree with your nostalgia-blinded, baseless opinions formed almost solely on "childish" aesthetics and a vague resemblance to Mario Galaxy, which is objectively a terrible thing apparently.

Condescension works both ways, my friend.

ArtFenix, if there's one thing you are in serious need of, it's a chill pill.

We get it. You want specific things out of a Sonic game and the most recent games haven't given them to you. That's fine, but throwing tantrums like a child and then treating everyone who thinks differently from you like a mindless idiot is not the way to go about expressing that thought.

And honestly, I think it would help for you to accept that some people just don't want the same things out of a Sonic game that you do, and aren't as passionate about the things they want when they do agree. Are you forgetting that you're one of the few people here who enjoys Sonic 06, based partially on the fact that its story was dark and serious? You're entitled to your opinions, but you're definitely not the only sane man here.

• Thumbs Up 9

What about the gameplay itself makes you think "Mario Galaxy"? The levels themselves maybe, but even then areas that are floating in the air isn't exactly uncommon among platformers, especially Sonic. I just don't get it.

And I'm not sure where you're getting Sonic Dash at all from this.

Bleh...you can't please everyone (especially in the Sonic fanbase =P). I and many others are stoked for this game, others are not. Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by KrazyBean

artfencks

At least I didn't mislell your name. That makes you really nice, thanks a lot.

And I'm not sure where you're getting Sonic Dash at all from this.

http://youtu.be/D-sIkDWfccU?t=35s

Right there

Edited by ArtFenix

(I'm a bit late here aren't I?)

This is the second Sonic game trailer to make me literally cry tears of joy while staring at the screen with my jaw dropped so low that you can drive a space ship through it, the first being Generations', of course. I mean, good GOD, talk about being overwhelmed. First I'm greeted beautiful CG with what looks like a new Green Hill Zone with the animal friends from the classic games in that beautiful CG, then the new characters are revealed (yay, they're villains!), then awesome gameplay, colorful graphics, "new abilities", and Sonic X-Treme's brother avenge his death, and just.... Oh my glob... Hype hype hype hype hype hype. :D

I love the classic blur they gave Sonic's running animation. It's small, but it makes the game look even more classic-y than it already does.

Edited by Auto

At least I didn't mispell your name. That makes you really nice, thanks a lot.

You're welcome.