Awoo.

Nintendo Exclusive for Next Three Sonic Games

Sapphire the Hedgehog

So Sega goes all the way from being Nintendo's rival, to being co partners...lol Anyway, so I wonder if this is why Sega has been so hush hush on DLC for ASRT...I mean no word on anything. I ALSO wonder if the nextAll stars game will count in this deal. I really hope not. This is annoying as a Xbox Sonic player. I've been buying all the arcade/main title Sonic on this thing and then THIS is announced?! Now I have to decide on whether I want to get a PS3, or WiiU...:(

I would guess it was the other way around. SEGA Europe are only publishing PC titles now, so they're going to be look for other parties to publish Sonic games from now on. And that's all because of their financial state. So they probably approached Nintendo for this deal and then Nintendo, knowing the need all the Wii U exclusives available, jumped at the chance.

If that were solely true, why is Yakuza HD Collection now coming to Wii U? its market and its fans have always been on the PS3, there's no need for it to be on the Wii U.

Methinks, there's a been a bit of Ninty coercion going on.

Last fall, Nintendo launched the next generation of gaming consoles with the Wii U, which comes with a tabletlike controller called the GamePad. Nintendo said last March it has sold 3.45 million units worldwide, a disappointing start for the first of a new generation of gaming systems. Sega's Cheng believes bringing Sonic exclusively to the Wii U will help Nintendo.

"It should be a win-win situation," said Cheng. "Don't count Nintendo out."

http://news.yahoo.com/sonic-hedgehog-vid-games-coming-nintendo-144202899.html

If that were solely true, why is Yakuza HD Collection now coming to Wii U? its market and its fans have always been on the PS3, there's no need for it to be on the Wii U.

Methinks, there's a been a bit of Ninty coercion going on.

I was thinking on this and BlueBlood certainly pointed it out, even if he didn't mean to. SEGA lacking a publisher here in Europe means someone has to, Nintendo obviously gave the best deal while SEGA went "Well we kinda make the most money with our biggest franchise there..."

What I can't gather is why Nintendo? No hate on the royal house of VG that is Nintendo, but there's plenty of other companies SEGA can collab with and still be a success in muti-platform. Naughty Dog (which would be the most logical for a Sonic title), Rovio, WB Games etc. There's plenty out there. Don't ignore the alternatives.

You're listing developers, not publishers. That's what Sega sought out. Sonic is a strong franchise on Nintendo consoles specifically. For a company that's hurting money right now, I can't think of a better alternative.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo is paying the cost of publishing, and that's just what SEGA needs right now. Nintendo helping them with development is an added bonus, as that's just the type of publisher Nintendo is.

I'm starting to have this feeling.

Think, we know almost nothing about Smash Bros 4, but we know it is developed by namco-bandai. Namco seems to have a good relation with nintendo, and with Sega too (Project X Zone). Project X Zone is coming to the west, SEGA has this partnership with Nintendo...

what if the next Smash Bros is a Sega vs Nintendo game? If they manage to put in characters like Sonic, Mario, Link, Bayonetta and even guests like Snake, Pacman, Klonoa, Megaman and Ryu, you might have one of the greatest crossover in the history of videogaming, with the only hope for it to have a proper fighting mechanic instead of that crap of Brawl.

then put Sonic as a guest in the new Mario Kart as well as Mario as DLC for Transformed (Maybe Steve hinted at it) and this temporary phase could be a really remunerative one for Sonic, and this could set a triumphal return for the blue blur in the true next gen consoles 

then put Sonic as a guest in the new Mario Kart as well as Mario as DLC for Transformed (Maybe Steve hinted at it) and this temporary phase could be a really remunerative one for Sonic, and this could set a triumphal return for the blue blur in the true next gen consoles 

Dude, the Wii U is a "next-gen" console. Just because it'll likely be less powerful than the PS4 and the Xbox 360's successor, doesn't make this any less true.

• Thumbs Up 2

well, I don't hide the fact that I believe the WiiU to be very near to the "garbage line" to me, and I'm actually quite disgusted that I'll have to buy (or better, finding a used console, 'cause the idea of me giving money to Nintendo for their system is out of the question) that to follow Sonic.

Ok, it's been out for a few time, but there's nothing revolutionary about it, its power seems to be just 2-3 times more than PS3/360. Mario games are flat, and sales are dropping. 

what I believe is that Nintendo offered quite some money to SEGA to do this strong move, 'cause SEGA is cutting of  a very big part of its audience for at least 2-3 years.

Ironically enough, Sonic could still benefit from this. SEGA spends less on developing and acquiring licences for multi-platform titles, let Nintendo publish some of their games (cutting off serious costs) and put the hedgehog everywhere possible.

As far as we know, SEGA is not developing for PS4/XI just yet, the consoles are very little known from developers, and I bet the developing costs for the new consoles are quite high for now, mostly because these new system are entirely new and un-explored.

SEGA can't afford the risk to spend this amount of money, and their move, as much as I hate to say it, could be a smart and remunerative one.

P.S. the WiiU is formerly considered next-gen, but there's nothing "next" about it. it's more like previous-gen. That's why I consider Ps4/Xi to be the "true" NEXT-GEN consoles

Edited by BlueHedgehog92

I'm starting to have this feeling.

Think, we know almost nothing about Smash Bros 4, but we know it is developed by namco-bandai. Namco seems to have a good relation with nintendo, and with Sega too (Project X Zone).

You know what? It would not be the first time that Nintendo, SEGA and Namco combined forces. There's the Triforce Board and the partnership gave us some very interesting games at that time. Maybe Nintendo is seeking to enter in the Arcade business again?  And wasn't Mario Kart Arcade rereleased recently?

I'm probably grasping at straws here but I wouldn't rule out another SEGA developed F-Zero or things like that.

Smash Bros Arcade. Do it Nintendo.

Edited by ViniciusLC

'cause SEGA is cutting of  a very big part of its audience for at least 2-3 years.

Right, ignoring the joys of console elitism, SEGA's audience for at least Sonic has sat on the Wii. It's likely to shift to the WiiU with stronger Nintendo releases. We (The Sonic Fandom or just people complaining on the internet) aren't SEGA's biggest breadwinner.

Cutting a potential audience yes, but not it's biggest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok here's a little speculation, so we know 2 of 3 sonic games, 1: Sonic Lost World for 3ds and wii u 2: Sonic and mario winter sochi 2014 so the 3rd must be a 3ds exclusive ala rush and rush adventure, it makes so much sense.

I was thinking on this and BlueBlood certainly pointed it out, even if he didn't mean to. SEGA lacking a publisher here in Europe means someone has to, Nintendo obviously gave the best deal while SEGA went "Well we kinda make the most money with our biggest franchise there..."

That fine for Sonic, I have no qualms with that. 

But it still doesn't answer why Yakuza HD is coming to the Wii U (in japan), 1) because  don't think  the Wii U has the general audience/market for this game (given the nature of the yakuza series) and 2) Its already on the PS3, which s (and continues to) to really well over there. Thats were the bulk of there sales are, cuz thats were there market is. 

Therefore i imagine that because Yakuza is a big game/system seller in japan for the PS3, Nintendo wanted a bit of that action to boost sales for the Wii U over there and were prepared to do some "deals".

At least this exclusivity deal will be over in time for Sonic's 25th anniversary game in 2016. Hopefully SEGA will have gained some good from working with Nintendo and the anniversary game will benefit from it. Then we'll all be happy as it'll be a multi-format release.

The 25th anniversary game(s) are most likely in development already.

Plus I adore Sonic Colours. Yes I would love it in HD and on other consoles, but then Wii owners never got Generations.

Nintendo is paying the cost of publishing, and that's just what SEGA needs right now. Nintendo helping them with development is an added bonus, as that's just the type of publisher Nintendo is.

I seriously doubt they have much involvement. They have plenty of things they need to do on their own (what with Mario Kart, Mario and Smash Bros among other things), leave alone helping another development team.

Edited by Scar

Are Nintendo publishing the games in all regions?

Only in Europe (and that would include Australia too I think).

At least this exclusivity deal will be over in time for Sonic's 25th anniversary game in 2016. Hopefully SEGA will have gained some good from working with Nintendo and the anniversary game will benefit from it. Then we'll all be happy as it'll be a multi-format release.

Ding ding ding!

This is most likely what they're up to. Heroes is proof a multiplatform can sell extremely well, SEGA just doesn't have the financial resources to really justify multiplatform as the return is very low versus an exclusive.

By the time their brotherhood with Nintendo is loosened a bit in 2016, Nintendo is sure to have gone a long way towards strengthening the brand, and Sonic's reputation will have surely improved by that point that multiplatform won't be such a bad idea.

As it stands though going to whoever will pay them the most money makes sense; Generations, despite all its nostalgia and hype, didn't sell that spectacularly (or at least not as much as one would expect it to). There is clearly something very, very wrong with SEGA's marketing, and while I'm sure they'd love to reap the profits of all three consoles, it's just not feasible at the moment.

In finance and economics, this is called an opportunity cost. SEGA's losing the money of Sony and Microsoft gamers, but they're securing Nintendo's support and marketing for two years or so.

Whether that opportunity cost was worth it, only time will tell.

Given that the Wii U's sure to become a better buy as time goes on, I'm sure they aren't losing out too much in the long run.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 5

If Nintendo is only publishing the game in Europe and Aus does that not mean it's multiplatform in other regions? I'm confused...

To be fair the 3rd unannounced game could be anything, if SEGA & Nintendo pull the right moves then they'll have the consumer eating out of their hands boosting inhuman sales and getting the Wii U out of the danger zone and get people to start taking it seriously again.

Just imagine if SEGA developed a new F-Zero for the Wii U, which in later turn gets the arcade treatment, SEGA are the best of the best with arcade know how and could by Nintendo's way into the public gaming phenomenon. Not only that but Nintendo hold universally popular IP's that people have been desperate for a new instalment into the series, I can't imagine the amount of people who got excited over Sonic's inclusion in Brawl, and who went out to buy the game just to fight as the 2 characters for nostalgia sake, what if Nintendo collaborated with SEGA on a new Mario & Sonic Kart? Could that shift a good amount of sales? Or would people still get angry for including Sonic in an apparently Triple A IP.

Despite getting rid of my Wii U, I'm ecstatic at this news, even if I don't understand all the big sales numbers and how rooted SEGA are with Nintendo on this partnership, I can still see good things coming from both of their expertise, I just hope this means the Wii U will gradually increase it's appeal in the public eye, and attract more third party developers.

If Nintendo is only publishing the game in Europe and Aus does that not mean it's multiplatform in other regions? I'm confused...

My guess is SEGA will publish it elsewhere, but at the end of the day it'll still be exclusive to the Wii U. I can't think of a case where not being entirely published by the console creator meant for it being multiplatform in some areas.

There's the developers and publishers, as I recall, the former making the game and the latter actually promoting and distributing it. While SEGA's developing it Nintendo's putting their muscle behind it to market it around the world... so logically even in areas where it's self-published, they're going to suck up to Nintendo. This is how political favors work.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Simple mistake but no, it's basically which game company is "selling" it i guess, I'm not too sure myself, i know the developers make it and thats SEGA. But look at the mario & Sonic series, it's published by SEGA everywhere except for Japan, where Nintendo publish it same platforms just different companies.

Could it be described like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in England? You can go to the KK store to buy them (developed and published) but also go to the KK cabinet in a supermarket like Tesco and buy them, (KK are the developers and Tesco ect. Are the publishers)??

Could it be described like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in England? You can go to the KK store to buy them (developed and published) but also go to the KK cabinet in a supermarket like Tesco and buy them, (KK are the developers and Tesco ect. Are the publishers)??

Isn't that the same as having McDonald's in Walmart?

I guess, but isn't that a store in a store? The KK cabinet you have to pay at the Tesco counter. I'm not sure only been to America once!

Basically Sonic games are made by SEGA, and then distributed by SEGA. That's still true of this game, except in Europe where Nintendo will be handling the distribution of the game. Additionally, there's been an agreement that SEGA will make their next three Sonic games exclusive for Nintendo platforms (though I doubt that excludes mobiles).

My biggest question now is what will happen after this partnership comes to an end. With perhaps a couple of years to go anything is possible. But I can definitely see SEGA and Nintendo both being very happy to extend the partnership afterwards if it works out for both of them. This deal is quite different to the random games that have been released exclusively on Nintendo platforms before because Nintendo is actually involved.

SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced details of an exclusive partnership with Nintendo of America Inc. and Nintendo of Europe GmbH for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. The new agreement will make Nintendo consoles the number one destination for Sonic gaming over the next three titles.

They've got a vested interest this time. Unless things go sour one way or another, this could be paving the way for the future. And at this stage I really hope it is.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2