Awoo.

Sonic Retro Member Cody "Polygon Jim" Lawrence has passed away.

goku262002

What an awful way to go and at 21 too! D: RIP, Jim.

Please people, from a fellow driver, wear your seatbelt! It will help save your life. Take it from someone who's been in several accidents.

• Thumbs Up 3

I never knew him personally but I have seen some of his posts on Retro and his Sonic Generations videos. I was shocked to hear of this on Twitter this morning.

R.I.P., Polygon Jim.

I might not have known him on the forums but I have seen some of his posts as well the works that he did.  Death at 21 years of age is far too soon and I hope his family and friends are doing alright.  Always put your seatbelt on as soon as you get into your vehicle before setting off.

I... felt really bad. I got this news pretty early, from one of his closest friends but the guy didn't say what or who was involved. I felt sad as a fellow human being.

Today, then did I get to know who it was. I got to know a lot of his friends, I just feel bad for never talking to this guy even once.

I'll miss you Jimmy. I... really will.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that only a few days ago before yesterday would I see some new posts by him on Retro, to just suddenly hear his death, is just horrible to hear.

I don't know him personally, but the fact that not only did I enjoy his work, but that he was quite young; is just saddening to hear this, and a death that as most would say: Would've been prevented by a seatbelt, is horrible to know how it must of felt to go through such an end.

Rest in piece, Cody.

This is very sad to hear, and for it to happen at such an age as 21 is even more of a tragedy; that's around the time when the years of effort spent preparing to enter the "real world" are over, and it just feels so awful to know that all of that just ended up being a waste. Motor vehicle safety is something that should always be taken seriously; moving at high speeds in a metal box is dangerous, especially if there's nothing protecting your body from sudden changes in velocity (like a seatbelt). 

(I hope this made sense. It is very late early here)

• Thumbs Up 2

This struck me quite hard emotionally, even though I never personally knew the guy, but it again proves we live with death by our sides as depressing as that sounds. I feel emotionally bad for his loved ones and close friends, heck, everyone who knew him in general!. This again proves why you should wear a seatbelt at all times, because how small the chance of an accident may seem, that small chance can still be the difference between life and death. I give my condoleances to all his loved ones, friends, family, everyone.

RIP our loyal Tech Member, Jimmy.

RubyEclipse, I know you're out there reading this message right now, and I know you're Jimmy's friend. Get an "In loving- memory of Jimmy" message in the credits of the American release of the next Sonic game. He was an integral part of the Sonic fan community, and the scene is going to be deeply hurt by the loss of him.

I just saw this over at Retro from ShadowsofYesterday. If this really happens, I'm sure a lot of us will be happy.

Even a mention of Jimmy or his real name, would be remembered forever.

Edited by Faseeh
  • Thumbs Up 3

I didn't know him personally but I knew of him and his Retro work.

This is really tragic. My thoughts go to his family and those who knew him.

I'm also one of the people who never met the guy but I was a big follower of his works and all the achievements he made (and helped with) in the hacking scene.

Kind of makes me wish I could remember him for other things, like his personality or his odd sense of humor (that i've seen being mentioned a few times already) but we never crossed paths.

May he rest in peace, and my condolences to his family and friends.

I feel sad about it, but at the same time, he brought it upon himself. He should have worn his seatbelt. From his YouTube comments, he looked like an arse but I don't think now is a good time to talk about him, when to me, he doesn't look like a nice person.

Anyway, rest in peace, you went too young.

Naah, Crash. He was actually a really nice guy and it was just way of humour. He really meant no harm.

• 4 years later...

Bumping this because Sonic Mania did something really awesome to Honor Jim today.

Bit of spoilers about one of the bosses but I think its worth it to see.

Quoted from Hinchy at Retro:

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

from the digital manual:

Posted Image
Posted Image

from in-game:

Posted Image
IT EVEN JUMPS LIKE JIMMY'S HACK'S MOTOBUG

SONIC MANIA TEAM, I FUCKING LOVE YOU

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME

I CRIED

This is seriously one of the sweetest, coolest, most awesome things I've ever seen happen. You rule. I love you. Fuck.

This was really truly awesome to see. Thanks Taxman and Stealth, Jim would've loved this.

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Bumping this because Sonic Mania did something really awesome to Honor Jim today.

Bit of spoilers about one of the bosses but I think its worth it to see.

Quoted from Hinchy at Retro:

This was really truly awesome to see. Thanks Taxman and Stealth, Jim would've loved this.

Oh that explains the Motobug. Felt really random when I saw it on the leaked stream.

That's so sweet though. Props to SEGA and the Mania team for that reference. 

I got the reference as soon as I saw it. That's a tribute done right. Well done, guys.