Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

I think the word you're looking for is "twitchy." In both the 3DS and Wii U versions, Sonic's turning mechanics are very sensitive, possibly because of the many sharp angles in the game's level design. While it seems useful when making those high-speed right angle turns, it is very annoying for the more intricate platforming segments, and exploring seems like it can be a bit frustrating.

This is probably the biggest (biggest relevant) complaint about the game so far.

I'm sure that should be fixed in the final build, since i remembered playing the Generations demo with Classic Sonic and how i felt a bit weird until they tweaked him more once the full game released (i think).

He looks more twitchy in the 3DS version. It looks like it's similar to Sonic Colors in that the directions he can move in is limited and not full 360.

• Thumbs Up 1

I already posted this in  but while I didn't get to actually play the 3DS version at Summer of Sonic, I did get to watch someone play through part of the pyramid level. From what I could see, it looked very similar to Rush, but with noticeable lag all over the place. It's not like there was a hell of a lot going on in the level either. =/ Oh well; at least the Wii U version is looking good.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I said this before, but gosh am i the only one who noticed Tails's character model looked pretty good on the 3DS version?

I said this before, but gosh am i the only one who noticed Tails's character model looked pretty good on the 3DS version?

Yeah, it did! They must have improved the character models since we first seen the 3DS version's graphics. I hope this is the case.

The model looks closer to the Mario and Sonic series design. Which is a good sign.

• Thumbs Up 1

The model looks closer to the Mario and Sonic series design. Which is a good sign.

Definitely a good sign. You think that the cutscenes might be fully animated this time, like the 3DS version of M&S London 2012 ?

As nice as Tail's model is, I'm more interested in seeing more footage from this game, the 3D sections look awesome but frustratingly restricting due to what I'm guessing is the hardwares limitations, but I'm not impressed with the slow, 2D levels, I'd be happy if they got rid of the 2D and just focused on making expansive 3D worlds.

Yeahhhh still not sold on this version. It looks amazing, but how will it play? And the fact that it once again looks like a watered down handheld port of a better game just...no, I'd rather get the Wii U version!

Don't even get me started on Dimps! When was the last time they made a good game?

Don't even get me started on Dimps! When was the last time they made a good game?

In 2010 when they developed Sonic Colors DS.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even then it was still a watered down version of the Wii game, The last generally good game Dimps! made was probably Rush Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least this watered down version is in 3D. Which already makes it more appealing to me. I was never a huge fan of Dimps whole "watered down 2D only" games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even then it was still a watered down version of the Wii game.

I wouldn't say that. It's very a different game and unlike Dimps' Sonic Lost World, it didn't try to be like the console version, outside of having wisps, the same stages and the name "Sonic Colors". It wasn't as fun, but the level design was generally better, mainly because it had more alternate routs.

The only issue I see so far is that the 3D sections are so simple and straight forward in this version.

Wii U --> Sonic 3D World

3DS --> Sonic 3D Land

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm liking what has been shown of the 3DS version so far. Dimps finally making a 3D third person Sonic title makes me very glad.

The graphics are nice, even though the textures and shading are very basic and don't use the power of the 3DS' graphical capabilities.

It's good to see that all of the abilities with the exception of the kick attack, which I'm not very fond of, anyway, are here. I previously commented that the stunning somersault looks cool, but looking back at it now, I think it would slow down gameplay, and would only be useful in puzzle based stages like the 2D palace stage. The homing attack and spin dash are enough to take out enemies.

My main issue is the linearity. I don't have any issues with linearity, as long as there's stuff to do and obstacles and whatnot, like the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Sonic Heroes, and the 3D levels of Sonic Lost World 3DS, but the Wii U version's tube design allows the player to walk around it and take alternate paths, and so far, I'm seeing none of this in the handheld version. The 3D stages that have been shown obstruct the sides and bottom of the tubes with gates, slabs and what seems to be dangerous sand. I mean, the main levels look fun enough, but if the game is trying to live up to the console version, it should have the same amount of exploration.

Overall, I think that while SLW 3DS will obviously be a watered down version of SLW U, I think I'll still have fun with it. Red Ring hunts will certainly add to the fun and replayability, just like what they did for the other games they were in.

Everybody! There was a direct feed recording of the 3DS version after the Direct session. The Drill Wisp was showed off, and it seems like the awkward loading transitions might be gone too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITkRNH9jbQ

• Thumbs Up 6

Despite my earlier complaints, it looks pretty fun overall. Jun'ichi Kanemaru's voice ftw. <333333

EDIT: It looks like they changed the loading transition to look less jarring by having the screen fade out to black and fade back in; ASTEROID's jingle has been changed as well.

Edited by Tomoki

Everybody! There was a direct feed recording of the 3DS version after the Direct session. The Drill Wisp was showed off, and it seems like the awkward loading transitions might be gone too.

I don't get the hate some people are having for the 3DS version. What were people expecting? At least it isn't another Generations 3DS with no 3D segments. Although we have yet to see how many 3D stages are actually in the game so I could be wrong.

I'm actually starting to like the 3DS version again, now that I've seen that footage. I dunno, something about it just looks... better than before. It looks a helluva lot better than Sonic 4, Gens 3DS and Colors DS. Dimps might actually be trying this time! Can't wait for October 22nd!

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 4

*Auto Likes This ✓* (I'm out of likes :x )

Sweet, they've updated Indigo Asteroid's theme. I love the ambient atmosphere of it. I can't wait to play the game while RCS's new voice clips play sporadically, Sonic sounds like he's having so much fun now.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 3

*Auto Likes This ✓* (I'm out of likes :x )

Sweet, they've updated Indigo Asteroid's theme. I love the ambient atmosphere of it. I can't wait to play the game while RCS'snew voice clips play sporadically, Sonic sounds like he's having so much fun now.

That's his Japanese voice, Jun'ichi Kanemaru, actually. If only the 3DS version would have the option to switch to the JP voices, but I highly doubt it.

The 3DS version looks pretty good to me. Obviously the inferior version but it oughta be a fun enough distraction.

That's his Japanese voice, Jun'ichi Kanemaru, actually. If only the 3DS version would have the option to switch to the JP voices, but I highly doubt it.
I'm aware, I was referring to the English dub.
  • Thumbs Up 1