Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Hm, apparently, in today's new episode, some new bits of information was revealed in regards to one of the gems. I accidentally slept through when it aired, so at the risk of spoilers, can someone who did watch it tell me what went down?

Hm, apparently, in today's new episode, some new bits of information was revealed in regards to one of the gems. I accidentally slept through when it aired, so at the risk of spoilers, can someone who did watch it tell me what went down?

putting in spoilers just in case (because it's pretty dang spoilery-- essentially a plot synopsis)

It's Peridot. She tries to force Steven to fix the Homeworld warp, but it obviously doesn't work. She gets poofed by Garnet, forcing her to retreat into her gem and lose her armor (or "limb enhancers" as Peridot calls them). Later that night, Steven goes into the temple and awakens her, and she tries to escape, and ends up locking herself in Steven's bathroom. The Gems don't fight her because they know they won't be able to get her information if she's in her gem. And... well that's it really. Well, basically anyway. 

So Peridot lives in Steven's bathroom now.

Edited by Penny
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, yeah, "Catch and Release" was fantastic.

Peridot has become my favorite character. I loved her in this episode, and am hoping to see her continue to grow and develop as a character in future episodes.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I hope they badly edit Peridot into the opening. Like, just a cut and paste static image of her moving around awkwardly.

Seriously though, that was a really good episode. I'm curious to see how long Peridot is gonna be in Steven's bathroom. Maybe just a few episodes? Until the end of Season 2? Somewhere in between?

Also, on a clearly more important note:

tumblr_nv7bnynJC31r48jl9o1_400.png

SHE IS SMALL

• Thumbs Up 3

So I found a pretty interesting theory about Lion. I don't think this has been posted here before, so I figured it was worth sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1

AAAAA SMOL PERIDOT IS THE BEST PERIDOT

BONUS: tumblr_inline_nv7cw3zHZz1r2cxw0_540.gif

That episode is so cute! And she may have a role in the next episode too! According to the sneek peeks!

That short was adorable. Glad we're getting more of these! 

Also, oh man, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. I'm so psyched to see more Peridot, and have been anticipating "When It Rains" all week. Can't wait to see how she and Steven get along going forward. I just have a soft spot for funny/redeemable villains, I guess.

That short still begs the question as to how gems are made on the Homeworld.  Do they suck up nutrients from their own world as well?  Do they live in a world with nothing but soil and compost and other metamorphic materials?  What is the internet?

Too many unanswered questions.

• Thumbs Up 2

That short still begs the question as to how gems are made on the Homeworld.  Do they suck up nutrients from their own world as well?  Do they live in a world with nothing but soil and compost and other metamorphic materials?  What is the internet?

Too many unanswered questions.

I've been thinking the same thing. If I had to guess, Homeworld was drained completely, or almost entirely at least. Then they figured out space travel and started using other planets to make gems instead, even if it means invading previously occupied planets. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if only planets that support(ed) life can be used for gem production, which would explain why they'd bother going to war with Rose and co. over a single planet instead of just being like "lol who cares there's a billion planets out there see ya later nerds".

Edited by Celestia

I've been thinking the same thing. If I had to guess, Homeworld was drained completely, or almost entirely at least. Then they figured out space travel and started using other planets to make gems instead, even if it means invading previously occupied planets. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if only planets that support(ed) life can be used for gem production, which would explain why they'd bother going to war with Rose and co. over a single planet instead of just being like "lol who cares there's a billion planets out there see ya later nerds".

My headcanon is pretty much the same.  I've considered, however, that Earth is only planet they've found that would support gem production, since planets supporting life is one thing, but supporting life the way Earth does requires an extremely specific set of circumstances that the majority of the universe probably doesn't have.  But that's assuming real world astronomy is in any way applicable to astronomy in Steven Universe, which might not be and probably isn't the case.  I'm quite curious to see how they answer these questions, though.  If they do anytime soon.

Edited by Spooky Scary Skeletaras

My headcanon is pretty much the same.  I've considered, however, that Earth is only planet they've found that would support gem production, since planets supporting life is one thing, but supporting life the way Earth does requires an extremely specific set of circumstances that the majority of the universe probably doesn't have.  But that's assuming real world astronomy is in any way applicable to astronomy in Steven Universe, which might not be and probably isn't the case.  I'm quite curious to see how they answer these questions, though.  If they do anytime soon.

Planets like Mars and such probably have been sucked dry by the Gems in their universe. Rose might've wanted to defend Earth the most because humans were so alike to them and she felt that connection to them through her abilities (which are life-based). But I dunno about Rose, I mean the only reveal regarding Earth is that she loves humans.

Either way, can see why Homeworld would see the Crystal Gems as traitors to their kind by stopping them from making more of their own kind, even killing their own to prevent more Gems from being made.

"all the good stuff" is a little vague, the visuals presented seemed to imply draining "life", which is difficult to map onto a specific chemical.  I assume that a gem becoming "alive" doesn't have anything to do with how a gem is actually made, as the living gems seem to start out as normal gemstones.   

OK, so Peridot doesn't know what rain is?  Interestingly implies that homeworld has no weather.  That or she's dependent upon her screen to the point where most of her knowledge is stored in it and without it she's clueless to things she'd be familiar with otherwise... Like the episode where Spock's brain gets stolen.

Edited by Phos

Man, "When It Rains" was adorable. Seeing Peridot bond with Steven was really heartwarming, and man, the Cluster is a way bigger threat than I expected. This is gonna be good. 

Anyway, Peridot is the best gem:

tumblr_inline_nvkc02VJ9h1tt8hc0_540.gif

Looking forward to "Back to the Barn," which apparently involves Peridot and the others building robots. I can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting episode, to say the least.

This is my favourite scene in the show now. Seeing her begin to trust Steven is really interesting--their interaction throughout the episode was adorable. I'm glad she finally decided to tell the other Crystal Gems about the Cluster; as much as I love Peridot and Steven, there's no way they could handle it on their own.

Oh yeah, speaking of that, everyone is doomed. And that's terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really interesting to see how Peridot went from an analytical and snobby antagonist to a still-snobby-but-also-really-vulnerable character. Mostly because she's now without her limb enhancements and what made her an effective threat to the Gems. At first I felt her desire to leave Earth was because she considered it a mudball planet with none of her technology, but really, she's fearing for her life because of the Cluster like anyone would if they knew like she does. And seeing her actually be a midget and convey so much expression than before has been fun to watch. 

Perhaps the reason why she hasn't heard from Yellow Diamond is because YD considers her good as dead she she likely knows about the Cluster as well? Just when I thought Homeworld Gems couldn't be anymore callous and deplorable towards their kind with those Gem Mutants yeahIjuststcikwithGemChimeraifthatsokaywitheverybody.

Yeah. I can't see Peridot returning to Yellow Diamond after this, especially since she's now actively trying to stop one of Homeworld's biggest superweapons in order to save her own life. Even if her motives are (for the time being) self-serving, the result will be the same: She'll have severed her ties with Homeworld, and have nowhere left to go but the Crystal Gems.

Our tiny evil genius is definitely on the path to reforming altogether soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, "When it Rains" was fantastic! My favorite bit was just the bonding between Steven and Peridot, but the background music that went with it. It was perfectly fitting to the entire scene!

They really tried to stuff a lot into one episode though and the cliffhanger was pretty abrupt, but yea...damn good  episode.