Awoo.

Nintendo Exclusive for Next Three Sonic Games

Sapphire the Hedgehog

I mentioned this in a status update eariler, but I'm pretty disappointed and not happy about this and I don't care if that makes me a "butthurt" Nintendo heretic or something. It means that I will have to miss out on at least (let's be honest, who knows how deep this deal goes?) 3 games (potentially including some main series games, at that) before I ever get to play a new Sonic game.

I don't have a Wii U, I don't have room for a Wii U, I don't have money for a Wii U, and I'll have a really hard time convincing my parents to let me get yet another gaming device. Hell, I'd have a hard time convincing my own logical side that it's a good decision given that if I were asked "What would you use it for?" my response would be something along the lines of "Well, Sonic games and- UH...."

I also think it's extremely unfair and also rather rude to be referring to this opinion or people with it as "butthurt" (People have been saying it in the status updates). Get the fuck off your high horse, please. So you have a Wii U, that's great; now you don't have to worry about this. And I'm perfectly fine with that. Does that mean you get rub it in people's faces or behave tactlessly? No, because then you're being a dick. As I said above, I don't have money to spend on a $300 console just so I can play a few games from one franchise.

All that's fine and well, but you might be blowing this out of proportion.

The three game deal might sound like a slight to owners of other consoles, but as far as we know it isn't as severe as what your claiming it to be. There is absolutely no reason to get upset over the exclusivity of a Mario and Sonic game because that one had no chance of being multiplatform anyway. Right off the bat, you can slash that three game exclusive down to two. Speculation is already flying for the third unannounced game - it could be a kart crossover, or a 3DS game - which in either case would also limit the potential of going to other systems.

At the end of the day, this three game deal might be little more than a Colors / Generations split. Until we get more information on that third game, its really not much to be upset about.

Plus, Lost World may be fucking awful just like the movie. All those Wii owners that were bitching about STH '06 sure were singing a different tune after that came out.

So... that's something to hope for?

If it's bad, hell if all of them are bad, the series' reputation will be right back where it was after '06, and no Sonic fan should desire that.

• Thumbs Up 6

An honest question. Other than people who are just outright Anti-Nintendo here, lets draw up a hypothetical situation where SEGA decided it's next Sonic game isn't on the PC but was to release it as a multiplatform on all three next gen consoles.

Would you guys still be whining because SEGA put Sonic Software on an Eighth Generation console instead of the current Seventh? Or if it was as ASRT's release went, would you all just be whining in two years instead? Does this all come down to them supporting an 8thGen console, anger against Nintendo or just flat out refusal to buy a new console?

Would you guys still be whining because SEGA put Sonic Software on an Eighth Generation console instead of the current Seventh? Or if it was as ASRT's release went, would you all just be whining in two years instead? Does this all come down to them supporting an 8thGen console, anger against Nintendo or just flat out refusal to buy a new console?

Nothing to do with any of those things. I'm not angry or "whining" at Nintendo or SEGA or anyone else, I'm just disappointed that I very likely won't be able to play any of these. I don't refuse to buy a new console; I just don't have the money for something like that, and also I'll have a hard time justifying it just for one franchise.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nothing to do with any of those things. I'm not angry or "whining" at Nintendo or SEGA or anyone else, I'm just disappointed that I very likely won't be able to play any of these. I don't refuse to buy a new console; I just don't have the money for something like that, and also I'll have a hard time justifying it just for one franchise.

You might not be but god damn there's a lot of people who are. I'm in a similar situation in the end, other than I may be able to play the 3DS version, once I move out from where I live now, I actually lose access to both 7th and 8th gen (As my housemate has a WiiU) games. I'm hardly the most impressed either.

But some of the anger I've seen over this decision is absolutely daft.

Edited by DarkOverord

I'd like to point out that after these 2 games and one more, the deal will be over. Sonic will be on all platforms, including the beloved PS4, PC, and Xbox Infinity so I say calm down, you'll either buy a Wii-U or play Next-gen Sonic eventually. 

I'm pretty much the same. I'm not angry, I wouldn't deny WiiU owners their fun and I certainly don't want the game to be bad. It's just more games out on consoles I don't own. I've missed a lot of Sonic games in the past. I didn't play any of the Dreamcast games when they came out either. It's not something I will lose sleep over but at the same time...

meh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, the obnoxious people are the ones pulling stupid jabs at Nintendo (NINTENDO SUCKS!!!!11).

I'd like to point out that after these 2 games and one more, the deal will be over. Sonic will be on all platforms, including the beloved PS4, PC, and Xbox Infinity so I say calm down, you'll either buy a Wii-U or play Next-gen Sonic eventually. 

Well, technically we don't know how far this deal goes. It could be that Nintendo is buying or has already bought exclusivity rights to the franchise. I'm not saying that's the case or that it's even likely, but it's possible.

Well, technically we don't know how far this deal goes. It could be that Nintendo is buying or has already bought exclusivity rights to the franchise. I'm not saying that's the case or that it's even likely, but it's possible.

We know that the deal is for 3 exclusive Sonic games, one of which is a Mario & Sonic game.

So it could be that after one more Sonic game, even a spinoff, Sonic will be right back to being on other systems.

I doubt that's the case. There'd be a lot larger waves if that was the case, why would SEGA still pursue mobile interests if Nintendo had garnered such rights? It's likely a short term deal that will get reviewed by both parties down the line, whenever that is.

We know that the deal is for 3 exclusive Sonic games, one of which is a Mario & Sonic game.

So it could be that after one more Sonic game, even a spinoff, Sonic will be right back to being on other systems.

Yeah, I think once the deal is up that's it. I mean SEGA still has to release the Sonic 2 update on the mobile platforms, and I'm sure that the games sell decent enough on the mobile platforms in terms of ports...I doubt they'd want to give that up for giving exclusive rights to the franchise to Nintendo. Besides, even though the games don't sell as well on other consoles it doesn't mean that they don't sell. SEGA will still be putting out Sonic titles on other platforms and thats why in the end I'm not even angry about this - disappointed in that if its good I won't be playing it, but hell if I have a buddy who I can borrow from sometime like I did with the Wii and Sonic Colours I'm sure I'll get my chance someday. If not I'm sure I'll be playing a Sonic title on the PS4 or something in the future anyway haha!

It's fine if you're pissed because you can't buy a Wii U - I can't either (at least right now). But, we all knew that Sonic would jump to the next-gen soon, it just came sooner than expected. We are at that time of transition, some games are still being released for the current platforms but most of the big titles will be released on the new ones.

Also, chill out and give Nintendo a chance. There's some interesting stuff there and more will be revealed at E3.

Edited by ViniciusLC
  • Thumbs Up 4

Isnt this THAT different from what we had already had on this current gen?

I mean, on this gen, we had already a full year of two or three Sonic Nintendo exclusives. Take 2007, 3 Sonics on Nintendo Platforms, 0 on PS360. On 2009, 2 Sonics in Nintendo platforms, 0 on PS360.

This seems more like a move from Nintendo to sell more WiiUs, rather than an actual thing. It may be possible to see a new PS4720 Sonic already on 2014, like it always happened in this gen.

Edited by Ferr
  • Thumbs Up 2

Probably because Nintendo paid SEGA and Sonic tends to sell tons on Nintendo platforms.

• Thumbs Up 3

Isnt this THAT different from what we had already had on this current gen?

I mean, on this gen, we had already a full year of two or three Sonic Nintendo exclusives. Take 2007, 3 Sonics on Nintendo Platforms, 0 on PS360. On 2009, 2 Sonics in Nintendo platforms, 0 on PS360.

This seems more like a move from Nintendo to sell more WiiUs, rather than an actual thing. It may be possible to see a new PS4720 Sonic already on 2014, like it always happened in this gen.

This.

If the third game ends up as a crossover or a 3DS title, then this three game exclusive deal is just more of the same content cycle we've been getting all along. The only difference is a Nintendo exec hyped it this time around.

Probably because Nintendo paid SEGA and Sonic tends to sell tons on Nintendo platforms.

I would guess it was the other way around. SEGA Europe are only publishing PC titles now, so they're going to be look for other parties to publish Sonic games from now on. And that's all because of their financial state. So they probably approached Nintendo for this deal and then Nintendo, knowing the need all the Wii U exclusives available, jumped at the chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

So Lost World is a Nintendo exclusive?

I'm okay with this.

A new Olympic game coming out?

I'm also okay with this.

What I'm NOT okay with is the fact that Lost World is going to be for the 3DS. I'm sick of the handheld games being ports of the console games. Give me an original handheld game, goddammit. Though there's still that third game~

What I'm NOT okay with is the fact that Lost World is going to be for the 3DS. I'm sick of the handheld games being ports of the console games. Give me an original handheld game, goddammit. Though there's still that third game~

I'm gonna have to agree, getting Rush or Advance was far far better than the shoddy handheld-version-of-3D-game thing we've been getting since Colours.

I really hope I'm wrong and that the 3DS version of Lost World is fantastic :/ but I'm not really hoping.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope thee 3DS version isn't some 2.5D version like Gens was, the 3DS is more than capable for full 3D graphics! (I stil reckon SA and SA2 collection on 3DS plz!)

What I'm NOT okay with is the fact that Lost World is going to be for the 3DS. I'm sick of the handheld games being ports of the console games. Give me an original handheld game, goddammit.

While I agree in principle, I'm kind of excited by the fact that we don't yet know whether Lost World 3DS will be the usual Dimps downgrade or something more interesting.  Given the poor reviews of Generations 3DS and increasingly dominant fanbase antipathy towards Dimps, as well as the Nintendo partnership and the series's jump to at least temporary exclusivity, I'd say we're in a period of prime probability for the state of the handheld versions to be reassessed.  I certainly hope so, even if that hope ends up being crushed.

at this point I'm hoping to see a sequel to Sonic Chronicles for the 3DS. It would be a really nice addition