Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

It's not that bad as a whole, but I advise avoiding the special stages like the plague. They are bad. Four paragraphs of bad.

Well....I think I'll wait til next year to play the 3DS version...or something...

jesus that bad?...I mean I'm not surprised since it motion control but gawd...

It's not that bad to me, I found Sonic to be 95% controllable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I'll admit fully motion controls aren't my forte and it gives me reasons to believe I have anger management issues. So...yeah, I might not hit those special stages.

First of all, the controls are terrible and LITERALLY painful. I almost broke my fucking spine tilting the 3DS to the point that I had to tilt back my whole goddamn body. I've gone left, right, up and down and all around. Sonic often rotates to the sides, disorienting the view, and I always have to re-adjust the 3DS using the X button to stop Sonic's movement. Speaking of Sonic's movement, the little blue heap of low-polygonal shit keeps moving forward if you're not holding the X button, so I'm always running into time reducers and electric walls when I don't want to, because I'm too distracted by the orb(s) that I'm trying to reach to use the Y button to reposition Sonic. They should've just had Sonic stand still like a good little hedgehog when he's not boosting, that way there would at least be SOME precision.

I'm sorry this made me laugh. Only because I have done the up,down, and all around stuff. I literally have to close my door in my room when I want, excuse me have to play a special stage ( yes because I really want to try Super sonic in actual levels.)

• Thumbs Up 1

The controls aren't bad, sure they make my arm hurt a bit after doing the later ones but thats probably because I never hold my arms up for very long. For the most part it actually controls perfectly for what its made for, its like saying face raiders has horrible control but they work perfectly for what there for. I do wish you could use the control stick but these controls do work, there not broken and in my experience the special stages weren't very hard except for maybe the 6th one.

Auto were you playing sitting down?  It's go all the way or go home with the special stages.  You have to stand in the middle of the room, keep your arms straight and your head locked in view with the 3DS, and move your whole upper body to play.  If you do this they control flawlessly.

I've uhh... also beaten every special stage without collecting a minus time box or hitting any walls so there is no point where they're impossible to avoid.  There are points where they place them right next to an electric attract item thing but I'm pretty sure those are meant to be tricks since you don't need them to beat any stages where they're set up that way.

The attracting shield pops up when you collect lots of the same colour in a row, so it's important to identify the sequences that are set up so you can collect all the orbs of that colour in a row.  Pretty much every stage (excluding the last) has one clearly defined "intended path" through as far as I can tell that lets you keep a combo up the whole time.

Naturally, rainbow orbs are wildcards that can keep your combo going, and are usually found at the end of a "sequence" of one colour, leading to the next colour.

The only mystery to me is sometimes a shield will appear when I've literally gone through a linear pattern of constantly changing colours (I think Special Stage 4 or 5 has sequences like this in spiral staircase esque patterns inside a large structure made out of electric walls).  These have frequently given me attract shields but not sure why.

• Thumbs Up 4

Auto were you playing sitting down?  It's go all the way or go home with the special stages.  You have to stand in the middle of the room, keep your arms straight and your head locked in view with the 3DS, and move your whole upper body to play.  If you do this they control flawlessly.

I've uhh... also beaten every special stage without collecting a minus time box or hitting any walls so there is no point where they're impossible to avoid.  There are points where they place them right next to an electric attract item thing but I'm pretty sure those are meant to be tricks since you don't need them to beat any stages where they're set up that way.

The attracting shield pops up when you collect lots of the same colour in a row, so it's important to identify the sequences that are set up so you can collect all the orbs of that colour in a row.  Pretty much every stage (excluding the last) has one clearly defined "intended path" through as far as I can tell that lets you keep a combo up the whole time.

Naturally, rainbow orbs are wildcards that can keep your combo going, and are usually found at the end of a "sequence" of one colour, leading to the next colour.

The only mystery to me is sometimes a shield will appear when I've literally gone through a linear pattern of constantly changing colours (I think Special Stage 4 or 5 has sequences like this in spiral staircase esque patterns inside a large structure made out of electric walls).  These have frequently given me attract shields but not sure why.

It might be from getting the rainbow orb near the end, im not really sure on it myself but thats the best explanation I can find.

Auto were you playing sitting down?

No, I saw your tutorial before playing the first special stage.

I once collected all the orbs in the seventh stage, but as soon as I touched the emerald, DING DING DING DING, time over! That's some bullshit. That is some bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's weird that you were getting the direction screwing issue then, I've only ever got that from sitting down and twisting the 3DS in my hands to move.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's weird that you were getting the direction screwing issue then, I've only ever got that from sitting down and twisting the 3DS in my hands to move.

Actually, if you sit down in a chair that can turn 360 degrees (like my game chair that ive been using) its very easy to use.

That makes sense.  It's literally only moving the 3DS so your vision is not locked straight ahead to the screen that causes the twisting perspective issues.

I guess one way to describe how to play would be "make sure you play as if 3D is turned on and you don't want to screw up your view of it" (even though it's still better to play with 3D off).

JESUS H. CHRIST, THE SPECIAL STAGES ARE GOD AWFUL!! I've never played such an uncontrollable, not thought out special stage in a Sonic game until this game, where one asshole in the development team said, "HEY, LET'S HAVE SUPER SONIC UNLOCKABLE BY MAKING THE PLAYER FLY THROUGH SPACE WITH COLLECTABLE ORBS, A GROWING SHIELD THAT ATTRACTS SAID ORBS AND ONLY APPEARS WHEN IT WANTS TO, AND PLACE ITEMS THAT TAKE AWAY TIME FROM THE COUNTDOWN TIMER," AND ANOTHER ASSHOLE SAID, "Hmm, that's not hemorrhoid-inducing enough. It's close, but no cigar..... I KNOW," and both of the fucking smegheads said "MOTION CONTROLS!!!!!"

First of all, the controls are terrible and LITERALLY painful. I almost broke my fucking spine tilting the 3DS to the point that I had to tilt back my whole goddamn body. I've gone left, right, up and down and all around. Sonic often rotates to the sides, disorienting the view, and I always have to re-adjust the 3DS using the X button to stop Sonic's movement. Speaking of Sonic's movement, the little blue heap of low-polygonal shit keeps moving forward if you're not holding the X button, so I'm always running into time reducers and electric walls when I don't want to, because I'm too distracted by the orb(s) that I'm trying to reach to use the Y button to reposition Sonic. They should've just had Sonic stand still like a good little hedgehog when he's not boosting, that way there would at least be SOME precision.

Weird, I already passed all the special stages and I only got my arms sightly tired for holding the Nintendo 3DS so much, since I replayed the 7th special stage like 5 times, but the gyro controls are pretty precise and natural. Yeah, they may not be the most comfortable thing ever, but they're not THAT bad. 

Can someone please tell me where the fourth red ring at on frozen factory 2?

Working from memory here but, somewhere just before the final large area with the rotating platform sequence before the final checkpoint with the single moving platform going along.

Backtrack from the left of said large area with the circular moving platforms, and then head sort of downwards.  You're looking for a thin opening in a wall that is encased in ice, with a life inside (I think).  You want to use a Laser Wisp on the nearby crystals to head through this iced over opening.  The Red Ring is beyond.

If I recall, while you will be at a disadvantage, you CAN backtrack from the final checkpoint to get this one, should you accidentally go that far.

Edited by JezMM

Can someone please tell me where the fourth red ring at on frozen factory 2?

Just found the red ring, jez is correct, ps you don't have to backtrack. Ok so it's at about the half way point of the level, make sure that after you hit the large spring to go to area 2 you take the highest path where laser is above spikes, next you'll enter an area of moving platforms, move right toward the wall past the platforms holding right until you see a 1up in a crystal use laser then you will have your red ring. Ps it might be easier to use super sonic.

Edited by Blue Star Blur

Indeed you shouldn't NEED to back track but I never found it going in the right direction so I only know the way there from the checkpoint that comes after it lol.

Auto, I'm just gonna say this right now. As someone that just finished the Special Stages yesterday, Super Sonic is worth it. Oh so worth it. It will make you grin from ear to ear.

I will agree though. Stopped right when you get the emerald? That is some bullshit.

Something like that happened to me with Special Stage 6. I got the last orb, and I'm real close to the emerald. But there was a minus 5 second box near me, and the damned electric wall stuns me right into it. So I have to move quick, and I'm within breathing distance of the emerald, but NOPE! Time's up son.

I got it on the next attempt, but sheesh, I almost ragequit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super Sonic is worth it. Oh so worth it. It will make you grin from ear to ear.

I've just collected the seventh emerald (satisfied I am), I'll be the judge of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've just collected the seventh emerald (satisfied I am), I'll be the judge of that.

Trust me you will be satisfied, his speed is so fast that you can actually skip the second boss encounter in Windy hill 3, it also makes collecting red rings ALOT less tedious, although the forced wisp usage kind of kills it for me.  

Ok frozen factory 3's second red ring has me quite confused I know it's at the end of the second area above an area of transparent blue platforms and I know it probably requires quake, but what the heck do I do, I tried destroying as many pillars as I could, but to no avail, nothing as happened, do I actually have to destroy all the pillars?

Just as I expected, Super Sonic's basically a more faster and invincible Sonic. His normal speed is as fast as Sonic's run, second speed is slightly faster, and three spin dash.... Holy shit, the spin dash, as if it wasn't already a better boost. The jump is kinda tough to handle. Overall, it's a satisfactory prize for playing with terribly controlled special stages, definitely worth it.

Trust me you will be satisfied, his speed is so fast that you can actually skip the second boss encounter in Windy hill 3, it also makes collecting red rings ALOT less tedious, although the forced wisp usage kind of kills it for me.  

Ok frozen factory 3's second red ring has me quite confused I know it's at the end of the second area above an area of transparent blue platforms and I know it probably requires quake, but what the heck do I do, I tried destroying as many pillars as I could, but to no avail, nothing as happened, do I actually have to destroy all the pillars?

OK, so after you exited the transporter, you should see two springs that is lock inside of those capsules.

Roll the snowball to the left hole, and then jump into the spring to launch you to the pillar. Now you should see another pillar that have rings on the wall at your left , so just use quake to climb up it and when you reach the top, ground pound on the switch to make the blue platform appear and just roll on it.

That red ring stumped me for ages too.  The "track" area with a ton of Quake Blocks is such a horrifically designed red herring.  Even ignoring red rings I dunno how the hell that area is set up with the idea that it's possible to destroy all of them or that that quake shortcut has any point to it when compared to the quake shortcut that leads to the red ring.

im ashamed to admit this but that was probably the only red ring I didn't legitimately get, I actually just used the hover RC to get it instead since I never really did find the switch that was supposed to activate that path.

im ashamed to admit this but that was probably the only red ring I didn't legitimately get, I actually just used the hover RC to get it instead since I never really did find the switch that was supposed to activate that path.

Face palm, why didn't I think of that...!

OK, so after you exited the transporter, you should see two springs that is lock inside of those capsules.

Roll the snowball to the left hole, and then jump into the spring to launch you to the pillar. Now you should see another pillar that have rings on the wall at your left , so just use quake to climb up it and when you reach the top, ground pound on the switch to make the blue platform appear and just roll on it.

Second Face palm, I forgot about that area, anyways thank you and I hope you also found frozen factory 2's 4th ring.