Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

Question: Why are you celebrating the cutscene(s) being motion if they're only Low Res. versions of the originals from the Wii-U version? I mean while there is a clear difference in there, the way the cutscene(s) are being included in here is the same way as the cutscene(s) in Unleashed Wii/SD and the few CGI clips in Colors(DS). I don't get the excitement.

Because every handheld game prior to now had half-arsed cut-out storyboard cutscenes that were often inaccurate to the console versions.

This is a significant step up, and it's more consistent; something that handheld versions of Sonic games have not been.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now if only the 3DS version of the game came with the option to change to the Japanese voices...

I thought a even more significant step up would be to make their own original, full motion, decent length cutscene(s) for the 3DS version. Its not like they can't do that, since a game Luigi's Mansion 2 does exactly that. The consistency can actually be damned, as long as the story hits in the same ballpark as the console version it doesn't matter if a few things are different.

Hey Smash, do you know if there's an option to change the voice audio track to a different language? I'd love to play the English version with the Japanese voices, if possible.

I thought a even more significant step up would be to make their own original, full motion, decent length cutscene(s) for the 3DS version. Its not like they can't do that, since a game Luigi's Mansion 2 does exactly that. The consistency can actually be damned, as long as the story hits in the same ballpark as the console version it doesn't matter if a few things are different.

That would be worse, though. That still would mean that the consoles get the superior cutscenes due to having higher-poly models and better special effects. It's also a waste of time, money, and effort, since they're more or less telling the same story. I'd prefer them to stick with the UnWiished route for now. Luigi's Mansion 2 is also its own game, and not the companion for a superior HD version.

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 2

post-2311-0-29348300-1381300386_thumb.jppost-2311-0-66879200-1381300395_thumb.jppost-2311-0-43569500-1381300407_thumb.jp

In windy hill act 1 you get a little helper depending on if you die a couple of times you get a different one depending on which checkpoint you just passed

the gold omachao shows up if you die right at the start without hitting a check point it collects items(like 1ups) and rings for sonic

the second one the balloon let's you fly over the level

the jet hits enemies with rockets before you even have a chance to hit them yourself

they all have a time limit though the chao stayed with me for half the level

as far as i know there's no way to change the voices

Ah, I figured as much, since Generations 3DS had multiple voice tracks on the cartridge, but they're tied exclusively to your console's language setting. Thanks, Smash. Pretty cool that the RC gadgets are essentially this game's equivalent of the super guide from DKCR and NSMB Wii to help out players that are having trouble.

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Considering the reason given, I still don't get it. Maybe the 3DS version has a feel of inferiority and has to copy its big brother Wii-U version in order for that fear to go away. Luigi Mansion 2 being its own game...I should've known this would come up, but Luigi's Mansion 2 not being a proper example because it has no comparison to a possibly superior version being a lone title(though not for long)isn't really what I was getting at. I was just saying that it has full motion cutscenes, why can't Lost World 3DS have "different" full motion cutscenes? Eh...?

Considering the reason given, I still don't get it. Maybe the 3DS version has a feel of inferiority and has to copy its big brother Wii-U version in order for that fear to go away. Luigi Mansion 2 being its own game...I should've known this would come up, but Luigi's Mansion 2 not being a proper example because it has no comparison to a possibly superior version being a lone title(though not for long)isn't really what I was getting at. I was just saying that it has full motion cutscenes, why can't Lost World 3DS have "different" full motion cutscenes? Eh...?

Because it's another version of the same game as the Wii U version, therefore has the same story? There's really no point in making the same cutscenes twice. Colors DS's excuse was the lack of space and Gens 3DS had a slightly different story altogether, due to it having re-imaginings of different levels from the HD version. Lost World, however has the exact same story on both versions.

• Thumbs Up 5

Possibility: What if someone who gets both versions actually wants to see a retelling of the story in the 3DS version? Like you know, wanting the cutscenes to play out differently while still having the same "General" story as the Wii U version instead of just being the exact same thing on both. I like the idea of telling the same story in a different way, that concept is just better to me. The models, effects, or animation isn't as good as the Wii-U version is not really a good enough reason for not making the 3DS version its own original cutscenes in my opinion.

Possibility: What if someone who gets both versions actually wants to see a retelling of the story in the 3DS version? Like you know, wanting the cutscenes to play out differently while still having the same "General" story as the Wii U version instead of just being the exact same thing on both. I like the idea of telling the same story in a different way, that concept is just better to me. The models, effects, or animation isn't as good as the Wii-U version is not really a good enough reason for not making the 3DS version its own original cutscenes in my opinion.

Then tough luck, kiddo. Unless you want just static models and text, you'll just have to deal with it. They're not going to invest money, time and effort into making a slightly different version of the story if it doesn't call for it. As I said, Colors DS and Gens 3DS had excuses for being different, but Lost World really doesn't. That is not the intention of the 3DS version; they went for a different 'feel' for Colors DS and Gens 3DS, but Iizuka outright said that he wanted the 3DS version of Lost World's 'feel' to be as close to its Wii U big brother as possible, so 3DS handheld gamers don't feel left out. Besides, the level designs and boss battles themselves will be completely different and there's exclusive Color Powers for each version as well; that's enough difference in content for it to stand on its own, in my opinion.

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Huh.. That was... Actually pretty impressive and really warming to the heart to see the 3DS younger brother get the same treatment that it's older sibling is getting... I could stand corrected about the cutscenes in this game, it's so refreshing to see them put so much effort into the handheld version this time around ; ^; <3

• Thumbs Up 8

I guess this calls for a big..."Oh well" then right? Though what exactly would the 3DS gamers be left out on with minor different cutscenes? How would having minor differencing cutscenes make the 3DS version less close to the Wii-U version(I'm pretty sure he was mainly referring to game-play)? Anyway it seems I'm out of steam, you've won this round and the next 3. Fare...

Let us know what you think of the controls and whatnot!

I actually got accustomed real quick controls are spot on one thing that took a while too get used too is the spindash you can't rev it up you just the hold y button untill it's all charged up and when sonic gets on a wall from the side his speed increases an insane amount but again just take's a while too get used to it

Japan got demos yesterday.... US (and EU's?) eShops updates every Thursday.... OH MY FUCKING GOD, YES PLEASE.

I thought a even more significant step up would be to make their own original, full motion, decent length cutscene(s) for the 3DS version. Its not like they can't do that, since a game Luigi's Mansion 2 does exactly that.

Funnily enough, Rush and Rush Adventure did occasionally swap the character portraits + dialogue box "cutscenes" for original, full-motion cutscenes, and that was back on the DS.  There was never any reason they shouldn't have been able to, if you look at what other DS games were able to pull off.  I don't recall Colours DS having full cutscenes, though, and I'm certain that Generations 3DS never did, which is likely symptomatic of the alleged time constraints that game was developed under.

But I agree that for Lost World 3DS it's redundant because they're trying to make the two versions as close as possible, presumably after hearing (and perhaps slightly misunderstanding) the complaints about the handheld versions being a "downgrade."  And I'll take the recycled cutscenes from the Wii U version, happily, if there's no reason to remake them at all.  So yes, this is an approach I'm glad to see confirmed for myself.

Hey Smash, do you think you could record the map music for us and upload it to Youtube? I would be extremely grateful if you could, ther are uploads on Youtube already but they have talking over them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the stage is locked off and available in the full game, sorta like xbla/psn games.And maybe the D Rank is there by default since the other stats such as time and score are blank.

Wait, you said that the demo only has Windy Hill Zone 0 and 1, but in the third photograph, there's a D Ranked Cavern Zone. So is it the full Windy Hill?

It just shows you screens for the final game when you try too go to it

Hey Smash, do you think you could record the map music for us and upload it to Youtube? I would be extremely grateful if you could, ther are uploads on Youtube already but they have talking over them.

sure i'll try