Awoo.

Story Speculation Topic

slam422

I want a good ol' fashioned Sonic story for this one.  Sonic and Tails go up to Lost Planet World for whatever reason, and Knuckles is already there for his own reasons (like Ragna said).  Eggman and Metal Sonic are there finding a way to...I dunno...make the planet build Eggmanland for them, since that seems to be Eggman's focus.

At some point you'd have to fight Metal, who would have Amy in his clutches (yaaaaaaay CD references) and then she'd join your "party" too.

A story set-up like that would be delicious.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it'd be kinda cool if these alleged guardians were actually Sonic's friends, kidnapped and used by Eggman/{insert anatgonist here} to bring the lost world to Sonic's world. If Eggman were the cause, it could end up being directly related to his escape from the White World

So say, having 6 others like Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Shadow, Rouge and maybe Big or a Chaotix member like Vector/Espio as the "guardians" that would need to be saved from the world (possibly with Boss Battles against manipulated/transformed versions of them caused by the world's influence) and then maybe have them join your party (If Sonic Team would really be willing to have 8 playable characters this time around).

Sure it's a bit farfetched but I thought it could be cool

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally want to know the roles of these supposed guardians, and what exactly are they guarding. Does this lost world have a secret that must be hidden? Is it connected to its hexagonal appearance? 

As for Eggman, I doubt they're really going to elaborate on him escaping the White World, especially since its mostly just a gag. It'll probably get mentioned in passing before they completely ignore it.

Hmm, six guardians...does that mean we're only going to get Six levels, with one seventh and final level?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about that, too.

I mean, looking at this planet, it doesn't look like there could be much to guard, but you should never judge a book by its cover...

I just hope whatever plot we get, its at least told competently; it makes use of all its plot points, fleshes out the new characters if there any, humor that feels natural and not like it was read from a children's cartoon, building on the character interactions from Colors, and has a satisfying build up and conclusion.

But since god hates me, I expect I'm not getting any of this and we'll probably just get something with about as much plot as Colors and that's if we're lucky.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just hope whatever plot we get, its at least told competently; it makes use of all its plot points, fleshes out the new characters if there any, humor that feels natural and not like it was read from a children's cartoon, building on the character interactions from Colors, and has a satisfying build up and conclusion.

But since god hates me, I expect I'm not getting any of this and we'll probably just get something with about as much plot as Colors and that's if we're lucky.

The guardians will probably have as much personality as the Generators from Colors. :\

The guardians will probably have as much personality as the Generators from Colors. :\

Generic mooks that Sonic will spout unfunny jokes out, probably.

The optimist in me is hoping I'm wrong on my expectations tho.

Er, I've been hearing about these "Guardians" for a while now, but I've actually yet to see any official stuff mentioning them. Can someone tell me where this info came from & direct me to it?

Apparently the news was leaked on facebook by accident before the reveal where it mentioned all this guardian talk, sadly it was taken down swiftly and only viewable on the mobile site or something along those lines. 

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know; makes me even more curious as to how it all fits together now!

Oh, I hadn't thought to connect the number of the guardians with the hexagonal tiles.  There could be a motif of the number six throughout the game, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were just six sides to each module and six guardians.  Presumably they're just the guardians of each of the six terrain types, "zones," if you will, and guarding them against whatever caused their world to become lost in the first place.  Or guarding the lost world's secret, more simply.  I mean, it obviously has a secret, or else it wouldn't be a modularly-constructed lost planet in the sky.  If the description of them as having a "cartoony" Rayman-like appearance is correct, probably they're just a bunch of robots or a new magical Sonic race.

Yes, the more I think about it, the very nature of the game suggests that the plot is unlikely to be particularly deep unless it genuinely is tied to the distant past of Sonic's world.  If there's no Echidna connection, probably there's no connection to anything else, and the story will be as detached from the Sonic universe as Colours.

WIth the 6 guardians, it sounds like it's gonna be another Colours/Unleashed where it's essentially "find/destroy/defeat the *recurring thing/creature* in each level". Unleashed had you finding the Gaia temples, Colours had the generators. Maybe there will be more levels like in Unleashed though, which would mean some levels would be irrelevant unless there's more of a story to tie them in (like how Empire City added nothing to the plot).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the more I think about it, the very nature of the game suggests that the plot is unlikely to be particularly deep unless it genuinely is tied to the distant past of Sonic's world.  If there's no Echidna connection, probably there's no connection to anything else, and the story will be as detached from the Sonic universe as Colours.

The story doesn't need to tie back to Sonic's world to be deep, it can just be deep and self-contained.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The story doesn't need to tie back to Sonic's world to be deep, it can just be deep and self-contained.

Fair point, "deep" wasn't really what I meant.  A better word would have been "embedded"; especially now that we see what the guardians look like, my impression is that this will be a game with limited implications for the wider Sonic "canon," unless the Chaos Emeralds become involved as a plot point.  It's more as a corollary of that that I don't think the plot will be particularly deep; the admittedly highly limited evidence provided so far, which nonetheless is all that we are able to judge from, suggests that the plot will be based around entirely fresh elements with no connection to the wider series.  If Sonic Team didn't want to exploit continuity and canonical integrity in designing the setting and main characters of the game, that suggests to me that they don't regard the story as being particularly important.  My prediction at this point is the Colours project taken to the next stage; that is, a story that has even less to do with established canonical elements than Colours did.

My quote from "Lost World Announced" topic, seemed more relevant here:

This is about as likely as us ever getting a Shadow game again, but what if - just what if - This Lost World turns out to be some kind of gateway to an alternate universe, and the Sonic and Tails we see in the photo are not the Sonic and Tails we've been following since the Genesis Era? This Sonic and Tails live in a universe where Eggman never existed (or at least was a small time crook or a teacher or something), and Eggman, upon getting out of the White World, decides that if he can't take over his own original universe, he'll just take over this new one, where he'll have the element of surprise and get the jump on the alternate universe Sonic and Tails?

It's kind of a like a soft reboot that ties the old world to the new, while also acting as a fresh start for the franchise?

It's unlikely I know, but eh, I'm bored enough to throw out a theory or two right now.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Here's what I hope happens:

The tititular Lost World appears from another galaxy. Sonic, being the adventurer and thrill-seeker that he is, goes up to investigate it. Meanwhile, the six guardians of the planet are confused that over 2/3 of their planet has up and gone and want answers. Who should arrive but the prophesised hero of the planet's past, the one who will show up to fix the planet and restore it to peace, a true blue hero...

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

It was actually HE who brought the planet into Sonic's galaxy (whether indirectly via his shenanigans in Generations or something else) and took the missing parts of the planet for... some insidious scheme (maybe he wants Eggmanland to be a full-blown planet now, at the centre of a galactic empire), but the guardians don't know this. He tells them that "a blue hedgehog" did it, anticipating (correctly) that Sonic will interfere. The guardians, understandably livid, agree to help the "Hero of Legend Past" destroy the hedgehog (and gain snazzy black trousers/boots from this alliance).

So Sonic has to stave off the forces of the six guardians, piecing together what happened (though the black leg attire may be a big giveaway for Sonic) and ultimately sets everything hunky-dory.

And as a plot twist, at the end though the guardians thank Sonic for his help and kicking Eggman's arse again, his dreams of galactic conquest have tempted them to give it a shot, starting with their own galaxy. They leave stating that when they next meet, Earth will be theirs. And they do this right before they warp away, making them the biggest trolls in the franchise.

Gives us some non-Eggman-or-one-shot villains at the very least.

I'm willing to bet none of the above aside from the beginning will actually happen though.

I'd actually like this Lost World to be Little/Miracle Planet that had even more secrets than we were initially aware of in CD, the Guardians being one of those secrets. Kinda akin to how there were more secrets of Angel Island than we initially knew back in S3&K.

I mean, come on, I'm not the only one here who wants a more world building and cohesion to this continuity, am I?

Everyone is saying how Eggman will still be in the White World, but I doubt that'll be the case. They wouldn't get rid of him! All the games that haven't had him in them have been pretty bad so I doubt Sega would take such a risk.

My idea would be that Sonic and Tails get lost in a storm and escape from it to find The Lost World, there they find Eggman and he is trying to use the Guardians of The Lost World. The duo find out that he used them to escape from the White World and it caused the storm, this also caused The Lost World to begin to break. Now Sonic and Tails have to stop him!

I'd actually like this Lost World to be Little/Miracle Planet that had even more secrets than we were initially aware of in CD, the Guardians being one of those secrets. Kinda akin to how there were more secrets of Angel Island than we initially knew back in S3&K.

I mean, come on, I'm not the only one here who wants a more world building and cohesion to this continuity, am I?

Yeah got to admit it crossed my mind.

Also why i had that strange idea that maybe those 6 guardians will attack Sonic because they think its Metal Sonic. 

Since at first glance the world doesn't seem so advanced right? Just thowing out that idea...

Eggman will be there along with Metal Sonic and do their worse or something. I don't know...probably far fetched

Edited by frokenok3

Sonic & Tails are out adventuring as per usual and come across this planet in the throws of falling apart. They decide to investigate.

Meanwhile Eggman has already found the planet beforehand and has set about conquering it. Deconstructing it to build a new planet sized death weapon of imense power. Finding the planets power core he breaks it open, letting out six dark shadowy beings that take on the forms soon to be teased. Having been in proximity to Eggman they take on his "black pants" look from the pic we have.

Eggman upon learning Sonic has arrived sends the beings to each corner of the planet to stop Sonic from foiling his plans and getting to his main base of operations.

Sonic meets the indigenous creatures the Mips who tell him that their princess Tiara has been kidnapped by the first of the shadow creatures. Sonic rushes to save her and finds her suspended above a pit of spikes, dashing to the rescue he saves her. But surprise, the rope was poisoned by the being and he needs to race against the clock to defeat the shadow creatures, stop Eggman, save the Lost World and gather the antidote ingredients to save Tiara's life, and his own....and...bahahaha...sorry I couldn't keep a straight face for long. This story degenerated into madness very quickly :P

From IGN:

The story itself is, as you’d expect, remarkably simple. Sonic is chasing his longtime foe, Eggman, and encounters a mysterious floating island known as “Lost Hex.” It’s here where Sonic will run across the “Deadly Six” that SEGA has already teased, and Iizuka noted these foes will bring a “sense of danger and humor” to the story.

Well looks like Eggman made it out of the white void after all (doubt they're gonna explain how he got out though). Here's to hoping that Orbot and Cubot are in the game.

Also:

Speaking of playing as Sonic, while the iconic hedgehog is the only character players will directly control, friends such as Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make appearances in the story.

HELL YES.

Keep in mind they were also in Generations...and we all know how that turned out. I want them to actually do something and not just stand around and comment on the scenery.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay, so here's a twist: the badniks are all much more "classic" than recent designs, because it was Classic Eggman/Robotnik who escaped the void and ended up in the "future".

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind they were also in Generations...and we all know how that turned out. I want them to actually do something and not just stand around and comment on the scenery.

I'm just hoping Knuckles won't be the butt monkey this time around.

I'm just hoping Knuckles won't be the butt monkey this time around.

I've accepted this honestly. I just want him to do something beside be a butt monkey.