Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

The Wii U UK Facebook page made a post about the game, pretty much asking "are you ready for the 2014 Winter Olympics?" or something like that. The amount of flak that this game is getting for being based on Sochi is HUGE. It looks like one of the reasons it didn't sell was because of what's going on in Russia at the moment.

I don't understand why this game got worse reviews from critics than previous M&S games. Not only does it look better, but it has so much more to offer compared to the other games and has more of a Mario and Sonic influence to it, what with the levels and songs. Then there's dem character interactions which I absolutely adore. <3 Could it be because of all the Sochi Olympics controversy (which is entirely justified)? Probably not, but it is strange still.

I wish I could buy it just to try it out, but I think the price is still a bit too steep. I'm waiting till it's about 10 quid less. I only ever bought M&S Beijing (DAY 1) and that was bare bones compared to this one!

Most of them think it's lacking compared to past iterations. I don't own the game, but looking at the events and the modes...I'd probably agree with them. Vancouver and London were more fun. 

Agreed that London was better. I really enjoyed London, but I thought this was okay. I got it as a present for Christmas, but hardly play it.

So what is the general consensus? Which is the best out of Olympic, Winter Olympic, London 2012 and Sochi 2014? I only played the first two and I preferred Winter Olympics.

Most people would agree that Vancouver is best for both the console and handheld. Personally, London slightly beats out Vancouver for the consoles, but I would agree that Vancouver DS was better than London 3DS.

Vancouver was the pinnacle of the series, definitely. The DS version with its Adventure Tours was great, and the Wii version was a notable improvement on the Beijing original. The Winter Olympics just lend themselves better to more frantic and fast paced gameplay.

I really wasn't that sold on the London ones (which is ironic really, seeing as I'm English), mainly because the Summer Olympics just weren't as engaging and it lacked the magic of the initial Beijing novelty value. It was all a bit repetitive, with too much focus placed on the multiplayer in the Wii version and a lot of stupid design choices in the 3DS version.

However, I do think Sochi is a decent successor to the Vancouver game, and makes some well-adjusted improvements in terms of controls and fanservice. I think why critics have been more harsh with the new game however is because, even if some of it is better this time around, we've already seen most of it before. There's a lot of missed potential still, and therefore it's marked more critically because it's not enough of a notable step up, even if technically speaking it is still a step up. Check out my TSS review of it for my full thoughts, because I think I'm one of the only people who reviewed it in a more positive light despite its shortcomings.

As for why the game sold terribly - I doubt it's that influenced by the Russia controversy. It's mostly about a horrible lack of marketing (you'd not be blamed for forgetting it even existed upon release) and the Wii U install base being so tiny at the time (with most people who own the console not being the audience the game is intended to sell for).

• Thumbs Up 2

Russia controversy?

There's a lot of controversy about Russia's stance on gay rights and things at the moment, I believe. Some people might have taken a stance against this game so as not to support Sochi 2014, and therefore not support Russia in the process. Which is perfectly understandable, especially with little niggling restrictions in the game like having to pick mixed gender couples in Figure Skating events.

There's a lot of controversy about Russia's stance on gay rights and things at the moment, I believe. Some people might have taken a stance against this game so as not to support Sochi 2014, and therefore not support Russia in the process. Which is perfectly understandable, especially with little niggling restrictions in the game like having to pick mixed gender couples in Figure Skating events.

But the sales for the game would go the Olympic Committee rather than Russia themselves wouldn't it? Buying the game therefore, wouldn't help Russia would it?

But the sales for the game would go the Olympic Committee rather than Russia themselves wouldn't it? Buying the game therefore, wouldn't help Russia would it?

Oh I'm not saying it would directly affect Russia at all - it's just that the country, the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, and subsequently this game all have a bit of a stigma attached to them now. Whether it will have any impact or not, some people might just not want to buy it on principle.

It's the name in general I think. Not to mention that technically the game does take place there and certain events in it reflect Russia's anti gay laws.

Oh I'm not saying it would directly affect Russia at all - it's just that the country, the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, and subsequently this game all have a bit of a stigma attached to them now. Whether it will have any impact or not, some people might just not want to buy it on principle.

It's the name in general I think. Not too mention that technically the game does take place there and certain events in it reflect Russia's anti gay laws.

Ah right, I see. The figure-skating that MK mentioned?

Ah right, I see. The figure-skating that MK mentioned?

That's the main culprit, yeah. You're forced into choosing a male and female pair whether you like it or not, a problem that's compounded by the fact that there's 16 male characters to choose from and only 4 females. It's not an even balance, which makes the decision stick out like a sore thumb.

That's the main culprit, yeah. You're forced into choosing a male and female pair whether you like it or not, a problem that's compounded by the fact that there's 16 male characters to choose from and only 4 females. It's not an even balance, which makes the decision stick out like a sore thumb.

Only four..? Daisy, Peach, Blaze and Amy, oh wow... And then everyone else.

Only four..? Daisy, Peach, Blaze and Amy, oh wow... And then everyone else.

Yep, it's very limiting. Especially as there's people out there who wanted to live out their crazy fan-fiction dreams of Eggman and Waluigi dancing together.

• Thumbs Up 3

A man can dream, but I'd like to see new female playable characters via DLC.

The problem is, while Sonic has a lot of female characters (Rouge, Cream, Wave, the new entry Zeena), Mario doesn't have such variety aside Rosalina (Birdo's gender is still questionable, and... I can't remember other girls in the Mario universe outside the rpgs)

A man can dream, but I'd like to see new female playable characters via DLC.

The problem is, while Sonic has a lot of female characters (Rouge, Cream, Wave, the new entry Zeena), Mario doesn't have such variety aside Rosalina (Birdo's gender is still questionable, and... I can't remember other girls in the Mario universe outside the rpgs)

Pauline.

Pauline's made a bit of a comeback recently so it's not as far-fetched as it used to be.

I suppose you also might have characters from the off-shoots as well, but that could raise some fuss if they get in over main branch reoccurring characters.

I have the game, but I didn't buy it. A relative got it for me for Christmas, I didn't even ask for it. It's an okay game, just not worth it if you have Vancouver. Not to mention in Vancouver you get to have same sex couples in figure skating.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only point I'll ever consider buying the game is when I spot a copy on the secondhand shelf. A good long time after the games happen. Not until the law's been lifted even.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, it's very limiting. Especially as there's people out there who wanted to live out their crazy fan-fiction dreams of Eggman and Waluigi dancing together.

Awww, guys. It's like you know me.

What's so crazy about it anyways? Psssssh. Eggman would totally dance with him. Rock up the place then draw a giant butt on the ice with him.

It would be magical.

• Thumbs Up 2

So did anyone else find it weird that Rouge the Bat was a straight up villain in this game alongside Dry Bowser and Nega? I mean, I know it's a non-canon party game and I actually love the move's execution, but seriously? Eggman, Metal Sonic, Bowser and Junior all made it in as playable "heroes" of the game, and surely there was SOME snow-land frozen factory based female antagonist SEGA could have used instead. Meh, I do love the hilariousness of how strange it is though.

And goddamn SEGA, why must you constantly tease me with Omega? Just make him playable again already!

I don't think I'd pick this up unless I could get it for £5 or under in a bargain bin, and even then I don't think I'd care much.

For me, the novelty of the Mario & Sonic games has just completely worn off. The first one was a huge novelty because "Hey, it's Mario and Sonic in a game, together!". The second one was the first Winter Olympics one, so it was different enough to warrant it, in addition to building upon the first and generally being better.

The London one was where I started to not give a damn any more. I bought it because 'hey, it's London' (I live there and all), but I didn't really play it for more than a few hours. By this point it's really all been done before. Couple the fact I've tired I've tired of the franchise with my objections to Russia getting the games in the first place and I'd be hard pushed to have less interest in this game. Even without Russia's homophobic controversy I'd probably not have been in any real hurry to pick this up.