Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

The distinct lack of new character mentions suggests to me that we'll be disappointed once again.

Edited by Blue Blood

The distinct lack of new character mentions suggests to me that we'll be disappointed once again.

Unless they have some big surprises planned, and they are waiting to show it, though they could make Marine and Cream playable, or perhaps bring back a forgotten character

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Personally, I'm quietly more confident that there will be more playables just based on how they're handling the publicity this time. When Olympic Winter Games (aka the last time we got new playables) was being publicised, we were kept in the dark for quite a while, before DK and Metal Sonic were announced, and Silver and Bowser Jr were leaked. When London 2012 was being publicised, things were transparent from the get-go, to the point that the number of characters was announced on the same day the game was, and we saw a lot more footage of stuff between then and its release. This time, it's gone back to the more hushed approach.

Of course, I could always just go and ask on the SEGA Forums. It may not work, but it's something, right?

I can't wait to see somebody post a video of a figure skating event with Bowser and Eggman.

I don't think I'll ever get used to that weird middle-mouth on Sonic.

...how well do the Mario & Sonic games tend to sell in Japan? 'Cuz on one hand, it's Mario, but on the other hand, y'know.

• 2 weeks later...

Say any news on new game modes, characters or other interesting stuff?

Pretty much nothing at this point.

The only thing we have is Champion Race Mode aka that race with the multiple disciplines in.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Ok, so here is a thought, what if they decided to add anothe sega and another nintendo francise for some bonus characters, like say Kirby on the Nintendo side(with kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede), and I dont know Jet set radio or monkey ball I quess since those have had current relevance I guess...
It could be quite interesting

That'd be more fitting for a SEGA Vs Nintendo game, which I doubt they would do due to mario already being in sports (now MAYBE a Sonic as an exclusive for a mario sports game on the Wii u due to the 3 game deal, like Banjo kazooie on SASAR on Xbox)

That'd be more fitting for a SEGA Vs Nintendo game, which I doubt they would do due to mario already being in sports (now MAYBE a Sonic as an exclusive for a mario sports game on the Wii u due to the 3 game deal, like Banjo kazooie on SASAR on Xbox)

Hmmm, so not a lot has been revealed on thsi yet, then again we still have a couple months till it comes out, but there is a decent chacne they might finally add some new characters, specialy with the new generation, so why dont we try at some speculation on posible, and unlikely canidates on the sonic side at least.. we cant say likely cause you never know
possible:
Espio, Charmy(they can do bowser jr, charmy is possible), Cream.... and thats about it for central characters cept maybe Omega, but one robot is proably enough
not out of the realm of possibility:
Marine(she did show up as a referee didnt she?).... Jet maybe, he was a spinoff character(then of course Storm and wave as well but unlikely)
Unlikely:
Tikal, Chaos 0, Big the Cat, and forgotten characters(Nack would definately be cool, or Bark and Bean XD) is about whats left, but extremely unlikely

What do you guys think?

There is almost no reason to not use the characters they already have models for (Jet, Rouge and Omega). The only thing holding them back would be an image issue as far as Rouge is concerned, but that's nothing a costume change and a PG dialog tree can't mediate.

To be honest, the Mario side might be holding up the potential roster. Outside of Dry Bowser, the extra characters already in play on that side are Bullet Bill and King Boo... two guys who probably wouldn't work as legit competitors in a game like this (although they did made Boo work in those tennis games...)

There's Birdo, the DK cast, Metal Mario and the Babies to name some that have all been used in other games.

There's Birdo, the DK cast, Metal Mario and the Babies to name some that have all been used in other games.

Diddy and Birdo are extremely likely, they are staples in party games, its surprising they havent shown up in this one yet other than is being a little more select, and Dry Bones is likely as well(and would be rather fun, I like him). Thats 3 slots already, if you just need a fourth to round it off, there is either King boo(boos have been playable in party games before) or Dixie kong(with her showing up in DCKR and being a female, its quite possible). ifthey want 4 in order to add to each class

So, on the sonic side, they could add Jet(speed) Rouge(skill), Omega(power), and Cream(all around), though then again, who knows what they could decide to add

There is almost no reason to not use the characters they already have models for (Jet, Rouge and Omega). The only thing holding them back would be an image issue as far as Rouge is concerned, but that's nothing a costume change and a PG dialog tree can't mediate.

Why would Rouge's image be a problem? If she was alright to include in the game as a rival, then her design isn't going to have any hindrance on whether or not she could be playable. 

To be honest, the Mario side might be holding up the potential roster. Outside of Dry Bowser, the extra characters already in play on that side are Bullet Bill and King Boo... two guys who probably wouldn't work as legit competitors in a game like this (although they did made Boo work in those tennis games...)

I highly doubt they would have a problem making another 3 Mario representatives when they've got a wealth of colorful characters at their disposal. What about Rosalina, or the DK crew, like Blue Blood suggested? 

Metal Mario baffled me when he was put in Mario Kart 7, and he'd be equally silly here. He's literally just Mario using a power up that he gets in one game. To be fair though, I guess he's a better idea than the goddamn bee from Galaxy.

Why would Rouge's image be a problem? If she was alright to include in the game as a rival, then her design isn't going to have any hindrance on whether or not she could be playable. 

She would be more in the spotlight as a playable character. PR gets a little bit harder to handle when you have to stick her in a bathing suit (something they will get to avoid in this iteration though).

Either way, its a simple fix. give her something cute to wear and call it a day.

Maybe people should stop making a big deal out of boobs and just let her be.

• Thumbs Up 8

She would be more in the spotlight as a playable character. PR gets a little bit harder to handle when you have to stick her in a bathing suit (something they will get to avoid in this iteration though).

Either way, its a simple fix. give her something cute to wear and call it a day.

ESRB (and I think other ratings systems) judge not only what the player does, but literally everything on the disc, regardless of whether or not it can be accessed in-game. I honestly don't believe she would affect the rating any more if she were on the cover. People tend to overstate the sexual nature of her design, it probably doesn't need to be changed at all. 

I do recall Rouge being brought up somewhere in the past. I'd have to find the qrticle to recall what it was precisely about though. 

Maybe people should stop making a big deal out of boobs and just let her be.

If only. Curse you gender norms!

Olympics has equal representation per franchise yes? Fortunately there are plenty of Mario characters to go around to keep it even.

Though I'm content with the usual cast; I'll be getting this game either way simply because I need to justify a Wii U for something besides Lost World.

What I'm really looking forward to are some awesome remixes for events. I wonder what they'll throw in this time?

I wonder if some of the music from Lost World will be used in this....