Awoo.

Gameplay Speculation Topic

Chaos Warp

We have a story speculation topic, so now let's have a gameplay one: Any predictions, hopes, or ideas about the gameplay in Sonic: Lost World? Myself, I have a few predictions. 

The "new gameplay" that was talked about by the SEGA of America person could mean many things. It could mean just some tweaks to the current Modern style, which I'd be fine with. Design the levels like Seaside Hill, Sky Sanctuary, and Planet Wisp (well the first 3d section of it) Modern, and you'd be golden. And of course, tweak the controls even more, nerf the boost some more, and add more focus on level-specific gimmicks. 

Now, if what he said meant a completely new gameplay style, I don't have much to say on that......but I feel the Spin Dash would be included. It's a very iconic move and quite a few fans want it back. All I ask is that it's not broken like SA1. Honestly if it's a new style I'd be up for anything as long as it's fun, good, and feels Sonic-y.

Now, this is probably an unrealistic desire considering Sonic Team, but I hope Tails is playable in this game. It would be a good way to have the gameplay segway into a story in which he takes a more active role, and...well...I wanna play as someone other then Sonic. I'm not holding my breath for this though. 

Thoughts? Discuss!

This topic will be kinda irrelevant by the 29th or if they're generous, by monday, lol.

This topic will be kinda irrelevant by the 29th or if they're generous, by monday, lol.

Well it's not Monday yet is it?

Also on Monday we're probably just gonna get a CGI teaser ala Generations anyway.

But back to topic. 

The gameplay will hopefully be Something without the boost I hope. I've gotten to tired of the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm interested by what they mean by "all new". Hopefully it'll promote a bunch of replayability.

• Thumbs Up 1

I called it in the main topic and also a status.

The little world there is the whole game. No levels, just "regions". You gotta clear areas that help the world grow tile by tile, and help the planet natives. You'll be able to boost literally, around the world. The Tornado is there for fast travel.

That's my crazy theory. Round-world Sonic game has been a fantasy of mine for years.

Edited by American Ristar

Well, I guess I'll rescue my blind hypothesis from the depths of the other topic then.

So I've been thinking.

The game will have to take advantage of the Wii U Gamepad and the extra screen on the 3DS, and the first thing that comes to mind for me is a map screen.  But the problem is that Sonic games generally don't call for maps, which gave me an idea.  I highly doubt this is actually going to happen, but what if the idea behind the game is a more open, explorable game world that can rearrange itself?  The individual sections of the world remain consistent, but the way they connect to each other changes over the course of the game.

Crazy long shot I know, but, well, it's a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really have a whole lot of hope for the gameplay. Most likely they're going to keep rolling with the same boost gameplay, just with some minor tweaks and maybe a gimmick.

What I'd like to see...well, pretty much what I always say I'd like to see.

And I really don't know what to say about the hexagons.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm all for new gameplay, characters and bringing Sonic's friends back, lets see if SEGA are truly moving forward and see if they can resist slapping a Greenhill/Seaside Hill/Splash Hill level in the fucking game.

Until then I'm not holding my hopes high until I see some gameplay.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm all for new gameplay, characters and bringing Sonic's friends back, lets see if SEGA are truly moving forward and see if they can resist slapping a Greenhill/Seaside Hill/Splash Hill level in the fucking game.

Until then I'm not holding my hopes high until I see some gameplay.

Considering the amount of green on that world, this is a foregone conclusion.

That doesn't exactly make it a "Lost World" though when he's been there does it?

You'll start the game on seaside hill, and 10 seconds in the entire stage will blow up,tails will catch you on the tornado, and you'll fly to this new planet, where you'll start the REAL first stage, "not checkered stage hill."

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm myself wondering how they're going to use the Gamepad.

I'd expect it to be used for navigating menus and the hub world (including piecing it together; American Ristar may well be right on the money there), playing mini-games, asymmetrical multiplayer, off-screen singleplayer, that kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly, this is going to be a massive Jurassic Park crossover.

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly, this is going to be a massive Jurassic Park crossover.

No lie this is the 78th time I heard this joke, and it's making me insane!

• Thumbs Up 6

did they ever say the game was going to be 3d? or just a new action adventure? judging by the tornado, its possible itll be a new 2d game...

I just hope that they won't force a silly gimmick on the GamePad. Navigating menus and other stuff is fine, but it should be optional during gameplay. For example, say you're running through a level, you stop and use the GamePad to go into a POV mode and look around for hidden items or something (then again, that sounds like it'll break the flow of the game).

Or have something like Boost Mode from NSMB, a second player can assist you by placing extra platforms in the level.

Edited by TheCakeMiester

"With 'Sonic Lost World,' we're going to introduce new gameplay and enemies, which is always fun," said John Cheng, president and chief financial officer of Sega of America Inc. "In terms of Sonic and his friends, he'll have his same friends there, and I think there'll be some new ones as well. It's not a reiteration. It's going to be all new."

I honestly don't read that as saying "we'll be changing the gameplay style" at all. Colours introduced new gameplay in the form of the Wisps. So yeah, not getting my hopes up. But I do of course want other characters playable. Seriously. 

I am the same as some other people. I don't think they are changing the current gameplay style. They probably gonna make some tweaks and stuff but nothing really major.

Now why he goes and says that "we're gonna introduce new gameplay"

Personally i take it more like they are gonna introduce Tails new gameplay OR this new gameplay involves Tails following Sonic around this time helping him with some stuff

I hope they don't do what they did with secret rings and use the gimmick (motion controls in the Wii's case) because they feel like they should, if the Gamepad doesn't fit SEGA just don't use it

I really hope they DON'T remove the boost, actually. Tweak the gameplay, sure, but I dread a return to the experimental pre Unleashed era. Don't fix what ultimately isn't broken, just isn't to the taste of older fans.

just isn't to the taste of older fans.

Speak for yourself.

New generation = new gameplay formula. It has been almost five years since Unleashed. I look forward to seeing what else the series can accomplish.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It's been almost five years, time to throw away everything that worked for a vague ideal of "new"! Oh? What's that? People are bashing it and asking why we didn't stick with what worked?"