Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

That's not radical train. It's probably some generic snowboarding stage.

Its not some generic snowboarding stage, its a dream event. It comes from SOMEWHERE. Its not necessarily Radical Train, though, you're right. But there's very few stages in Sonic games with trains that I know of, and that certainly doesn't look like it comes out of a Mario game either.

I'm not confident the first dream event is Radical Highway either. It looks like it could be Speed Highway. The last time they included Radical Highway they made it much, much more obvious that it WAS Radical Highway.

Its not some generic snowboarding stage, its a dream event. It comes from SOMEWHERE. Its not necessarily Radical Train, though, you're right. But there's very few stages in Sonic games with trains that I know of, and that certainly doesn't look like it comes out of a Mario game either.

I'm not confident the first dream event is Radical Highway either. It looks like it could be Speed Highway. The last time they included Radical Highway they made it much, much more obvious that it WAS Radical Highway.

It is Speed Highway. The generations version to be exact.

Wow, that's the exact same trailer we got in July. Where's the logic in that?

And the location for the Winter Sport Champion Race is called "Mini Russia Island" according to the E3 and Gamescom demo, so it is not from the Mario or Sonic universe.

...thanks Indy, you've done what Sega and Nintendo haved failed to do and give me a reason to care about this game now :V. Infact why wasn't this in the first winter olympics anyway?

But oh man just think if the remix.... 8V

• Thumbs Up 1

A question, but does anyone know about the controls of this game yet? Will it be compatible with the Pro Controller and Gamepad, or will they still force us to use that damn Wii remote? This has potential to be the first Mario and Sonic game playable with an actual controller without gimmicks. :D

Nope. Still Wii Remote. In a GameXplain video for Lost World, Mario and Sonic is over on the other side and there's a man waggling the Wii Remote around. In the Mario and Sonic GameXplain video, they show the Wii Remote controls.

A question, but does anyone know about the controls of this game yet? Will it be compatible with the Pro Controller and Gamepad, or will they still force us to use that damn Wii remote? This has potential to be the first Mario and Sonic game playable with an actual controller without gimmicks. biggrin.png

I'm fairly sure each different event makes use of the Wii Remote and/or the GamePad in various different ways. Whether you can play them all with just one or the other though, we'll have to wait and see.

Checked my Wii U notifications and it looks like we finally have an exact release date (For NA at least):

20130919_223253_zpsa2cb50c0.jpg

Looks like we can expect it pretty soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, shit... Apparently the November 8th date was an error.

Coming from a Nintendo email...

The Nov. 8 launch date for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games that was recently listed in a Wii U notification was an error. A confirmed launch date will be announced in the future. We apologize for any confusion.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=213095

That's a bummer. Hopefully the actual date isn't that far off.

The olympics aren't even starting until Feb 7-23rd, so a release right before when the hype for the olympics if at its peak would be best. And that gives the team 3 months of extra development time.

The olympics aren't even starting until Feb 7-23rd, so a release right before when the hype for the olympics if at its peak would be best. And that gives the team 3 months of extra development time.

Yeah, honestly I never understood why they'd release the games so far from the date of actual Olympic games. Makes little sense to me if only due to there being bigger titles-rivals closer to the real event.

Edited by ArtFenix

I think it's mostly just to get more sales out of it. Release a game involving Mario and Sonic near the holidays for some of that extra holiday money from the Mario fans, Sonic fans and the casual crowd who are just looking for something simple and engaging to get for themselves or a gift for someone else.

Then they release the 3DS version much closer to the Olympics, though advertise it along with the Wii version right when the buzz for the event starts to rise for more sales. People catch air of this title again, then buy whatever version they want. It continues until the Olympics comes and ends. Then they just let sales slow down a bit once the Olympics are over, since there's no longer a reason to push it.

And since the Olympics don't really last all that long, I think they really want to make the most if it with each entry. If this game is still planned to be released in the holiday, which I think it will, I still expect them to advertise it again once the Olympics are near for some extra cash, despite it only being for the Wii U this time around.

Edited by Wonder-Unity

I think it's mostly just to get more sales out of it. Release a game involving Mario and Sonic near the holidays for some of that extra holiday money from the Mario fans, Sonic fans and the casual crowd who are just looking for something simple and engaging to get for themselves or a gift for someone else.

Then they release the 3DS version much closer to the Olympics, though advertise it along with the Wii version right when the buzz for the event starts to rise for more sales. People catch air of this title again, then buy whatever version they want. It continues until the Olympics comes and ends. Then they just let sales slow down a bit once the Olympics are over, since there's no longer a reason to push it.

And since the Olympics don't really last all that long, I think they really want to make the most if it with each entry. If this game is still planned to be released in the holiday, which I think it will, I still expect them to advertise it again once the Olympics are near for some extra cash, despite it only being for the Wii U this time around.

I have yet to hear a mumble about the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic Sochi

I have yet to hear a mumble about the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic Sochi

I didn't say anything about a 3DS version though.

In the last paragraph, I said that they still might advertise this game again near the olympics, despite it ONLY being for the Wii U. And that I still believe that the game will be released in the holiday season.

Edited by Wonder-Unity

Yeah, honestly I never understood why they'd release the games so far from the date of actual Olympic games. Makes little sense to me if only due to there being bigger titles-rivals closer to the real event.

Lets not forget that Sega also produces the official Olympic's games.

Those tend to release much closer to the real thing, and depends almost solely on the Olympic hoopla to push units. Mario and Sonic, a game that is infinitely more capable of selling on its own mascot laden merits has no need to infringe on the real deal and cannibalize the other Sega property.

Its a win-win for Sega to push this game out ahead of the Christmas rush, and leave the crumbs for the official adaption. Its a win for the Nintendo too. The WiiU needs all the games it can get this year.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Mario & Sonic has always come out in time for the Christmas rush.

The original (Beijing 2008) came out in November 2007, the first Winter Olympics (Vancouver 2010) came out in November 2009, the London 2012 edition came out in November 2011, and so I see absolutely no reason why Sochi 2014 won't be out by the end of 2013.

As Sega DogTagz says, they have the official Olympics games to coincide with the actual dates of the events, whereas the M&S series is very much about cashing in on the two popular franchises. They'd be silly not to release it in time for the holidays, and it would likely do the Wii U - and subsequently Sonic Lost World - a lot of business too.

As well as confirming the game is out in November, Nintendo UK's confirmed it'll be out on the eShop, too.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games will be released in November, both in shops and as a downloadable version from Nintendo eShop, only on Wii U.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2013/September/Visit-the-official-teaser-site-for-Mario-Sonic-at-the-Sochi-2014-Olympic-Winter-Games-on-Wii-U-813209.html

You know what I would like to see in the game? A Chemistry rating, just like in Super Mario Sluggers.

Some characters get along better than others on a team, and characters that happen to have perfect chemistry (e.g. Bowser and Bowser Jr. for example) can boost a related player's stats while playing an event.

A new trailer! With a little of that gorgeous CGI we all like so much!

Edited by Wonder-Unity
  • Thumbs Up 2

Online multiplayer...finally! Now I'm really looking forward to the game again. Also, for a second I thought Birdo was confirmed to be playable before realizing it was a rivals showdown.

By the way, are they using the in-game character models for the CGI intro? This is a bit of a shame and awesome at the same time because they look great.

Edit:Oh, Amy and Mario have seen the last trailer and are now trying to make Sonic and Peach jealous by performing on the ice together as well!

Edited by LukA8
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, online multiplayer. There is a kick in the pants this series needed.

Not looking good on the extra character front though... One can only hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

A new trailer! With a little of that gorgeous CGI we all like so much!

I don't think it's CGI. It's better than usual in-game stuff though.