Awoo.

What kind of music do you want in this game, and who'd you want to compose it?

Shiny Gems

I would rather this game not be filled with genero-rock and electric guitars, nor do I think that a Galaxy rip-off would be well suited either. Something bouncy, catchy and fun is required. Whoever did the S3&K or Ristar's OSTs, if they're still in the business, maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1

I would rather this game not be filled with genero-rock and electric guitars, nor do I think that a Galaxy rip-off would be well suited either. Something bouncy, catchy and fun is required. Whoever did the S3&K or Ristar's OSTs, if they're still in the business, maybe?

In that case you'd want some of these fellas:

Brad Buxer

Cirocco Jones

Michael Jackson

Sachio Ogawa

Masaru Setsumaru

Yoshiaki Kashima

Tatsuyuki Maeda

Tomonori Sawada

Masayuki Nagao

Jun Senoue

Miyoko Takaoka

Masanori Hikichi

Yep you guessed what i did...tongue.png

Edited by frokenok3

Tomoko Sasaki handled Ristar's music. She's also done some stuff for Sonic Team, including Burning Rangers and NiGHTS. I would honestly love for her to work on a Sonic game, she's right up there with Kumatani as one of my favorite game composers, and it kills me that she's never contributed anything meaningful to the series because I think her style would be perfectly suited for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, the trailer theme's taken from another song, so don't worry. I'd bet there isn't a single person in Sega's sound team who does music like that, anyway - Not even Cash Cash... Right?

Just in case it hasn't been shared let me confirm this:

I'm really hoping there's an actual main vocal theme. Generations and All Stars Racing Transformed made use of non-Sonic music for their commercials and didn't really have much in the way of original music. I'm really hoping Lost World doesn't follow this formula and they just haven't decided to reveal the actual theme song yet.

I mean c'mon. Vocal themes have been a tradition more or less nonstop since 1998. If they break it I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 1

"What kind of music do you want in this game, and who'd you want to compose it?"

I'll be happy if it's anything like the Sonic Colours soundtrack really with Tomoya Ohtani and Kenchi Tokoi making some fantastic music and maybe some Richard Jacques with Jun Senoue collab once again like in Sonic Generations but I mainly want to see Tomoya & Kenchi over see the soundtrack once again.

I mean c'mon. Vocal themes have been a tradition more or less nonstop since 1998. If they break it I'm going to be very disappointed.

Sonic Generations didn't feature any new vocal themes so in sense the tradition was broke.. I do hope the sound team will do an instrumental theme than a vocal one.
Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for a mix of Naofumi Hataya (new material from him would be bliss), Tomoya Othani (my favorite Sonic composer as far as the 'Modern' Era goes), Fumie Kumatani (my favorite female composer for the series hands down) and Cash Cash (non-vocal stuff plz) personally. 

Oh, and throw in Kenichi Tokoi, Mariko Namba and Tony Harnell/Ted Poley. The latter duo for the vocal theme of the game.

Jun Senoue...I can see him working on the music to this game as well, but it has to be a collaboration with the aforementioned artists I mentioned, like Hataya.

Edited by TheChaosBlue
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bring in the dudes who worked on Colors' soundtrack, and it be all guuuuuud....

Edited by Ben Tennyson

You know, with the way this game is looking, a vocal song by Owl City would not be unfitting.

Rush-esque soundtrack, if not something more similar to Colors'. Either way, really, but I suspect they'll come up with something cool and original for this title given how unique it is to the other 3D games.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I might add my two cents to the topic as a whole: As long as the music that they compose for this game fit the Zones & stages therein, then I'm rather impartial to what the game's music sounds like.

....so long as it's not dubstep. I don't hate dubstep if it's used as PART of a song, mind you, but if the whole thing is nothing but dubstep then I can't stand it.

Just in case it hasn't been shared let me confirm this:

*video*

I'm really hoping there's an actual main vocal theme. Generations and All Stars Racing Transformed made use of non-Sonic music for their commercials and didn't really have much in the way of original music. I'm really hoping Lost World doesn't follow this formula and they just haven't decided to reveal the actual theme song yet.

(Granted, it's pretty obscure, but just wanted to make you know.)

Besides, they ended up not using that whatever song they used for the early trailers for Sonic Generations, they can do that again.

Edited by Can of Nothing

Besides, they ended up not using that whatever song they used for the early trailers for Sonic Generations, they can do that again.

Which was my point. I'm worried they're going down a track of not having vocal themes anymore. Instead just using a bunch of independent music for commercials and then, come the game... nothing but a musical riff. :(

You know, with the way this game is looking, a vocal song by Owl City would not be unfitting.

They certainly fit the perky nature of things.

Who knows maybe their role in Wreck-It Ralph will help score some points with SEGA. :P

I'm betting Cash Cash or Crush 40 though as they seem to be Sonic Team's go-to guys for lyrical themes.

Sonic Generations didn't feature any new vocal themes so in sense the tradition was broke.. I do hope the sound team will do an instrumental theme than a vocal one.

I give that game the benefit of the doubt as it was an anniversary title and so that was meant to appeal to the older fans.

Now that the nostalgia train has pulled into the station, we can resume the tradition I believe.

Which was my point. I'm worried they're going down a track of not having vocal themes anymore. Instead just using a bunch of independent music for commercials and then, come the game... nothing but a musical riff. sad.png

Eh. So you'd rather have licensed music instead of an original (albeit short/instrumental/dubs- BLIMEYNOTDUBSTEP) main theme? I'm a very big fan of the classics' main themes, and if they did something like that again (one reason I actually like Sonic 4) I'd be a happy Canda.

Granted, vocal songs are nice, but... I don't need them, frankly, just gimme my short-and-brilliant-omg-C-BbProgression-HOWDIDTHEYMAKETHISMELODY-HOWDIDSOMETHINGTHISSIMPLENOTEXISTBEFORE Sonic 1-esque riff and I'm sold.

I can understand wanting vocal themes, though, most people /do/ like their lyrics in their songs, don't they?

....Right?

Right?

*gets reminded of that one person saying music isn't music without singing and shudders*

Edited by Can of Nothing

Since this game is giving me such big Saturn/SCD-era vibes, my dream team for this game is to be led by Richard Jacques and Naofumi Hataya. Throw in Fumie Kumatani and Tomoya Ohtani to do the rest. *drools furiously*

But I mean, if anyone can do it good, please do. Just don't make it be overly upbeat synth-rock. That totally isn't fitting the vibe I'm getting at all (looking at you, Jun). XD

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 6

What do I wanna see? I'm fine with what we've been getting since Unleashed. 

But there's a little fanboy inside me that kind of wants Masato Nakamura to return to make a few more super-memorable themes.

As Azookra said, Naofumi Hataya, Richard Jaques, and Tomoya Othani doing the music for this would be a fantastic combo of sheer awesomeness. To be honest i couldn't really see Jun Senoue's type of music fitting in this game's really surreal style. 

What do I wanna see? I'm fine with what we've been getting since Unleashed. 

But there's a little fanboy inside me that kind of wants Masato Nakamura to return to make a few more super-memorable themes.

I wholly agree with this, I think that Nakamura's style of catchy tunes would fit beautifully in this game. Especially if the game tries to channel more of the classics level tropes. Like we have seen with Wind Hill channeling bits of Green Hill. 

To be honest I would love to see Tomoya Ohtani do some work on this game. Some of his pieces in Sonic Colors are fantastic.

Oh hey Tomoya Ohtani on Twitter:

6/23(日)『ソニック バースデーパーティー2013』に『ソニック ロストワールド』のサウンドディレクターとして登壇することが発表されました!今回も頑張ってますv たぶん初めて、新作のゲーム中の楽曲を聴いてもらえる機会になるんじゃないかと思いますので、是非遊びに来て下さいね!

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like either the Sonic Lost World composer is confirmed as him, or is going to be confirmed. 

Also, why are none of you talking about the orchestral Dear My Friend and Rooftop Run being played later today live?!

• Thumbs Up 1

WHAT?!

Also, I think it's Ohtani, though I'm getting a bit of Hataya and/or Jacques vibes too.

Exactly what I expected, so no disappointments there. Wished the rhythm in Windy Hill was a bit more dynamic, but oh well.

Welp, now that the music's actually out, can we like rename it to "General Lost World Music Discussion Topic" or something like that?

I'm loving the windy hill theme. Also, Sonic Heroooooooeeeessss.

The music from that one act of Desert Ruins was very much in the vein of Arid Sands Night.

This isn't really what I was expecting, but it's pretty wonderful.

Sounds pretty Ohtani to me. That speedy, fun sounding energy gives me Tropical Resort and Rooftop Run Day vibes. I'm sure we'll see plenty of the other usual suspects as well.