Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

I'm sorry everyone but I just don't see it. The level is terrible. It's slow, it makes you stop constantly with the gimmicks, it feels rather empty and is just boring.

I'd rather they made Sonic Rush or a new 2D gameplay series because this is a borefest.

Maybe it's all just the player but honestly, right now this looks BAD.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry everyone but I just don't see it. The level is terrible. It's slow, it makes you stop constantly with the gimmicks, it feels rather empty and is just boring.

I'd rather they made Sonic Rush or a new 2D gameplay series because this is a borefest.

OK, let just have a watered down 2D version of Sonic Lost World then!

Dude, this is on the 3DS, of course it not gonna be really visually impressive, plus, I'm not the biggest fan of the "BoOsT tO WiIiInN!" Gameplay, so this is fine for me...

OK, let just have a watered down 2D version of Sonic Lost World then!

Dude, this is on the 3DS, of course it not gonna be really visually impressive, plus, I'm not the biggest fan of the "BoOsT tO WiIiInN!" Gameplay, so this is fine for me...

I'd rather take a decent 2D game for a portable version than a slow and boring 3D one.

Surprisingly, this time I was talking about the level design and gameplay in general, not the art direction (which is still godawful but I'm not talking about it right now).

Gotta love that long line of dash panels @ 0:50 as well as those numerous ones at 6:33. Dimps tradition, of course.

But I'll admit, the level gimmick/designwise looks okay. Frozen Factory looks like an snowcapped variant of Windy Hill though.

Hey,least we know the game will be constantly throwing new things at you and keeping you on your toes. Hooray for variety!!!!

Hey,least we know the game will be constantly throwing new things at you and keeping you on your toes. Hooray for variety!!!!

Variety can be frustrating at times. While I love everything about Sonic adventure (well, Big's levels ARE annoying though), I can understand why people dislike other stuff than playing as Sonic and Tails.

This game is a prime example of the same stuff. It has variety in controls but do we really need that? Nope, especially since the controls for the wisps are atrocious.

Remember the Desert ruins 2D level. It's absolutely terrible! No physics whatsoever + constant reusing of the same boring gimmick with that ball and the button (can be seen in Frozen Factory as well, but not in THAT amount). That gimmick adds variety but is it enjoyable? No.

TL;DR version: I don't want any variety in gameplay if it's execution is terrible. The parkour mechanic sounds like fun but they really HAD to add the wisps, the touch screen controls and various gimmicks most of which should never be there.

Variety can be frustrating at times. While I love everything about Sonic adventure (well, Big's levels ARE annoying though), I can understand why people dislike other stuff than playing as Sonic and Tails.

This game is a prime example of the same stuff. It has variety in controls but do we really need that? Nope, especially since the controls for the wisps are atrocious.

Remember the Desert ruins 2D level. It's absolutely terrible! No physics whatsoever + constant reusing of the same boring gimmick with that ball and the button (can be seen in Frozen Factory as well, but not in THAT amount). That gimmick adds variety but is it enjoyable? No.

TL;DR version: I don't want any variety in gameplay if it's execution is terrible. The parkour mechanic sounds like fun but they really HAD to add the wisps, the touch screen controls and various gimmicks most of which should never be there.

talking about the wisps, what are you talking about, this is the 3ds version of the game and looking at this footage you can see that the only touch screen control is just tapping on it and you can't really say much on the wii u version either because that was only one wisp (and honestly I always felt that cyan would be kind of a tough case) sorry if it sounds like im getting on your case and im not saying that you can't dislike the game or anything but your points on this are kind of lacking.

talking about the wisps, what are you talking about, this is the 3ds version of the game and looking at this footage you can see that the only touch screen control is just tapping on it and you can't really say much on the wii u version either because that was only one wisp (and honestly I always felt that cyan would be kind of a tough case) sorry if it sounds like im getting on your case and im not saying that you can't dislike the game or anything but your points on this are kind of lacking.

Hm, well yeah, I guess I was speaking more about the WiiU version when I talked about the wisps. Still, even on 3DS. Ask peple what would they prefer: to constantly be getting their styluses from the console just to touch a wisp icon on the touch screen or to just press a button to activate it?

I bet they'll choose the latter. Variety is an enemy in this case unless there IS an option to activate the wisps using buttons instead of touch screen. Using the touch screen for the sake of it is a very bad idea.

Edited by ArtFenix

Hm, well yeah, I guess I was speaking more about the WiiU version when I talked about the wisps. Still, even on 3DS. Ask peple what would they prefer: to constantly be getting their styluses from the console just to touch a wisp icon on the touch screen or to just press a button to activate it?

I bet they'll choose the latter.

.....You can touch the icon with your finger. 

• Thumbs Up 5

.....You can touch the icon with your finger. 

I'm standing my ground. What would you prefer? Button activation or touch screen activation? Honestly.

I'm standing my ground. What would you prefer? Button activation or touch screen activation? Honestly.

Depends on the game. The touchscreen could potentially free up more buttons for other things. Especially if it's something simple like tapping it to activate an item. Mario does something similar and it works wonders.

Considering 99% of the 3DS version looks like it's controlled by buttons, tapping the screen to activate the Wisp doesn't bother me. The Wii U version, on the other hand, looks like it might get frustrating to control, since you have to use the Gamepad touch screen to activate AND control wisp powers. Well, the Laser Wisp, at least. Most likely Rhythm amongst others as well.

Edited by Tomoki

I would prefer using buttons BUT if it touch screen only, then I can use.... MY  FINGERS! *GASP* Plus, that seem like a minor problem to point out, like from the footage I saw, you only just need to tap the Icon on the bottom screen, and the rest is controlled by buttons...

But I can Kinda see what you are going with this.

Either would take less than a second, so I have no bias.
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you've had experience with the touch screen on 3DS and Wii U then it's a doozy if you know what you are doing

Both, depending on the situation. Sometimes, I want to press a button; other times, I'll just tap the screen with my fingers/stylus. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

Let's try again.

Remember that 2D desert ruins level from the 3DS version and that moronic ball "puzzle" gimmick. What would you prefer: the level with more emphasis on speedy gameplay or that ball thing interrupting it every 20 seconds?

Ball "puzzle" thing is a great example of variety that only hurts. Same for the touch screen gimmicks being there not because it's actually needed but just for the sake of utilizing the touch screen.

That's my point.

Edited by ArtFenix

Ball "puzzle" thing is a great example of variety that only hurts. Same for the touch screen gimmicks being there not because it's actually needed but just for the sake of utilizing the touch screen.

That's my point.

Well, frankly, the whole "touch screen gimmick for the sake of it" thing simply isn't that big a deal to me.

I don't think something as simple as tapping the screen to use an item is in the same league as a shitty ball puzzle.

Have you used a DS before? It's actually really simple to just tap the screen since its not even far from the buttons.

Well, frankly, the whole "touch screen gimmick for the sake of it" thing simply isn't that big a deal to me.

It is the same for the WiiU version where it IS an issue. Small issues lead to bigger ones.

Yeah, apart from SEGA MD2, DS is my only console). It's awesome but there are quite a few games where the touch screen controls should not be there.:)

Edited by ArtFenix

Let's try again.

Remember that 2D desert ruins level from the 3DS version and that moronic ball "puzzle" gimmick. What would you prefer: the level with more emphasis on speedy gameplay or that ball thing interrupting it every 20 seconds?

That's my point.

Yeah I'm not too big on that ball puzzle myself, it can screw you over if you aren't paying attention, there seems to be ways to avoid it by using drill, the one thing that could have made this act tolerable is by putting the rising sand sections in sandopolis act 2 along with the boos and boom boos making it hard (a nod to act 2 and hyueduros) but also not tedious.... This is one level I'm not too fond with....

It is the same for the WiiU version where it IS an issue. Small issues lead to bigger ones.

Yeah, apart from SEGA MD2, DS is my only console). It's awesome but there are quite a few games where the touch screen controls should not be there.smile.png

One example is sonic chronicles with the god awful touch screen events to trigger attacks

Yeah I'm not too big on that ball puzzle myself, it can screw you over if you aren't paying attention, there seems to be ways to avoid it by using drill

...which lead to the next issue: they force you to choose between two gimmicks (admittedly, one being enjoyable) making the usage of wisps not really optional. I've been saying the wisps are as optional as the boost in Unleashed. Sure, you can play without it, but it will be slower, harder and much less enjoyable. Same goes for the wisps.

Yea dude, It Sooo annoying to just to tap a touch screen that isn't really far from the buttons...

It's a very minor issue. I mentioned it as an example. I'm not maing a mountain out of a molehill. smile.png You shouldn't HAVE to touch the screen. You should WANT to do that because it's enjoyable. If it's not, then there is no point in making touch screen controls.

You don't even sound like you enjoy it yourself. You are just saying it's possible to ignore that minor issue, which only confirms it's there.

Edited by ArtFenix

I'm not gonna comment on the use of touch gimmicks in this game, seeing as I've yet to have played it, but I'm just stating that gimmicks like it generally aren't a big deal to me.

Yeah, apart from SEGA MD2, DS is my only console). It's awesome but there are quite a few games where the touch screen controls should not be there.smile.png

I understand that, but in this case, the touch screen is basically an extra button.