Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

Yeah, I'm not all too tickled to buy this game either. I'll have to wait and see if the right incentive pops up.

So did anyone else find it weird that Rouge the Bat was a straight up villain in this game alongside Dry Bowser and Nega? I mean, I know it's a non-canon party game and I actually love the move's execution, but seriously? Eggman, Metal Sonic, Bowser and Junior all made it in as playable "heroes" of the game, and surely there was SOME snow-land frozen factory based female antagonist SEGA could have used instead. Meh, I do love the hilariousness of how strange it is though.

And goddamn SEGA, why must you constantly tease me with Omega? Just make him playable again already!

Ever since the first Winter Olympics game Rouge, Omega, Nega, and Jet have all been in as "Rival" characters. Seems that Rouge and Nega at least are back. I think in London Jet and Omega were in, too, but I'm not sure. I'd have to check it.

It really sucks, though, because they added in "Rival" characters but didn't make them playable. They could've added two of the four rivals from each side as playables in London and the other two in this one, but nope. Still, it is nice that they acknowledge Rouge in spinoffs... -_-

The stupidity of same-sex couples in this is, regardless of anyone's stance on gays... what the hell does having two people of the same sex skating together have ANYTHING to do with gay couples? Sorry but that's just BS.

The stupidity of same-sex couples in this is, regardless of anyone's stance on gays... what the hell does having two people of the same sex skating together have ANYTHING to do with gay couples? Sorry but that's just BS.

That's Russia for you. :P

I'm not sure how to take that comment: are you saying Russia banning same-sex couples from skating is stupid, or that people complaining about it is stupid?

He's talking about how Russia seems to be lumping anyone who does a same-sex couple as "gay". Something that is just dumb to assume in the first place.

By that logic, I guess an all-mens choir in Russia's book is a bunch of gay guys singing.tongue.png

It's not Russia's fault for the one girl one boy thing. That's an official ISU regulation, which means that they were the ones who imposed it.

Hence why the dream Bobsled, which also consists of two characters, doesn't have that limitation.

Edit: Here are the regulations up to date as of 2012 (and taken off the ISU official site), look at rule 302.4.

It's not Russia's fault for the one girl one boy thing. That's an official ISU regulation, which means that they were the ones who imposed it.

Hence why the dream Bobsled, which also consists of two characters, doesn't have that limitation.

Edit: Here are the regulations up to date as of 2012 (and taken off the ISU official site), look at rule 302.4.

Granted, if you do recall the ISU regulation also allows ribbon dancing to be open only to women, and yet in London Games, they allowed everyone to compete - they even mentioned that their version of the games allows all genders.

Using the ISU to restrain freedom of choice on skating couples when they have done quite the opposite in the past is a poor excuse on their behalf.

For one, the International Skating Union (what ISU stands for) does not control any form of gymnastics (that's controlled by the FIG, Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique). It's a different body of people we're referring to, and it's a likely possibility that one was more lenient than the other.

Secondly, in the case of ribbon dancing, it'd be ridiculous to impose the rule because that would mean a maximum of five competitors (4 female characters + Mii). While the pair figure skating is unbalanced, it doesn't exclude any of the characters hence why they probably weren't so flexible on that one.

Let me emphasise that I'm not arguing that it was right to impose it, just that it wasn't Russia who did. I assume SEGA would have been fine with same-sex couples if it had complete control, since the Bullet Bill race (the event in the game that allows same sex pairs) has Silver and Blaze as a pair on the loading screen, and I'm pretty sure that's a romantic tease right there (as controversial that idea is to some others). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand why this game got worse reviews from critics than previous M&S games. Not only does it look better, but it has so much more to offer compared to the other games and has more of a Mario and Sonic influence to it, what with the levels and songs. Then there's dem character interactions which I absolutely adore. <3 Could it be because of all the Sochi Olympics controversy (which is entirely justified)? Probably not, but it is strange still.

I wish I could buy it just to try it out, but I think the price is still a bit too steep. I'm waiting till it's about 10 quid less. I only ever bought M&S Beijing (DAY 1) and that was bare bones compared to this one!

..It's not that great to be honest.

There's a lot of minigames that focus on shoe-horning gimmicky controls instead of polishing the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

..It's not that great to be honest.

There's a lot of minigames that focus on shoe-horning gimmicky controls instead of polishing the gameplay.

Are you talking about the dream events or the normal ones? If the dream ones then thats kind of supposed to be the point.

I'm not sure how to take that comment: are you saying Russia banning same-sex couples from skating is stupid, or that people complaining about it is stupid?

He's talking about how Russia seems to be lumping anyone who does a same-sex couple as "gay". Something that is just dumb to assume in the first place.

By that logic, I guess an all-mens choir in Russia's book is a bunch of gay guys singing.tongue.png

Yeah, I meant the former if you were talking about my comment.

Although I didn't know it was imposed by the ISU. That's odd, seeing as they allowed it in the previous Winter Olympics game.

Yeah, I meant the former if you were talking about my comment.

Although I didn't know it was imposed by the ISU. That's odd, seeing as they allowed it in the previous Winter Olympics game.

They didn't. What was present in Vancouver was single figure skating but done with four characters at once. Everyone doing the same solo routine bar some minute differences is not the same thing as pair figure skating. Plus that one was limited to a dream event, not one that reflected the real life sport. 

I'm not talking specifically about Russia, I'm talking about it in general. A lot of people seem to think that two people of the same sex that happen to be very close friends are automatically gay (Ike and Soren, Sora and Riku), or things like this where anything same-sex related (two people of the same sex SKATING together) must be gay related.

For one, the International Skating Union (what ISU stands for) does not control any form of gymnastics (that's controlled by the FIG, Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique). It's a different body of people we're referring to, and it's a likely possibility that one was more lenient than the other.

Secondly, in the case of ribbon dancing, it'd be ridiculous to impose the rule because that would mean a maximum of five competitors (4 female characters + Mii). While the pair figure skating is unbalanced, it doesn't exclude any of the characters hence why they probably weren't so flexible on that one.

Let me emphasise that I'm not arguing that it was right to impose it, just that it wasn't Russia who did. I assume SEGA would have been fine with same-sex couples if it had complete control, since the Bullet Bill race (the event in the game that allows same sex pairs) has Silver and Blaze as a pair on the loading screen, and I'm pretty sure that's a romantic tease right there (as controversial that idea is to some others). 

No, I wasn't talking about you using it as an excuse to prevent it, I was talking about them.

Right. I forgot that the ISU stood for International Skating Union. Stupid me.

Are you talking about the dream events or the normal ones? If the dream ones then thats kind of supposed to be the point.

The point of Dream Events is to put a spin on the normal events.

Unless "Battle the controls!" is the new spin.

PS: These gimmicky controls also apply to the normal events.

Nintendo of Europe just announced on Twitter that you can get 30% off this game if you buy it from the eShop between tomorrow and 23:59 on Sunday.

Anyone wanting a digital copy, now might be the time!