Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

It's a pretty fair comparison, IF you got a screenshot from Tropical Resort DS, comparing a 3DS screenshot, to a main Wii title is pretty unfair.

I don't think this is a fair comparison.

I'm not sure why, but I just don't.

But that's just what I think.

Colors doesn't even look like that on real Wii hardware, Dolphin is a different strory. :P

Wouldn't a comparison shot with Lost World U make more sense? The art styles between Colors and Lost World are vastly different to begin with. I don't think comparing it with Colors is fair.

In the context of the art style, Lost World 3DS (at least Windy Hill) doesn't look that much different from the Wii U version, besides the granted technical downgrades. 

I think we need to see more of the 3DS version before we can start spelling "DOOM" for this version. You never know... this could be the better flavor of Lost World.

Wouldn't a comparison shot with Lost World U make more sense? The art styles between Colors and Lost World are vastly different to begin with. I don't think comparing it with Colors is fair.

In the context of the art style, Lost World 3DS (at least Windy Hill) doesn't look that much different from the Wii U version, besides the granted technical downgrades. 

I think we need to see more of the 3DS version before we can start spelling "DOOM" for this version. You never know... this could be the better flavor of Lost World.

I partially agree with you but I'll safely bet the Wii U version will be better. Not just graphics, but level design, mechanics and controls.

I think that Sonic's model needs to be updated, it uses the exact same one as Gens 3DS. Sega really needs to sort Dimps out, even though they are doing 3D stages they're still half-assing it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I felt it was more fair to compare it with Sonic Colors instead due to the fact that 3DS and Wii (which is a GC coated with different paint in terms of tech) are similar in horsepower, given with Color's visual achievement on the Wii with it's PhysX Engine, i cannot see how it isn't possible to replicate that on the 3DS version of SLW. 

That's all fine and dandy, but the fact of the matter is that they are using extremely different art styles. Your comparison isn't going to work as well because Lost World in general isn't trying to look as detailed as Sonic Colors did.

True, but at least it could still look better than what it is right now if Dimps hasn't stuck with Generation 3DS' visuals instead. But i can't do much about it so we get what we get lol. 

That's all fine and dandy, but the fact of the matter is that they are using extremely different art styles. Your comparison isn't going to work as well because Lost World in general isn't trying to look as detailed as Sonic Colors did.

Doesn't that give Lost World 3DS even less of an excuse? Since it should be easier to make a beautiful looking game with that style of graphics. 

I don't see where it's failing with that, though. It looks just fine to me, if a little plainer. Like I said, there should be an expected technical downgrade.

Besides, we haven't seen much of anything besides Windy Hill and one act of Desert Ruins, which looks pretty nice so far.

Windy Hill 1 on Wii U looks fun as hell, while Windy Hill 1 on 3DS looks bland and boring. The 3DS version is much more linear and empty. There's no waterfalls or anything there either. Desert Ruins looks decent, but the level design looks pretty tedious and boring, due to how the puzzles are handled. Sonic looks harder to control in that version too. Sonic's character model in the 3DS version is ugly and low poly; ASRT 3DS and M&S London 2012 3DS have much nicer looking character models. He looks like a cardboard cutout there, yet the enemies look nice, making him look out of place. The game just reeks of being a cheap, rushed cash-in. I hope I turn out to be wrong, but I feel Dimps is still half-assing it, regardless of the fact that this is the first 3D handheld Sonic game.

Actually it only lags at times in cutscenes with 3D on (though most of it still stays smooth), but there where other small parts where it would dip without the 3D turned up as well.

As for KH3D's gameplay, there's no difference in framerate even if you turn the 3D slider up. The game will still dip during heavy effects and a large amount of enemies on screen, you won't gain any performance increase with 3D off. I tried testing very carefully on that aspect and there is no mistaking that fact. However month's ago an update for the 3DS caused game's with uncapped FPS issues to gain improved performance, KH3D being one of them. The difference with Riku vs Wargoyle for example, was one of the most notable in regards to frame rate dips not happening nearly as much as it used to every time Wargoyle starts the battle with launching crystal-like projectiles at you. Of course not all of the issues were completely gone, but the improvements where still there. :3

I literally just played this game a couple weeks ago and finished it. I turned off the 3D in certain boss battles to keep the frame rate running smoothly, especially with certain powers (Sparkga) that would chug the system a bit. I'm not saying you're testing is fake, but there's no way turning off 3D didn't help the game keep a better framerate. The 3D tasks the system twice so it's going to do some performance dipping.

It's odd though because looking on the internet, I'm seeing two stories. People are reporting both of our versions. Lag reduced with 3D off and no effect with 3D off. Odd.

Anyways, the point was that 3D tasks the system. We've seen games where performance is better with it off or that it has added features such as anti-aliasing to use the extra power with 3D off.

But still, I feel it's a little unfair we're taking badly taken screenshots of the tutorial level/first levels to judge the entire game. I say we wait until we get a build with new levels before we say it looks like crap. We should also wait for a chance to see a 3DS demo too because 3DS games always look like crap in screens.

Edited by Autosaver

I'm not just judging it by screenshots, I'm also judging the E3 demo footage showing the 3 levels IGN posted. Granted, it's still an early build, but it doesn't look that good to me; even in motion.

Edited by Tomoki

Dimps.

Better flavor.

Pick one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be honest - I think the graphics look nice. Not beautiful (that'd be an overstatement), but nice. It IS true however, that the level seems to fail to 'pop' by not having a unique setpiece, such as Windy Hill WiiU's waterfalls and windmill. Still... I don't get how this is supposed to look 'ugly'. Sure, it's not the best graphics, but I really just think it's okay to look at, even if nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just an observation, but it would seem Sonic can't climb moving platforms with his parkour skills.

Also this game is actually looking REALLY fun, like it looks pretty damn awesome to me at least!

My only gripe is that awful close up on Sonic when he uses the big springs, can you not animate it more? Like make him twirl like he does after hitting a trick ramp in Generations?

Also the timer stops when he hits a big spring until he lands, nice one SEGA~

Edited by Super Soniko

It's not anything new, though. The footage is still from E3. Man, I wish we could get some Comic-Con footage.

I still wish they got rid of the area transitions and spruced up the parkour movement with allowing Sonic to move into any direction like the console version instead of being locked to a straight line.

Otherwise that still looked fun for the 3DS version. :3

• Thumbs Up 3

I still wish they got rid of the area transitions and spruced up the parkour movement with allowing Sonic to move into any direction like the console version instead of being locked to a straight line.

Otherwise that still looked fun for the 3DS version. :3

Couldn't hurt to at least add some trees, Windmills, waterfalls, sheep, etc. to liven things up. The levels look too dull and static in this version.

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks like a severely watered down WiiU version. It looks enjoyable to some extent but it doesn't look like the replayability is going to be high for this level.

Anyway, the footage is quite old so maybe later there will be something really interesting, cause so far the 3DS version looks boring.

*video*

Something about those controls feel a bit weird... I think they might be either too loose or too precise - I'm not the best person when it comes to describing things like these. Still, with all the Nintendo partnership, I kind of think it would had been better if Sonic kind of had the handling of Super Mario 3D Land or something like that, just faster.

I think the word you're looking for is "twitchy." In both the 3DS and Wii U versions, Sonic's turning mechanics are very sensitive, possibly because of the many sharp angles in the game's level design. While it seems useful when making those high-speed right angle turns, it is very annoying for the more intricate platforming segments, and exploring seems like it can be a bit frustrating.

This is probably the biggest (biggest relevant) complaint about the game so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing this makes me wish for some new footage for this version too. As for this video, my only gripes seem to be the transitions and the level design. I mean, I know this has some influence from Galaxy, but does Sonic have to leave an area by just flying and dropping in place? It's probably the camera angle that's bugging me, but still... 

The levels also seem a bit too linear for my tastes. I see an upper and lower path, but what about the up down and all around east and west paths? Isn't this why the whole tubular / cylinder structure was thought up in the first place? This version is meant to be different from the Wii U, but i didn't really expect this. Looks fun to play though.