Awoo.

Gameplay Speculation Topic

Chaos Warp

Increasing critical praise would say otherwise, for the majority of people at least.

Nothing about the boost gameplay really worked.

I wouldn't say it "didn't work" but rather it served its purpose.

"It's been almost five years, time to throw away everything that worked for a vague ideal of "new"!

Who's to say a new gameplay style wouldn't be better than the old? SEGA has improved over the years, and now Nintendo is backing them up.

Oh? What's that? People are bashing it and asking why we didn't stick with what worked?"

I highly doubt people would react like that, but if so; why should the series be restricted to a limited gameplay style due to a few ignorant people? SEGA isn't in the state that they were in seven years ago.

Increasing critical praise would say otherwise, for the majority of people at least.

Because people look at how fast Sonic goes and think to themselves "ZOMG SO KEWL" and then play the game once or maybe twice before stopping.

Not saying this applies to everyone, but that's how me and another friend of mine felt. I've barely touched Generations since completing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

>A few ignorant people

I... were you around in 2006? Were you there to see the public image of the games? Were you there to see how the current gameplay turned things around? It's not a few ignorant people, it's the majority of people who play these games. Don't let hyper-concentrated opinion-aggregators like forums trick you.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nothing about the boost gameplay really worked.

What do you mean? It all worked. The dash panels, invisible walls and scripted paths made damn sure of that. 

After seeing that lone screenshot of the "Lost World", I'm in two minds about how this game will go.

fullmap.jpg

From the way it's all laid out, I have to wonder if it might be hinting at something a bit more open-ended than we're used to. After completing the volcano area, you might head towards the forest or the ice area depending on paths you chose. The would be fantastic, and for such I'd expect the standard gameplay to be vastly different to Unleashed and the like. But that's just pretty baseless guessing.

On the other hand this game could very easily be Unleashed 4.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Improving over '06 isn't exactly impressive. I don't want this series to be just a fancier Sonic Dash.

• Thumbs Up 2

>A few ignorant people

I... were you around in 2006? Were you there to see the public image of the games? Were you there to see how the current gameplay turned things around? It's not a few ignorant people, it's the majority of people who play these games. Don't let hyper-concentrated opinion-aggregators like forums trick you.

Did you ever think that the primary reason everyone likes the current gameplay is because 06 was so incredibly shitty? Of course people are going to love it, in addition to being the primary thing most people will love about Sonic, going fast. None of that however makes the gameplay itself particularly fun, at least long term in my eyes. Restricted level design, boring corridors, etc, etc,.

If you like the Modern gameplay and think its amazing, then good for you however that doesn't mean I have to like it or want to see it change.

• Thumbs Up 1

>A few ignorant people

Yes I was. Though you aren't getting my point. A new gameplay formula could very well end up being much better than the old. If it is and those people react like that then are they really worth it?

I don't agree that it's the majority. Most who I've talked to are open to change. With SEGA improving and Nintendo backing them up, who's to say it wouldn't be for the better?

I dunno, man. In 20 years of history, they haven't shown any indication that attempting massive changes work, instead going from mediocre to bad. Adventure style could've been good, but they started focusing on change yet again and WHOOP WHAT A SURPRISE it sucked. So I don't understand, how considering their historial, people can be willing to risk asking for different gameplay instead of asking for the current, working one to improve.

Because when they change it, it's going to be awful.

What do you mean? It all worked. The dash panels, invisible walls and scripted paths made damn sure of that. 

After seeing that lone screenshot of the "Lost World", I'm in two minds about how this game will go.

fullmap.jpg

From the way it's all laid out, I have to wonder if it might be hinting at something a bit more open-ended than we're used to. After completing the volcano area, you might head towards the forest or the ice area depending on paths you chose. The would be fantastic, and for such I'd expect the standard gameplay to be vastly different to Unleashed and the like. But that's just pretty baseless guessing.

On the other hand this game could very easily be Unleashed 4.

Or it could be New Super Sonic Bros. U

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno, man. In 20 years of history, they haven't shown any indication that attempting massive changes work, instead going from mediocre to bad. Adventure style could've been good, but they started focusing on change yet again and WHOOP WHAT A SURPRISE it sucked. So I don't understand, how considering their historial, people can be willing to risk asking for different gameplay instead of asking for the current, working one to improve.

Change is what brought us the boost gameplay in the first place. If you think that works, then why is an attempt at trying something different again automatically doomed to fail?

Edited by Pawn

Just build off Generations. Look how good that game went from Unleashed. There's nothing so terribly wrong with the formula, tweak it along the way, we don't want EXPERIMENTATION ERA. We need an AWESOME ERA. And for that, it doesn't have to be the formula that changes, moreso how it keeps getting better, how the game gets better, how the story... you know what I mean.

Just don't waste so much effort. AND USE THE HEDGEHOG ENGINE. Those visuals. It may be outdated since it doesn't render GIA by itself BUT CONCENTRATE ON THE GAME. Yeah.

Well yeah.

EDIT: Scar, well, Sonic Team have always been a bit more creative than Nintendo...

Edited by Faseeh

Because they had one, two, around three games preparation and evolution for the boost. Rush introduced it, 06 showed what not to do, Secret Rings further worked it, and finally Unleashed codified it. It was a gradual change that even then didn't work perfectly, since there was the Werehog gameplay and other cumbersomenesses.

And now it's finally getting almost fully finetuned with Generations and Colours. 

I still don't want it to go to waste.

Oh no change is bad! Unleashed must be a terrible game, with all the changes they made compared to '06...
  • Thumbs Up 6

Dimps's Sonic games have hardly changed one iota of their gameplay, creativity, level design, and -in terms of Sonic 4- music compositions and physics engines since 2010, and yet they are -still- awful.

Edited by Gabe

I think it's time for the series to attempt some more nonlinear level design in 3D. The Classic's had some wonderfully complex level design, and even though its harder to translate that into 3D, I know it's possible. I'm convinced SEGA has the talent to do a more open Sonic game and with Nintendo's involvement, I think it's all a matter of whether that's the direction they want to take the series. Lost World sounds like it has the potential to be the best 3D Sonic game yet if they're willing to take some risks rather than playing it safe with another Unleashed-style game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am expecting a New Super Mario Bros U game style.

9 worlds(8 zones and 1 superstar road)

Castles are guarded by Random Evil Sonic Characters and Rivals( possibility to introduce new bad guys)

Towers are guarded by Badniks and the Leader of that Badnik Group

World 8 will be a boss battle with a giant Metal Sonic and Amy Rose(stuck in a cage, waiting for Sonic to rescue her)

Every form that Sonic previously got will be a powerup (Werehog, Excalibur, and any other forms)

Opening cutscene will be Sonic having a chili dog party with his friends. 

Mini-games will consist of catching Nack to get the sol emeralds back for Blaze

Boss Battles in the castles will give you 1 of the seven chaos emeralds. 

Castles are guarded by Random Evil Sonic Characters and Rivals( possibility to introduce new bad guys)

World 8 will be a boss battle with a giant Metal Sonic and Amy Rose(stuck in a cage, waiting for Sonic to rescue her)

Every form that Sonic previously got will be a powerup (Werehog, Excalibur, and any other forms)

This is not an expectation.  This is a fanboy fantasy.  

• Thumbs Up 1

... Okay, I can see how this game can come across as being somewhat "New Super Mario Bros-esque," just going by the promo image. However, this? This is just ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 5

I really hope they DON'T remove the boost, actually. Tweak the gameplay, sure, but I dread a return to the experimental pre Unleashed era. Don't fix what ultimately isn't broken, just isn't to the taste of older fans.
Okay 1. Like many have said before, this change could end up being better than the boost gameplay if they decided to do so. They have Nintendo on their side so if they have their foot in the project, that will probably help greatly. 2. The Boost was fun when it was first used in Unleashed,but honestly it's gotten REALLY boring. What was added to the boost that made it more interesting in Generation? It was more of the same from unleashed. The boost in itself hasn't really changed, and because of that its gotten old. The boosts presence basically forces the developers to create a level design that keeps the boost as the core feature for most of the level. 3. Old gamers? Hardly, it's a legit complaint from many. Not just the "OLDSCHOOL CLASSIC FANS!!"
  • Thumbs Up 2

The critically acclaimed boost gameplay is unsustainable. They will have to change it eventually, so why not at the turn of a new Generation?

• Thumbs Up 1

The critically acclaimed boost gameplay is unsustainable. They will have to change it eventually, so why not at the turn of a new Generation?

Because they might fuck up and shoot down Sonic straight to the pits of hell in the eyes of the public again?

And they can make it more sustainable by tweaking it from game to game.