Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Well the show is all about telling kids to be who they are so maybe its message is to feel comfortable wearing less

Spoiler

I love the fact that Peridot was Static Shock and Obsidian had the flameblade from Breath of the Wild

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a resolute conclusion.

Spoiler

Was looking for a meme, but yeah, the second half increasingly "let's get it all in there!" Not that that was a problem, just you could tell they were rushing to acknowledge a lot of things.

Had to laugh at the halftime. Even if it was indeed a fakeout.

That animation bump in the climax was bizarre.

Loved Ronaldo, Padparascha, and Jasper's reactions.

Also, am I the only one who felt a little for White at the end? Poor woman has no idea how to feel about anything.

oh boy I finished the seasons finale a bit ago and I got lots of feels,

Spoiler

I loved it a lot . was it a bit rushed? yes but I also heard that season 6 and a movie is confirmed? which will confirm a few loose ends I guess? but this did feel like  the happy ending of SU So I am confused anyway Did anyone else notice this too? http://kellodrawsalot.tumblr.com/post/182223796524/its-a-very-small-detail-and-blink-and-you-miss

Few things I didnt like, WHERE is my lapidot fusion? Sunstone looks...very very silly I was a bit taken aback, but hey Pearl and Steven's fusion made it up but I wished we seen those fusions in bonding-episodes with Steven and Pearl and Garnet instead of it being rushed like this but oh wel,

The animation for this special fantastic, (the guy who worked on Prince of Egypt and Eldardo worked on some scenes and it shows!) the fact that Steven almost died was woa and the the fact that White was an off -color all along was great twist, I got lots of things to say but I wanna go back to drawing but I loved this. Great job crewverse

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

oh boy I finished the seasons finale a bit ago and I got lots of feels,

Hide contents

the fact that White was an off -color all along was great twist

Oh, is THAT the implication?

Spoiler

I thought it was supposed to be an Illumina situation?.

Spoiler

My interest in Steven Universe has been dwindling for quite a while now, but these last few episodes have been fantastic. I loved everything about this finale. I wasn’t expecting them to pull off the duel camera gimmick, and saw what they were going for the instant it started, but that whole scene was directed so well and they pulled it off better than I ever could have thought.

The James Baxter segment was beautiful as well—everything about it. This is the best ending for the show I could’ve hoped for. They didn’t waste their time, it was emotional and gripping. I can’t wait to see where they go with the movie and any other potential seasons, considering how resolute the finale was (even if there are some plot threads left hanging).

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, is THAT the implication?

Hide contents

I thought it was supposed to be an Illumina situation?.

Spoiler

I’m pretty sure the implication was that they’re all off-colors, anything that isn’t White and doesn’t directly adhere to their intended function.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed it for the most part, even if I was kinda hoping the message would end up being, not everyone can be convinced, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Since it's true to the world that not everyone is going to come over and simply change to a kinder belief etc. Maybe the movie will have that be the message because that really hits close to reality. I know I've been in the spot where I try my hardest to be nice and reasonable, but nothing works and someone is just an asshole. Like it's worth trying to save everyone, even if it doesn't always work out.

Though I was kinda bugged with White.....

Spoiler

Not just trying to do her mind control thing on Steven. You'd think like the others she'd try that immediately, but didn't here. I can come to my own conclusions as to why. Possibly because she was closer to pink and wanted to here her conform to White's belief. Something like that. I guess it could be argued that Pink Steven was when she tried it but failed....perhaps. I dunno. 

Spoiler

66f.png

Peridot's shades, Lapis's pants, even both of their hairstyles combined... Even the fact drills are a common weapon in this series.

You all know what the Lapidot fusion is gonna be, right?

Spoiler

latest?cb=20121220155814

"I'm going to tell you something important now, so you better dig the wax out of those huge ears of yours and listen! The reputation of the Crystal Gems echo far and wide. When they talk about its badass leader - the Gem of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Kamina!"

it ain't subtle, they've clearly set it up as such

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved it. All of it. Yes, it was clearly rushed, even for an hour long special, but what the fuck ever. Even the one story problem I was a bit iffy on I ended up just now changing my mind (hah) on when I re-watched it.

Spoiler

The whole thing with White Diamond towards the end was that thing. Everything leading up to it made sense. It followed the logic of the scene and it worked to not contradict any of what we were shown or what was implied. A part of me was probably thinking that they were going to go for the more irredeemable villain angle. Plus, with all the stuff about the wars and planet conquering still up in the air, it felt a little too sudden because of the nature of the bigger picture. 

That said, I changed my mind.

The direction it went is actually really heart-warming and adorable. I think what I wanted wasn't necessarily for them to just... shatter White Diamond. The idea of it kind of makes me queasy now that I think about it. I think it was mostly due to how fast things played out. The final climactic confrontation, despite taking up a significant amount of the episode, felt like it left a few discussions about the nature of what they were doing on the table. The actual events that transpired, however, I love. 

Especially after re-watching the final song and looking over White's expressions. She's clearly uncomfortable, confused, and lost. She really doesn't know what to do or how to take any of this and it's... really freaking cute. That smile she gave Steven was just... god damn. And that song. I didn't cry but I feel like I should have.

There's still a movie coming up and apparently there's rumblings of a Season 6. My guess, and what I heard, was that this episode was structured this way just in case we didn't get renewed for a sixth season. That's probably the really smart thing to do. Resolving the conflict with the Diamonds doesn't need to spell the end but it would seem like an appropriate one if that were the case.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

66f.png

Peridot's shades, Lapis's pants, even both of their hairstyles combined... Even the fact drills are a common weapon in this series.

Hide contents

latest?cb=20121220155814

"I'm going to tell you something important now, so you better dig the wax out of those huge ears of yours and listen! The reputation of the Crystal Gems echo far and wide. When they talk about its badass leader - the Gem of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Kamina!"

That would be awesome!

I'm iffy on some plot points, but I can't hate this resolution. It's basically the embodiment of everything this series represents, so with that it's a pretty damn good finale

I'm so.....mixed on this finale. Especially if this is really it.

Now even if it isn't, I'll just say this for now. While the episode felt like fun and fantastic material.....it was rushed. And the thing that bugs me is that...we really didn't need to rush this. If we'd spent more time with the gem stuff.

Like, am I the only one who was thinking WHERE WAS ALL OF THIS AWESOME STUFF throughout this season!?

For as great as this was, it could've been immensely better if they'd distributed time dedicated to these things better across this season.

That said, the callbacks and the way this show came around are quite keen, I won't deny. It's just.....man, the pacing of this show. It kinda feels like we had a rough journey to get to the goods. Not in the sense of in-story, I mean experiencing the episodes varying sense of quality ever since Season 4 and especially with Season 5.

16 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

66f.png

Hide contents

latest?cb=20121220155814

Oh, for fux sake! :lol:

I never did watch that show.

Here's a neat little thing:

James Baxter just put up a YouTube video of the pencils of the Stevens fusion.

Edited by Potada
Making sure spoiler worked.
  • Thumbs Up 6

20 hours ago, Potada said:

Here's a neat little thing:

Hide contents

James Baxter just put up a YouTube video of the pencils of the Stevens fusion.

This. This is just beautiful. 

One scene. It only took one scene for the ultimate resolution of Steven's character arc. 

Spoiler

"Steven we can't both exist.

ChangeYourMind1.PNG.d3a3c9c8b03ce2014197e14c6a1178d9.PNG

"I'm going to become half of you.

ChangeYourMind2.PNG.92d1f651c25c2b4dd63af3955d8c7b97.PNG

"And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself? That's me. Loving you and loving being you."

Hi, did someone say that was rushed? Quite the contrary. 

The whole series has been building up to this very moment. Steven needed to learn and accept himself and love himself in the face of all opposition. 

Spoiler

I mean, did the Diamond conflict end abruptly? Not really, actually. This was just an abusive family where the abused queer kid finally stood up to them after all of this time and said, "No. I love myself. I am worth loving." 

It may be anticlimactic to you but think of it this way. This show has always been more about the characters and their internal and external conflicts than big epic fights. Why do you think Steven spent so much time with everyone who lived in Beach City? It wasn't filler. It was never filler. 

Steven was learning social skills every step of the way and how to deal with problems. Everything mattered. I mean okay maybe not the Uncle Grandpa episode but for 99 % of the show? Everything matters. 

Besides, you think this is just the end. It's the end of a long five season story arc, yes. But a new one is opening up.

Spoiler

What is Gem Culture like on Earth now that everyone is healed and how are they coping with years of being broken messes? How is Homeworld going to change in light of all that has happened? And is there the possibility that we'll be meeting one more threat who cannot be reasoned with easily for the movie? 

This ending is only the beginning of another story and another test. By that time, we may have a sequel series instead of an actual Season 6. And I'm here for it. 

Pretty sure the problem was never that the slice-of-life episodes didn't literally matter, it was that they was boring and didn't feel important or connected in the slightest (the other gems just straight up disappear in a lot of them), which won't change no matter how much they can debatably have effected the main character in hindsight. At the very least, whatever resolution you find in those plotlines and characters having existed does not justify how much fucking time they took that could have been spent on pacing all the stuff they crammed into Change Your Mind better. The episode very obviously either:

A. Saved up a ton of important moments that could have been earlier to inject the special with as much fanservice talking-points as possible

or

B. Planned to have a lot of this stuff at different points but pushed it all into the finale out of fear that the show would be cancelled

Most obvious case in point: Steven fuses with Garnet AND Pearl AND all 3 of the gems for the first time, whereas every other fusion in the series got entire episodes dedicated to both their introduction and almost always extra ones to their development. Is there really any reason they couldn't have just made episodes about these new characters (versions of characters, whatever) alongside some of the SOL stuff? 

Maybe I need to rewatch the show without CN's shitty release schedule, but there is a very confused tone, especially to season 4, because it constantly flip-flops between Plot mode and I don't care and neither did the writers mode when surely the best way to craft any show is to make sure it blends properly and none of the episodes feel out-of-place, as compared to all of them.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

• 2 weeks later...

i loved the finale and im so ready for season 6 and the movie. i'd imagine that season 6 would pick up after what happened and that

the new uncorrupted gems would adjust to life on earth (or go back to homeworld) and we'd see how homeworld adjusts to how the diamonds are now and whatnot.

i'm quite excited to see where it picks up. i'm also going to be incredibly sad when the show ends because i am ridiculously attached to these characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I know it's been a few weeks since someone said anything in this thread, but I can't wait for the movie to come out. Does anyone know when it's supposed to release? Also, I'm hoping for a theatrical release for it.

24 minutes ago, DGam'r said:

Man, I know it's been a few weeks since someone said anything in this thread, but I can't wait for the movie to come out. Does anyone know when it's supposed to release? Also, I'm hoping for a theatrical release for it.

I think I heard it's scheduled for premiering in the Fall.

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Remember that Steven Universe movie?

It's also a musical.

Well duh.

Chance the Rapper and Gallant...?