Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

I honestly don't see how there's no difference between CGI and in-game models.

76hi.jpg

(this one's upscaled and compressed)

maxresdefault.jpg

(this one's compressed and downscaled)

There's still a huge difference.

I actually don't think I'll buy the game due to what's going on in Russia at the moment with the abuse of homosexuals.

Oh wow. Just... WOW! Are you even serious?! facepalm.jpg

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

B-b-but they have no money to create any more characters or dream events!((((((((((((((

Oh wow, competing against an argument by mocking someone. Really adult, dude. >_>

There's a huge difference between producing a new, expensive CGI movie and using models that are already in-game and putting them into a character select.

Oh , please! Are we talking about some unknown struggling indie developers??? The game is being supported not even by one, but by TWO gaming industrie LEGENDS! How poor do you think they are to make ONE CGI intro for a game that will sell like hot cakes?

It's only on Wii U, there's no way it'll sell like hot cakes. You can't expect great sales on a console with such a low install base.

Yes, it kinda does. You see, they used to think that way, like "Oh hey guys, just imagine how awesome it would be if we made a beautiful CGI intro! What if we added a vocal track?" They did everything to improve their games and fill them with as much as they could to provide better experience. Now they're omitting everything. Gameplay is important but without everything else the game will not be as as great as it could be. Thinking otherwise may as well bring us back to playing Tetris.

"No CGI in M&S 2014" =/= "omitting everything". Seriously, all the game is missing is a CGI intro, don't act like they scrapped everything. 

I believe I make a point but I can clearly see you will keep defending the company and up-voting those who have better reputation no matter if they actually make a point or not.

Keep defending the company? Sega gets a lot of critism here, for there marketing, for example, but there are just some things that deserve to be defended! CGI movies are just incredibly expensive and for the key audience (Casuals), CGI isn't a key factor for purchasing the game, so I and a lot of other guys on here just can't blame them for not using one for this game.

Anyway, I do think them not making a CGI intro is stupidly lazy and I see no decent excuse for them for doing that. Your point of view I already know just by looking at up-votes. No need to keeping this debate any longer.

We just mentioned a decent excuse, so don't be so stubborn, act like there isn't one and then close the debate so you'll have the last word.

Yes, I am Art. I'm sorry but I don't want to have anything to do with Russia at the moment, not even in a video game. What they're doing is just wrong and why they're allowed to host the games I just don't know. But I'll end the subject here, I don't want it to blow up into a massive debate.

But at the end of the day, it's my decision. I read an article that says that by making a game based on Sochi, SEGA and Nintendo will indirectly be "supporting" the bullshit going on in Russia. I don't want to be supporting the Sochi Games, and I think that's fair.

Edited by Wil348

There is no "bullshit going on in Russia" and I will ask you to stop this crap.

I'm just your average Russian citizen as for me reading stuff like that is offensive to say the least.

Oh and it's really awkward people not buying games not because of something they don't like about the games themselves (no CGI intros, no vocal tracks, no new playable characters, stories, art style, music or gameplay itself in Sonic games etc.) but because some insignificant stuff in the coutry this game is connected with. Wow indeed.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not talking about the citizens, I'm talking about the government. But it's best if we end the conversation here as it is drifting off into innapropriate territory.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no "bullshit going on in Russia" and I will ask you to stop this crap.

I'm just your average Russian citizen as for me reading stuff like that is offensive to say the least.

Oh and it's really awkward people not buying games not because of something they don't like about the games themselves (no CGI intros, no vocal tracks, no new playable characters, stories, art style, music or gameplay itself in Sonic games etc.) but because some insignificant stuff in the coutry this game is connected with. Wow indeed.

Art, at the risk of mini-modding, I am asking you to stop this now. He has every right not to buy the game for reasons that are happening in Russia as I also have my rights not to buy the game for the company stupidly limiting my choice to choose my skating partners (e.g. sucking all of the fun out of the game.)

Again art like I said, I myself can't see much of a difference, mostly I see different lighting and Sonic with a centre mouth ( that's just odd). Sure some people like you can see a huge difference, I don't see all that much of a difference, like most people and a lot of casuals, it's just a cutscene. I'd call SA a huge difference and this more of a slight one.

Still gotta say it: Bullet Bill Podracing XD

Also, honestly the difference between CGI and non-CGI is minor, and not really a problem, this should be a solid and fun minigame collection. My only caveat of course is the still annoying lack of new characters, I mean come on Nintendo and SEGA, the olympics are about people, you should include more of them!

I see you going on about adding more characters Mando, but seriously tell me this, which other MAINSTREAM (because that's all they would put in) Sonic characters would you put in? They wouldn't put forgotten characters in untill they appear in a mainstream game,

And then on the other side, which other MAINSTREAM mario character would you add to match the number of Sonic characters, I can think of a few Sonic ones to add but pretty much all the mario ones are in, unless they start adding goombas and koopas

Edited by Jolt_TH

Oh , please! Are we talking about some unknown struggling indie developers??? The game is being supported not even by one, but by TWO gaming industrie LEGENDS! How poor do you think they are to make ONE CGI intro for a game that will sell like hot cakes?

Maybe they just don't want to be spending money on stuff that isn't necessary. And yes, though its a nice bonus, its not really necessary. Not having CGI doesn't detract from the game.

Yes, it kinda does. You see, they used to think that way, like "Oh hey guys, just imagine how awesome it would be if we made a beautiful CGI intro! What if we added a vocal track?" They did everything to improve their games and fill them with as much as they could to provide better experience. Now they're omitting everything. Gameplay is important but without everything else the game will not be as as great as it could be. Thinking otherwise may as well bring us back to playing Tetris.

How the fuck did you think that was an acceptable argument. There are still cutscenes, they're just using in-game assets. How is doing that regressing back to Tetris? Its not like we're talking about the complete removal of story or cutscenes (not like Story even matters in this game anyway...).

Adding a CGI cutscene won't improve anything, except the quality of the cutscene, which will ultimately have zero impact on how well it scores or how well it plays.

I will just say that I was talking about SLoW which had a lot of "meh" score. Yeah, like those games except they had a lot more to them but SLoW didn't get much better even by omitting so many things and supposedly spending that money on improving the gameplay experience™. You still got a mess of a game.

What are you saying here? That the money that was otherwise for CGI, was spent on "Improving the gameplay experience"? What proof is there of this. Who's to say that they didn't spend the CGI money at all, and saved it for use on another project.

I believe I make a point but I can clearly see you will keep defending the company and up-voting those who have better reputation no matter if they actually make a point or not.

So you're saying I don't have a point?

Anyway, I do think them not making a CGI intro is stupidly lazy and I see no decent excuse for them for doing that. Your point of view I already know just by looking at up-votes. No need to keeping this debate any longer.

Whatever man.

I see you going on about adding more characters Mando, but seriously tell me this, which other MAINSTREAM (because that's all they would put in) Sonic characters would you put in? They wouldn't put forgotten characters in untill they appear in a mainstream game,

And then on the other side, which other MAINSTREAM mario character would you add to match the number of Sonic characters, I can think of a few Sonic ones to add but pretty much all the mario ones are in, unless they start adding goombas and koopas

Dixie Kong?  Rosalina? what about the kong from DKC3? even ROB, who showed up in mario kart.... you could even add another nintenso mainstay, like Kirby and King Deedee, then you would have even more diversity

if you want to go retro, Stanley from DC 3

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

That's my point, there are far too few for them to bother, there's Roslina and Dixie/Diddy (although they are classed as more DK so they are iffy) for Mario and Espio, Charmy and Cream for Sonic, they'd need at least 4 more for each side than what they have to even out the numbers so fR we have 1 more for Mario and 3 for Sonic

That's my point, there are far too few for them to bother, there's Roslina and Dixie/Diddy (although they are classed as more DK so they are iffy) for Mario and Espio, Charmy and Cream for Sonic, they'd need at least 4 more for each side than what they have to even out the numbers so fR we have 1 more for Mario and 3 for Sonic

First off, you could argue that Mario is technicly a DK character, and I would say that if diddie can show up in the tennis and soccer spinoff, its totaly possible for him to show up in this, and with Dixies reappearence in DKCR tropical freeze she is more likely. Also, if Rob can show up in Mario kart, I would rule out him or DK related characters... they could also use Petey like the did in strikers....

On the sonic side, you also have Marine(who would actualy be more likely than Charmy), and there is always the chance of pulling someone from retirement

It's not how many characters that are left that can be available that's the disappointment, it's why SEGA/Nintendo doesn't decide to use a good roster on their hands - mainly the latter company.

King K. Rool in Mario Super Sluggers was the biggest surprise, and a great addition to the roster despite all of his other stats besides batting and pitching happened to be inferior to others. Why this game doesn't do something like this as in making boss characters unlockable to play after beating them seems lazy - in fact a lot of this game is coming off as lazy and re-hashed to me, which is another reason why I am so darn disappointed in the direction of this series as of late.

I mean, for Mario's roster you can have:

Rosalina

Pauline

Dixie Kong

Diddy Kong

King K. Rool

Mona

Captain Syrup

Foreman Spike

Wart

Fawful (despite being dead)

Stanley

ect.

And for Sonic's roster you can have:

Marine

Shade (if they can use her)

Storm

Wave

(any of the unused characters like: Nack, Ray, and Mighty)

Tikal and Chaos 0

Emerl

Chip

And that's all who comes to mind right now.

So if you count the roster it would be like 22 new characters - 11 for Mario's side and 11 for Sonic's side counting the completely unused characters on the roster.

Edited by Scheming Minor

What annoys me is that SEGA has extra character models done and their own races, yet you can't play as them.

Espio and Cream come to mind over chip and chaos, but other wise not bad

It's not how many characters that are left that can be available that's the disappointment, it's why SEGA/Nintendo doesn't decide to use a good roster on their hands - mainly the latter company.

King K. Rool in Mario Super Sluggers was the biggest surprise, and a great addition to the roster despite all of his other stats besides batting and pitching happened to be inferior to others. Why this game doesn't do something like this as in making boss characters unlockable to play after beating them seems lazy - in fact a lot of this game is coming off as lazy and re-hashed to me, which is another reason why I am so darn disappointed in the direction of this series as of late.

I mean, for Mario's roster you can have:

Rosalina

Pauline

Dixie Kong

Diddy Kong

King K. Rool

Mona

Captain Syrup

Foreman Spike

Wart

Fawful (despite being dead)

Stanley

ect.

And for Sonic's roster you can have:

Marine

Shade (if they can use her)

Storm

Wave

(any of the unused characters like: Nack, Ray, and Mighty)

Tikal and Chaos 0

Emerl

Chip

And that's all who comes to mind right now.

So if you count the roster it would be like 22 new characters - 11 for Mario's side and 11 for Sonic's side counting the completely unused characters on the roster.

What annoys me is that SEGA has extra character models done and their own races, yet you can't play as them.

Yep, all true, and all annoying sadly, oh come on nintendo surprise us for once will you, if you started adding more characters M&S could become as a big a staple as SSB on the fanservice side

If only there was a way we could communicate this to Nintendo(and SEGA) and get them to listen

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

The Sonic-themed Figure Skating routine is revealed to be... Sonic Colours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSYndi2ggcs

Damn, that is looking good. Planet Wisp and Starlight Carnival (and possibly more)? Count me in!

Mario's Figure Skating routine is based around 3D Land for those interested, too.

• Thumbs Up 6

Iirc, the original had a setup of 3 stages. I bet there will be one more, maybe even two more. I only saw two wisps being collected and it's possible each level will have a wisp - meaning 4 in total.

I don't think their even remixes, they sound identical to Planet Wisp Modern and Galactic parade to me. I was also hoping for a remix of SC act 1 :(

Dat music in the Champion Race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1V-sYKzGk

Also, it goes without saying, but it's confirmed you can play as any of the characters online.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dat music in the Champion Race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1V-sYKzGk

Also, it goes without saying, but it's confirmed you can play as any of the characters online.

NEW PLAYABLE character confirmed.... sadly its a koopaling

NEW PLAYABLE character confirmed.... sadly its a koopaling

It's just a Mii in a Ludwig costume.

I think that's their excuse to get around the lack of actual new playable characters, like in the London 2012 and (if I remember rightly) the original Winter Olympics game. Namely, you can unlock/buy costumes of various different characters from the Mario and Sonic universes and dress your Mii up in them. Better than nothing I guess.