Awoo.

Nintendo Exclusive for Next Three Sonic Games

Sapphire the Hedgehog

Just about every other development studio has announce it's dropping support for the Wii-U and Sega goes and announces an exclusive deal with this and Yakuza HD.

Well, from a completely objective point of view, console support has to start somewhere, right?

On any other system, if it was losing support like crazy (like the Vita last year) then someone is going to help the first party pick it up, it always happens.

I understand the frustration but, it's not too ridiculous a thing, it's how the industry typically rolls from gen to gen. Weak systems get leg ups from devs, sometimes the ones you least expect.

I sure hope Lost World 3DS and Olympics are the other two exclusive titles. It has to be.

Can't really fault this logic, no sir, not at all. 

*SIGH*

Would you like to buy this new console? It's called the BigStationWii360. It currently has 10 games for it, 50% of which where released on other systems a few months ago.

Most third party studios have dropped support for it.

But don't worry, we think it's gonna be big.

... .. ... .. It's just a coincidence that retailers are slashing the price of the system all over the place.

So if you don't care about any franchise, I guess there's no way you'll buy a Wii U ever, then. :> Gee whiz, Iwata better resign now that there is nothing he can do, ever.

Yes because you know I totally said that didn't I...

Oh wait... No I didn't. You even quoted the full line I wrote and just chose to bloody ignore it!

The Wii-U right now has NOTHING on it. Even Wii-U owners are saying that their systems are just sat there gathering dust. Developers left and right are dropping support for the thing, so why the fuck would I suddenly say "Owww a Sonic game! I must now spend £200 just to play it!" when the system offers me absolutely nothing else of interest?

First year ps2 was so ass and sony managed to hold public opinion somehow...

I don't recall saying I brought a PS2 day one? I also don't remember retailers having to slash the price of it because the damn thing wasn't selling due to lack of games and support.

But maybe I'm wrong with all this. My argument has no logic because I'd like a console that has games and a ton of third party support which is appealing to gamers... But no, this argument doesn't have any logic according to some in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 5

BTW, isn't the third game Sonic Rush 5 Sonic: Lost World 3DS? Or does that not count?

Sonic Colours DS & Wii was counted as one game, as was Generations 3DS & HD and Unleashed SD & HD. We're definitely still waiting on the third exclusive to be announced.

How on earth did nintendo manage to dig a hole this deep without their system even being out for a year? First year ps2 was so ass and sony managed to hold public opinion somehow... 

Because the PS2's mere announcement outright killed the momentum of the only competitor it had on the market.

I sure hope Lost World 3DS and Olympics are the other two exclusive titles. It has to be.

That would mean 4, as both games are coming out on both Wii U and 3DS.

So those games count as 2 of the games, still one more to be confirmed.

We'll I won't be playing any games for a while from the franchise then. Unless something significantly changes on the WiiU front before these games are released I won't under any circumstances be buying a WiiU.

I'm shocked honestly. It'd be nice to know why they went that direction.

Edited by SkyLlama

No. Multiple SKUs don't count, or else it'd be four games. There's another exclusive Sonic game that hasn't been mentioned.

Have SEGA ever done Collector's Editions for anything other than SA2 and Generations?  I always assumed Generations' CE was quite a big fanservice to them, majority of gamers wouldn't care.

Colours, Classic Collection. There were lots more out on the continent too. But Nintendo never does them. 

Nintendo is publishing these games. Just think about the media coverage they're going to get.

Grabbing a quick quote from Retro that can explain why this is not stupid way better than I can...

You very much underestimate how much it costs to make a game multiplatform and the hit it takes when it underperforms on those systems. This is actually a rather safe bet. Let me just put it like this...

Sega isn't in a position to make another Sonic 2006 or any sort of flop. As much shit as Nintendo catches, they usually help guiding along struggling developers with their own resources to produce pretty decent titles. Fans may be pissed, but this is a necessary step.

That said, it sounds like this exclusivity only affects the yearly big boxed Sega titles (see Bayonetta and Yakuza 1&2 HD.) Everyone else will still be getting digital releases.

This catch-22 the Wii U has ended up in is just stupid. Exclusives are a good thing, no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Because the PS2's mere announcement outright killed the momentum of the only competitor it had on the market.

But why exactly? Sony had literally jack shit on the market but people were salivating at the very mention of marketing bullshit like the "emotion engine" whilst they got serving steaming crap like Shadowman 2.

It's just interesting how much the industry has changed- has everyone wizened up a little to the new console hyperbole? People seem much less interested in the potential as opposed to the reality, nowadays. 

edit: I don't really agree with the above post. It's highly unlikely that a new Sonic title would flop as hard as 06 did considering generations was pretty good and consumer faith is kind of largely restored by this point. What's more likely is this- SEGA are broke as fuck after Aliens CM and other shitty decisions and Nintendo gave em a fat sack of cash to make Wii U games. 

I will be buying a Wii U solely for this and whatever other Sonic titles they make.

I will be getting Smash Bros. 4, so that's 4 titles right there. I'll... find some way to get use out of that thing.

With Nintendo's decline, stuff like this could really help them out since it'll beef up what the Wii U has to offer. I think SEGA's going to remain third party, it'll just be a virtual second party for two years or so.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Grabbing a quick quote from Retro that can explain why this is not stupid way better than I can...

For which I point back to this:

Since the costs to port are usually much lower than the potential sales that are gained, I'd say pretty well. Closing off a revenue stream of 140 million consoles to tie yourself up with a single console with an install base that is a tenth as much and currently has a massive image problem in the industry can backfire in what should be an amazingly obvious way.

I'd be shocked if the PS2 versions of Heroes and ShtH didn't come damn close, if not outright outsold, the Gamecube versions. And while I'm sure Unwiished outsold all the other versions, did it outsell every other version combined? No chance.

Cutting off a nearly exponentially larger install base to target a much smaller one that has a higher attach rate is not "playing it safe" unless Nintendo was paying for the whole thing.

Hm, one thing I'm noticing is there are lots of people saying "no number of franchises or exclusives can make me buy a Wii U"

Regardless of the absurdity of that (and it is silly, don't get me wrong), Sonic is not a franchise that shacking up with Nintendo is going to make people buy a Wii U over if they weren't already considering one. It's going to bolster the good feelings of the people who already bought it; which is the functional end result of an increasingly large amount of Nintendo announcements lately. This is a Sonic fan site and there are already people just writing off the game because they aren't going to buy a Wii U to play it; nevermind the greater gaming public at large who would probably pick up a new Sonic game on the PS360 if it had good word of mouth or advertising but now just aren't going to bother.

• Thumbs Up 1

But why exactly? Sony had literally jack shit on the market

For one thing, they had the popularity of the PS1 going behind it. This thing was coming off the heels of a console that had a shit-ton of 3rd party support, so I guess it had brand name loyalty going for it.

The Wii U on the other hand came after the Wii which was very popular with the casual, but this same crowd can't seem to tell if it's either a new console or an add on. Meanwhile, everyone else feels like they know what to expect from Nintendo 3rd party wise so they either buy the console for 1st party exclusive or don't.

At least that's what I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, one thing I'm noticing is there are lots of people saying "no number of franchises or exclusives can make me buy a Wii U"

People aren't saying that. Even I've been quoted as saying that when thats not what I've said at all.

Imagine for a moment, todays Nintendo direct said "Sonic The Lost world will be out tomorrow."

Would it change a thing? No.

Because theres still the problem of developers not making games for it, theres still the HUGE issue of EA dropping support for it. Theres still barely ANY games out for it which are not on other systems or which havn't been out on other systems for months.

Even if todays announcement was "Final Fantasy" or "Resident Evil" or heck maybe even a Call of Duty, it would not change the fact that right now the Wii-U is not in a good shape and buying that system for a consumer at this point in it's life is shockingly risky.

Unless of course I'm wrong and I can't go through the Wii-U topic on this forum and find owners saying that their units are just sat there gathering dust?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's probably because most people want to ignore the Wii U and write it off as a failure. It's much easier to forget about it and wait until Sony and Microsoft start the "real" next-gen with the 720 and PS4. 

I don't blame them. After the Wii ending up being the most awkward underdeveloped outdated console ever that virtually everyone in the world owned there's probably a lot of bitter people not willing to invest in another Nintendo system. It doesn't help when the Wii U is giving the impression of being a "generation behind" the PS4 or being on-par with the systems out on present. Even though it's really ahead of them.

The backlash to this is similar to the backlash we saw around Bayonetta 2. Nintendo forking out for these big games to sell a system everyone thinks is meant to be DOA freaks people out. I can't buy this! The Wii U has shit games! How dare they!

Because theres still the problem of developers not making games for it, theres still the HUGE issue of EA dropping support for it. Theres still barely ANY games out for it which are not on other systems or which havn't been out on other systems for months.

Even if todays announcement was "Final Fantasy" or "Resident Evil" or heck maybe even a Call of Duty, it would not change the fact that right now the Wii-U is not in a good shape and buying that system for a consumer at this point in it's life is shockingly risky.

We'll see after E3. I agree the console is in a bad place, but I do not agree that it can't get better. 

How about the idea that Nintendo are helping to fund and develop the game? It's entirely possible.

People aren't saying that. Even I've been quoted as saying that when thats not what I've said at all.

Imagine for a moment, todays Nintendo direct said "Sonic The Lost world will be out tomorrow."

Would it change a thing? No.

Unless of course I'm wrong and I can't go through the Wii-U topic on this forum and find owners saying that their units are just sat there gathering dust?

But, like I said;

support needs to start somewhere. It won't all suddenly appear overnight.

I'll ask you, what could be done to get the Wii U more games and become a console that people are interested in because of its library? It's not going to suddenly HAVE them.

"Final Fantasy", "Resident Evil", "Call of Duty", any one of them may not make a difference, but without them there never will be a difference. Developers won't suddenly magically gain interest in the system either, people will continue dropping support until it has support. Moves like this, even if gradual, are unfortunately necessary.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well looks like I'm not going to be getting a new Sonic game for around 3 years then.

Sorry but I think this deal is completely stupid in every respect. Just about every other development studio has announce it's dropping support for the Wii-U and Sega goes and announces an exclusive deal with this and Yakuza HD.

I don't care what the franchise is, there is no way I will buy a Wii-U given it's current state.

The Wii U is pretty much in the same position right now as the 3DS was a few years back. Remember how everyone was selling their 3DS'es thinking it was going to hit rock bottom and PS Vita would beat them in sales? Well, look at them now! And about that Vita...

What I'm saying is, at least SEGA is trying their best to support the Wii U, and with other great looking games coming out on the console later this year I think EA and other third party companies will regret abandoning the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Final Fantasy", "Resident Evil", "Call of Duty", any one of them may not make a difference, but without them there never will be a difference. Developers won't suddenly magically gain interest in the system either, people will continue dropping support until it has support. Moves like this, even if gradual, are unfortunately necessary.

Well, maybe not those first two these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm tellin ya, there's only one reason this game is even being made to begin with,

jUX6dVTgGM1Yg.jpg

I can kind of understand where Hogfather is coming from; I don't think the partnership is stupid, but unless you got money coming out of your ass, nobody will buy console with virtually no games on it just because Sega decided to be bold. That's not to say the Wii U will have no games at all by the holiday, but right now they have almost no support, and just relying on Sonic to justify a purchase is pushing it. Especially if you're not interested in Nintendo's main IP's.

Me myself, I'm not getting a Wii U for this, and I don't care if its the greatest Sonic game ever made. When I buy a console, I plan on playing more than one game.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, maybe not those first two these days.

The first two are more likely to chase people away, honestly...

I'm aboard Hogfather's train. Tho, I don't think it was a stupid move, now that people already showed "numbers", I see SEGA made the right decision in slowly giving us the news that "Sonic now belongs to Nintendo". SEGA supported multi-consoles over the years, but they always got bigger profits from Nintendo consoles than all the other consoles together.

Some can also say, Sonic will fit Nintendo better, especially because he fits Nintendo IPs better. Apparently, there's no more way Sonic to compete with shooters on the Xbox and PlayStation. And since Mario and Sonic are now a "team", it's obvious that Sonic will eventually become one of the top seller franchises on the Wii U, right after Mario, Pokémon or Zelda.

I'm not happy about my situation, but now I realized and I can sadly say, I'm happy for SEGA and Sonic, I think this deal will work strongly well for them.

It finally happened, so good luck, SEGA. Just keep this hedgehog running.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2