Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

Seriously i keep hearing the 3DS version being better than the Wii U version. What are the points that make it superior? I'll listen.

tongue.png

Reasons why I personally prefer 3DS:

- Tighter, more flowing controls that feel like Colours/Generations but with the added parkour moves.

- Parkour moves themselves are simplified.

- 3DS Exclusive Wisps are legitimately fun to use, old ones used well too.  General Wisp usage is more about creating whole levels designed around them, rather than interrupting regular levels with their gameplay on a semi-frequent basis.  The Wisps that are used in conjunction with regular gameplay are always focused on moving forward, rather than slowing down and performing fiddley puzzles.

- Super Sonic is awarded for collecting all emeralds and as such can be acquired during the main playthrough as in days of old, and can then be used to help with tricky Red Rings if one so desires.  Red Rings constantly unlock new Wisp-focused bonus levels, instead of rewarding players with what has become a series staple anyway over the past few years.

- Lives allocation is so plentiful they might as well be infinite, but essentially it means no annoying Game Overs at the end of 10 minute long levels like in the Wii U version.

- Gyro controls actually respond properly (Special Stages are genuinely fun and well-designed once you embrace the gyro).

On the downside though:

- Lava Mountain is just a boss rush of previously played bosses, and Hidden World is nowhere in the game.

- Considering the extra acts aren't 100% original stages and are primarily Wisp based, the overall proper act count is most certainly lower than Wii U.

- Online multiplayer has disappointing oddities.

- While Hard Mode is appreciated, it doesn't change up much at all.

- Pretty much every pre-Act 2 cut-scene from the Wii U version is absent (as are mid-bosses).

And for stuff that will go either way depending on the player:

- Each zone features one "proper" 3D act, one 2D act, and one highly gimmicky 3D act, either focusing on unSonic-like puzzles or Wisp usage.  While even the latter can be speedran with skill, first time through I can see them leaving a sour taste in many players mouths.

- While the gyro controls work awesomely, they are mandatory.  In-level gyro controls never ask much of the player, but Special Stages pretty much require you to stand in the middle of the room for maximum control, which becomes essential from the 4th one or so onwards.

- Uses "beat all enemies to progress" a little too often, though like the puzzles, clever parkouring skips many such moments.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 7

Reasons why I personally prefer 3DS:

- Tighter, more flowing controls that feel like Colours/Generations but with the added parkour moves.

- Parkour moves themselves are simplified.

- 3DS Exclusive Wisps are legitimately fun to use, old ones used well too.  General Wisp usage is more about creating whole levels designed around them, rather than interrupting regular levels with their gameplay on a semi-frequent basis.  The Wisps that are used in conjunction with regular gameplay are always focused on moving forward, rather than slowing down and performing fiddley puzzles.

- Super Sonic is awarded for collecting all emeralds and as such can be acquired during the main playthrough as in days of old, and can then be used to help with tricky Red Rings if one so desires.  Red Rings constantly unlock new Wisp-focused bonus levels, instead of rewarding players with what has become a series staple anyway over the past few years.

- Lives allocation is so plentiful they might as well be infinite, but essentially it means no annoying Game Overs at the end of 10 minute long levels like in the Wii U version.

- Gyro controls actually respond properly (Special Stages are genuinely fun and well-designed once you embrace the gyro).

On the downside though:

- Lava Mountain is just a boss rush of previously played bosses, and Hidden World is nowhere in the game.

- Considering the extra acts aren't 100% original stages and are primarily Wisp based, the overall proper act count is most certainly lower than Wii U.

- Online multiplayer has disappointing oddities.

- While Hard Mode is appreciated, it doesn't change up much at all.

- Pretty much every pre-Act 2 cut-scene from the Wii U version is absent (as are mid-bosses).

And for stuff that will go either way depending on the player:

- Each zone features one "proper" 3D act, one 2D act, and one highly gimmicky 3D act, either focusing on unSonic-like puzzles or Wisp usage.  While even the latter can be speedran with skill, first time through I can see them leaving a sour taste in many players mouths.

- While the gyro controls work awesomely, they are mandatory.  In-level gyro controls never ask much of the player, but Special Stages pretty much require you to stand in the middle of the room for maximum control, which becomes essential from the 4th one or so onwards.

- Uses "beat all enemies to progress" a little too often, though like the puzzles, clever parkouring skips many such moments.

Jez, I don't know how you did it, but you've made me even more excited for next week.

It's great to know that you've had fun with it. Now why can't the 29th come faster?!

• Thumbs Up 6

Fan reception>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

critics

Wasn't denying that, but this is true.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about is that a common complaint with the 3DS version is that it puts in boring puzzles that break the flow.

Oh, one more small thing: if you care, despite being recorded from the Wii U version graphics, the cut-scenes ARE displayed in stereoscopic 3D, which more than makes up for the heavy compression IMO.  The only ones that aren't 3D are the full quality CG animated scenes (which is just the opening cut-scene, the shots of the energy machine and distance shots of the plains where Amy and Knux are hanging out).

Wasn't denying that, but this is true.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about is that a common complaint with the 3DS version is that it puts in boring puzzles that break the flow.

That was Dimps' intent. It was to look as close to it's big brother as possible, but focus moreso on puzzle solving and platforming than mulitiple paths and exploration.

Though there seems to be an ample amount of the latter two in this version as well, which makes me happy.

Oh yeah forgot to post!  I've only played 3 matches in race mode, but the biggest deal is only one person can use a Wisp at a time.  No idea why.  Someone got ahead of me so I decided to stop and take out some enemies to open up a Wisp capsule cage which could lead me to a faster route - they then collected a Wisp themselves and it disappeared from the capsule I had just unlocked.  The capsule was uncollectable.  The worst part is they never even USED their Wisp, so I was denied of using them for the rest of the race and lost horrifically. We then played an underwater stage where whoever got to each Drill capsule first got a massive lead as the other player was left to choose between standing by the capsule until that person had finished with the Wisp, or pressing on and taking the Wispless, much slower route.  Ridiculous.  Haven't tried Battle or Special Stage mode yet.

Also, after my praising of 3D cut-scenes, I should add that Online multiplayer is only playable in 2D.

I'm assuming they did that to avoid lag.

One more question: Can you play the online multiplayer with people on your friends list?

Yes you can.  It supports Download Play too if you have friends or siblings without the game, (though honestly like most Sonic games with multiplayer, I'm sure playing it against someone who hasn't had hours of time to learn the game will be a fruitless exercise).

Still though, I don't get it at all.  Just like Gens 3DS, you don't interact with the other player, so I don't see why you can't both use a Wisp at the same time.

Well, actually there are items you can collect specific to multiplayer, but despite using every one I found I couldn't figure out what any of them did.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're not missing out on anything Jez MM the hidden world is very underwhelming in the Wii U version and random there is a stage in Zone 2 with you controlling the tornado with tails's theme from SA2 but that's it.

Well that clears that up.  Still a shame that there's no Hidden World, as if there had been one we could be sure the 3DS version would be better whoopsdidIjustsaythatoutloud.

ANYWAY more breaking news hot from the IsJezTheOnlyPersonStillPlayingThe3DSVersionComeOn News Department - I wasn't imagining things, Hard Mode DOES have changes to the levels.

Not every level, but there are certainly some there.  Tropical Coast Act 1 has the Yellow Wisps hidden off-camera, requiring bouncing to find them, Tropical Coast Act 2 has the easier Apples removed so you have to get the further away ones as well as more spike balls added to avoid, and Tropical Coast Act 3 has significantly smaller formations of Yellow Wisps to grab in the Whirlpool segments so you have to really pay attention to the capsules below you to figure out whether you're heading towards some or not.

Judging from my continual A Ranks on Hard Mode, I'm guessing S Ranking them is as simple a deal as minimising your deaths.

I got this version yesterday, and am now up to Frozen Factor 1. What am I supposed to do with the Lightning Wisp? I can't fly or homing attack, so how am I supposed to get across the large gap after charging up the plug thing?

Edited by Lhancat

I got this version yesterday, and am now up to Frozen Factor 1. What am I supposed to do with the Lightning Wisp? I can't fly or homing attack, so how am I supposed to get across the large gap after charging up the plug thing?

Push X to latch on to objects and enemies that you lock on to with a yellow reticule.  You can also double jump as normal in Lightning form.  When you're hooked onto an electrical tether thing, Sonic will rotate around it and if you time your jump off of it you'll fly in the direction you were moving.

Edited by JezMM

I made a video of the Special Stages so you can (hopefully) clearly see how they work.  Love 'em or hate 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJcoHCKFRg

Oh, when I say "I have nothing more to say so you can stop watching if you want", ignore it.  I remember something afterwards lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

I made a video of the Special Stages so you can (hopefully) clearly see how they work.  Love 'em or hate 'em!

Oh, when I say "I have nothing more to say so you can stop watching if you want", ignore it.  I remember something afterwards lol.

See here's the problem: Sonic is always moving forward even when you dont boost. Because of this, it's extremely easy to have Sonic go lower or higher than you want to be unless youre standing and holding the 3DS on a perfect 90º angle.

It even happened to you in the beginning. I'm sorry but spinning around with the 3DS makes my arms hurt and my head heavy. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen while playing a video game.

I keep forgetting that you're not a red-headed cartoon girl. 

Thanks for the video upload! X)

• Thumbs Up 3

See here's the problem: Sonic is always moving forward even when you dont boost. Because of this, it's extremely easy to have Sonic go lower or higher than you want to be unless youre standing and holding the 3DS on a perfect 90º angle.

You can hold L or Y to stop Sonic without locking the viewpoint.  I've never used it myself coz I'm a total ninja with the gyro but just double checked the hint message and yeah.  So you can use that for fine adjustment.  Wish I had remembered that for the vid now.

I keep forgetting that you're not a red-headed cartoon girl.

It is the greatest tragedy of my life.

Edited by JezMM

You can hold L or Y to stop Sonic without locking the viewpoint.  I've never used it myself coz I'm a total ninja with the gyro but just double checked the hint message and yeah.  So you can use that for fine adjustment.  Wish I had remembered that for the vid now.

It is the greatest tragedy of my life.

Quite frankly i think movement forward should only happen when you boost. That would make it so much easier to get accostumed to.

Not to mention controlling with the analog stick would eliminate all possible problems people have.

There's no way you could get the fluidity of movement of the gyro out of a control stick.  It's just not sensitive enough.  The entire feel of movement would be severely limited in comparison and you'd prolly have to use the start/stop buttons way more.

Still shoulda been there as an option but... yeah.

Special Stages look alright, sucks when the glass domes come in & they get harder. And SUPER SONIC DOESNT HAVE BOOST LIKE IN THE WII U WTF. Also Jez is you could, upload some Super Sonic footage in Sky Road Zone 1 =D. 

The one thing I don't like about this game is the fact that, yes Super Sonic can use wisps but it cancels out the transformation. At least give Super Sonic the ability to use wisps & make them stronger, I would love to see a gold colored Indigo Asteroid with Red Eyes & it starts off with full debris with longer wisp power usage, that would be FUN AS HELL.

Another thing im not really happy about is the fact that the extra zones are underwhelming, I love them & all but I feel like they were a waste of space & good time collecting Red Star Rings. My idea of Extra Zones for doing so much work to collect the Red Star Rings would be to give us rewarding zones that are like the zones off the Wii U version. I would have prefered the Extra Zones to switch from 2D to 3D so we get a mix of both instead of the whole full 3D almost rehash of the zone. I would want something like the Honeycomb in Desert Ruins as an Extra Zone & the Storm Cloud Desert Ruins for Sky Road, Idk if anyone else feels this way but I sure do.

Overall I love the 3DS version & I cant wait to fucking finally pick up my copy next week, good thing I dont have school Friday or Monday because for some reason going through a school day feels sooooo extra slow and boring... When I get off of break which is ironically the 29th of October, ill have my copy of Sonic Lost World 3DS & I might be online to hang with you guys & discuss shit about the game but I really might just have my eyes glued to my 3DS the whole day & not really give a shit about the Interwebzz.

Btw, who's making a walkthrough/playthrough/stream of the 3DS version when it comes out the 29th?

Super Sonic is wayyyy to OP in the 3DS version, because of his high speeds he can break the Spindash anytime he wants & even better yet, you get to see him on a Snowboard in Frozen Factory =D, also if you hated the Icy Wind Generators in Frozen Factory he can blast straight through them which should help you out greatly when Speedrunnin, especially in Frozen Factory Zone 3 when theres this one section & Zeena's snowball is chasing you & you have to push snowballs in front of Icy Wind Generators, In Holes & In switches to progress & then you have Zeena's snowball chasing you & throwing you everwhere, freezing you all the time & taking away your snowballs :(

AAAANYWAY, you get the point Super Sonic is OP

Edited by Zazz

Special Stages look alright, sucks when the glass domes come in & they get harder. And SUPER SONIC DOESNT HAVE BOOST LIKE IN THE WII U WTF. Also Jez is you could, upload some Super Sonic footage in Sky Road Zone 1 =D. 

The one thing I don't like about this game is the fact that, yes Super Sonic can use wisps but it cancels out the transformation. At least give Super Sonic the ability to use wisps & make them stronger, I would love to see a gold colored Indigo Asteroid with Red Eyes & it starts off with full debris with longer wisp power usage, that would be FUN AS HELL.

Another thing im not really happy about is the fact that the extra zones are underwhelming, I love them & all but I feel like they were a waste of space & good time collecting Red Star Rings. My idea of Extra Zones for doing so much work to collect the Red Star Rings would be to give us rewarding zones that are like the zones off the Wii U version. I would have prefered the Extra Zones to switch from 2D to 3D so we get a mix of both instead of the whole full 3D almost rehash of the zone. I would want something like the Honeycomb in Desert Ruins as an Extra Zone & the Storm Cloud Desert Ruins for Sky Road, Idk if anyone else feels this way but I sure do.

Overall I love the 3DS version & I cant wait to fucking finally pick up my copy next week, good thing I dont have school Friday or Monday because for some reason going through a school day feels sooooo extra slow and boring... When I get off of break which is ironically the 29th of October, ill have my copy of Sonic Lost World 3DS & I might be online to hang with you guys & discuss shit about the game but I really might just have my eyes glued to my 3DS the whole day & not really give a shit about the Interwebzz.

Btw, who's making a walkthrough/playthrough/stream of the 3DS version when it comes out the 29th?

Eh hemm

super sonic can boost, he's exactly like the wii u counterpart

Yah I can't wait any longer till the 29th either and with no demo release in sight I want a broken street date in the US.