Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Hidden Content

Well Onion's now had two episodes centred around him, he's also the second side-character where you've now seen his whole family (Connie being the first, also count is including the presence/whereabouts of the mother and father). Other characters we've only either seen the father or only heard of the mother.

Edit: Oh, seems I'm not alone with thinking this: Steven Universe Reddit - 'I'm autistic and I'm pretty sure Onion is autistic'

Edited by Mogtaki

I really enjoyed yesterday's episode. I'm glad Amethyst had someone to bond and talk to, and I enjoyed Steven's little adventure in Onion land. And speaking of onion, I was afraid he was going to be annoying in this episode, but he was actually pretty great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Loved tonight's episode. I felt like it was subtly about Pearl's recent mistakes and her attempts to overcome them.

A perfect Pearl who's always on the up-and-up would be boring, just as the original script's William Dewey would have been. Pearl having real flaws, as well as a genuine desire for self-improvement, really is a major part of what makes her such a great character.

Anyway, it was fun. Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

• Thumbs Up 6

Another cool episode and I enjoyed but....can we focus back on the Gems plz? One episode I can deal with, but now there's only new episode left...

I'm glad to see that Jamie have some dignity and hasn't been relegated to the guy who hopelessly chases after Garnet or the hopeless artist who never gets anywhere archetype.  Anyway, he's a really good character in this.  His bond with Steven is pretty adorable in a big brother/little brother sort of way, and I really love how you can see why the play means so much to him in the final product.  Pearl is also pretty great in this episode.  This has been a really nice and gradual rekindling of her relationship with Garnet.  We've seen the conflict, we've seen her grieve, and now we've seen her taken baby steps into learning from her mistakes and improving herself.  Character development.  Fuck.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 7

Oh look at that. I'm caught up with the series now. It.. went a lot faster than I thought. Well, anyway, I do have one small question. Call me stupid but 

I don't understand why Garnet was so mad about Pearl wanting to fuse with her? I mean, sure, it's a distraction but.. other than that I don't see why she was so pissed. Is it because fusion is something people that love each other very much do? Because that would be.. confusing still. Fusions still happened before.. but was it that Pearl wanted to be fused a lot show that she wanted to get with Garnet? @_@ I mean, I do feel bad for her, not having a companion, what with Rose gone and her having married Greg before that. But maybe it's not about relationships? No matter what way I look at it, it still confuses me... and I saw a few people here hating on Pearl in the status updates. I just don't understand it. :L

Oh look at that. I'm caught up with the series now. It.. went a lot faster than I thought. Well, anyway, I do have one small question. Call me stupid but 

Hidden Content

I think it's more that Pearl tricked her by rebuilding the hub, thereby distracting the team from their mission. It was taking advantage of Garnet's trust, which was a pretty big deal to her.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uh, you might wanna put that in spoiler tags. D: But um.. that sorta makes sense.

I still think she overreacted a bit but maybe it was because it happened for the first time? Or maybe the first time in a long while? 

Also, keep in mind that all this takes place not too long after the discovery of the forced fusion experiments in the "Kindergarten", essentially a perversion of everything Garnet stands for with fusion. Pearl's stunt, with that in mind, was certainly the last straw for her. It really did seem like Pearl bought into what Jasper said about fusion being just "a cheap tactic to make weak Gems stronger."

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

Oh yeahhh. That was messed up. Now it's starting to make a little more sense. 

So... Pearl was originally part of some assembly line back on Homeworld?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know some people didn't like how two of the episodes focused on secondary characters, but I loved this arc regardless. I was so happy to see them focus on Pearl's character more, and I'm glad they showed Garnet and Pearl as imperfect characters with flaws, which is somewhat of a change from what we usually see. As Steven said in Historical Friction, that would be boring!

But my heart completely shattered when Pearl broke down in Friend Ship. As sad as it is, I want to know more about what she meant that she is "just a pearl" (though I completely support the theory that pearls are servants of some sort on Homeworld). 

Hidden Content

I definitely think it has to do with how personal and sacred fusion is to Garnet.

She lost it in Keeping it Together, and in Keystone Motel Ruby says something to Sapphire like "It's fusion, nothing is more personal to us than fusion". Thinking about it more though, by rebuilding the tower, Pearl could have increased the chances of Peridot's message reaching homeword. That fact alone would probably be enough to make Garnet mad, but pairing it with lying to her to fuse, I can see why Garnet was so angry.

Edited by Sapphire
  • Thumbs Up 4

But my heart completely shattered when Pearl broke down in Friend Ship.

Same here! That has to be one of the deepest moments if not the deepest in the entire show so far!

Oh yeahhh. That was messed up. Now it's starting to make a little more sense. 

There's also questions raised about consent. Pearl was muscling into Ruby and Sapphire's relationship under false pretenses and that's pretty skeevy.

I'd be pissed too if I found out one my teammates/closest friends was just using me as an 'empowerment boost' tool and using something crucial to finding a dangerous convict on the loose to repeatedly do so. Combined what others have said already about the discovery of the Gem Chimera and how personal fusion is to Garnet, it's justified why she acted the way she did. Even if you get behind why Pearl did what she did, her actions were manipulative and damaging towards someone she cares about and looks up to. You shouldn't build self-esteem from knocking down somebody else's.  

Edited by DarkLight

I wonder if during the gem war, Pearl was part of an ensemble of other Pearl's just like her and they were (before war was forced upon them) servants/pacifists that just loved to serve Rose Quartz? I also have to wonder if Rose had different views on fusion since Garnet stuck around with her, giving how fusions were treat back at the Gem homeworld.

So many questions... It's Gravity Fall's all over again...

I wonder if during the gem war, Pearl was part of an ensemble of other Pearl's just like her and they were (before war was forced upon them) servants/pacifists that just loved to serve Rose Quartz? I also have to wonder if Rose had different views on fusion since Garnet stuck around with her, giving how fusions were treat back at the Gem homeworld.

People think she was a butler-type. Would explain her weapon too since spears are usually seen as a weapon a guard would have.

Something I took away from the show is that Fusion is different for every gem.  Some are very discriminate about whom they fuse with, while others can fuse with just about any willing partner.  Of course, we also have forced fusions, which lead to some very unsettling implications.  It wouldn't surprise me if Rose had different thoughts on how she views her own personal fusion, while she and Garnet probably shared a mutual respect for each other's own boundaries in regards to it.