Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

After playing Mirrors Edge, I would love to see Sonic using his parkour moves on buildings. The city theme just seems like it could work really well with the parkour gameplay.

And since most parkour events take place in the city it would be very fitting

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who thinks that the 3D 'mach-speed' gameplay style might be absent in the 3DS version? I'm rather curious that they only showed us the 3D 'parkour' platforming style and 2D platforming style in this version. I also wonder how many Acts or 'Zones', as they're calling it, there will be per zone in this version as well. I'm hoping for 6 like the Wii U version, but considering that handheld counterparts to console Sonic games such as Colors and Generations tend to be much shorter than their console counterparts, I'm not gonna hold my breath. My guess is we'll get 2 or 3 Acts per Zone in this version, but I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Tomoki

What's with the lack of info on this one? As somebody who's probably gonna have to buy the 3DS version before the Wii U version, I like to know what I'm actually buying, and I'd rather not have to watch a walkthrough just to decide if I actually want to buy it or not

The 3DS version is without a doubt the version that will get little to no marketing and coverage. It's a shame, because I actually liked what I saw, which is strange for a modern-age Dimps game.

Who knows. Maybe it'll be the better version of the 2 and get it's well-deserved coverage.

My three favorite games all on one table. One which I own and Two which I will own. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Mario and Luigi Dream Team and Sonic Lost World 3DS

Let me tell you, all of those games are awesome. Well, can't really make a judgement on Sonic Lost Worlds yet but Luigi's Mansion 2 and Dream Team are both amazing games. I'm nearly finished both of them at the moment. I'm a bit slow, I know lol.

And if I had to make a negative and a positive comment on Lost World from what I've played...

I'd say on a positive note, it is fast. Sonic turns like the speed of light (sound lol) and the homing attack is pretty cool but does make it kind of easy...

On a bad note, I personally found it a bit "all over the place". Like the levels didn't really have any order about them. It was strange. I did fall off the edge a few times and it does take a bit to get used to running sideways across walls. 

The game's graphics are very underwhelming in this version (even by 3DS standards), and it still can't properly run at a solid 30fps? For crying out loud, it's even using sprites for Rings! Granted, it's still unfinished, so it could have better optimization in the finished product, but I'm really getting worried about this version; especially since Dimps is working on it.

Edited by Tomoki

The game's graphics are very underwhelming in this version (even by 3DS standards), and it still can't properly run at a solid 30fps? For crying out loud, it's even using sprites for Rings! Granted, it's still unfinished, so it could have better optimization in the finished product, but I'm really getting worried about this version; especially since Dimps is working on it.

cool your underwear. Wait until Sonic Boom or Gamescom to make a better decision.

To be fair, it could be an old demo. Demos are never the latest build and this one could be one from months ago.

cool your underwear. Wait until Sonic Boom or Gamescom to make a better decision.

Fine, fair enough, but I doubt it'll be much better. Pretty sure they'll most likely get the same build as Comic Con and PAX: Australia, but I hope I'm wrong..

To be fair, it could be an old demo. Demos are never the latest build and this one could be one from months ago.

I know that, but I'm still on edge about it. I really don't trust Dimps anymore.

Edited by Tomoki

Wait, the rings aren't even polygonal? You've got to be kidding me lol.

While you can certainly expect better optimization once the final build is ready, it's still rather odd how this version doesn't at least use Sonic Color's PhysX Engine considering that the 3DS can pull off better visuals than what LW 3DS is showing (even if it's better than Generations 3DS).

Though it's Dimps, and their track record hasn't been pretty since Sonic 4's existence.

Edited by Narukami07

Wait, the rings aren't even polygonal? You've got to be kidding me lol.

While you can certainly expect better optimization once the final build is ready, it's still rather odd how this version doesn't at least use Sonic Color's PhysX Engine considering that the 3DS can pull off better visuals than what LW 3DS is showing (even if it's better than Generations 3DS).

Though it's Dimps, and their track record hasn't been pretty since Sonic 4's existence.

Dimps's track record hasn't been good since UnWiished, that was when they started making crappy (handheld) versions/ports of mainstream Sonic games.

Dimps's track record hasn't been good since UnWiished, that was when they started making crappy (handheld) versions/ports of mainstream Sonic games.

Well, there's that too. But at least the Sonic Rush series were tolerable, idk about Colors DS but i haven't heard much backlash from it. Honestly though, i felt Dimps have hit rock bottom after Sonic 4 Episode 2 and Generations 3DS released. A far cry from their previous works (even with Sega) like the Advance Series.

Well, there's that too. But at least the Sonic Rush series were tolerable, idk about Colors DS but i haven't heard much backlash from it. Honestly though, i felt Dimps have hit rock bottom after Sonic 4 Episode 2 and Generations 3DS released. A far cry from their previous works (even with Sega) like the Advance Series.

The Rush series were before Unleashed(Wii)and after that were the handheld ports or just inferior ports in general.

Personally the whole "this might be an old demo" thing is getting old, they used the same excuse for Transformed on 3DS and it was a buggy piece of shit all the way to end game and proceeds to be a laggy piece of shit with less than average graphics and lazy animations.

I just hope they actually make a decent fucking 3DS Sonic title for once.

• Thumbs Up 2

That one wasn't made by Dimps though, not that it really helps but in terms of performance Dimps usually never makes their titles lag in the teens like Transformed on 3DS (which was AWFUL).

This could be the closest we'll get now that their actually bothering to make full 3D stages, but i'll be weary as well because the transition between one area to another from the Windmill zone footage on the 3DS version looks incredibly annoying to have to sit through.

That one wasn't made by Dimps though, not that it really helps but in terms of performance Dimps usually never makes their titles lag in the teens like Transformed on 3DS (which was AWFUL).

This could be the closest we'll get now that their actually bothering to make full 3D stages, but i'll be weary as well because the transition between one area to another from the Windmill zone footage on the 3DS version looks incredibly annoying to have to sit through.

That's because Dimps builds their games shit from the ground up, the ASRT team had to port over high quality console assets.

Yeah really. ASRT on 3DS was just a side project for Sumo. It was never taken seriously and it was never focused on. They had to manage like 20 platforms at once so it's entirely understandable that the down-porting took a serious toll. It's sad I know. Dimps here are working solely on this game by themselves. I have faith in Dimps in that their game will run decently. I don't remember their games being criticized for how they ran. Sonic 4 looked pretty good to be honest on the PS3. While it's possible it may run like crap in the end due to possibly being rushed (just like Gens 3D), I say we should keep our hopes high. This could very well be the first good Dimps game in a while. Just look at Sonic Generations. The demos played far worse than the final product.

To anyone complaining about the rings not being polygonal, it's done on purpose. Sure it looks worse, but it saves resources and allows the game to run smoother. Would you rather have more detailed environments and stable framerate or a bunch of polygonal rings?

Not surprising at all. That stage is a borefest and no wonder it caused only frustration. THIS is not gonna change unless they remake the whole level from the beginning.

The performance issues, however, might disappear in the final product but I'm not getting my hopes up on this either.

Oh God.. Why don't they just make a separate portable series for 3DS?! Sonic advance and Rush series were amazing and every single portable version of the main titles was inferior to those. They clearly were putting much more into Advance and Rush games than these watered down cheap inferior versions and the farther it goes, the worse it gets, it seems.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not just the rings, man. The game looks ugly as hell in general. There's hardly anything there in the stages, Sonic's character model is low-poly and the art style allows for simplified textures; only the enemy models look nice. Which is why I'm baffled as to why this game can't run at 60fps. KH3D is a much nicer looking game visually, and it runs faster too. The 3DS version of Lost World just looks so cheap... and it can only (barely) run at 30fps? You've got to be kidding me...

Not to mention there's those transition loading screens that really take away from the flow of the game. The game overall looks decent, but damn, Dimps, could you have put more effort into this? It just looks like they're not taking advantage of the 3DS's hardware.

Edited by Tomoki

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdom Hearts 3D also ran at 30FPS and had some moments of lag with 3D on. There's also the difference that Sonic Lost World is a much faster game and is made to keep loading new areas. Kingdom Hearts had you fight in preloaded areas. Two different leagues. It also helps that Kingdom Hearts 3D spent many years in development while Dimps most likely started this year. It's not going to have the time to become a fully polished experience like their other titles. I guarantee the game will run well without 3D, but I guess they have to optimize it the game for it to work with 3D. I still think we're seeing old builds because we're constantly shown the first stages for the 3DS version. The game is coming out in a couple months so they're probably farther in development.

Speaking of other titles, I think it would have been great if Dimps went out to make another handheld exclusive game for Nintendo audiences. It seems like when they're given creative freedom and time to work on a project, they can do it (Advance, Rush). Now they're Sonic Team's cash cow by working on quick and dirty ports of games or trying to mimic the classic Sonics with Sonic 4.

Edited by Autosaver

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdom Hearts 3D also ran at 30FPS and had some moments of lag with 3D on. There's also the difference that Sonic Lost World is a much faster game and is made to keep loading new areas. Kingdom Hearts had you fight in preloaded areas. Two different leagues. It also helps that Kingdom Hearts 3D spent many years in development while Dimps most likely started this year. It's not going to have the time to become a fully polished experience like their other titles. I guarantee the game will run well without 3D, but I guess they have to optimize it the game for it to work without 3D. I still think we're seeing old builds because we're constantly shown the first stages for the 3DS version. The game is coming out in a couple months so they're probably farther in development.

Speaking of other titles, I think it would have been great if Dimps went out to make another handheld exclusive game for Nintendo audiences. It seems like when they're given creative freedom and time to work on a project, they can do it (Advance, Rush). Now they're Sonic Team's cash cow by working on quick and dirty ports of games or trying to mimic the classic Sonics with Sonic 4.

Fair enough, but the fact that they may have only had one year to develop the 3DS version is ridiculous. SEGA and Sonic Team should be aiming to make sure all versions of their product are top notch, and not half-assed and rushed.

Seriously. Compare this: 

sonic_colors.jpg

To this:

image_302810_fit_940.jpg

(Pardon me for using a stretched pic for the second comparison, but you get where i'm at).

It's like Dimps just lazily went with Generation 3DS' engine instead of utilizing the PhysX Engine for the 3DS, especially when the handheld's a mini-GC with modern shading technology. It would have been a far more ideal decision to complement the 3DS version's visuals more honestly. *sigh*

Still can't wait for more 3DS footage of it's own levels though!

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdom Hearts 3D also ran at 30FPS and had some moments of lag with 3D on.

Actually it only lags at times in cutscenes with 3D on (though most of it still stays smooth), but there where other small parts where it would dip without the 3D turned up as well.

As for KH3D's gameplay, there's no difference in framerate even if you turn the 3D slider up. The game will still dip during heavy effects and a large amount of enemies on screen, you won't gain any performance increase with 3D off. I tried testing very carefully on that aspect and there is no mistaking that fact. However month's ago an update for the 3DS caused game's with uncapped FPS issues to gain improved performance, KH3D being one of them. The difference with Riku vs Wargoyle for example, was one of the most notable in regards to frame rate dips not happening nearly as much as it used to every time Wargoyle starts the battle with launching crystal-like projectiles at you. Of course not all of the issues were completely gone, but the improvements where still there. :3

Edited by Narukami07

Fair enough, but the fact that they may have only had one year to develop the 3DS version is ridiculous. SEGA and Sonic Team should be aiming to make sure all versions of their product are top notch, and not half-assed and rushed.

Well, this IS Dimps we are talking about here...

Seriously. Compare this: 

sonic_colors.jpg

To this:

image_302810_fit_940.jpg

I don't think this is a fair comparison.

I'm not sure why, but I just don't.

But that's just what I think.