Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Steven_Universe_pre-release_poster.jpg

Rebecca Sugar, music maker and storyboard artist who helped created I Remember You and Simon and Marcy from Adventure Time, had branched out to create a new cartoon on CN, Steven Universe.

I've created this since a preview clip for the show is up on CN's site along with other cartoon shorts (that may or may not be previews to new toons as well): http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/cartoon-network-shorts/video/steven-universe-clip.html

Garnet (the girl in the middle of the pic) looks pretty bad@$$ and the clip was pretty funny and the premise seems to be shaping up into something really interesting, promising and good along the way. 

So anyone excited for this?

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 5

I just watched preview for the clip. It looks like a pretty fun watch, and the style's kinda giving me a Scott Pilgrim meets Adventure Time feel. (Guess I shouldn't be surprised by the latter, considering the creator's worked on it before.)

So is this gonna webshow or is it gonna air on TV? Either way, I'm kinda interested.

When I saw that poster, I knew instantly it was from the creators of Adventure Time. And I don't like that show. *sigh*

Woah! This looks awesome! It's almost like Gravity Falls' art style mixed with Adventure Time scenarios... love it! I can see this being a phenomenal show. Of what I can tell, everything's likeable. The art, the humor,the story, the music, (ukulele, duh!) and the characters! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

• Thumbs Up 1

So is this gonna webshow or is it gonna air on TV? Either way, I'm kinda interested.

At the moment there's just a pilot, but I heard it's already been approved for a series on CN.

Anyway, watched the pilot yesterday and thought it was pretty enjoyable. I'm interested in seeing how the actual series turns out. 

Edited by elementofchaos

• 5 months later...

WHY HAS EVERYONE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS IT PREMIERES TONIGHT I AM SO HYPED

BY THE WAY PART OF THE FIRST EPISODE SOMEHOW LEAKED YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ysWag1oTo 

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought that was pretty good. In terms of tone it seems a lot more sweet and good-natured n comparison to the more wackier Adventure Time. Nice animation (especially like the scene with the petals scene, dat background) too.

And the scene where that mother monster got defeated is totally Pokemon. Similar sound effect and the monster is even captured in a small ball like thing!

Also love the fact that they revived the old Cartoon Network Studios logo (when they show a small clip of the show's characters doing something in a style of rough pencil sketches). <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Based off the first episode, it doesn't look like my sort of thing. The instant he broke out into a rap, I was done (I get enough of that from Regular Show, and even that I'm beginning to tire of). But I will say that the animation looks pretty great, and the concept somewhat original. The premise behind the show just doesn't really appeal to me all that much. 

All of that being said, I'm at the very least thankful that this isn't another Uncle Grandpa or MAD. It actually has the potential to shape into something at least somewhat worth watching.

EDIT: Only skimmed through it the first time. Decided to watch it again front to back to make sure I was getting a fair impression of it. 

Not bad! Much better than most of the junk they've put out recently, and I mean much. But still not sure if its for me or not. I immediately noticed was the return of the old Cartoon Network Studios animation and the Cartoon Cartoons jingle behind it! Awesome!

I don't actively have an issue with this being shown on CN. Its one of the very few promising shows they have at the moment.

Edited by Cyalume

I know I said I was interested in the show, but I watched the pilot again some time ago, and there was something about Steven himself that just annoyed me. Not to mention I'm not a fan of the new artstyle, which looks a bit ugly IMO.

Still, it's way too early for me to judge from just the pilot and a few pictures. I think I'll give a few episodes a try before writing it off.

I watched the first half. 

This show seems a bit childish compared to the more universal Adventure Time and Regular Show, but I still like it. It's pretty charming.

After watching the premiere, I have to say while it may not be as wacky as Adventure Time, this show doesn't look bad at all! I'm really digging the background music used too! Here's to hoping they keep up the good work!

Fun fact about Garnet is that she is voiced by English R&B singer and songwriter, Estelle, who collaborated with Kanye West for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

Fun fact about Garnet is that she is voiced by English R&B singer and songwriter, Estelle, who collaborated with Kanye West for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

Whoa, seriously? That's amazing ahahahaha.

I actually got a serious R&B vibe from her deadpan english accent but finding out it was Estelle has blown my mind. So cool!

This show is brilliant.

I really don't know another way to describe it. It's just so well animated, expressive and well constructed. And the art style and character designs are fantastic (yeah I actually really like the new designs over the originals). Looking forward to more episodes :J

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally gave it a chance, and... it was pretty good. I didn't think it was as spectacular as everyone made it out to be. I don't really care much for harem-esue shows, personally, but can say it was better than I originally thought.

I think what I like best about the show is how well the characters play off of each other,I like the family-like relationship Steven and the Gems seem to have. (I pray to god there wont be any romantic crushes or crap like that. I think Adventure Time went downhill once that stuff was brought up, among other things.) Not to mention the scenes with Steven and his dad were quite heartwarming.  

I also commend the creators for not making Steven a huge butt monkey like most other shows with a mostly female cast does with their male protagonist (I'm looking at you My Little Pony.) 

I still think Steven is pretty annoying, but not as unbearable I thought he was. Though the whole gem stuck in his belly button thing feels like an excuse for the portly protagonist to play with his gut, which kinda falls flat, IMO. Though at least the reason for the gem may have been hinted at in the show, rather than just throwing it in for the sake of fat jokes.

All in all, I'm not really feeling into it as the rest of you guys, but it certainly isn't as silly as I thought it would be.

Edited by Robrainiac

I love how much Steven looks up to the Gems. Not that that's surprising, those ladies are amazing.

Watching the first episode a second time, I find the casual way Pearl snaps one of the centipede things' neck HILARIOUS. You know, for kids!

Oh, and I wonder what chance there is we'll get an OST released or something because the BGM is amazing.

I don't really care much for harem-esue shows

what

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 2

what

Well last I checked whole "Male surrounded by female characters" thing was called Harem... Unless you've got a better name for it,(One that preferribly doesn't have a... reputation so to say) then that's what I'm calling it. XP

Edited by Robrainiac

Show's pretty good so far! Really digging the art style and animation. The characters are pretty likable too, well... Steven's a little annoying right now, but I think he'll probably get better as it goes along.

Well last I checked whole "Male surrounded by female characters" thing was called Harem... Unless you've got a better name for it,(One that preferribly doesn't have a... reputation so to say) then that's what I'm calling it. XP

By that logic MLP is also a harem series. :U From what I've read, it's supposed to be a coming of age story, kinda like Finn growing up in Adventure Time, I think.

There would need to be some kind of romantic tension for it to be a harem. This is more like Steven hangs out and try to impress his cool older sister than a harem show. I don't think it should be in that category. As said above, looks way more like a coming of age story that just happens to have a lot of girls in it. 

I wish steven was a little less of a goofball but I think a lot of the jokes wouldn't work if he was more serious, especially with how he plays off against Garnet and Pearl as is.

Fair enough. I knew "harem" was probably a poor choice of words, but I decided to go with it anyway expecting someone to call me out on it. 

Hopefully this one will be much better at telling a coming of age story than Adventure Time, which which I just can't take seriously at all.

And I also heard that Joel Hodgeson (Aka best MST3k host) will be guest starring in an episode?

screweverythingIjustsaidthisisthebestshowofforever 

By that logic MLP is also a harem series. :U

Y-you mean it isn't?

everything bronies say are lies. D:

and i don't even like the Spike episodes...

For the record, I wasn't calling you out, I just thought it was a weird word choice. tongue.png

I'm already seeing the coming of age theme. Y'now, Steven figuring out his powers and trying to prove he can be a hero like the other Crystal Gems. I find him pretty endearing so far and I'm interested in seeing how his character develops, but I see why people could find him annoying, I guess? I dunno.

Anyway yeah, I was rewatching the first episode since I only saw the leak, so I didn't get to see episode two (Laser Light Cannon). Steven's dad is basically how I imagine myself in 30 or so years, which is probably really sad. Also, apparently Steven's mom sacrificed her physical form for Steven to exist or something???????? What???? I mean, I'll roll with it, but dang.

I'll get to Episodes 3 & 4...right now, I guess!

EDIT: Please tell me this postman dude is a recurring character. He is my favourite character. All hail the postman.

Edited by ElementofChaos

I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by this show.  Didn't think I'd like it at all, but it is rather enjoyable.  Steven can be a little annoying at times, but that's par for the course with me and little kid characters trying to compete with older characters.  But at least he never comes across as useless or even stupid, just really naive.  I think all the Gems are rather fun characters, too, each with their own personality that helps them stand out from one another.

I just hope there's a good back story that will be unveiled as the show goes on.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one for a while.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Frybo was such a silly episode. I loved it.

When Steven's pants were alive and running around the house at the beginning, it reminded me of the Jimmy Neutron cartoons's first episode. XP