Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really liked Generations 3DS. There was something about the Rush games I didn't like, but I couldn't put my finger on. But whatever it was, I couldn't seem to find in Generations. Classic Sonic had the best classic Sonic physics I've seen since Sonic Advance 1. He felt more natural than Classic Sonic on the HD twins for sure... but this isn't about classic Sonic, since Lost world will likely be another booster. But the thing is, I even enjoyed modern Sonic in that game. Probably moreso than classic.

The game had upper, middle, and lower paths to the levels, and there weren't long stretches of nothing, and the gimmicks weren't nearly as repetitive as they were in the Rush games... At least that's how it felt to me.

So I guess I won't be to broken up if Lost World 3DS is a lot like Generations 3DS... Weather or not I'll but it is a different question. The only reason I bought Generations 3DS is because A. I only had the Zelda and Starfox Remakes for 3DS at the time and wanted more games, and B. because the only levels they shared were Green Hill.

However, I also wouldn't mind seeing Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS take a whack at full 3D gameplay. I'd say it would be a first for handheld Sonic... but I always forget mobile gaming is a thing. So I'm probably wrong. In any case, as long as the handheld version has some gimmicks that weren't in the console version, I don't see any problem with going 3D.

I'll be honest, I'm not expecting anything higher than Sonic Rush 5. It's pretty much the "Golden Formula" for handheld Sonic games as far as Sonic Team's concerned.

I want Dimps to make a 3D Sonic on 3DS, Gens' special stages to me prove they have something there:

It's amazing how perfect the boosting mechanic matches Heroes' special stages, genius IMO, Dimps should take the engine, expand it for proper control, and basically make a Gens lite for Lost World 3DS, but lose the 2D bits, I'm tired of them, both on console and handhelds.

I mean Colors and Gens are SO unbalanced, and far too favoring of 2D it's maddening, I mean even Unleashed favored 3D IIRC.

For Gens this was obvious since all ready 1/2 of the game is 2D for Classic, but Modern also has 2D bits, what is the point of 2D for Modern Sonic?

I really wish they would stop making watered down versions of the main game for the handheld systems and just make stand-alone games like they did with the Advance and Rush games. Would it be much better....who knows, but it seemed to work pretty well back then.

Edited by RidersDX

I'm sure they'd be happy to make a new kind of handheld game if the reviewers would stop with the

"Generations HD: meh

Generations 3DS: another excellent installment thank you so fun"

shit because it's happened like three times in a goddam row now.

Edited by Deaf Guy in Music Plant
  • Thumbs Up 2

^ Um...are you sure about that? I think it was the other way round in Generations' case. The PS360 version got very good reviews whilst the 3DS version was met with a mediocre reception. I think even the critics can now tell that Dimps just isn't the same anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do hope they get Hardlight to develop the game and not Dimps this time. Say what you want about Sonic Jump, but at least Jump got playable characters other than Sonic right unlike Sonic 4 Episode II and it's mandatory co-op bull. Not to mention Jump's production values shotgunned Sonic 4 Episode I's production values off a cliff.

image2.jpg

act1_05.jpg

Edited by Gabe

Now that I've seen the gameplay for the Wii U version, I am more curious to see how this version's gameplay is going to look like. I wonder if they are going to keep it the same or do something completely different.

First 3DS screen?

Kz5jf6w.png

Looks to be like the typical green hill zone trope. Still looks good. Graphics wise the 3DS version looks to be blowing Gens out of the water  

Alright, with the recent 3DS screenshots, looks like they indeed stepped up their game, most excellent indeed.

Alright, with the recent 3DS screenshots, looks like they indeed stepped up their game, most excellent indeed.

Finally. A handheld version that isn't half assed.

So special stages are exclusive AGAIN in the handheld version?

That kind of lowers the chances of Super Sonic appearing as a story icon in this game. I wonder if they're going to do the "Super Boss" exclusive in the handheld version and just make Chaos Emeralds a collectible in the Wii U version.

So special stages are exclusive AGAIN in the handheld version?

That kind of lowers the chances of Super Sonic appearing as a story icon in this game. I wonder if they're going to do the "Super Boss" exclusive in the handheld version and just make Chaos Emeralds a collectible in the Wii U version.

Or how Generations set it up?

I think the point was the 3DS can do this:

DKC3D-Monster.jpg

Which is a million times better than this:

_-Sonic-Generations-3DS-_.jpg

I honestly don't see that much of a quality difference, but then again, there's a reason I dropped out on drawing in favor of music. Anyone with good eyes in art mind pointing out how DKR3D looks fantastic compared to Gens3D?

Well, isn't the 3ds about as strong a Gamecube?

If I recall, I believe it's around the in-between of a GameCube and a Wii.

The 3DS is actually more powerful than you think. It uses Modern feature sets (Shaders for example) with weaker technology but overall it can pull off pretty nice games.

jill-valentine.jpg

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-screenshot-8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

What I want to know more than anything else right now is who's developing the 3DS version...

• Thumbs Up 6

^ Me too! It looks so different from the other Sonic games we've had on handhelds, I'm wondering if Dimps is actually developing it. It certainly looks promising from the screenshots out there. O.O

Graphically it actually looks very similar to Generations 3DS. I think it's Dimps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Graphically it actually looks very similar to Generations 3DS. I think it's Dimps.

It probably is.

If Dimps makes a good game I'll be surprised. Then again, Colors DS was a lot of fun.

Edited by Autosaver

I think Dimps still have the capacity to make a good game, so if they are developing this, I won't be too displeased.

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably is.

If Dimps makes a good game I'll be surprised. Then again, Colors DS was a lot of fun.

Colours DS was fun, but it was a huge step down from the Rush duology- short, easy, ugly, rubbish music, shallow, cheap and lazy. It was pretty poor as a whole package. And of course, the Sonic 4s were worse, as was Generations 3DS. But this game looks like they might actually be putting some effort into it, and that SEGA might actually be putting some money into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Colours DS was fun, but it was a huge step down from the Rush duology- short, easy, ugly, rubbish music, shallow, cheap and lazy. It was pretty poor as a whole package. And of course, the Sonic 4s were worse, as was Generations 3DS. But this game looks like they might actually be putting some effort into it, and that SEGA might actually be putting some money into it.

Eh, all the Sonic 2D games (including Rush) were pretty short and easy. Also, the only stage I found ugly was certain parts of Planet Wisp. The music I didn't have a problem with either.

soniccolors300-610.jpg

Lost Worlds 3DS has been confirmed to have 3D stages.

SO YAAAAY IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE WORTH BUYING

It is overvalued how Dimps is responsible for the games. They are simply a coding company. Sonic 4 Episode 2 was outsourced to Dimps, Xeen and Sega China...it's still the responsibility of the design team at Sonic Team of guiding the game, and how much resources Sega puts into it. The result of things like Generations 3DS is just most likely being spread too thin, a typical problem during Sonic's dark ages.

• Thumbs Up 1