Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

Yes, there currently is no information on either version of Lost World. But wouldn't it be nice to have a thread that can be used to discuss the 3DS version.

Let me start by saying that I can see this topic probably getting locked quickly if the company that shall not be named (DIMPS) is bashed and users arguing over it. I kind of want to limit this to what you want, or stuff like that.

So to start off.

We know that Sonic and Tails are in the screenshot. So I would like for Tails to be playable in this version in some shape or form.

If the rumored six guardians is to be believed it could be that this game might take the Colors route and have a special mini game to acquire the emeralds( if they even have a place in the game).
Gameplay wise I can live with a DKCR type of level design but would want to try a full 3D world. Gyroscope functionality could be fun if we would be able to use the Tornado in game or in mini game style fashion. I would like also 3D boss battles and for them to be challenging.

It also way to early but I would like also meaningful DLC to be developed a few months after the game launches. But Generations can probably be an indicator of future events.

So thoughts?

Edited by Dreamy Luigi

Plot Twist: Sonic Team works on 3DS and Dimps on the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 8

Probably another watered down Dimps version of the Wii U version.

Plot Twist: Sonic Team works on 3DS and Dimps on the Wii U.

Yup just as I thought no thought provoking posts

I'm hoping that this time around, a sonic game can take full advantage of the capabilities of the 3ds version. Unlike last time.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just gonna call Rush 5 now so you guys aren't surprised when it happens.

Edited by -Miles (Tails) Prower-
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'd much rather it not be 2.5D and see the game take full advantage of the console rather than being yet another Rush-esque game, but that's how Sonic's handheld adventures usually went as of late (curse you Dimps)...  
Problem is, a 3D game built to take full advantage of the 3DS is going to pale in comparison to its home console brother. If they try to make the 3DS version like the Wii U version, Lost World 3DS—even at full power—will just be a crappier, uglier, shorter version of another game. It'll be like comparing Unleashed HD to Unleashed Wii. In order for the 3DS version to be compelling, it has to be radically different from the Wii U version. I don't want Rush 5 either, but I also don't want Sonic Lost World: Meh Edition. Personaly, I'm hoping for a 2D side scroller made like the Classics. A sort of spiritual Sonic 4.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Problem is, a 3D game built to take full advantage of the 3DS is going to pale in comparison to its home console brother. If they try to make the 3DS version like the Wii U version, Lost World 3DS—even at full power—will just be a crappier, uglier, shorter version of another game. It'll be like comparing Unleashed HD to Unleashed Wii. In order for the 3DS version to be compelling, it has to be radically different from the Wii U version. I don't want Rush 5 either, but I also don't want Sonic Lost World: Meh Edition. Personaly, I'm hoping for a 2D side scroller made like the Classics. A sort of spiritual Sonic 4.

Without delving into it way to much. This is what I disliked about Generations. The 3DS version was always compared to the more developed, high powered console cousin. and not its own game. Yes it was compared as its own game as well but most of it stemmed to the HD version is better because of HD.

Basically it should be like a slightly watered down port of lost world or at least have gameplay like colors on the wii with more 3D and better 3d as well.

Ok simply put if the gameplay isn't new in the wii u version and is in fact the boost gameplay, here's a couple controls I'd like, B to jump, y to boost, A to stomp, X for ring dash and activating pulley switches (if they appear), L and R for quickstep buttons, and as for drifting press and hold the L and R buttons while moving the circle pad. If optional circle pad pro support is added it has the exact same controls it has a controller layout like generations.

Edited by Sunic Man

Its not like they're wrong.

• Thumbs Up 4

Problem is, a 3D game built to take full advantage of the 3DS is going to pale in comparison to its home console brother. If they try to make the 3DS version like the Wii U version, Lost World 3DS—even at full power—will just be a crappier, uglier, shorter version of another game. It'll be like comparing Unleashed HD to Unleashed Wii.

In order for the 3DS version to be compelling, it has to be radically different from the Wii U version. I don't want Rush 5 either, but I also don't want Sonic Lost World: Meh Edition.

Personaly, I'm hoping for a 2D side scroller made like the Classics. A sort of spiritual Sonic 4.

Fair point. Although my argument wasn't me comparing Gen3DS and GenHD and hoping for a more similar experience between both handheld and home console editions of Lost World (at least I don't think it was?), it'd make the 3DS version embarrassingly underwhelming compared to the Wii U version if that were the case.

There's also the reasoning that 2D Sonic would be kinda hard to redefine beyond "Classic" gameplay and "Rush" gameplay... Just about everyone's saying it's a sure bet that LW3DS will be the latter, and I agree, I can't think of anything radically different beyond those two styles, but if SEGA's going for Rush again, I just hope they'd do something more with it than just making use of the in-game gimmicks and abilities plus Rush.

I guess as long as it isn't "meh", I shouldn't be complaining. Taking advantage of the console's strengths in its visuals potential is all I ask anyway.

...as for that last part, I'd like that to be possible, especially now that they have the opportunity to use Tails in the game, though I wouldn't know whether or not he'd have the same gameplay style as Sonic with the boost (spin those tails faster!) or if he'd have his own stages that'd cater to his own abilities (classic-type stages that take advantage of his flight capabilities). Then again, Tails always accompanied Sonic in the handheld series and was stuck to the "that guy you see in cutscenes but don't play as" role, so it wouldn't come across as a surprise if he isn't used again. I'm tired of Solo Sonic main titles and want that to change, and this game (both editions) could put a halt to this at last.

I dunno, guess we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm hoping for, and think that they will use, 2.5D gameplay - but presented and packaged more intelligently.  Dimps's games have gotten too formulaic and the more recent efforts have frankly lacked - well, effort, and energy.  Seven levels of two acts and a boss with one final boss, interspersed with 2D conversations, special stages to unlock emeralds which unlock a true final boss.  Added onto that, innumerable identikit missions which boil down to replaying the stages over and over again under certain conditions.  (Okay, Colours DS and Generations 3DS had some unique courses, but you still were doing the same sort of thing in them - collecting so many rings, defeating so many badniks.)  The formula has lost all of its lustre, and the lack of time available on Generations 3DS shows.  They really need a change.

We can't know exactly what to expect or hope for from Lost World 3DS without knowing anything about Lost World.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't a world map of some kind, however, and I've been calling for the Rush Adventure map-travel gimmick to be extended to Sonic actually running across the world since, well, Rush Adventure.  This seems like a good place for it.  If the Chaos Emeralds are in, going back to the formula of special stages accessible within stages or hidden on the world map a la RA would be good, but original special stages rather than borrowings from previous games, please - what I liked about RA's is that they were an extension of the sailing gameplay you were already practiced in.  Actual 3D cutscenes rather than art/models appearing on the screen with dialogue boxes overlaid on them - there's a time and a place for that, and it's not a Sonic game.  But mainly I'd just like a refresh of the formula, and if Dimps simply aren't in a position to do that any more, another developer should be called upon.  As for the gameplay, I'd like it not to use the camera shifts from Generations 3DS but to be presented with a fixed side-on camera angle but where the action sometimes comes nearer or farther away from the screen - come to think of it, even Rush Adventure managed that on the DS.  My reasoning is that side-on allows one to maintain the illusion of not using "highway in the sky" design, and that the multiple paths alongside one another in Generations 3DS, because they all had to fit on screen at once, were individually not very interesting at all.  Also, if the game must have level-ending set pieces like Generations 3DS, they should actually be playable rather than single-button sequences or quick-time events.

Essentially, I'd like the game to be an actual evolution from Rush Adventure, whereas every subsequent game has been a regression in quality and originality.  Rush Adventure did a lot that I wanted to see built on, and it never was.

• Thumbs Up 2

Look man, if you have problems with what some people are posting then you're better off reporting them than making responses such as these, which is really rude. Even then, what others have posted in this topic is not unwarranted. Secondary versions of recent Sonic games tend to be viewed much less favorably than their main counterparts.

Shoot me for this, but I'd like to see some Adventure-style gameplay, with Tails playable.

The 3DS is clearly more powerful than the Dreamcast, so why not? Don't miss the opportunity like they did with Gens Modern Sonic. 

Also, considering the Wii U version will likely be boost gameplay, at least then this version has it's own identity. In fact, given the track record, I wouldn't be surprised if the other possible Wii U playable characters turned out to be carbon clones of Sonic.  

Edited by Kamakai
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about they stop giving us handheld versions of console games and give us an original handheld experience for once?

But I game in the vein of the Rush series would be cool.

I'm not super concerned about whether it's 2D or 3D, though I would very much like at least some 3D. I've thought from the beginning that super speedy Sonic running into the screen with shit coming at ya could be a fucking amazing stereoscopic 3D experience. What really matters though is that the game has enough effort to just be fun from start to finish, with clever designs, purdy graphics, and a sexy soundtrack. I think I can reasonably expect the last one, but only time will tell for the rest...

I do hope both Sega and Dimps take note of Donkey Kong Country Returns for this title. Even on the 3DS, DKC:R looks hella damn good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do hope both Sega and Dimps take note of Donkey Kong Country Returns for this title. Even on the 3DS, DKC:R looks hella damn good.

Except DKCR was a Wii game. You can't downscale a WiiU game that easily

My opinion:

Gotta get that dodgy physics 2D platformer. It's what I live for.
Dimps' handheld games are always perfect. Also, we all love their console ventured, such as Sonic 4 ep1 and ep2. Those were perfect games. They played just like classics!
I love Dimps games and own them all.
I can't wait for lost worlds. I'm gonna buy the Dimps version first!

Detect the sarcasm.

Im kidding tongue.png
Dimps games are kinda hit and miss. (Eg. Compare SAdv1 to S4Ep2)
I'm always interested to see what they have to offer, but I'm not buying it unless I hear something good about it. Or it's fully 3D. Something unique. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, isn't the 3ds about as strong a Gamecube?

Make it play like the Adventure games and have the Wii U version be whatever is new. The 3ds shouldn't have shitty watered down ugly as ass graphics when the Wii U has some sexy looking stuff.

(Tell me with a straight face that the Gens 3d Modern Sonic model is better then the Olympic Games 2012 3ds Sonic model)